The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
The overwhelming emotion of most people as regards whether Camilla should be Queen is indifference IMO. From my experience, people just aren't bothered whether she's Queen or not. That's how I know she's accepted. It makes no practical difference to their lives so why get worked up over it.

People said she and Charles would never marry because of public opinion, they said that when she did marry Charles she would never be accepted, that people would refuse to shake her hand or hurl abuse at her during her public engagements. That simply hasn't happened.

Having lived in the UK all my life, and in different parts of the UK, I regularly hear from people on the odd occasion that she comes up in conversation that their opinion of her has changed for the better. She'll never be loved by a big proportion of the population, but then the same could be said of, for example, Prince Philip. There's a growing affection for him now in his very old age, but he's never really been enormously popular.
This sounds reasonable to me. I suspect the fluctuations in recent polls are either the result of a bad sample or a change in wording, i.e., "queen" versus "queen consort."

My understanding is that when the time comes, Camilla will legally become Queen, regardless of the title she decides to use. The majority of people will either want her to be known as 'queen' or be opposed, but not really care that much.

At the same time, there will be a minority of people who will be rabidly and vocally opposed and the media will do its best to stir things up. Unfortunately, I think that Charles and Camilla may decide that she will use a lesser title because she won't want Charles reign to be overwhelmed by controversy over what is essentially a minor issue.

As the recent articles about his efforts with renovating the Dumfries property illustrates, Charles is dedicated to making a positive difference in people's life. He may become more popular if he played it safe and concentrated on photo ops with sick children--which would certainly do a lot of good--but he has decided to get involved in causes that aren't as media friendly but are still vitally important to the people involved.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 AM
Gentry

I'm sometimes rather skeptical of the popularity of the monarchy in the UK. Whenever you onto an article on Facebook or Daily Mail, about 99% of the comments are aimed against the royal family. The majority of them go on about how the royals are "parasites", how they should be shot for being "traitors", that the Queen and her family are just a load of "inbred Germans".
And with a big majority of the comments against HM and other members of the royal family it's makes me wonder if the monarchy is really as popular as people say it is.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Majesty

Whenever a real poll is done - such as YouGov - it shows that the BRF is very popular and that thus things like the DM aren't all that reliable e.g. one story will have 60% in favour and 40% opposed and the next one the opposite. I have posted there and had mainly up arrows one day and for the exact some post the opposite the next day.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Whenever a real poll is done - such as YouGov - it shows that the BRF is very popular and that thus things like the DM aren't all that reliable e.g. one story will have 60% in favour and 40% opposed and the next one the opposite. I have posted there and had mainly up arrows one day and for the exact some post the opposite the next day.

I never really like to doubt the popularity of the royal family, though some of the awful comments posted by people on things such as DM and FB make me wonder, one person even said that Prince George should be put in a bin! I'm all for freedom of speech, but comments like that are just downright horrible. Though I do believe that the at least 80% of Brits probably have a favourable view of the royal family, I believe many of those who post horrible things about the royals are very much on a minority, and hopefully always will be. As i said, if you favour a republican system then fine, you may give your opinion on that. However, people saying that HM & her family should be shot like the poor Romanov dynasty really are just despicable.

Though as you have said, polls done by several independent sources generally show the royal family's popularity is still very high, and long may it last.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
I never really like to doubt the popularity of the royal family, though some of the awful comments posted by people on things such as DM and FB make me wonder, one person even said that Prince George should be put in a bin! I'm all for freedom of speech, but comments like that are just downright horrible. Though I do believe that the at least 80% of Brits probably have a favourable view of the royal family, I believe many of those who post horrible things about the royals are very much on a minority, and hopefully always will be. As i said, if you favour a republican system then fine, you may give your opinion on that. However, people saying that HM & her family should be shot like the poor Romanov dynasty really are just despicable.

Though as you have said, polls done by several independent sources generally show the royal family's popularity is still very high, and long may it last.

My sense is that many of the negative comments on the Daily Mail website are posted by a few people using several online identities.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
My sense is that many of the negative comments on the Daily Mail website are posted by a few people using several online identities.
And if you look carefully you'll notice that the majority of the negative comments are from people who are not from the UK or the Commonwealth, the majority are from US or South America.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Courtier

Go any article DM the amount of bile in the comment section is unreal. If public opinion was really like the DM comment section then the RF would be booed everywhere they would go.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Go any article DM the amount of bile in the comment section is unreal. If public opinion was really like the DM comment section then the RF would be booed everywhere they would go.

Well, I suppose you have a point there.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Majesty

I find it interesting that in the recent article on Camilla - where she went to the shortbread factory I posted 9 comments of which only 4 were published and they are running at 99 green and 34 red arrows in total but last week on a similar article I posted about the same number of posts - again had 4 published and had 166 red arrows to 34 green and the tone of all 8 published posts was the same - supportive of Camilla.

Has her popularity changed that much in a week? No - but the posts that are being posted are being rated differently in each case.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Now why am I not surprised that only 4 posts were published each time, skewing the result for anyone reading the opinions.

The published opinions must have met the designated slant of the week criteria and, as you have shown, prove nothing about anything.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 AM
Courtier

Charles Succession Row!

Nick Clegg sparks Royal row after saying it was must be a 'nightmare' for Charles that he's had to wait so long to be King* | Mail Online
Old 07-27-2014, 04:01 AM
Majesty

Why would it be a nightmare to still have his mother alive when he is in his mid-60s? I bet most of us would love to have our mothers still with us at that point in our lives.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 AM
Courtier

Clegg is a widely discredited self-publicist, whose party [the Liberal-Democrats] are expected to be annihilated in the 2017 General Election. He will shortly truly know nightmares of his own...
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 AM
Royal Highness

Mr Clegg has a point anyway. The Prince of Wales will begin his eventual kingship at an age with which most in his country are already enjoying retirement... Apart from an immediate Pavlov-reaction, the message of Mr Clegg has something to consider without prejudices.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 AM
Courtier

In this country, Monarchs are at their most popular when young and glamorous... they bcome uninteresting [to the public] during middle age, before becoming revered in old age. The classic example is Queen Victoria, but there are many other examples [such as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother], and indeed the present Queen.
With the aging demographic in this, and many other countries King Charles iii will chime in perfectly with the mood of his era [having earned respect through his tireless years working as Prince of Wales.] The beauty of a Royal FAMILY, is that there are always young family members [like Harry and George] to provide excitement and glamour.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Royal Highness

In ye olde times a King in his seventies had reached an advanced and blessed age. With the general rise of standards in nutrition, hygiene, sanitation and health care the general population grows older and older, be it that these more and more advanced ages are often paired with more and more geriatric problems.

The Kings of Spain and of the Belgians whom have abdicated visibly sufferend physical problems during a longer period. Like Pope Benedictus XVI they might have considered for themselves that they feel no longer able to fulfill their duties to the high standard they demand from others and themselves. The various Sovereigns in the both Houses of Nassau (Netherlands and Luxembourg) followed a longer standing tradition of handing over the royal prerogatives to a younger generation.

Now the most interesting fact seems to appear that the Queen has a remarkably high age in a most extraordinary wellbeing and health. She is blessed with that. But with the advancing of ages this also means that when King Charles III reaches a blessed age in the 90's, his son William will be in his sixties when he becomes King. When King William IV dies at the age of 90, his son George will be 60 too when he comes on the throne. A total difference with the young, energic Kings in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium...
Old 07-27-2014, 06:00 AM
Courtier

It may be [in the future] that King William v will consider abdicating in favour of his son, before he reaches advanced old age..
However it is certain that the present Queen will not [for reasons already exhaustively rehersed on other threads..]
Incidentally i have an atrologer friend who is certain Charles will never reign [apparently he doesn't have 'Kingship' in his birthchart, as William does]. Charles may of course predecease his mother, but personally hope not, as i think he will make a fine king. and i'd prefer to see William & Catherine raise their family before assuming the heavy duties of 'the top jobs'..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Nobility

Nick Clegg's mother is Dutch (he actually speaks Dutch fluently !) and his wife is Spanish. Given recent abdications in the Netherlands and Spain, one understands where he is coming from.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Courtier

"young, energic Kings in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium" were only heirs. They had only salaries (apanages) and several honorary positions as heirs. That's all.
Prince Charles is in completely different situation. He has Duchy of Cornwell which generates his independent incomes. He has built his own empire - The Prince Trust, organization with more than 100 mln.pound year budget. And he has his own projects, such as Dumfries House and Romanian villages. Continental heirs don't have such power, influence and achievements. To be successful king is their only way to achieve something.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Majesty

The beauty of the British royal family will always be on the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's future family. The British people may not have a youthful King and Consort on the throne in the future but they will have a youthful Prince & Princess of Wales. That's where all the attention will be anyway.

His succession has always been a touchy subject and he prefer to not talk about it. He'll make a great King though and he'll do things his way.

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v