The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

You still get the flag flown and the gun salutes on the actual birthday. The trooping and then garter day and then Ascot makes a nice trio of royal events.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I always thought that the official birthday was linked to the Coronation, hence June.
ah well!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria celebrated her birthday in May (what is now Commonwealth Day) but George V moved it to June - when his birthday was. Edward VIII, for his one year, didn't move it because he had a similar date to his father (George V - 3rd June; Edward VIII - 23rd June).

George VI didn't move his date because he was determined to keep things as they had been under his father - to emphasise the continuity of the monarchy - so it wasn't moved to December. The Queen argued that having been in June for over 40 year she saw no reason to move it.

It has now been in June for over a century and the only person to move it from summer in the next century would be Charles so it won't be moving.

The Coronation was in June but that didn't have anything to do with the date of the birthday - George VI hadn't had his birthday in May and his coronation had been in May.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Edward VII moved it to warmer weather since he had a November birthday. George V had a June 3 birthday.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/T...birthdays.aspx

Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't believe the Trooping of the Colour will be moved under Charles, William or George.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-02-2015, 04:40 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am not even convinced that George would move it into July but leave it where it is in June - so that the public can plan for the long weekend at the appropriate time and be consistent.

It isn't simply about the monarch and their birthday but when it suits the nation to celebrate that birthday and mid-June makes sense to the nation.
There isn't a long weekend. It's always a Saturday, and the Friday and Monday are regular working days. I think it will be kept in June, but it's not really a national celebration like some countries have, or even a public holiday like the official birthday is in some other realms and territories.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It is just that this crisis, and it is a crisis, has evoked some questioning about the best way for the British royal family to move forward. After all, the Queen, who has done a marvellous job, is entering the last years of her reign, and it is known, through, whatever source, that Charles is keen to 'slim down' the monarchy.
The questioning about the monarchy comes from those who want Republic.
There is no evidence that Charles is keen to 'slim down' the monarchy, It's going to happen by itself.

Quote:
Whether it will be as austere in form as Norway or Spain, or a little cosier as with Denmark, it may well be that Charles could decree a defining of a core royal family, as in monarch and consort, heir and spouse and their eldest child. He may include Harry in this or not.
It's not going to happen. Williams children is going to have royals duties, but I agree that Harrys upcoming children should not have titles, or be members of the monarchy.

Quote:
This would include the cousins, Anne, the Wessexes and perhaps Harry. Andrew should certainly never be allowed to represent the monarch again. He is a prime example of what Glover in his article called 'the rollicking, roistering Princes' who, IMO, bring shame to the royal family.
The cousin problem will resolve itself. Anne and the Wessex will continue with their good work as long as they want, and so will Harry. Beatrice and Eugenie should never have become princesses, and in my opinion should not represent the royal family, although I like both.
I'm not sure what's going to happen with Andrews role in the monarchy, it depends on how he behaves, but he will not be removed from the line of succession, except if what he is accused of should prove to be true.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

If Beatrice and Eugenie weren't to become Princesses then the 1917 LPs should have been that only the children of the eldest son becomes HRH and that would have meant NO children of George V being HRH in his lifetime - with two gaining that styling in December, 1936.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The questioning about the monarchy comes from those who want Republic.

There is no evidence that Charles is keen to 'slim down' the monarchy, It's going to happen by itself.

It's not going to happen. Williams children is going to have royals duties, but I agree that Harrys upcoming children should not have titles, or be members of the monarchy.

The cousin problem will resolve itself. Anne and the Wessex will continue with their good work as long as they want, and so will Harry. Beatrice and Eugenie should never have become princesses, and in my opinion should not represent the royal family, although I like both.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Andrews role in the monarchy, it depends on how he behaves, but he will not be removed from the line of succession, except if what he is accused of should prove to be true.

Beatrice and Eugenie becoming princesses has not context to a slimmed down monarchy. They are already not working royals with no expected plans, per Buckingham Palace. That's ALL we as the public need to be worried about.

As far as them being princesses, that's simply a matter of fact and a family matter, too. They ARE princesses. Bottom line. No if ands or buts about it. They are granddaughters of a monarch, and daughters of a Duke. It's their birthright. It's not a case of they shouldn't have been made princesses. They were born princesses.

Let's be clear that there is a BIG difference between the York girls being princesses (which they are, it is their identity and who they are based on customs of the country, their family, etc.) and being working royals (which Buckingham Palace has stated they are not and don't have any expected plans to be).

With all that being said, I think it's important to note that while many are searching for reasons to slim down the monarchy, the country isn't getting any smaller.

And already we hear cries from many that the RF doesn't do enough, William and Kate don't work enough, etc etc. With a smaller royal family, just means more of the work we do value them for will diminish.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPolitics View Post
Beatrice and Eugenie becoming princesses has not context to a slimmed down monarchy. They are already not working royals with no expected plans, per Buckingham Palace. That's ALL we as the public need to be worried about.

As far as them being princesses, that's simply a matter of fact and a family matter, too. They ARE princesses. Bottom line. No if ands or buts about it. They are granddaughters of a monarch, and daughters of a Duke. It's their birthright. It's not a case of they shouldn't have been made princesses. They were born princesses.

Let's be clear that there is a BIG difference between the York girls being princesses (which they are, it is their identity and who they are based on customs of the country, their family, etc.) and being working royals (which Buckingham Palace has stated they are not and don't have any expected plans to be).

Well,but why are the York Princesses styled "Princess" and the children of Princess Anne and Prince Edward arenīt?
They are also grandchildren of a Monarch and children of a (well, Princess Royal and) a Duke.
And they are also non-working Royals.
Bye Bine
Old 01-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Well,but why are the York Princesses styled "Princess" and the children of Princess Anne and Prince Edward arenīt?
They are also grandchildren of a Monarch and children of a (well, Princess Royal and) a Duke.
Bye Bine
The children of the Princess Royal aren't a Prince and Princess because titles don't pass through the female line. The children of the Earl of Wessex (who's not a Duke) aren't styled as a Prince and a Princess because their parents asked the Queen for them to be styled just as children of an Earl.

Following the 1917 Letters of Patent, the York Princesses are the rule, while their Wessex cousins are the exception.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Bye Bine

In Princess Anne's case, it would have been unprecedented (or out of the ordinary) for her children to have royal titles as they pass through the father. For example, my parents are married so I don't have my mothers last name, I have my fathers. Same with royalty--Anne's children take their fathers surname. So all this nonsense of Anne wanting her children to have a normal life are I'm sure true, but have little bases for why they don't have titles.

For Prince Edwards children, they ARE princes and princesses. Letters patent issued in 1917 (and still remaining in force today) assign a princely status and the style of Royal Highness to all male-line grandchildren of a monarch. Therefore, technically, Louise is Her Royal Highness Princess Louise of Wessex. And they may wish to go by their HRH once they come of age.

However, in order to help lessen the burden of royal association they are now styled as children of an earl--so Lady Louise. This doesn't mean she isn't a princess at all. Their parents decided to take an unprecedented step to help them grow up as normal children. It has more to do with how the public views them than who they really are. The public views her as a mere Lady so are less interested. But she is a princess. That is fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
The children of the Princess Royal aren't a Prince and Princess because titles don't pass through the female line. The children of the Earl of Wessex (who's not a Duke) aren't styled as a Prince and a Princess because their parents asked the Queen for them to be styled just as children of an Earl.

Following the 1917 Letter of Patent, the York Princesses are the rule, while their Wessex cousins are the exception.

Exactly. Wessex cousins are unprecedented and not of the norm. Yorks are the rule!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Bye Bine

In the UK, children inherit titles from their fathers not their mother. Anne's kids are the same as Margaret kids. The only difference is the Tony Armstrong Jones took a peerage while Mark Phillips didn't.

Edward and Sophie made the decision to style their kids as children of a peer instead of using their Royal titles that they are legally entitled to.

Harry could do the same thing with his kids if he wanted too.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Bye Bine
The 1917 Letters Patent or rules on who is or who isn't an HRH Prince or Princess:

1. The children of the monarch - Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward

2. The MALE LINE grandchildren of the monarch - William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise, James, Richard, Edward, Michael and Alexandra (Elizabeth herself was, like Beatrice, the elder daughter of the second son and Margaret was born in Eugenie's position of the younger daughter of the second son - the only other one born with HRH since 1917 was Prince William of Gloucester who died in 1972. He was the elder son of the late Duke of Gloucester)

3. The spouses of the men - Camilla, Sophie, Kate, Birgitte, Katherine and Marie-Christine

4. The eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales - George

In 2012 The Queen modified these LPs to allow ALL of William's children to be HRH Prince/Princess.

In 1948 George VI also modified the 1917 LPs to allow ALL children of HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh to also have HRH - otherwise Charles would have been born as Lord Charles Mountbatten, Earl of Merionth and Anne as Lady Anne Mountbatten.

Anne's children, like Margaret's and Mary's before her, don't have titles because they are descended from a girl and not a boy and as a daughter of the monarch Anne's children don't get titles without the monarch of the day doing something which didn't happen so no titles for Peter or Zara. Margaret's children have titles because Margaret insisted on her husband being given a title and The Queen agreed so he became Lord Snowdon and the children Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah. Princess Margaret married a man with a title in his own right so her children were titled through their father.

Edward's situation is different. His children are not using HRH Prince/Princess titles because he requested that they not be so burdened in 1999 when he was getting married. At the end of the 1990s the public were not in the mood for more royal children to be born, unless they were Diana's descendants whereas when Andrew's children were born there was never any suggestion of them not having the styles they were entitled to by the 1917 LPs.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
For Prince Edwards children, they ARE princes and princesses. Letters patent issued in 1917 (and still remaining in force today) assign a princely status and the style of Royal Highness to all male-line grandchildren of a monarch. Therefore, technically, Louise is Her Royal Highness Princess Louise of Wessex. And they may wish to go by their HRH once they come of age.

There has been considerable debate on whether or not 'The Queen's will' is enough to override the LPs with quite a few 'experts' arguing on each side.

One side says as you do that they are really a Prince and Princess but not using that styling while the other argument is that as The Queen has made her will known that is enough to say that they are no longer entitled to be HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James. I believe that is the view of BP - that The Queen's will has been made known and that they aren't and never will be a Prince or a Princess.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There has been considerable debate on whether or not 'The Queen's will' is enough to override the LPs with quite a few 'experts' arguing on each side.

One side says as you do that they are really a Prince and Princess but not using that styling while the other argument is that as The Queen has made her will known that is enough to say that they are no longer entitled to be HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James. I believe that is the view of BP - that The Queen's will has been made known and that they aren't and never will be a Prince or a Princess.

I kind of feel like this was deliberately left vague. I've seen it argued that the decision was presented as Edward and Sophie's desire but was actually done because of the attitude of the public towards the monarchy at the time. By doing it as "the Queen's will" instead of through LPs they can act as though it's intended that this is official and they won't ever be royals, but if at some point in the future public opinion is different and Louise or James want to be royal they can back up and go "well, see, they always were royals they just weren't called such."
Old 01-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

The Wessex children debate is something that I think will forever ongoing. I think it's a good thing they aren't using their royal statuses as it will give them some freedom and privacy as adults, much like their oldest cousins Peter and Zara.

Whether the decision was Edward and Sophie's or the Queen's, it was a very good decision and one that will work in Louise and James' favour when they are older. Edward is quite unknown in the UK and worldwide. Generally no one in the "younger" generation know who he or his wife is, and even the older generation has a small number who know who he is. A lot of them know who he is due to Louise's dramatic birth and remember when she was born, but that's about as far as his fame goes. (Even then their view is skewed as they all think Louise has mental disabilities "as she has that cross eye look doesn't she?"). Those that do know who he is think he and Andrew do nothing for the royal family (when if fact Edward was the 3rd hardest working Royal this year). Edward was in a no win situation at the time of his marriage as it was the 90's when the world was still in deep mourning for Diana and their disliking toward the British monarchy was huge. I think that also was why his wedding was a much smaller affair than those of his siblings. Had the situation been different and Diana was still alive, then his wedding may have been a state occasion like the others. Edward and Sophie both said they chose St George's as it was smaller and made it feel "cosier" (if you can call 500 guests cosy), but I think his wedding would have been very different if the BRF were still in their 80's/early 90's popularity.

The idea that any of his children would be a Prince or Princess was something that the British public would not have welcomed as they just thought of it as "another mouth to feed with our money" so the decision to use Lady/Viscount was a smart move on the Queen's part, whether it was her decision, Edward's decision or an adviser's decision.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
In Princess Anne's case, it would have been unprecedented (or out of the ordinary) for her children to have royal titles as they pass through the father.
It would have been out of the ordinary, but there would have been a precedent - the daughters of Princess Louise were created princesses in 1905.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It would have been out of the ordinary, but there would have been a precedent - the daughters of Princess Louise were created princesses in 1905.

The difference between the Fifes and Anne's children is that the Fifes got their titles before the 1917 LPs and were only Highnesses, not Royal Highnesses. Princess Maud relinquished her Royal titles on her marriage in 1923, and Princess Alexandra used her husband's after her marriage in 1913.

The children of Princesses Mary (daughter of George V), Margaret (daughter of George VI), and Anne (daughter of Elizabeth II) all held the same position (or similar; Margaret being the younger daughter, the others being the only daughter), but none of their children were created royals.

Another precedent would have been the children of Elizabeth II herself, none of whom got their titles from their father. Charles and Anne got their first titles from LPs issued by their maternal grandfather owing to their mother's position as heir presumptive, later they, Andrew, and Edward took their titles from their position as the monarch's children, not from their position as the DoE's children.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Another precedent would have been the children of Elizabeth II herself, none of whom got their titles from their father. Charles and Anne got their first titles from LPs issued by their maternal grandfather owing to their mother's position as heir presumptive, later they, Andrew, and Edward took their titles from their position as the monarch's children, not from their position as the DoE's children.
|

That isn't entirely true. From the time they were born Charles and Anne were prince/princess because of the LPs issued by their grandfather, but they were 'of Edinburgh' because of their father.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v