The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

You are right! I'd forgotten that minor detail.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The vast majority of comments in this thread are based on 2 assumptions:

*that Charles wants to slim down the monarchy and that some Royals will made or encouraged to 'retire' when Charles become King

*that the number of engagements carried out by the royals needs to be maintained for the monarchy to be functional

But why? Would the monarchy really come to a crashing halt if half the number or engagements were carried out? I doubt for example the media would notice except when they produce league tables of the number of engagements carried out.
Apart from a few comments by some 'unnamed source' why do people assume Charles wants to his family to retire. In time the main RF will become naturally smaller as Charles has two sons to the Queen's 4 children.
I think cepe's post should be required reading every 3 months so we don't have to have a rehash of mean old Charles grinching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
We mentioned on a variety of threads, most notably in recent days the Beatrice and Eugenie trip, about Prince Charles wanting a slim line monarchy. And I've asked where is the evidence.

I found the following today on the Royal Reporter Twitter account of Richard Palmer of the Ex
press.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@jennyg2k The idea of Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy seems based on a 1990s briefing by one spin doctor trying to big him up at the time

2:18 AM - 22 Jan 13 · Details

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter@jennyg2k It may be true Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy but I know of nobody inside the Royal Household who is briefing that.

The evidence is rather thin IMO
Thin! It's blasted anorexic!

And yet, on thread after thread, posters who have not bothered to familiarise themselves with the earlier content, merrily lambast Charles for his mean, shortsighted, etc. ad nauseam, actions. Actions which as PoW he could not take and has never said he will as King.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Why should George & sibling have to sacrifice their education especially in the 21st century when it is more accessible than it was when the Queen & Princess Anne were 18.

Distance education isn't for everyone. Some students (me) benefit from attending lectures & having greater interaction with lecturers than is possible online.

University also serves a social function. It will allow the young royals to mix with a far greater range of society than they will get at school (assuming they will go to public school rather than the local comprehensive).
The benefit of them leaving education early is they would be able to carry out more engagements and therefore share the royal burden more effectively.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

And then get the same sort of criticism as Catherine does, never having hada 'proper job'.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

The Monarchy under Charles

George will follow a path like his father did. University and Military afterwards. George's brothers would also be highly likely to join the military. Sisters could work for charities like the prince's trust or their parents royal foundation, museums, become doctors or lawyers, even join the military also or they could become sports women like Zara or Anne.

Plus going to university, will expand their circle of friends and potential spouses from the private school crowd that they are most likely going to grow up with

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think cepe's post should be required reading every 3 months so we don't have to have a rehash of mean old Charles grinching!

Thin! It's blasted anorexic!

And yet, on thread after thread, posters who have not bothered to familiarise themselves with the earlier content, merrily lambast Charles for his mean, shortsighted, etc. ad nauseam, actions. Actions which as PoW he could not take and has never said he will as King.
I am not lambasting or criticizing Charles when I say he seems to be moving towards a streamlined royal family. I think it is a good idea.

I also disagree that the belief that Charles (and the Queen) are moving towards focusing on a few core members of the family is based on one old news report. It's been clear for a while that Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are not being groomed to take on a more visible role in the monarchy. If Charles intended to use them when he ascends, you would think he would have them perform at least a few duties now. Some of their current appearances for charities could be listed on the CC, but aren't.

Obviously, we will see what happens when Charles ascends the throne.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Republican paper says Charles will be a 'hands on' King

Becoming king will not silence Prince Charles, say allies | UK news | The Guardian
Quote:
Prince Charles is ready to reshape the monarch’s role when he becomes king and make “heartfelt interventions” in national life in contrast to the Queen’s taciturn discretion on public affairs, his allies have said.

In signs of an emerging strategy that could risk carrying over the controversy about his alleged meddling in politics into his kingship, sources close to the heir say he is set to continue to express concerns and ask questions about issues that matter to him, such as the future of farming and the environment, partly because he believes he has a duty to relay public opinion to those in power.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

After watching Charles passionately speak about the various issues he care about and the people who has greatly benefited from his charitable trust and other organizations he's involved with, I get the feeling he will be a "hands on" king.

Judging from the past, Charles was pretty much frustrated and sad when his thoughts and feelings on certain subjects wasn't being listened to. Now, many of his views on certain subjects are being listened to and being debated worldwide. The future king Charles won't be a happy camper if he's forced to shut up and sit still when there are issues that needs to be addressed.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Courtier

People who fear Charles speaking out only fear what he has to say, might not be what they want to hear. If politicians think that's meddling then they have no minds of their own.

There is a strange concept that the Monarch must remain silent on issues. Just because The Queen has chosen to reign that way doesn't mean Charles has to. being a constitutional monarchy doesn't mean the monarch can't air their views it is just that their power is limited.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

The reason politicians are so divisive is because they make their views and policies known. We can vote them in or out of office based on whether we agree with their views.

Once we have a monarch making their views known they become divisive. If you agree with a particular opinion then its no problem but if the king or queen says something you don't agree with it becomes an issue and we don't get to vote on our kings and queens.

Its a very fine line Charles will need to walk.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree 100%

Today he has spoken out against the violence and intolerance facing Christians in parts of the Middle East. This is right.

He isn't taking sides as such because what he is promoting is religious tolerance.

How can anyone say that is wrong?

Think of the tragedies that could have been avoided in the past if people with some influence had spoken out.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles knows what he's doing, and he never takes sides in political issues. He is not divisive at all.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The reason politicians are so divisive is because they make their views and policies known. We can vote them in or out of office based on whether we agree with their views.

Once we have a monarch making their views known they become divisive. If you agree with a particular opinion then its no problem but if the king or queen says something you don't agree with it becomes an issue and we don't get to vote on our kings and queens.

Its a very fine line Charles will need to walk.
One I am not at all sure he will manage to keep too, IMHO.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Prince Charles knows what he's doing, and he never takes sides in political issues. He is not divisive at all.
hahahahhahahahahahah. I am assuming you are being satirical as he famously takes sides in political and divisive issues. Shall I list them?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Please do.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I also think that Charles will be a very hands on king too. I think he will do it in a way that will be within the boundaries of how a monarch does meet with the PM and "suggest and advise". Charles is too ingrained with the duties and responsibilities of the monarch to not know where the lines are that he cannot cross. He will be very much on top of things and intelligently voice his thoughts but in the proper, acceptable manner.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, I'd also like to know what political issues the Prince of Wales has famously taken sides in. Has he ever publicly spoke against a policy of one of the Queen's governments?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
Yes, I'd also like to know what political issues the Prince of Wales has famously taken sides in. Has he ever publicly spoke against a policy of one of the Queen's governments?
I don't think he ever has spoken out against goverment policy. He has given his opinion on issues but has been very careful not criticise the goverment.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I also think that Charles will be a very hands on king too. I think he will do it in a way that will be within the boundaries of how a monarch does meet with the PM and "suggest and advise". Charles is too ingrained with the duties and responsibilities of the monarch to not know where the lines are that he cannot cross. He will be very much on top of things and intelligently voice his thoughts but in the proper, acceptable manner.
Very much agree with you, PC has had a lifetime in training and watching from the side lines, he is going to do a remarkable job when he is king. He has learned how to get his message across without making others feel like he is imposing on them. PC is one very strong intelligent decisive man and I don't think we have seen his full character come to light yet...
Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Prince Charles as king: What type of monarch will he be?
Quote:
When Prince Charles accedes to the throne, reports say he will make "heartfelt interventions" in national life, a contrast to his mother's "taciturn discretion on public affairs". What will Charles III be like as king?

Not so long ago, there was a new buzz word in royal circles. Transition. Tentatively, without fanfare, plans were put in place so that Prince Charles could take on more of his octogenarian mother's workload.

The prince, who's waited a lifetime to fulfil his destiny, had a taste of his future when he represented the Queen at last year's Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Sri Lanka. And three separate royal press offices were brought together under one (large) roof at Buckingham Palace. The aim was for royal communications to sing from one regal hymn sheet in preparation for when a new reign began.

They're no longer together. It was a short-lived experiment. Those who craft Charles's image are back at his London residence, Clarence House, focusing just on his needs. The word transition doesn't slip as easily off royal tongues anymore.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v