The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
|

That isn't entirely true. From the time they were born Charles and Anne were prince/princess because of the LPs issued by their grandfather, but they were 'of Edinburgh' because of their father.

Yeah, but saying that they got their titles from their father is inaccurate. Princess Louise's children were "of Fife" but they got their titles from their maternal grandfather who issued the LPs granting them. Their territorial designation was from their father, but their titles were from their grandfather.

Likewise, Charles and Anne may have gotten their territorial designation from the DoE, but their titles were from their grandfather. If they had gotten their titles from their father then Charles would have been Earl of Merioneth and Anne would have been Lady Anne Mountbatten.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If they had gotten their titles from their father then Charles would have been Earl of Merioneth and Anne would have been Lady Anne Mountbatten.
Suits her.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It would have been out of the ordinary, but there would have been a precedent - the daughters of Princess Louise were created princesses in 1905.
Precedents are important. Once they are established, they should not be changed.
Lady Alexandra Duff and Lady Maud Duff both began as Their Ladyships even if their mother was a Princess, who eventually became the Princess Royal.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

Precedents are important. Once they are established, they should not be changed.
Lady Alexandra Duff and Lady Maud Duff both began as Their Ladyships even if their mother was a Princess, who eventually became the Princess Royal.
Precedents are important, I agree. But I think they are only a guide and should change to adapt to different social values. The current precedent comes from the 1920s when the children of Princess Mary, the previous Princess Royal before Anne were titled as the children of an Earl and were not Royal Highnesses. In that case the Letters Patent were followed.

I think royalty has to move with the times and not get stuck in some Victorian vacuum where they become irrelevant to the modern world.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Charles III may have some changes made.
However he will be the Sovereign and only he.
No one else will be ruler of England when he is the King.
He may want some precedents left alone.
Charles deserves respect in this and any other decision he makes.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

One precedent that has gone by the wayside over the last few centuries is the role of the monarch. The monarch no longer 'rules' but 'reign'. The last King to 'rule' was Charles I and since then with every reign more and more power has been given away to the government - thus there is a clear precedent for change.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hardly, unless he wants to end up like Charles I. But, all kidding aside, the British have a very nice system of governing, with the monarch aside with little power. It is a Constitutional Monarchy for many, many years and does well that way. Charles will not rock the boat. Why would he?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Courtier

I think there will be few changes than people might think in some instances as far as the household goes that will remain unchanged. I mean positions, not the people that fill them. I think the idea of valets, etc will remain. As William moves up in the chain, and has more engagements, he will appreciate the added time of not having to put his clothes together, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Majesty

While Charles as a Monarch will be pretty much business as usual, I would bet my best china that Sandringham and Balmoral will be in for a shake up. I expect to see a lot of things now seen in the Duchy of Cornwall, not least an awful lot of "sustainable" living.

Recycling, solar energy, etc. seem to be a given and I believe Charles will be a lot more "hands on" than his mother. Charles is committed to improving the land and I expect to see the Highgrove template applied to just about everything on all privately owned estate properties.

The only possible problem I see is if those in charge of the Duchy of Lancaster do business in such a way as to offend Charles progressive and protective tendencies. If that happens things could get interesting.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles 'has talked to Queen about what sort of king he should be', aides say on eve of new biography - Telegraph
Quote:
The Prince of Wales has discussed with the Queen the “sensitive matter” of what sort of king he should be, royal aides have disclosed as they prepare for the publication of a new biography which explores the Prince’s preparations for kingship.

Sources close to the Prince have said there is “no-one” other than his mother with whom he would talk about his plans for the monarchy, adding that nobody else would ever be present when such discussions took place.

Clarence House is preparing for the publication next week of a biography of the Prince by Catherine Mayer, a journalist for Time magazine, which is expected to include the thoughts of his courtiers on how he will approach his eventual role as sovereign.

The Prince’s future is also likely to be discussed in a second book, to be published in mid-February, by the former Downing Street communications secretary Alastair Campbell.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

and therefore his thoughts as stated in the book are merely speculation.

Making and stating the difference between real and speculation is v important.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles 'has talked to Queen about what sort of king he should be', aides say on eve of new biography - Telegraph

Quote:
The Prince’s future is also likely to be discussed in a second book, to be published in mid-February, by the former Downing Street communications secretary Alastair Campbell. Winners and How They Succeed is understood to include a whole chapter on the Queen, based on Mr Campbell’s experiences in Downing Street and on more recent conversations with royal aides.
I can't say I'm looking forward to the release of the Alastair Campbell book.

Quote:
Miss Mayer’s book, Charles, The Heart of a King is also expected to address the belief in some quarters that the Queen should bypass her son and make the Duke of Cambridge her successor.
Those who believe that The Queen can skip Charles and make William her successor is lacking knowledge about how things work. There are actually journalists who go around and think that she is allowed to do it.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Martin @CourtierUK · 1h 1 hour ago
English DM front page has been released yet, but it’s on Charles reportedly wanting to overhaul honours system.

Martin @CourtierUK · 1h 1 hour ago
If true, as far as Charles's interventions go, this is definitely one of the most agreeable ones. Honours system does need reforming.

The Times of London @thetimes · 43m 43 minutes ago
Tomorrow's front page: Rival camps tear apart Charles's household
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/561285478855741440

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 13m 13 minutes ago
One member of his inner circle told me: ‘Does he meddle? Yes, sometimes. Is he misguided on occasions? Possibly......

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 12m 12 minutes ago
....But does he do it for the best of reasons? Absolutely. He is a very good man and what he does comes from a good place.’ #PrinceCharles

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

I can't say I'm looking forward to the release of the Alastair Campbell book.

Those who believe that The Queen can skip Charles and make William her successor is lacking knowledge about how things work. There are actually journalists who go around and think that she is allowed to do it.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of King Charles will be and I'm looking forward to the books. I've always had the feeling that he'll be an engaging and very hands on King like no other. William will likely be a very hands on King as well. I truly believe the future of the Monarchy is very bright.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail is tweeting her fool head off about this - from the DM Charles wants to shake up honours: Gongs are handed out 'to the wrong people for the wrong reasons' | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

All from Mail on line

Our splash in tomorrow's Daily Mail: What Prince Charles thinks of the honours system plus fascinating detail from a new biog of the prince

Exclusive:How Prince Charles wants to shake up honours system & friend Emma Thompson believes he's 'driven by guilt'

New biography of Charles includes details of his 'royal rages' and Princess Diana 's bloodlust' for revenge.

Prince Charles is certainly a complex man, full of passion and drive, and a remarkable charitable entrepreneur....

but one that is also riven by self-doubt and subject,not entirely unreasonably,to accusations his influencing of public policy goes too far

Oh dear! British tabloid headlines at their worst. Everyone seek out their SACK of salt!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I don't take Rebecca English seriously anymore.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well he can start by applying the same criteria in awarding honours to his family as apply to any other member of the public (and, no, I'm not thinking of Prince Philip's Australian knighthood).

All honours/awards should be based on merit, not some long service award for members of an already very privileged family.

I like Prince Charles but I find it embarrassing when I see him in uniform looking like a Christmas tree with so many medals pinned to his chest. I know he's entitled to wear them but to compare his row of medals with those worn by serving members of the armed forces who have risked their lives in theatres of war but not attended coronations and jubilee celebrations, to my mind, suggests someone has got their priorities wrong.

Equally, if I were Prince William, I would be mortified that, at 30, I hold the two most senior knighthoods. Sir Edmund Hillary conquered Everest to earn his K.G., Margaret Thatcher won 3 elections and governed the UK for over 10 years (like her or not). William got born.

Mummy/Granny may have wanted to give these medals and honours out but her family really should start putting their collective feet down and refusing to accept them.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I find that if I start from the position of not believing the UK press, I find that I am right at the end of the day.

The UK tabloid press - led by the fiction writers at the Mail - are a disgrace. No research, no original thought, the regurgitation of an unauthorised biography - they just push it out there for the gullible to believe.

SAdly, I find that the Telegraph are joining their ranks and I am in 2 minds whether to continue by subscription. Recently it seems that I am paying for Mail reporting thru that paper.

Read the UK press and then stand back - just dont take it as a true report of FACT.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Well he can start by applying the same criteria in awarding honours to his family as apply to any other member of the public (and, no, I'm not thinking of Prince Philip's Australian knighthood).

All honours/awards should be based on merit, not some long service award for members of an already very privileged family.

I like Prince Charles but I find it embarrassing when I see him in uniform looking like a Christmas tree with so many medals pinned to his chest. I know he's entitled to wear them but to compare his row of medals with those worn by serving members of the armed forces who have risked their lives in theatres of war but not attended coronations and jubilee celebrations, to my mind, suggests someone has got their priorities wrong.

Equally, if I were Prince William, I would be mortified that, at 30, I hold the two most senior knighthoods. Sir Edmund Hillary conquered Everest to earn his K.G., Margaret Thatcher won 3 elections and governed the UK for over 10 years (like her or not). William got born.

Mummy/Granny may have wanted to give these medals and honours out but her family really should start putting their collective feet down and refusing to accept them.
I understand what you are saying but the concept of monarchy is based on honors earned through ancestral connections rather than personal merit. The Queen was only 25 years old before she was treated with extraordinary deference by everyone, including prime ministers and combat veterans.

I think Charles will make some major changes to modernize the monarchy but he will not undermine the very foundation of a hereditary system.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v