The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to see if Charles will use his (probably not that long) reign to reform the monarchy.
Only have close family members working for the Royal House, only having a London base and one country house, making abdications possible, reducing costs, the monarch not as the head of the church of England anymore, more countries of the Commonwealth becoming indepent states,...

That could be his legacy, being the monarchyreforming king.

What do you think he would reform?

Silly question.
There are different types of republics possible?

I think the last time Australia went to vote on whether or not to become a republic they were asked to vote on whether to remain a monarchy or to become a republic with a President voted and choosen by Parliament. Whilst most people voted to remain a monarchy it was interpreted by some as a vote against letting politians choose a head of state rather than keeping the Queen as such.
A republic could be made up of a President and a Prime Minister like France, a President acting pretty much alone such as in America or a President largely symbolic who could be chosen by public vote or chosen by Parliament.

I think, like all things, we will have to wait until that time comes. I have learned never to say never, as each circumstances dictates a different outcome. I am sure that the nations involved will make a wise choice for themselves.

I think the last time Australia went to vote on whether or not to become a republic they were asked to vote on whether to remain a monarchy or to become a republic with a President voted and choosen by Parliament. Whilst most people voted to remain a monarchy it was interpreted by some as a vote against letting politians choose a head of state rather than keeping the Queen as such.
A republic could be made up of a President and a Prime Minister like France, a President acting pretty much alone such as in America or a President largely symbolic who could be chosen by public vote or chosen by Parliament.

Since peoples are getting PC about England, U.K I wanted to say that It is not 'America' it is Called The United State. America is a continent which consist a large area if Land in the Western Hemisphere which the U.S (a country) is located in.

Since peoples are getting PC about England, U.K I wanted to say that It is not 'America' it is Called The United State. America is a continent which consist a large area if Land in the Western Hemisphere which the U.S (a country) is located in.

I wonder if Kate Smith knew that when she used to belt out "God Bless America" cause I am pretty sure she wasn't including Canada or Mexico. Do the Boy Scouts of America know that they should be renamed the Boy Scouts of the US of A?

As someone who lives in North America but not the United States, I can assure you America means the US. It is the United States of America, and other countries within the Americas (North and South) don't typically consider themselves to be from America.

As for the England vs. UK debate, there is a huge difference. Calling Elizabeth the Queen of England excludes Scotland, North Ireland, or Wales. England is just one kingdom within one of HM's realms.

I agree, though I try to NOT use "America," there are times that I am stymied. And I do rework the verbiage on most of my posts (imagine what it would be like if I did not :eek: )

You are technically correct, though there is so much "America" in the idiom of the language that it is difficult to parse.
America the Beautiful, Made in America, Coming to America, Living in America... etc. And I am OFF TOPIC, again. No pudding for me, tonight.

"The States" works fairly well - except that trods on the feet of too many other counties as well.

And we are part of North America and there are South and Central America as well.

I agree, though I try to NOT use "America," there are times that I am stymied. And I do rework the verbiage on most of my posts (imagine what it would be like if I did not :eek: )

You are technically correct, though there is so much "America" in the idiom of the language that it is difficult to parse.
America the Beautiful, Made in America, Coming to America, Living in America... etc. And I am OFF TOPIC, again. No pudding for me, tonight.

"The States" works fairly well - except that trods on the feet of too many other counties as well.

And we are part of North America and there are South and Central America as well.

Some Brazilian textbooks and scholars are now using the "estadunidense" (seems that there's no equivalent term in english) to describe people and thing from the United States (Estados Unidos, in portuguese).

They think that an "american" can be someone from Brazil, Canada, Mexico or any other country in American continent. And I agree with them.

The textbooks I use use America to mean the USA while all other countries in the Americas get their own name.

The textbooks I use use America to mean the USA while all other countries in the Americas get their own name.

Which should not be right, IMHO. It is another ugly American (see even that idiom does it) thing. Obviously, though, I need a bracelet that sends a shock every time I abuse the use of AMERICA. ;)

Well thank you for the geography lesson. As someone who comes from Wales I have never once complained at the people (often Americans I may add) who call the Queen , the Queen of England. If people want to say that then let them say it. But if we're going to technical I meant the United State of America, The French Republic, and The Republic of Ireland.

But it is the way we here view it - 'America' means the USA and is the standard abbreviation - if someoone says 'I am going to America we all know they are going to the USA'. I suppose because so many Americans refer to their country as America on TV and in the movies is a reason why it is seen as right.

As an American, I use America & the US interchangeably.

I really wonder (and worry a little) about how Charles will cope with not being able to express his opinion and "meddle" (to quote others) in matters so much. I wonder if Charles as King would stomach an official visit from China for example.

:previous: That is the nature of a Constitutional Monarchy! His mother visited China so why on earth would Charles pitch a hissy fit if he had to host an official state visit from China or any other country for that matter? That is what his mother is there for and that is what the Monarchy is there for.

As to expressing his opinion, we only hear from those who don't agree with him having the same right as every other citizen in his present position as POW. He can express to his heart's content. No one has to do what he asks/wants/demands (depending on your opinion as to what he is doing) however, I would love to be a fly on the wall when HM has her weekly meeting with the PM. I am sure she expresses her opinion to her hearts content, it is up to the PM as to whether what she says has any merit and therefore influences his thinking.

I am stunned that people still think that QEII is some sort of absolute monarch and actually rules over both the UK and a large part of The Commonwealth. She reigns as Head of State by the will of the people. She is Head of The Commonwealth which is, these days, a group of countries with a common past and a connection which enables them to facilitate trade, etc. in a way that most other countries cannot. In contrast, the G8 squabble all the time and pontificate at great length to little effect except their own agenda's. The UN Security Council still spends most time vetoing each other in the Third Millennium version of "I've got more guns, rockets, and testosterone than you have"!

So give me my Queen and our membership in the Commonwealth and;
So far we do not seem to be having a major problem with it but I am sure if we ever do we will let you know. As a former Canadian PM said on the subject "If it ain't broken, why try and fix it".

I think so, though it may not be that far off in the future as people imagine. I am acutely aware of the Queen's personal position. If she has successfully embedded herself in a support system of daughter and daughters-in-law and grandchildren, then that may off-set what is looming - the death of Prince Philip.

I've mentioned this before - keeping in mind that life and death can never be predicted - couples who have lived their lives entwined as long as these two, have deep connections. With the death of one the other would not be far behind, especially at their ages. The left behind does not have the life forces to withstand the shock and at these ages would (often times) begin to fail fast. This is what I have observed with older couples like the Queen and Philip. In fact, with Philip's current situation I would not be surprised if the Queen is beginning to manifest a more pronounced decline herself (to her intimate circle).

With Philip's exit - and there will come a point when he will not 'be there' for her even in life (he may not be already) - the Queen will have lost her last personal support from the past. Her mother and sister are also gone - she alone remains of her generational family. If this were any other couple with this history of working together, I would say that with Philip's passing, the Queen would shortly follow. However, there are key elements that I am not privy to, so my surmise cannot be taken seriously - of course.

Just like in the lives of infants, weeks and months and a year or two have far more significance (the difference 3 years can make between a one year old and a four year old), the same starts to hold for the very old. Three years is huge and the progression of aging begins to speed up as the physical systems - and the will - begin to fail and flag. That is what is beginning with Philip - that is what I see in pictures of Philip - it has been evident for quite some time, actually. (When I saw the 'officiall' couple picture taken last year with the Queen and Philip for the Jubilee Year - I flashed that they - doctors, family - knew that they had to photograph back then rather than later because the awareness is there that he is failing fast. I can't look at those pictures and not be aware of how close he is to passing. The Christmas event was likely not a surprise to his doctors. Three years would be a gift. A year is possible.)

Anyway, my point is, the reality of a death - and watching Charles and Camilla step up to the plate more and more - I really hope that with a death of a regent there would not be a repeat of the disturbed public life in England the observing public from elsewhere was forced to watch so many years ago. Enough is enough in so many ways - and watching the continuing hatreds unspool endlessly around Charles and Camilla - having the temper tantrums of a few foot-stomping for continued 'revenge' govern the sane progression of life moving on - should not be allowed, as much as anyone has power over these things.

In the sadness of death - first Philip, then the Queen - which may not be that far away as people suppose - I really wonder that some people would take the event as an opportunity to yet again vent the animosities of a long ago time. What disrespect to the memory of a Queen that so many purport to love and respect in life, as we speak.

I would hope that Charles ascending the throne would be respectful, and that Camilla would be respected. That would be the greatest act of respect for the current Queen it would seem to me. In fact, she might be able to forestall some unpleasantness if the Queen makes it known what her wishes are regarding Camilla's title. Wouldn't that be a gift to her son. She really should consider it. Hope she does do some gesture to steady the succession. Maybe mention in a formal speech about 'the next King and Queen' - that would be generous (though perhaps doing so would bring out the haters and start it all up when it need not yet be an issue).

LATER: I am ambivalent about this post and came on to delete it but then waffled. I don't think its particularly 'nice' to talk about the death of someone - but my gut feeling is that it is looming at least for one individual (after a long and fruitful life) and will have ripple effects that will impact Charles (as much as the Queen). However, if a moderator thinks its a post that needs amending or deleting, I would understand. Thank you. :flowers:

Interesting post. Don't want to sound gloomy and I really hate to say this but unfortunately I don't think Prince Philip has much time left Sadly. I am not saying he going to die tomorrow or next year But I don't he has many Years left with us. He been on a Downward sprral for the last couple Years much like The Queen Mother was in the last years of her life. He is looking is frail and tired.

About The Eventual Daeth of the Queen (which give me the shivers by the way at thought of it) is something that is Inevitable but none of us will be prepared for it when it comes and it will come as a shock to all of us even so she is very eldery.

Interesting you mention about about one spouse Passing and then the other spouse is not too far behind. I have read and heard of many Couples in theirs 70s and 80s who have been married for 40, 50, 60+ Years who died within Months and sometimes even weeks of eachother!

One of my Greatmothers Died Four Weeks after her Husband. They were married for 45 Years!

BritishRoyalist wrote: ...."About The Eventual Daeth of the Queen (which give me the shivers by the way at thought of it) is something that is Inevitable but none of us will be prepared for it when it comes and it will come as a shock to all of us even so she is very eldery...." - I was just a few months old when HM became Queen. Her passing is a scenario I do not dare to imagine.

BritishRoyalist;1592651 Interesting you mention about about one spouse Passing and then the other spouse is not too far behind. [/QUOTE said:
I've also known many people who lived on after their beloved long term spouse died. In my own family I can think of 6 examples and I have a good friend of 83 in the same boat.

BritishRoyalist wrote: ...."About The Eventual Daeth of the Queen (which give me the shivers by the way at thought of it) is something that is Inevitable but none of us will be prepared for it when it comes and it will come as a shock to all of us even so she is very eldery...." - I was just a few months old when HM became Queen. Her passing is a scenario I do not dare to imagine.

By standards in the States, she is not "very elderly" Many people here at her age still do many things. My Mom is 98 and still travels on her own. When you are young, everyone else seems old. Life expectancy is much greater, today. Philip is 92, he may have health issues, I do not believe she does.

I think The Queen have her own ups and downs like many people at her age or any age for that matter.

I do wonder how the monarchy will look under Charles's reign?

I think he and Camilla may have the Cambridge/Wales family beside them more often for official engagements and functions. Charles and Camilla's relationship with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and the way they go about things (officially) seems to be pretty distant in a way. They don't team up often. Although, the four of them attending the State Opening of Parliament was a step in the right direction, IMO.

I just hope we see a more slimmer royal family when Charles comes to the throne. I really think the main focus now and in the future should be Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine and Harry and his future wife.

One thing though about a slimmer royal family would be that there is less chances of them "teaming up" as far as engagements go. I think appearing all together is/will be more for ceremonial occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I personally like the idea of them teaming up for some official engagements and on ceremonial occasions. It something we see a lot of with the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian royals. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and Charles & Camilla don't team up often enough, IMO. I hope to see a more of a family unit under Charles or at least under William's reigns.

Those other monarchies you reference undertake far fewer engagements each year than the BRF. Another thing people will need to consider with a slimmed down BRf is that there will be fewer people to undertake engagements and some organizations which currently have royal patrons and presidents will not in the future. Now this is certainly not the first time such a situation existed. In 1952 there were only QEII, Philip, QEQM, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and the Duchess of Kent around to undertake engagements. but it would be a major adjustment for the monarchy if there are only 6 or so to do all of the engagements and I do not see that happening except by natural attrition. I dont think anyone will have to give up all their official positions or cease to undertake engagements just because Charles III is on the throne.

I'm not suggesting that the other royals give up their official duties and patronages but just think the major players of the royal family should take the lead.

I like that The Duchess of Cambridge accompany The Queen on official engagements everynow and then. I also hope Charles & Camilla and William & Catherine start attending the State Opening of Parliament. I thought it was brilliant when Charles & Camilla attended this year. It's the team effort and new faces of the Monarchy I like seeing. The Monarchy needs an injection of young blood into the "Firm."

Last edited:
It used to be the case that the entire family attended the State Opening but it was seen as too extravagent so it was stopped - and rightly so. The only one who should be there is the Monarch and spouse. I see no need for Charles and Camilla to attend until Charles is King and no need for William and Kate until William is King.

Currently there are 15 working royals - The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Richard, Brigitte, Edward and Alexandra (who is supposed to be returning to work in September). They do about 3500 - 4000 a year between them which works out to an average of around 230 - 270 per person per year - or not more than 1 engagement per person per day, excluding weekends. It is figures like that that leads people to see them as not hard working and that there are too many of them - cut the number back to 6 royals and you would only double the number of engagements - on average - being done by those 6 and before anyone says - they do preparation - that average is still less than Charles and Anne do now and a little more than what Andrew and Edward do so it wouldn't be ignoring the preparation at all. It is perferctly feasible to have 6 royals to all the work currently being done by 15 when you actually analyse the figures.

So - Charles does as many as he is currently doing (about 600 last year), Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and Harry's spouse each do the same number as Charles and you have 3600 done - basically all of them covered by 6 people.

Last edited:
Your counting is unfair IMHO.

They are doing a lot more than these official engagements .. the Queen has her Red Boxes and lots of work behind closed doors, DOE the administration of Sandringham and the other belongings of the Monarch, Chares does manage the Dutchy & the Princes Trust and his belongings AND all of them have vast correspondence, meetings for their different causes and stuff, prepairing their speeches etc., prepairing for their official entertaining, dealing with the media etc.....

The Queen, DOE, POW etc. have probabely much less time to be idle and to potter around than most people do. I'm sure they work more than 8h/5 days a week. And they are so much on display (poor souls) and hounded by the press, than is healthy for anyone. Not one of them seems to be a 'Miley Cyrus' kind of person, craving for constant press scrutinity.

I'm so envious of UK that have a monarchy that works, here in Norway there is only scandals, the same in sweden. Long Live Queen Elizabeth II who truly is as some reporters said it under the diamond jubilee the irreplaceable Queen, but i think that both Charles and William will become good Kings.

Long Live Elizabeth The Great

You actually proved my case - thank you.

Charles does nearly 600 engagements a year AND does all the correspondence, preparation, running the Duchy and Princes Trust now so why can't William and Kate, Harry and his spouse and Camilla.

The Queen and Philip also did close to 600 each for about 50 years (Philip even was over 700 many times) AND did all the things you have listed above as well.

Anne has had figures like that for the last 30 or so years and done an awful lot of behind the scenes stuff as well.

If the four busiest royals can manage that year in year out for decades then so can the royals into the future.

I completely agree thata slimmed down royal family is the right way ahead.

I don't necessarily a link between the number of engagements being carried out and the popularity of the monarchy/BRF. Perhaps if the public sees/hears about fewer minor royals cutting ribbons then they will percieve the monarchy as being a leaner meaner opertaion, which is seemingly what Charles wants.

What I mean is that if the Queen's cousins all retired, then the focus would be on the more immediate royal family.

Charles does nearly 600 engagements a year AND does all the correspondence, preparation, running the Duchy and Princes Trust now so why can't William and Kate, Harry and his spouse and Camilla.

The Queen and Philip also did close to 600 each for about 50 years (Philip even was over 700 many times) AND did all the things you have listed above as well.

Anne has had figures like that for the last 30 or so years and done an awful lot of behind the scenes stuff as well.

If the four busiest royals can manage that year in year out for decades then so can the royals into the future.

a) not everyone is as strong as an ox.
b) why this expectation that they work so much more than you or I do?
c) everyone of them built his/her workload slowly up over years even decades.
d) I doubt it very much, that the Cambridges will want to see their children as little as QEII did hers - they clearly wish to raise them as much themselves as possible
e) QEII and DOE, and also Charles and Anne are bend to do, what they percives beeing their duty, in an excessive way you do not find a lot now adays - if this is healthy is another question. Clearly the Cambridges and Harry are looking for a more balanced live / work scheme. And I congratulate them on that.

I cannot see any of the other royal houses (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherland, Belgien etc) performing nearly anywhere that much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom