The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The British system only works with a monarch whose mouth is shut - they have no role in politics and have to do and say what the government of the day tell them - publicly.

Anything the monarch wants to say on any issue must be said in private to the PM only.

That is exactly my point. Being the Prince of Wales he stood on issues and wrote a lot of letters and voiced an opinion and gave ideas. As King he'd of course defer his opinions on UK political matters to the PM but do you really think he'd put what he believes in strongly aside?

My thought was he'd be more concerned about the global issues rather than taking sides with the UK political parties. Something along the lines that any political party wouldn't find fault with and that's not an easy road.

The British system only works with a monarch whose mouth is shut - they have no role in politics and have to do and say what the government of the day tell them - publicly.

Anything the monarch wants to say on any issue must be said in private to the PM only.

Off the wall question. what happens to the Prince's Trust when Charles does become King? He can no longer be the patron right? Or.. does it become the King's Trust?

I quite agree. The system has lasted thing long because of it's fundamental obligation to refrain from interfering.

Change that, and they'll find themselves in a most precarious set of circumstances.

Off the wall question. what happens to the Prince's Trust when Charles does become King? He can no longer be the patron right? Or.. does it become the King's Trust?

The Queen has patronages, and I don't see why The Prince's Trust cannot carry on.

The Queen has patronages, and I don't see why The Prince's Trust cannot carry on.

That's true too.. just wondered if it'd be renamed the King's trust.

With all that's been said lately do you all think there is a real possibility that Charles will try and enact Defender of Faith rather than Defender of the Faith?

That's true too.. just wondered if it'd be renamed the King's trust.

With all that's been said lately do you all think there is a real possibility that Charles will try and enact Defender of Faith rather than Defender of the Faith?

I think it's a definete possibility and he'll cling to it with the edges of his teeth until someone gives the definete No.
It may do, or Charles may choose to pass it onto one of his sons.

I think it rather rediculous myself. Unless church and state are seperated, it's entirely unlikley that Charles shall not be known as Deffender of the Faith.

Let him set an example of religious tolerance, showing initiative to be educated and understand faiths' that are not his own, but let us not underestimate his insignificance when it comes to the matter of religion overall. To be called Deffender of Faith? I mean seriously, what would be next? Mother Earth's Deffender of 'Harmony'?

It's all just so unconstitutionally sound.

Essentially, I wouldn't be straying too far from mummy's example if Charles is serious about attaining the throne and keeping it.

He has a lot to offer I think, but there's ways of doing things and theres ways of not doing things. Here's hoping he gets it right.

Hi,

I totally agree that King Charles needs to publically keep his mouth shut and his opinions to himself... He should only give speeches approved by the government and Parliament!!!

The Monarch has the power (perogative) 'to advise' the Prime Minister; and that is done in private with their weekly meeting(s)...

He would be well advised to follow "Mummy's" example, as she is exemplary as a Constitutional Monarch and she has not put a foot wrong in 58 years!!!

Larry

Hi,

I totally agree that King Charles needs to publically keep his mouth shut and his opinions to himself... He should only give speeches approved by the government and Parliament!!!

The Monarch has the power (perogative) 'to advise' the Prime Minister; and that is done in private with their weekly meeting(s)...

He would be well advised to follow "Mummy's" example, as she is exemplary as a Constitutional Monarch and she has not put a foot wrong in 58 years!!!

Larry

She's got Philip that opens mouth and inserts foot.. But seriously here...

I don't see Charles as being so naive that he'd be hollering "save the squirrel" from Buckingham balcony and he's probably wise enough to know what is expected as a constitutional monarch and will do it to perfection. But.... as a King and meeting other influential personas of state and countries, in private I don't think they're going to be talking about mulch and how fast tomatoes grow (unless they're at Highgrove).

I do see him staying well away from being opinionated on political matters and perhaps doing a quip or two ala Philip to insinuate but as a monarch, he will be very much like his mum. He'll also be wishing he could be at Highgrove and just diggin in the dirt and having dirty fingernails. .. just as HM loves her time at rest.

I do hope he does not ever lose his passion for what he believes in and I do think as King, it may not be official but what he knows, he will share with those that wish to listen and it won't be over the fence as we are doing now. Over a good wine in waterfod crystal maybe in his study. There is a lot of passion in Charles and I really hope it doesn't stop when a crown hits his head. I think that's what he was trying to say in the VF article.

Charles needs to recast his image once he becomes king, and there will be no better opportunity then when he does ascend the throne.

Why does he need to re-cast his image?

You forget Prince Arthur, first husband of Catherine of Aragon. And also Arthur, Duke of Brittany who was supposed to be king before King John.

Im sure there are many more not listed on Wiki.

Those two named people were not Monarchs.

There have been comments by some friends that he might take George VII certainly but not in any of the biographies that I have. Can you please identfy which biographer?
I don't remember exactly who it was, it was statements he was making during Charles' marriage to Camilla as a guest commentator on CNN and MSNBC, and I think I saw him on ABC too. Either way, it was his idea for which I wholey subscribe to for the points he had made (the one's appearently not popular here, lol)
The Welsh nationalistic movement is pretty muted, bit I can't see a relevant linkage between the arugument for and against a separate Welsh nation, and the reign of Charles / George VII / .....
There is no relevant linkage between the argument for an independent Wales and Charles, except that you had asked…
Why do you support separate kingdoms of England, Wales and Scotland?
On a passing statement that I had made at the end of the post outlining why I thought he would chose George over Charles, in which I had stated: “I would restore a Welsh monarchy for Wales, and for Scotland a restored Stewart dynast. Otherwise, I would Wales and Scotland were independent republics.”

To your comment asking why do I support Welsh independence I replied …
I don't want to derail the topic but I guess I opened the door, eh? lol

As for Wales, I guess I've never gotten over the 1284 Edwardian Conquest of my homeland? From my perspective, the English crown acquired Wales in a similar manner as Iraq tried to take Kuwait in the First Gulf War, or any aggressive country conquers another. Only...the the UN of the day (Catholic Church) acquiesced to it. I feel robbed of my history. I believe the Welsh would be better off economically had we been able to develop our own interests and keep investments within the country rather then siphoned off elsewhere. I believe Wales would be in a comparable position today as Denmark is next to Germany.
The Welsh nationalistic movement is pretty muted, bit I can't see a relevant linkage between the arugument for and against a separate Welsh nation, and the reign of Charles / George VII / .....
The "Welsh Independence Movement" is far from muted! It is the second largest political party in the Welsh Assembly and forms the junior partner in the current Welsh government. From a UK parliamentary perspective, one could drive from the mouth of the Tywi estauary on the Severn Sea (Bristol Channel) and head northbound to Caernarfon in Gwynedd on the Irish Sea and still not leave "Plaid Cymru country". Read up on it’s history.
Why does he need to re-cast his image?
I don't really need to go into this do I? Not amongst us? But, really Charles is known as an eccentric philanderer, despite his hard word for charities. Nothing like his coronation to better recast his image from the dithering playboy prince to one of a serious constitutional monarch and leader.

Trust me, its all about managing one’s image. The press has always been brutal for Charles, it will not stop once he become’s king and he enacts his agenda (once for which I am supportive of). A “Charles III” with the precedents of the other two and Prince Charles own personal life will be the end of the English monarchy in my opinion. And believe me, the press will associate a “Charles III” with the other two and all the machinations and philandering of Charles III’s life will be associated in the public mind with the other two.

A “George VII” has all the advantages of linking Charles with the rule of his grandfather and great grandfather. It’s simply a rebranding of his image, if done right. A benefit of this would be clearly George VI’s performance during WWII, and the nostalgia that comes along with it.

Ultimately, it’s all about word association, rather then anything like superstition. Rightly or wrongly, the name Charles is linked with baggage for him both historically and in his younger years. George VII offers a clear, definitive, masculine break from all of that. One which I support.

I would bet my best luggage on the fact that he will take George as his regal name, as much as I would bet that Camilla will be queen!

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't really need to go into this do I? Not amongst us? But, really Charles is known as an eccentric philanderer, despite his hard word for charities. Nothing like his coronation to better recast his image from the dithering playboy prince to one of a serious constitutional monarch and leader.

This is the thread about the Monarchy under Charles, your saying he needs to change when he becomes King. So why not discuss it? If you didn't want to be challenged, why say it?
"Dithering playboy Prince" he's been married to one woman for 5 years, and when he was married previously, he only cheated on Diana with only one woman, and that was Camilla. He may have been as playboy when he was in his 20's but I don't think anyone, no newspaper has called him that?
I coronation, isn't going to change who he is.

Trust me, its all about managing one’s image. The press has always been brutal for Charles, it will not stop once he become’s king and he enacts his agenda (once for which I am supportive of). A “Charles III” with the precedents of the other two and Prince Charles own personal life will be the end of the English monarchy in my opinion. And believe me, the press will associate a “Charles III” with the other two and all the machinations and philandering of Charles III’s life will be associated in the public mind with the other two.

Brutal I think is the wrong word, they have been critical of him, especially when Diana died.
I doubt in this day and age, people will remember or even know who Charles I and II were, let alone what happened in their reign. Unless you follow royalty, and follow it very very closely, they won't know about Charles two named ancestors.
The press will not even know Charles I and II, they won't compare them to Prince Charles at all, Queen Elizabeth II has never been compared to Queen Elizabeth I has she? Or has any other Monarch been compared to someone else who shared the same name?
I know the press of this country, and they will be interested in the here and now, not the past.

A “George VII” has all the advantages of linking Charles with the rule of his grandfather and great grandfather. It’s simply a rebranding of his image, if done right. A benefit of this would be clearly George VI’s performance during WWII, and the nostalgia that comes along with it.

Why does he want to link to his grandfather and great-grandfathers reign, he should carve out his own reign, show the world, as you put it, that he isn't a "philandering eccentric".
The people who remember WWII and George VI are Monarchists, and people who fought in the war. The war isn't taught in British Schools anymore, and certainly not in reference to George VI's involvement. Nobody lower than the age of 75 perhaps will remember. So what would be the point?
Also, Charles could only be like George VI was in the war, if we have another war.

Ultimately, it’s all about word association, rather then anything like superstition. Rightly or wrongly, the name Charles is linked with baggage for him both historically and in his younger years. George VII offers a clear, definitive, masculine break from all of that. One which I support.
I would bet my best luggage on the fact that he will take George as his regal name, as much as I would bet that Camilla will be queen!

I completely disagree, no one remembers the baggage of the name Charles, and when he becomes King the old stories of his affair with Camilla, death of Diana and possible the talking to plants. But nothing that won't go away.
A name does not change a person, and as you've said doesn't forget the past.
If Elizabeth and Phillip had wanted Charles to become King George VII, then i'm sure they would have named him George.
Camilla will be his Queen, and Charles will be King Charles III.

It will be interesting to see how they word his coronation. A New Charlian Age perhaps.

It will be interesting to see how they word his coronation. A New Charlian Age perhaps.

There would definitely be a new need for a source to describe what the reign under Charles will be. I don't think in any way it could or can be related to past history.

I do think thought that as a regnant, it'd be best if he does use the name he's carried for almost 62 years now. Charles III. I really can't see him being bothered at all with whatever past history Charles' reigns have done nor do I think he'd really hide his own self under a different name just for public opinion.

I do think what we're going to see with Charles as a king is one that follows his mother's example yet along with that incorporates his own passions where he can.

Perhaps in 300 years from now as we delve into ancient myths and legends and learn about the Green Man that the druids worshiped, there will also be a mention of a Green King?

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Green-Man-Festival-Celtic-Druid-Kills-The-Green-Man

Last edited:
Just a word to all the Republican-leaning posters. Should you become a republic, you will never see any of the money allocated to things "royal" about which everyone crabs. It will be absorbed by the giant, grinding political machine. . .and you will no longer have anything special. Think twice.

Without having seen the interview, it sounds like Charles needs to prepare better for those unexpected questions. There was a script that his PR people stick to on that question, but in the heat of the moment, it seems Charles forgot the script!

He really didn't say anything different to what has already been said either publicly or privately. We will have to wait and see.

The wording at the time was 'intended' but we all know intentions can change. Even at the time Tony Blair said that she would be Queen Camilla when asked in parliament.

I totally agree with you. This interview was actually given over 3 months ago (in early August). It has only now been dug up by the Daily Mail & Nicholas Whitchell (neither of them fans of Prince Charles & Camilla) to try to manufacture controversy where there is none. The latest opinion poll has shown that fewer than a quarter of those polled want Prince William to succeed to the throne in place of Prince Charles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camilla will be Queen when Charles ascends the throne. The past is now of no consequence. She is the rightful queen and should be titled as such.

Her official title will NEVER be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales. Catherine is not a princess in her own right. All these dumb writers have to do is read Wikipedia to figure that out.

I just watched an TV program with the POW and the man giving the interview called Diana. Princess Diana right to Charles. He still cringes when they mention her name...any way my point is they never (the press) get titles and styles correct...So they get paid to know the facts but dont take the time to research a name:ermm:

Charles was hesitant to say too much, or too little?about being King or about Camilla being, or not being Queen. That's just an example of how deeply and seriously he considers things. He's very careful. He knows that things are always changing. Nothing is static. Life is always transforming. Laws are rewritten. Laws become obsolete. The world marches on. He is a wise man. God bless the Prince of Wales.

I just watched an TV program with the POW and the man giving the interview called Diana. Princess Diana right to Charles. He still cringes when they mention her name...any way my point is they never (the press) get titles and styles correct...So they get paid to know the facts but dont take the time to research a name:ermm:

Was it the name or the title that caused him to cringe? She would correct people who called her Princess Diana as she knew that it wasn't correct and Charles is such a stickler for correct titles etc that I think he might have been more cringing at the continued ignorance of the people asking that they couldn't get her title correct. He was reportedly on good terms with her when she died and she is the mother of his sons so I don't think he would be cringing at her name at all.

Did anyone see the interview on NBC Dateline last night with Prince Charles? I had the impression from the questions posed and how he responded that he isn't too keen on becoming King. He knows that he has a certain amount of freedom as the Prince of Wales to pursue his environmental passions and speak out about the issues that are most important to him, and he knows that once he becomes King, he will need to be nuetral rather than make political or public stands for the things he is passionate about.

I have to wonder if Prince Charles WILL ascend to the throne once the Queen passes. He is very much set in his ways and as such will find it very difficult to mold himself into the role a King must adhere to. He isn't a young man and I think if he is forced to give up the passions that have drive him now, he will be extremely unhappy.

Was it the name or the title that caused him to cringe? She would correct people who called her Princess Diana as she knew that it wasn't correct and Charles is such a stickler for correct titles etc that I think he might have been more cringing at the continued ignorance of the people asking that they couldn't get her title correct. He was reportedly on good terms with her when she died and she is the mother of his sons so I don't think he would be cringing at her name at all.

you may be correct, but he was promoting a new book he wrote I don't understand why here in the US and other places they always have to bring her into it.
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...lliams&usg=AFQjCNFHm4ltejjypJ_vbAisJcGhvLZUPg

I have to wonder if Prince Charles WILL ascend to the throne once the Queen passes. He is very much set in his ways and as such will find it very difficult to mold himself into the role a King must adhere to. He isn't a young man and I think if he is forced to give up the passions that have drive him now, he will be extremely unhappy.

When the Queen passes he automatically ascends the throne. He has no say in the matter. If he doesn't want to do it he will have to get the legislation passed during the present reign. He won't do that. Really it is like any other job - good and bad parts. He knows what he can't do in his job (like I know things I can't do in mine) and will fit into that mold when the time comes. He also expresses a lack of enthusiasm at times because it means that his mother will have died. For those of us who have lost our mothers that is a traumatic occasion at whatever age it happens and for Charles at 62 it will be an awful day.

Charles has been heir apparent virtually his entire life, the prospect of being king is "part of his DNA" to use revolting current corporate-speak. And word is he is rather keen on the idea and has been planning his own coronation for years. Tales have been told of "don't you know who I am, I'm going to be king one day" style rants; I doubt there's much chance of Charles stepping aside when his time comes.

Tales have been told of "don't you know who I am, I'm going to be king one day" style rants;
What tales may they be? What "don't you know who I am?" rants? Do tell.
Reliable sources would be good too. :)

I doubt there's much chance of Charles stepping aside when his time comes.
It'll be a bit late "when his time comes" as the way it works is "The Queen is dead. Long love the King!".
His accession as Monarch is immediate upon the death of his mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom