The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: No. There'd be no reason to discontinue them that I can think of. They were started originally to pay for the restoration of Windsor Castle after the fire. I don't know whether that's been paid for completely; but if it has, I'm sure that the funds can be well-used somewhere else. The historic buildings have to be kept up.

Do you think Charles will do away with the sightseeing tours of Buckingham Palace? :castle2::castle2::castle2::castle2::castle2:

When the Queen first opened BP to the public during the summer it was supposed to be for 5 years to pay for Windsor Castle. As they have been so successful they have continued for another 19 years and counting. I doubt that Charles will stop them. If the reports are true and he doesn't intend on moving into the palace they may even be extended beyond the two months they are open for now e.g. - the two months over Christmas when the monarch is at Sandringham or the two weeks over Easter when the Court moves to Windsor - thus bringing in more income for the upkeep of the occupied Royal Palaces.

"It is unprecedented in modern times for a royal wife not in direct line to the throne to be a member of the Privy Council, showing the esteem in which Her Majesty holds Camilla. "

I fully agree ...
And so do I.

Is this another one of those ways the monarchy stays in the past and does not change? So tired of people, especially the media beating that dead horse.

Could you clarify how this is staying in the past and beating a dead horse?

William now have two roles within the privy council. He's a counsellor of state and a member of the privy council.

Do you think that King Charles III will go to Balmoral for the same time periods like his mother does?

am i the only one who think if the queen abdicate it will secure the monarchy future and decrease the possibility of realms like canada , jamaica , scotland and australia to ask for independence because a lot of those realms and republicans are connecting the monarchy with the queen because of her long reign and they think that the monarchy should end with her but if she was there to support prince charles it will be much better for the monarchy cause the people will get used to the thought of king charles while still having a great symbol of the monarchy

Last edited:
:previous: There's not much of a Republican movement here and, when a referendum on changing our flag was forced on us by the PM, it was defeated overwhelmingly.

but scotland independence referendum ended with just 55.3% against independence and definitely this numbers will decrease when the queen is gone cause even normal people connect the queen and the monarchy and if they were asked after her if they want to keep the monarchy alot will say no

The closest thing to a republican movement in Canada is Quebec. And hey don't wan to leave the commonwealth, they want to leave Canada. There may be republicans around, but its not very vocal in Canada. Honestly, we may be the queen's last realm to leave. :flowers:

but scotland independence referendum ended with just 55.3% against independence and definitely this numbers will decrease when the queen is gone cause even normal people connect the queen and the monarchy and if they were asked after her if they want to keep the monarchy alot will say no

So your solution to keeping republicans at bay is to get rid of her??? Um... I am so confused. It is like saying people hate taxes, so we will make them like taxes, by increasing the taxes. Putting Charles on the throne quicker would do the opposite, it may speed up people seeking a republic. Many people in Scotland voted against it because they wanted the queen on the throne. If she abdicates before sentiments change, Charles has little chance at keeping his throne.

The fact is even staunch republicans tend to like the queen. Many are more than prepared to wait until she dies, to make a move. Charles not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that King Charles III will go to Balmoral for the same time periods like his mother does?

I think Charles will do some things similar to his mother. Also, his job will be to look after the estates, as The Queen do.

am i the only one who think if the queen abdicate it will secure the monarchy future and decrease the possibility of relames like canada , jamaica , scotland and australia to ask for independence because a lot of those relames and republicans are connecting the monarchy with the queen because of her long reign and they think that the monarchy should end with her but if she was there to support prince charles it will be much better for the monarchy cause the people will get used to the thought of king charles while still having a great symbol of the monarchy

Here is the long version, which I posted for a while ago:

When it comes to the other realms: That hasn't somthing to do with the Charles or the monarchy. It's has to do with that they don't want a foreigner as head of state.

1 - Will the Queen abdicate? No she will not, as I and others have said several times before.

During the Coronation in 1953 she pledged to govern the countries where she is head of state - a promise which she said she would "perform and keep. So help me God."

The Coronation Oath, 2 June 1953:
https://www.royal.uk/coronation-oath-2-june-1953
The things which I have here before promised, I will perform and keep. So help me God.

The Christmas Broadcast 2002:
https://www.royal.uk/christmas-broadcast-2002
Fortified by this and the support you have given throughout the last twelve months which has meant so much to me, I look forward to the New Year, to facing the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead, and to continuing to serve you to the very best of my ability each and every day.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee message 2012:
https://www.royal.uk/queens-diamond-jubilee-message
In this special year, as I dedicate myself anew to your service

Nocookies | The Australian
In his recent memoir, former foreign minister Bob Carr provided insight into why. He related a conversation between the Queen and Australia’s outgoing high commissioner to London, the former South Australian premier Mike Rann, that touched on the abdication of Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands.“It’s not something we do here,’’ Elizabeth said.

Letter to The Times, published Wednesday 4th February 2015, from the Principal Private Secretary to TRH The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
Our view
His Royal Highness has always preferred not to comment on matters which relate to a future whose date is unknown, and would arise only after the death of his mother.

These are just some of the statements/evidence that show us that she will never abdicate. Former Prime Ministers, former staffers etc have said the same. And the fact that the Queen will never abdicate has nothing to do with Charles with Charles popularity. She had not abdicated regardless Charles being popular or not.

2 - Should the Queen abdicate? No she should not, as I and others have said several times before, becauce that would have been disastrous for the British monarchy and this is why:

As I've said before on others threads, The monarchies in the UK, Denmark and Norway remains popular, and some polls have shown record high support the last four years. This is not going to change unless we get some very very major scandals, which is unlikely.

Republicanism in the UK remains among the lowest in the world, with figures rarely exceeding 20% in support of a British republic, some polls have it as low 13%, and consistent ~70% support for the continuation of the Monarchy. And Some polls have the support for the monarchy as high as 82%, others at around 70 to 76%, another poll has the support for the monarchy from 66 to 70%.

The vast majority of the population will never vote to replace a constitutional monarchy with a divisive politician or a celebrity.

And it will be very difficult in Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands too:
1: Most polls must show a majority for a republic, this is very very unlikely.
2: Majority in the parliaments for a referendum, this is not going to happen.
3: Majority in the referendum for a republic, this is not going to happen.

I don't think we will see a republic in Sweden or Belgium either, and I hope that the Spanish monarchy will survive.

So all these monarchies (with the exception of Belgium and Spain) are safe for at least the next 100 years. And should the Spanish monarchy be abolished, it will not affect the UK. And I don't think it will affect Denmark and Norway either.

The Netherlands:
Abdication is a tradition there, it has taken place since 1948.

Spain:
Juan Carlos had repeatedly said that he would not abdicate, but because of his stupidity, he had no choice.

Belgium:
Albert was frail and did it for health reasons, but look how he have behaved towards his son after he abdicated.

Denmark and Sweden:
If Margrethe and Carl Gustaf decides to abdicate, they can do it without any problems and it will not hurt the monarchies.

Norway:
I used to say the same about the Norwegian situasjonen too, but Haakon and Mette-Marit has been in some trouble with the press lately, so it hadn't been wise for Harald to abdicate now.

But we can't compare these monarchies with the British monarchy.

As far as UK is concerned, I actually think it is the safest Monarchy in the world, along with the Japanese, but an abdication can destroy it, and this is why:

Even if the Queen's vow that her whole life would be devoted to service and her view on the coronation oath hadn't been so important to her as it is, she wouldn't have abdicated, and this is the reason. The Queen is head of state of 16 countries and head of the Commonwealth, if she decided to abdicate each country would have to pass a bill approving the abdication as the demise of the crown legislation only accounts for a monarch's death not abdication. When Edward VIII abdicated, the UK could perform the necessary paper work for the Dominions...it cannot now. It would be too much of a legal headache and open debate about the monarchy, and not forget the Commonwealth.

If the Queen had abdicated it would have (as the member Ish said in another thread) created major problems for Charles and led to a fierce debate about the monarchy's future.

The republicans, the press (especially the mirror, the guardian, the independent and of course the mail/fail) would have gone absolutely crazy and they would have done what they could to dig up dirt about Charles.

It is better that Charles takes over when the Queen dies. It will go quietly without much debate, because people/media will be very occupied by the Queen's death. That will be a remarkable and very sad event.

The longer she reigns the better it is for Charles, in my opinion.

This was brilliantly written by EIIR (a former member here) in 2012.
When it comes to Charles acceding the throne I feel people miss the point. There is likely to be a huge outpouring of national grief when The Queen passes away. It's important not to underestimate how powerful that will be. Hundreds of thousands of people queued for days in order to file past the Queen Mother's coffin. The level of mourning for the Queen is likely to be a great deal deeper - the Queen is not only a much loved head of state, she's an international icon.

That national grief will, naturally, lead to a great deal of sympathy flowing to the RF generally, and Charles as the next in line.

There will also be a certain fascination in having a new monarch - the vast majority of Britons have only ever known one monarch. The process of new stamps, notes, coins, not to mention a coronation to look forward to. There's also the fact that Charles' reign is likely to be relatively short and William and Catherine will be closer to the throne while also having their own children who will, no doubt, fascinate us all in much the same way their parents have.

This is all a rather long winded way of saying I really don't believe that there will be any significant change to the British monarchy when Charles takes over. I think Charles will be a surprisingly popular King; he'll be at the 'sweet old man' age rather then in middle aged no mans land. It's an unfortunate fact of life nowadays; we see the young as interesting and cool, and the elderly as sweet and wise. It's the in between stage where people just aren't that interested.
And why on earth should she abdicate at the age of almost 90. Had she wanted to abdicate, she would have done it long ago.

It is being busy that keeps The Queen in good health.

If she becomes too frail to carry out her constitutional duties, a regency will be created.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ish
So your solution to keeping republicans at bay is to get rid of her??? Um... I am so confused. It is like saying people hate taxes, so we will make them like taxes, by increasing the taxes.

i'm not saying get rid of her i'm saying that if she abdicate but still have a presence like her mother queen elizabeth the queen mother it would smooth the process of charles accession cause the people will still have a huge symbol of the monarchy that is respected and loved by all while adapting to charles as a monarch :)

Scottish independence has very very little to do with the monarchy.

The British people though, will have to get used to having a King on the throne after a 64 year-plus reign of Queen Elizabeth, whenever Charles succeeds. I can't see how having an iconic ex monarch still on the scene when a new sovereign would be finding his feet in the job would help the situation at all! The people of Britain and the Commonwealth are proud of the longevity of the Queen's reign. There's no sign at all that I can see that people are longing for Queen Elizabeth to abdicate so they can see what a new reign will be like and stave off republicanism. When that new reign comes it will come soon enough.

Last edited:
I agree having the Queen abdicate doesn't help Charles. There is no tradition of abdication in the UK like there is in the Netherlands. The Queen after 60 + years on the throne isn't going to give it all up now to become Princess Elizabeth Duchesses of Edinburgh again.

There are 3 Kings in waiting so the UK will be seeing Kings on throne for years to come.

The Queen was old enough to see what her uncle's abdication did to her father. She isn't going to do that to her son . I am reminded of the line in The Kings Speech where Bertie says every other King's succeed a dead person but his predecessor is very much alive.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Reactions: Ish
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for HM to abdicate and the hell will freeze over before we see her abdicate. Charles is more than ready to be King. The nation knows he's more than ready to be King and the BRF have been planning for a very long time what will happen when that time comes. They leave absolutely nothing to chance.

Judging by the turnout today in London for Trooping the Color, the monarchy in the UK is very strong with a very beloved monarch on the throne and a very well prepared heir to the throne as her right hand man whenever she needs him.

The admission of the DoC to the Privy Council, bodes well for those of us who want her to be called by the LEGAL Title she will have once the PoW accedes...

Perhaps it is time the Palace announced that she will henceforth be known as HRH the Princess of Wales ? It is high time, and the use of the correct Title now, will go a LONG way to ensuring the use of the correct Title, when the time comes..

Last edited:
Perhaps it is time the Palace announced that she will henceforth be known as HRH the Princess of Wales ? It is high time, and the use of the correct Title now, will go a LONG way to ensuring the use of the correct Title, when the time comes..

With being Charles' wife, actually she had her choice of what she would be known as and opted for the oldest title that Charles has which is the Duke of Cornwall. She has worked hard for the past 11 years establishing a niche and a role as The Duchess of Cornwall and to change it now would be a unnecessary thing IMO.

I do agree that with the move of admitting Camilla to the Privy Counsel, it seems to be establishing a momentum for Camilla to become Queen Consort upon Charles' accession to the throne. That's a good thing in my book.

The admission of the DoC to the Privy Council, bodes well for those of us who want her to be called by the LEGAL Title she will have once the PoW accedes...

Well said !

Camilla for Queen, says Camilla Tominey | Camilla Tominey | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

Camilla did the right thing by choosing to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall. There's no need for her to be called The Princess of Wales. A change in her title would set back years of PR work in getting people to accept her. They are on the right path.

No matter if she's The Princess Consort or Queen Consort, her job will be to help shape Charles's Accession.

I agree having the Queen abdicate doesn't help Charles. There is no tradition of abdication in the UK like there is in the Netherlands. The Queen after 60 + years on the throne isn't going to give it all up now to become Princess Elizabeth Duchesses of Edinburgh again. [...]

Speaking about traditions:

Who would ever have thought the King of the Belgians to abdicate? Who would ever have thought that the King of Spain would abdicate? Who would ever have thought that the Pope would abdicate?.

In Belgium, in Spain, and at the Holy See, with the former Sovereigns still around, the new situation seems adapted in the shortest possible time without any problem. As was always problemless in the "abdication-monarchies" Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

I am sure Queen Elizabeth will never abdicate. But I was equally sure that a Pope would never abdicate. Morale of the story: only one person knows, and that is the Queen herself.

I agree having the Queen abdicate doesn't help Charles. There is no tradition of abdication in the UK like there is in the Netherlands. The Queen after 60 + years on the throne isn't going to give it all up now to become Princess Elizabeth Duchesses of Edinburgh again.

There are 3 Kings in waiting so the UK will be seeing Kings on throne for years to come.

The Queen was old enough to see what her uncle's abdication did to her father. She isn't going to do that to her son . I am reminded of the line in The Kings Speech where Bertie says every other King's succeed a dead person but his predecessor is very much alive.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If the Queen were to abdicate it wouldn't be like David's, and I'm sure she knows that.

It's one thing for a young(-ish) individual to be pushed into voluntarily abdicating and thus forcing someone who wasn't ever expecting to be on the throne to take it. It's another thing for someone who is considerably older to abdicate as a form of retirement and opening the way for someone who has spent their entire life preparing for the throne. We have seen this work in the Netherlands and Luxembourg, and in a manner in Lietchtenstein and the Papacy, and I think that's what the abdications in Spain and Belgium were presented as.

The problem with abdication in Britain at this time though is two-fold, as I've said elsewhere, and as Royal Norway has pointed out here. First, a 70-something monarch abdicating in favour of a 40-something heir isn't going to result in demands for another abdication immediately. A 90 year old monarch abdicating in favour of a 67 year old heir is going to cause a demand for the new monarch to abdicate in favour of the new younger heir.

Secondly, look at the BRF as it stands. We have the Queen, who is beloved. We have Charles and Camilla, who... As much as I personally like them, I recognize that it's probably a stretch to say they're more than accepted by the public. Then we have William and Kate who are shyer and more reserved on a public scene and haven't yet developed the working relationship with the public that older royals have. This has led to accusations of them being work shy and reluctant royals.

So what happens if the Queen abdicates? Well, first of all it makes it clear that an abdication is still possible in Britain. It makes people question why they have to accept Charles as King and Camilla as his consort (there will certainly be no accepting her as Queen if QEII is still alive), especially when many are still under the mistaken idea that a divorce cannot be monarch (after all, remember David?). Then there is increasing demand for Charles to abdicate, and whether or not he does so there'll be closer scrutiny of William and Kate as prospective monarchs. And if they're not forced into going full time by the circumstances, or if they are but they have a learning curve, or if they don't foster a better relationship with the media? How long do you think it'll be until major newspapers are questioning their ability to be King and Queen? And what happens then?

The Queen should be able to abdicate if she so desires. She has served her realms as monarch for more than 60 years, and is the longest reigning and longest lived British monarch ever. If she wanted retirement then she has more than earned it. But the sad fact is that Britain is not in a position where she could abdicate. Doing so would be disastrous for Charles' reign, as it would cause him to be plagued by demands for an abdication, could be disastrous for William's reign, and could even spell the end of the monarchy in Britain itself (after all, what happens when the beloved 90-something monarch abdicates, and you don't like the 60-something replacement so he abdicated, and the media turns against the 30-something replacement, and the next in line is still in diapers?).

As for the other realms... Who the monarch is has nothing to do with Republicanism in the Commonwealth Realms outside of Britain. It more has to do with the idea of foreign rule and whether or not the monarch and the RF are perceived as representing Australia, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Canada, etc. And given as each one of them would have to pass legislature to allow for an abdication at all, abdication would actually further republican movements. Why pass the legislature to allow a 90 year old foreign woman to abdicate in favour of her 67 year old son when you can pass the legislature to end the relationship with the monarchy instead?

Camilla did the right thing by choosing to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall. There's no need for her to be called The Princess of Wales. A change in her title would set back years of PR work in getting people to accept her. They are on the right path.

No matter if she's The Princess Consort or Queen Consort, her job will be to help shape Charles's Accession.

Exactly so. I highly doubt Camilla (for all her sins) was seeking a glorious title...I have always figured she was quite comfortable being the Duchess of Cornwall.

LaRae

Exactly so. I highly doubt Camilla (for all her sins) was seeking a glorious title...I have always figured she was quite comfortable being the Duchess of Cornwall.

LaRae

The past is the past, but after all that drama went down, Camilla has tried her best to not be seen as stepping on the toes of the late Princess's memory and family. She has gained my respect due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom