The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
"young, energic Kings in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium" were only heirs. They had only salaries (apanages) and several honorary positions as heirs. That's all.
Prince Charles is in completely different situation. He has Duchy of Cornwell which generates his independent incomes. He has built his own empire - The Prince Trust, organization with more than 100 mln.pound year budget. And he has his own projects, such as Dumfries House and Romanian villages. Continental heirs don't have such power, influence and achievements. To be successful king is their only way to achieve something.
I don't know what you want to say. The Prince of Wales has no desire on the kingship, or he can wait long enough, because he has the Duchy of Cornwall giving him income?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I don't know what you want to say. The Prince of Wales has no desire on the kingship, or he can wait long enough, because he has the Duchy of Cornwall giving him income?
Well, youthful... Prince William is already a balding man in his thirty-somethings. Prince Harry still has a youthful appearance but I noted the Windsor fate of balding men is hitting him now too...

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Monarchy is NOT a beauty contest... the succession is established by LAW, and is not dependant on youth, quantity of hair or any such superficial characteristics.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think Charles is very comfortable in the role he has now but will gladly do all he can to support his mother and the monarchy wherever he is needed. I don't think he is "chomping at the bits" to be monarch but knows that the day will come come when he will have to step into that role and will do it beautifully. To quote his own words in a way, "He's been doing it long enough".

Even though now in his mid 60s, he still is very much the "Action Man" and that is to prescribe to him a way of being of always constantly doing something. Its been stated that he takes walks to relax and think. Most of the British Royal Family are like that, more prone to be doing something than sitting behind a TV tray with dinner (although its been reported that this is a common thing) and I think that adds to their general health and well being.

Although the young and glamorous is what makes the papers the most and generates mass followings, it is the long term dedication to service and duty that is most admired about the British monarchy and I think we would have a very stunned world should The Queen announce an abdication in favor of Charles. It simply isn't the British way of doing things.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do feel sorry for Charles that he is put in a position to wait this long to take the job everyone insists he was born to do and because he hasn't done it yet some people criticize and don't take him as seriously as they should. At the same time it is a horrible system where you wait for years to do the job "you were born to do" which means waiting for your mother to die. I think the Dutch and Spanish have a good idea going.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Young Royals taking over-
Rob Jobson has details of the possible future of the monarchy.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/vide...s-taking-over/

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

He didn't say anything we haven't already discussed here many times.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

How the younger breed of Royals is moving centre stage-
How the younger breed of Royals is moving centre stage - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Nick Clegg's mother is Dutch (he actually speaks Dutch fluently !) and his wife is Spanish. Given recent abdications in the Netherlands and Spain, one understands where he is coming from.
And as I understand it he was speaking to someone not addressing a crowd. Eavesdroppers again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
. . . . . His succession has always been a touchy subject and he prefer to not talk about it. He'll make a great King though and he'll do things his way.
Many years ago I saw him in a interview where a reporter asked how he felt getting older and no throne in sight. He responded that since his sucession to the throne was dependant on the death of his mother, he personally was in no particular hurry. I see nothing that would have changed his opinion.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

I do think that a lot of people actually don't think the royals have feelings like the rest of us with their discussions of hoping that Charles dies before his mother, meaning that an 88 year old woman has to mourn her own first born (I often wonder how much the fact that The Queen Mum had to go to her younger child's funeral hastened her death as I am sure she would have loved to have been at the Jubilee celebrations of her elder daughter). I have asked people that question on the DM and been red-arrowed to death - telling me that many people actually hope that The Queen has to go the funeral of her own first born child and a child that she loves as any mother does.

If is the same thing with wanting William to succeed the Queen and jump over his father - in other words they want William to so hate his father that he would take away his father's position.

It says a lot more about the poster/writer as they just don't get the fact that the royals are real flesh and blood people in an abnormal life situation.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's sad that a beautiful and grand event such as Charles's succession and Coronation can only come about due to the death of his mother, The Queen. I think a great deal of people understand that this is a very touchy subject for Charles and even the entire royal family. Not to mention the British people and governments.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the tradition in the UK that there is a gap between the monarch's funeral and the coronation of the next one. There is time to mourn and reflect and in a about a yr to yr and a half time to look forward with a huge ceremony that most of us haven't ever seen occur in our lifetimes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Royal Highness

Read here in this topic that there are people who say that Charles will never be King. If that happens you think that William is going to be a good King? And how do you think will be the reign of William?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I like the tradition in the UK that there is a gap between the monarch's funeral and the coronation of the next one. There is time to mourn and reflect and in a about a yr to yr and a half time to look forward with a huge ceremony that most of us haven't ever seen occur in our lifetimes.

It's one the events that I hope I'm here to see. I know with all this modern day technology, YouTube, Facebook and all that great stuff, Accession Day and Coronation Day will be out of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Read here in this topic that there are people who say that Charles will never be King. If that happens you think that William is going to be a good King? And how do you think will be the reign of William?
No matter if it's Charles's reign (very likely) or William's reign, they will both step up to the plate and do their duty to the United Kingdom and Commonwealth. I think they will make very good King's.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I do think that a lot of people actually don't think the royals have feelings like the rest of us with their discussions of hoping that Charles dies before his mother, meaning that an 88 year old woman has to mourn her own first born (I often wonder how much the fact that The Queen Mum had to go to her younger child's funeral hastened her death as I am sure she would have loved to have been at the Jubilee celebrations of her elder daughter). I have asked people that question on the DM and been red-arrowed to death - telling me that many people actually hope that The Queen has to go the funeral of her own first born child and a child that she loves as any mother does.

If is the same thing with wanting William to succeed the Queen and jump over his father - in other words they want William to so hate his father that he would take away his father's position.

It says a lot more about the poster/writer as they just don't get the fact that the royals are real flesh and blood people in an abnormal life situation.
Excellent post ILuvBertie. If Charles is hesitant about discussing his ascension to the throne, imagine how reluctant his son is at discussing his own.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I do believe that he will do a good job, but I know that it will be heavily influenced by the economic/political/social climate of the country at that time in history as all reigns are.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Part of me thinks that Charles won't be King, and that he will pass the throne onto William instead, as I have a feeling that HM will live for a long time like the Queen Mother did, although the other half of me thinks that Charles will get some time on the throne - just look at Prince Philip now, he's still able to perform royal engagements and he's ninety three.

I think William will be a good King, but I would expect him to perform more engagements than he is now, but to be fair he's probably focusing more on his job as a helicopter pilot at the moment. I'm not saying that he's lazy, I'm just saying that I think he should appear in public more often.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know why but I have a feeling that Queen Elizabeth could cede the throne to Charles within a short time, perhaps in 2016.
We should not forget that she next year will become the longest Queen was on the throne of the United Kingdom and the Queen can make the decision to abdicate the throne and start a new era in British monarchy. Elizabeth II did his duty as Queen and as sensible person who is may assign the throne to his son, I wouldn't be shocked if she took that decision.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

After waiting so long, it doesn't seem likely that Charles would just abdicate immediately to allow William to reign.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

The majority of people who want William to jump think this way because William is younger....that's all the qualifications he has. In 2 decades if he still isn't King people will want George instead of him because they will then have a young good looking monarch and not an old man. I've even heard some calling for Harry to be king.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v