The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the government have the right to alter the tradition, and at the minute according to the latest poll (not sure how many people they asked) the uk public, majoritively, want it as well.

Frankly NO !

Because the institution into which she married has called the Kings wife 'Queen'.... for over a THOUSAND years...

And no-one [not ever the king himself] should have the right to alter that tradition [let alone for the reason of 'feelings'].

To me there is a big difference between Camilla choosing not to be known as Queen and being legally denied the title.

If she would rather be known as Princess Consort rather than Queen out of choice then I respect that and don't think its unreasonable. I would call her it without any problems just as I accept her as 'Duchess of Cornwall' rather than 'Princess of Wales' and the decision of The Duchess of Kent to be known as Katherine Kent.

However I think taking the title off her legally would make the Government of the day look rather petty and against Camilla for reasons that should be laid to rest and not for a government to discuss or act upon. She has used the title of Duchess rather than Princess of Wales without it being a problem. Personally I suspect Camilla doesn't give a fig about titles and can see her not wanting to be Queen in the hope it puts her under less pressure, attention and gives her more freedom.

How was the question/s asked?

Was it worded so that it is leading? (ex: like the headline & article)

1. Do you think the wife of a King should be a Queen?
(If respondent say yes except Camilla than it would count against her.)

2. Should Camilla be Princess Consort when Charles become King?
(This question is leading the respondent to pick Princess Consort.)

3. Should Camilla become Queen when Charles becomes King?
(This is still leading the respondent as it gave them a option specific to Camilla.)

The only fair/non-leading question is #1.

Some surveys have open ended questions even although they appear to be only yes & no questions The interviewer doesn't give you the option but if you state something different they will record it. (From someone who created & worked on surveys.)

Now armed with new, Regent-style authority — taking on more of the monarch's duties — the Prince of Wales steps up his media activities.

In one week alone, Charles tells the NHS to improve food in hospitals and calls those who don't accept global warming predictions 'headless chickens'.

You don't often hear people arguing in favour of worse food in hospitals. So he appears to be on safe ground there

Charles's other public intervention — characterising those who don't accept global warming theories as 'headless chickens' — was curious.

If anyone's behaving like headless chickens right now, surely it's the environmental experts who claim every freak storm is a symptom of global warming.
PETER MCKAY: Is Prince Charles becoming 'too easy to know'? | Mail Online

Last edited:
Not if it was a condition of her agreeing to take on the whole 'Thing', which many sources including those in the PB family contend. If so, Charles should honor his agreement with her...though it's Charles, so he's not exactly accustomed to not getting his own way.

though it's Charles, so he's not exactly accustomed to not getting his own way.

Yes, thanks God His Royal Highness finally married a woman who knows how to properly behave as a consort.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall complete each other. One will always do everything to ensure the other is happy.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks God His Royal Highness finally married a woman who knows how to properly behave as a consort.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Conrwall complete each other. One will always do everything to ensure the other is happy.

Peace it's a beautiful thing.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall complete each other. One will always do everything to ensure the other is happy.

Welcome to the forum Royal_Royal. Nice of you to bring a swipe at wife 1 into it completely for no reason. Not getting into Camilla and Charles behaving properly...

If 'One will always do everything to ensure the other is happy' and SHE doesnt want to be queen, then who are any of us to insist it be otherwise?

If 'One will always do everything to ensure the other is happy' and SHE doesnt want to be queen, then who are any of us to insist it be otherwise?

I totally agree.

If she didn't want to be Queen, then you kind of have to question why she married a man who will one day be King.

While I understand that Camilla has never really been one to want the limelight, and in all reality doesn't seem to have pursued her relationship with Charles with the expectation of fame, wealth, and titles (which is NOT something that can be said of essentially any other royal spouse), I think she would have had to have been incredibly naive and even stupid if she thought she could avoid any of that once she agreed to marry Charles.

I think if they decide to go with the Princess title because Camilla doesn't want to be Queen then they'll be saying that to them tradition isn't important. And if they do it out of respect to the Diana fans then they're saying that Camilla is somehow less than Diana, despite having proved herself in her own right. I'm not trying to make a crack at Diana here, I'm just saying that Diana was not better than Camilla - nor am I saying that Camilla is better than Diana; they each have their flaws and they each have their merits, and they each deserve to be recognized for what they achieved.

You make some good points, Ish. Why did she marry him? Maybe he followed her around like a puppy telling her he needed her beside him and that he wanted to honour her by making her his wife and begging her to marry him and insisting that she needn't be Queen when the time came if she really didn't want to, and because she was head over heels in love with him she said yes. Their situation is unique and at the time maybe it seemed to make sense. And HM seems to have gone along with it.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but according to the DM Camilla insists she DOESN'T want to be Queen because of the memory of Diana, but says she intends to be Princess Consort | Mail Online

Yes the article is a few years old and I know the Mail is never the best source in the world but still it does shed a bit of light on this.

Camilla said she didn't want to be known as Queen Consort out of deference to the memory of Diana which is also the reason she uses Duchess of Cornwall as her title rather than Princess of Wales, which she would be perfectly entitled to use.

If these truly are the reasons behind the change in title my admiration for the Duchess of Cornwall might have gone up a few notches.

I don't think it's a point of that she doesn't want to be called Queen. I think this is all politics and ultimately the ones making the decision are her husband Prince Charles, his advisors and Queen Elizabeth.

I agree she has never struck me as one all caught up in titles. She probably doesn't care if she's called Queen of Sheba or Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

Welcome to the forum Royal_Royal. Nice of you to bring a swipe at wife 1 into it completely for no reason. Not getting into Camilla and Charles behaving properly...

Thank you.

So, let's check if I understood everything correctly: it's okay to attack The Prince of Wales saying he's a spoiled man who wants everything on his way, but we can't say something negative about his late ex-wife.

Double standards. I got it.

Last edited:
Thank you.

So, let's check if I understood everything correctly: it's okay to attack The Prince of Wales saying he's a spoiled man who wants everything on his way, but we can't say something negative about his late ex-wife.

Ah touché !! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but according to the DM Camilla insists she DOESN'T want to be Queen because of the memory of Diana, but says she intends to be Princess Consort | Mail Online

Yes the article is a few years old and I know the Mail is never the best source in the world but still it does shed a bit of light on this.

Camilla said she didn't want to be known as Queen Consort out of deference to the memory of Diana which is also the reason she uses Duchess of Cornwall as her title rather than Princess of Wales, which she would be perfectly entitled to use.

If these truly are the reasons behind the change in title my admiration for the Duchess of Cornwall might have gone up a few notches.

While I do believe Camilla preferred the title of Duchess of Cornwall over Princess of Wales in respect for the late Diana, Princess of Wales, I don't think that was the sole reason at the time. Of course she loved and respected Charles and knew Charles had fond memories of Diana and she was the mother of his sons, to jump into the role of Princess of Wales at her age was a very daunting prospect. She was very much a quiet, out of the limelight kind of person and the idea of a very visible, public role probably scared the bejeebees out of her. It would also make sense that as the Duchess of Cornwall, she'd be carving out her own niche in life and as we've seen, she's done it admirably with grace and decorum yet people who've met her have seen the warm, funny, down to earth side of her.

I had to smile reading one of the posts about how Charles could have possibly pleaded and cajoled her into marrying him and becoming his consort in life. It made me flash back to the days where it took Bertie three proposals before his Elizabeth to agree to marry him and we all know how strong of a marriage that turned out to be as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. I see that kind of strength today in Charles and Camilla's marriage and no matter what Camilla is known as when Charles is King, she will always have his back, be his best friend and confidante and do what is expected of a King's consort with the best of her ability.

Thank you.

Actually I don't see the statement of Charles being a spoiled man who wants everything his way as being a slur. Its kind of a well known fact that Charles is very much a perfectionist and a stickler for things and I believe I've even read that he's stated as much. For example, things at Highgrove have to be exactly in their own spot and as we've seen with Charles' appearance, he's always perfectly groomed and not a hair out of place etc. Its one reason Camilla likes to escape to her bolt hole where chaos can reign a bit and muddy boots can track through the house and children can make cookies and a mess doing it.

With this in mind, I can very much see how Charles as King will not be a halfhearted, just listen to the advisors and let others do the work kind of reign. Charles will be as much as a perfectionist in every aspect of his reign as he is with any other endeavor he's taken on in his lifetime. I think in his case, perfectionism is a great asset although it can be demanding on others.

You make some good points, Ish. Why did she marry him? Maybe he followed her around like a puppy telling her he needed her beside him and that he wanted to honour her by making her his wife and begging her to marry him and insisting that she needn't be Queen when the time came if she really didn't want to, and because she was head over heels in love with him she said yes. Their situation is unique and at the time maybe it seemed to make sense. And HM seems to have gone along with it.

I'm never really sure if I buy the whole "Camilla doesn't want to be Queen and her not being so was a part of the deal when they got married" argument. To me it almost seems like they're saying she doesn't want to be Queen so that the people who think she should be go "oh, well, I guess it's not what she wants so it's okay," and the people who don't think she should be go "well, good, she shouldn't be anyways."

I think Camilla married Charles because she's in love with him. She may not have ever wanted the titles and the fame, but I think she's been willing to accept them and the whole "Princess Consort" thing is just her trying to make people happy, or at least less angry, with her. I don't think it was a necessary condition for her to enter into the marriage but rather a condition that she thought was necessary for the people to accept the marriage.

I'm never really sure if I buy the whole "Camilla doesn't want to be Queen and her not being so was a part of the deal when they got married" argument. To me it almost seems like they're saying she doesn't want to be Queen so that the people who think she should be go "oh, well, I guess it's not what she wants so it's okay," and the people who don't think she should be go "well, good, she shouldn't be anyways."

I think Camilla married Charles because she's in love with him. She may not have ever wanted the titles and the fame, but I think she's been willing to accept them and the whole "Princess Consort" thing is just her trying to make people happy, or at least less angry, with her. I don't think it was a necessary condition for her to enter into the marriage but rather a condition that she thought was necessary for the people to accept the marriage.

I agree with you. That's why I think The Duchess of Cornwall is a great woman, not worrying about herself and her own problems, but thinking about the greater good.

Queen or Princess Consort, I'm sure Her Royal Highness will go down in history as a great consort for her beloved King Charles III.

IMO, stating that the Duchess of Cornwall would be known as Princess consort at the time of Charles' taking the throne was a PR measure taken to placate the people who felt that Camilla was somehow taking Diana's place. I don't think it was ever really intended to be serious. The palace was betting that HMQ would have the same longevity as her mother and that enough time would pass where cooler heads would prevail and Camilla's rightful title as Charles' wife would be honored. If the public still railed against it, there would be the Princess Consort title to keep the peace.

Honestly, we're getting close to 20 years since Diana's death. And whether or not Camilla "proved herself" as a productive member of the BRF (which she has) isn't the point. She is the wife of the heir; when he assumes the throne, she'll be queen. Period. It isn't a matter of "earned or unearned."

It's clear to me that Camilla just wanted to be married to Charles. She could have just continued a relationship with him without marriage and eliminated the pressures of royal life but she chose to go all in with him. I don't think it's a matter of her wanting the Princess Consort title so much as a) that's the line they've been spouting since 2005; b) the time when this will be relevant is hopefully some time off, long-lived as HM seems to be; and c) she just doesn't care all that much about being queen. Her priority is supporting her husband and that's admirable.

Long story short: Camilla will be queen. I just hope she is styled as such.

It's going to be interesting how everything will be addressed and how will things unfold when the time comes. I'm not looking forward to those moments because I think it's going to be one big headache for everybody involved but I hope once things calm down, Charles's succession will go down smoothly.

I truly want Camilla to be Queen but I've read that she doesn't want to be named as Queen Consort. If that is true then I hope she is persuaded to change her mind. Otherwise, that reason will be denounced as just an excuse and the haters will just say she is not good enough.

I know there will be dissenters but better to face them down and stand as Queen Consort beside your King. I think the majority will support her.

I truly want Camilla to be Queen but I've read that she doesn't want to be named as Queen Consort. If that is true then I hope she is persuaded to change her mind. Otherwise, that reason will be denounced as just an excuse and the haters will just say she is not good enough.

I know there will be dissenters but better to face them down and stand as Queen Consort beside your King. I think the majority will support her.

Agree totally. I have always liked her and the fact her and Charles seem so content together, it's heartwarming. They both deserve to be happy and at the end of the day the title should reflect the position.

To me, it is simple if Camilla is going to do the duties of a Queen Consort then she should be called Queen Consort . It would be different if she wanted to act like a private individual and not do royal duties like the Duchess of Kent did for several years later in her marriage.

To me, it is simple if Camilla is going to do the duties of a Queen Consort then she should be called Queen Consort . It would be different if she wanted to act like a private individual and not do royal duties like the Duchess of Kent did for several years later in her marriage.

I think Her Royal Highness will perform the duties of Queen the same way she currently performs her duties of Princess of Wales.

Long story short: The Duchess of Cornwall will be a hard-working and devoted Queen.

IMO, stating that the Duchess of Cornwall would be known as Princess consort at the time of Charles' taking the throne was a PR measure taken to placate the people who felt that Camilla was somehow taking Diana's place. I don't think it was ever really intended to be serious. The palace was betting that HMQ would have the same longevity as her mother and that enough time would pass where cooler heads would prevail and Camilla's rightful title as Charles' wife would be honored. If the public still railed against it, there would be the Princess Consort title to keep the peace.

Honestly, we're getting close to 20 years since Diana's death. And whether or not Camilla "proved herself" as a productive member of the BRF (which she has) isn't the point. She is the wife of the heir; when he assumes the throne, she'll be queen. Period. It isn't a matter of "earned or unearned."

It's clear to me that Camilla just wanted to be married to Charles. She could have just continued a relationship with him without marriage and eliminated the pressures of royal life but she chose to go all in with him. I don't think it's a matter of her wanting the Princess Consort title so much as a) that's the line they've been spouting since 2005; b) the time when this will be relevant is hopefully some time off, long-lived as HM seems to be; and c) she just doesn't care all that much about being queen. Her priority is supporting her husband and that's admirable.

Long story short: Camilla will be queen. I just hope she is styled as such.

The reason why it was announced -formally, let's not forget- by the palace at the event of Charles and Camilla's wedding (which after all was not that long ago) that she would be styled Princess Consort when he becomes king may have been whatever it may have been -a sincere statement or one reasoned as you describe above. The heart of the matter is, it was official -and as official as it could be. Nothing has officially retracted it since. And nothing can do it. If the palace said so -when they had every expectation as you say that Elizabeth will live long-, it stays, whatever the reason for saying it might have been. It's a matter of dignity and decency for them to stick to it. If they don't, it's just going to hurt enormously the monarchy and Charles' reign -alas in a manner that will show in further depth of time. I really hope they don't. And if those who wish the best for Charles' reign want to be of any of use of him, I hope they don't advise him otherwise.
Camilla as Princess Consort will formally be the woman standing next to the King. And she can be as good and helpful consort to him as Albert was to Victoria. It's stupid to risk the seriousness of a whole insitution for something more than that -this is good enough already. For God's sake, people who easily voice opinion otherwise, should simply lend an ear to the arguments of the republicans on the matter...

Last edited:
The reason why it was announced -formally, let's not forget- by the palace at the event of Charles and Camilla's wedding (which after all was not that long ago) that she would be styled Princess Consort when he becomes king may have been whatever it may have been -a sincere statement or one reasoned as you describe above. The heart of the matter is, it was official -and as official as it could be. Nothing has officially retracted it since. And nothing can do it. If the palace said so -when they had every expectation as you say that Elizabeth will live long-, it stays, whatever the reason for saying it might have been. It's a matter of dignity and decency for them to stick to it. If they don't, it's just going to hurt enormously the monarchy and Charles' reign -alas in a manner that will show in further depth of time. I really hope they don't. And if those who wish the best for Charles' reign want to be of any of use of him, I hope they don't advise him otherwise.
Camilla as Princess Consort will formally be the woman standing next to the King. And she can be as good and helpful consort to him as Albert was to Victoria. It's stupid to risk the seriousness of a whole insitution for something more than that -this is good enough already. For God's sake, people who easily voice opinion otherwise, should simply lend an ear to the arguments of the republicans on the matter...

They said it is intended that The Duchess of Cornwall would be called Princess Consort, so I think they simply opened a possibility and not settled the matter. There's still room for The Duchess of Cornwall be Queen, and that's what she should be, when we take law and tradition in consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom