The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I know some would think my opinion don't matter because I'm an American and Charles's future reign have nothing to do with me but Charles will make a great king. His reign may be much shorter than his mother's but I think he will be an active king. He cares about the people, environment and country life. He's learned a lot from his mother, The Queen, but he will be his own king and I think over time people will not only get used to it but appreciate it as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles will be a good king as well. I don't like to speak out against the Queen and her long and glorious reign is to be celebrated but there is no doubt in my mind that the Queen's long reign has hurt those under her, including Charles and William.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

When I read this I thought, this is written by Peter Hunt, and I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think Charles will be a good king as well. I don't like to speak out against the Queen and her long and glorious reign is to be celebrated but there is no doubt in my mind that the Queen's long reign has hurt those under her, including Charles and William.
I don't agree, The Queen's long and glorious reign has saved the monarchy. Charles and William are just fine, they are not being hurt by Her Majesty's long reign.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I would beg to differ on the Queen's long reign hurting Charles. Actually, when I think of all that he has done and accomplished and continues to strive for, Charles has done some pretty amazing things while being Prince of Wales. I would bet my last ham sandwich that he's never once regretted the long wait he has had and continues to have. In fact, he probably has more freedom to act and make a difference now than when he becomes king.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I am among those who think it would be reasonable for the Queen to step down following the precedent recently set by some of her Continental cousins. Having said that, I don't see though how her long reign may have hurt prince William. On the contrary, it seems to me that calls for the sucession to skip one generation will only get stronger the longer it takes for Charles to ascend the throne. In that sense, William is indirectly benefiting from his grandmother's longevity.

The Queen herself behaves in a way that, with all due respect to Her Majesty, looks ambiguous to me. On one hand, she acknowledges Charles' constitutional position as heir apparent, e.g. having him sit by her side at the State Opening of Parliament or sending him as her representative to the Commonwealth Heads of Government summit. On the other hand though, she seems to be raising William's official profile, making him take part in investiture ceremonies and sending him e.g. to Belgium for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I (a "Heads-of-State" event).

It may be wild and reckless speculation on my part, but I can't help having this personal feeling that the Queen would prefer William and Kate to Charles and Camilla on the throne and, although she has no control over that matter (which is regulated by law and, hence, by Parliament), she is preparing for an eventual "Plan B" nonetheless.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am among those who think it would be reasonable for the Queen to step down following the precedent recently set by some of her Continental cousins. Having said that, I don't see though how her long reign may have hurt prince William. On the contrary, it seems to me that calls for the sucession to skip one generation will only get stronger the longer it takes for Charles to ascend the throne. In that sense, William is indirectly benefiting from his grandmother's longevity.

The Queen herself behaves in a way that, with all due respect to Her Majesty, looks ambiguous to me. On one hand, she acknowledges Charles' constitutional position as heir apparent, e.g. having him sit by her side at the State Opening of Parliament or sending him as her representative to the Commonwealth Heads of Government summit. On the other hand though, she seems to be raising William's official profile, making him take part in investiture ceremonies and sending him e.g. to Belgium for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I (a "Heads-of-State" event).

It may be wild and reckless speculation on my part, but I can't help having this personal feeling that the Queen would prefer William and Kate to Charles and Camilla on the throne and, although she has no control over that matter (which is regulated by law and, hence, by Parliament), she is preparing for an eventual "Plan B" nonetheless.
She is preparing for a Plan B, but this is to prepare the second in line for the throne as well....
PLUS: this is a well planned sharing of workload
PLUS: the Queen know, that Wills and Kate are much more popular in the Media as well as with the People than Charles. So she uses them for positive press towards the RF
BYe Bine
Old 11-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
She is preparing for a Plan B, but this is to prepare the second in line for the throne as well....
PLUS: the Queen know, that Wills and Kate are much more popular in the Media as well as with the People than Charles. So she uses them for positive press towards the RF
BYe Bine
I agree. There is no guarantee that Charles will outlive his mother, so she needs to give William some minimum preparation, just in case.

I do think she would prefer that William and Harry live rather private lives at present. I believe she wants the spotlight on her children and cousins, with her grandchildren staying backstage. But she knows the media is obsessed with youth so she throws William/Catherine/Harry scraps to the media wolves every now and then.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Yes, this is wild speculation from your part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would beg to differ on the Queen's long reign hurting Charles. Actually, when I think of all that he has done and accomplished and continues to strive for, Charles has done some pretty amazing things while being Prince of Wales. I would bet my last ham sandwich that he's never once regretted the long wait he has had and continues to have. In fact, he probably has more freedom to act and make a difference now than when he becomes king.
I agree with you in this.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

There is no proof that The Queen prefers William to take the throne instead of Charles. The Queen has prepared her son, Charles, for the throne and she has publically stated that she's very confident about the future of the Monarchy.

The Queen knows that William is second in-line and he too needs the training to support his father and for the "top job" he will take on afterwards. Both Charles and William and their spouses have major roles to play within the "Firm."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am always surprised that when people raise the issue of the succession skipping a generation that forget William's feelings towards his father in all this as if somehow hurting his father like that is something William would want to do. Maybe he would but personally I doubt it.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am always surprised that when people raise the issue of the succession skipping a generation that forget William's feelings towards his father in all this as if somehow hurting his father like that is something William would want to do. Maybe he would but personally I doubt it.
People can talk about William leapfrogging his father for the throne all they want but it's not going to happen and I really don't think William or Charles give it much thought. It can only happen if Charles is terribly ill or passes away before his succession.

Charles and William both represents the future of the British Monarchy and they both have very important parts to play in the "Firm" in the meantime.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
People can talk about William leapfrogging his father for the throne all they want but it's not going to happen and I really don't think William or Charles give it much thought. It can only happen if Charles is terribly ill or passes away before his succession.

Charles and William both represents the future of the British Monarchy and they both have very important parts to play in the "Firm" in the meantime.

No, it can only happen if Charles dies before his mother. He could be on his death bed, but if his mother predeceased him he would still be monarch. William might be a regent, but Charles would still be the king.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I agree with this. Personal feelings always seem to be ignored.

As for the Peter Hunt piece "What sort of king ......." This is an off-shoot of the Guardian piece (mentioned and link within the BBC article).

Since 2007, The Guardian (left-wing, intellectual paper, anti-monarchy) has been trying to get Prince Charles' letters to various ministers to be published. So far every court has thrown it out.

On Monday, the Supreme Court will announce its decision as to whether they will be published. The Guardian article is a precursor to that decision.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
BYe Bine
Pretty much, Bine!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Royal Highness

I haven't read the thread, but I got a thought about a small thing that might change when Charles is in charge. Flybys and fireworks might disappear/decrease since he is very keen on environmental issues.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I haven't read the thread, but I got a thought about a small thing that might change when Charles is in charge. Flybys and fireworks might disappear/decrease since he is very keen on environmental issues.
That's quite possible although those flybys are are pretty much a mainstay for festive occasions I think.

TBH, I think by the time Charles does become King, most changes will be adapted and put in place gradually rather than having it seem like Charles moves in drastically cleans house.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Royal Highness

That is true, I also think he and William might take more decisions together so that there is a continuity between their two reigns.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Elizabeth II's actual birthday is April 21st.
The Queen's Official Birthday is celebrated in June.
Prince Charles' birthday is November 14th.
Once he becomes King, do you think Charles will have the date of the King's Official Birthday changed?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

No because the reason it was moved so the weather would be better in June in the reign of Edward VII who also had a November birthday. When William is King, his birthday is June 21 so it will be the same month but they would still do it on a Saturday because of you wouldn't want to do it on a work day with all the traffic in London.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles birthday is actually the 14th November.

I don't think he will move it as the idea of having Trooping etc in November - cold, short days etc isn't one that would attract that many tourists and Trooping is a tourist attraction as much as a celebration of the monarch's birthday.

William's birthday and also George's will be in June and July so moving Trooping to November for the 10 or so years of Charles' reign and then moving it back again wouldn't make sense.

George VI's birthday was 14th December but he left the official birthday in June - which was George V's birthday and I think it is now too set in the calendar to move it around with each new monarch.

I am not even convinced that George would move it into July but leave it where it is in June - so that the public can plan for the long weekend at the appropriate time and be consistent.

It isn't simply about the monarch and their birthday but when it suits the nation to celebrate that birthday and mid-June makes sense to the nation.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v