The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

The thing with the Queen abdicating - besides her own regular statements to the contrary in one way or another and as recently as 2012 - is that the required legislation has to pass in the 16 other realms, not only the UK as happened in 1936.

That makes it harder to get it done, particularly given the republican movements in some of those realms who could easily take that opportunity to delay the legislation to make a decision on becoming a republic.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
How the younger breed of Royals is moving centre stage-
How the younger breed of Royals is moving centre stage - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
I like the statement about Catherine and William:

They are playing a constructive role, too, in bringing a more contemporary note to royal duties.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The majority of people who want William to jump think this way because William is younger....that's all the qualifications he has. In 2 decades if he still isn't King people will want George instead of him because they will then have a young good looking monarch and not an old man. I've even heard some calling for Harry to be king.
It's the modern cult of youth over experience.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The majority of people who want William to jump think this way because William is younger....that's all the qualifications he has. In 2 decades if he still isn't King people will want George instead of him because they will then have a young good looking monarch and not an old man. I've even heard some calling for Harry to be king.

This is a repeat of the late 70s - early 80s when people were calling for the Queen to step down for Charles and even suggesting that Andrew would make a better King than Charles because he was more 'personable'.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
It's the modern cult of youth over experience.

I am not sure how 'modern' it is. There were similar suggestions in the late 1890s that George V should succeed Victoria rather than his aging father.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am not sure how 'modern' it is. There were similar suggestions in the late 1890s that George V should succeed Victoria rather than his aging father.
Nothing to do with age, but also when Edward VIII abdicated there was a view that he should be succeeded by the more personable Duke of Kent than the Duke of York. So suggestions that the monarchy become a version of the X-Factor, with contestants voted out by the public, is nothing new either.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Nothing to do with age, but also when Edward VIII abdicated there was a view that he should be succeeded by the more personable Duke of Kent than the Duke of York. So suggestions that the monarchy become a version of the X-Factor, with contestants voted out by the public, is nothing new either.
Not only was the Duke of Kent seen as "more personable" he had a more glamorous and royal-born wife AND a male heir (the current Duke.) Of course, he had his secret life too and that could have been catastrophic for the monarchy had it became known.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Kent was not even the next brother. The Duke of Gloucester was next so to get to the Duke of Kent - they would have to skip Bertie, Elizabeth and Margaret and Henry, the Duke of Gloucester.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Duke of Kent was not even the next brother. The Duke of Gloucester was next so to get to the Duke of Kent - they would have to skip Bertie, Elizabeth and Margaret and Henry, the Duke of Gloucester.

Reportedly that is exactly what was discussed: The Duke of York stammered, was uncomfortable in public and had only daughters. The Duke of Gloucester was not charismatic at all, uncomfortable in public, was known to be a heavy drinker with an explosive temper who had just married a very quiet woman who was already nearly 36 and might not be able to have children. (Remember, in 1936 that was a very advanced age for a first time mother; in fact the Duchess was nearly 42 before her first child was born.) It was thought that the Kent family (attractive, charming and undeniably royal) might be a better bet for the reasons I listed above. It was finally decided that enough disruption was happening without tinkering with the succession as well. Thankfully saner minds prevailed.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The concept of an elected monarchy, or at least for the monarch to be chosen from among the members of the extended royal family was an incident of Anglo-Saxon times, and I think that there is a lot to be said for it.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post

Quote:
Yes there was certainly some conniving and manipulation afoot . . . However, the sucession is graven if not in stone but on paper. The movers and shakers moved and shook but to no real purpose because the abdication overtook them, as did the law. Changing the law of sucession would have required time. which they didn't have, for a law change which may very well have led to a change of government.

I suspect the main motivators were the same ones that panicked when they realised that King George was terminally ill. There was talk that Elizabeth was too young, only a women (yeah, I know Queen Elizabeth I and Victoria, but bigots tend to have short memories as we shall see). What? We have a plan . . . . why not get the good old Duke of Windsor to become Regent for a bit . . . erm, wasn't he just a little too enthused about Herr Hitler?

Any such machinations would be near impossible these days as we live in a time of instant everything, not least communication. Used to be loose lips sunk ships, these days it's tweets!

And, let's not forget the man and woman in the street. Electing a new Monarch smacks too much of politics and would we expect the contenders to campaign? Well that is generally how elections are run but wait a minute, isn't that why we're a Constitutional Monarchy, so we don't have to elect a President? Would Labour back one contender and the Lib Dems another and so on? If it's not broke don't fix it!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Nobility

I'm starting to think that now would be a good time for the Queen's cousins to retire from royal life. They could be thanked for their long service and dedication tot he firm, but that there are now younger royals who are ready to take on the work.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I'm starting to think that now would be a good time for the Queen's cousins to retire from royal life. They could be thanked for their long service and dedication tot he firm, but that there are now younger royals who are ready to take on the work.
Perhaps they don't wish to retire. Don't they get some sort of recompense- in cash or in kind- from HM for performing duties? For the most part, the work doesn't look too hard or unpleasant.

PS- loved the above discussion of the politicking and machinations at the time of the abdication.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Perhaps they don't wish to retire. Don't they get some sort of recompense- in cash or in kind- from HM for performing duties? For the most part, the work doesn't look too hard or unpleasant.
They can continue to be given an income from the Queen and a free place to live. I would like to see William, Kate and harry doing at least 500 engagements a year each which would make the minor royals unnecessary.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They cam continue to be given an income from the Queen and a free place to live. I would like to see William, Kate and harry doing at least 500 engagements a year each which would make the minor royals unnecessary.
Do you mean now or when Charles is King? Where is the money for 1500 extra engagements going to come from?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Do you mean now or when Charles is King? Where is the money for 1500 extra engagements going to come from?
Now is as good a time as any. It will allow the public to focus on the Queen's own family.

The Kents and Gloucesters retiring would allow this money to be diverted to the young royals.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not sure about them retiring unless there are some sort of illness. I think the best solution is for some of the minor royals to pass down some of their roles and charitable organizations to the younger royals who have an interest in the roles. I can see Catherine taking on Princess Alexandra's patronage of The Starlight Children's Foundation. Catherine and her family have supported the charity for years.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The total of amount of the engagements that the Kents and Gloucesters do a year doesn't equal 500. More money would be needed for the extra 1000.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They can continue to be given an income from the Queen and a free place to live. I would like to see William, Kate and harry doing at least 500 engagements a year each which would make the minor royals unnecessary.
How do you expect Prince Harry to perform 500 engagements and serve in the military at the same time? I think the number of engagements he does is fine taking into account his other commitments.

Out of interest, for whose benefit do you want to see the change - the older royals who have not shown any desire to cut back, the younger royals who have shown a desire to serve their country through service in the Army and Air Ambulance service, or the public who just want to gawp at William and Kate?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The total of amount of the engagements that the Kents and Gloucesters do a year doesn't equal 500. More money would be needed for the extra 1000.

Last year when the Duke of Kent missed a few weeks due to his stroke and Alexandra missed most of the year my total for the four was 594.

This year so far I have the four of them at 437 with over a third of the year to go so 'doesn't equal 500' isn't accurate at all.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v