The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

We'll see what will happen once that day comes and Charles come to the throne. It's going to one headache for many involved and the British and world's press is going to have a good time too.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Majesty

I liked the late Diana Princess of Wales, and I miss her. She would have been a tremendous queen.

But she is dead. She isn't coming back, she will never be queen.

To deny Camilla what is rightfully hers under British law "out of sensitivity to Diana" is unfair and bordering on irrational. As someone else correctly pointed out the titles are not the personal property of the people who use them.

Camilla has conducted herself as Charle's wife in a way that I feel is beyond reproach and I say this as someone who has not always spoken well of her. She has done everything possible both to maintain a dignified image as a member of the BRF and build a role of her own within it without trying to "out Diana" the late princess.

It's time to let go and give Camilla a break. I think Diana would be the first to agree.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I liked the late Diana Princess of Wales, and I miss her. She would have been a tremendous queen.

But she is dead. She isn't coming back, she will never be queen.

To deny Camilla what is rightfully hers under British law "out of sensitivity to Diana" is unfair and bordering on irrational. As someone else correctly pointed out the titles are not the personal property of the people who use them.

Camilla has conducted herself as Charle's wife in a way that I feel is beyond reproach and I say this as someone who has not always spoken well of her. She has done everything possible both to maintain a dignified image as a member of the BRF and build a role of her own within it without trying to "out Diana" the late princess.

It's time to let go and give Camilla a break. I think Diana would be the first to agree.
Great comment and I totally agree. I actually think if she prefer to be called HRH The Princess Consort then I think it should be granted to her. If none of that matters and she's called Her Majesty The Queen upon Charles's succession, then so be it.

I just think it's going to be an interesting time for Camilla, Charles and the royal family once that day arrives.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

We have come a long way, to say the least. But still i think we have to leave to Camilla how she wants to be styled. Of course she will be "De jure" Queen Consort but if she wants to be called "Princess Consort" for some obvious reasons that's fine with me.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
There is NO provision in British law for Camilla to take a lesser title. A married woman takes the rank and style of her husband. {for the wife of a King, that style is Queen.}

It would require Parliament to pass legislation to change this ancient law and that would necessarily affect the position of ALL married women [if ithe legislation was restricted to Camilla only it would undoubtedly be challenged under the Human rights act.]

Unless the new law is passed by Parliament before the present Queens demise it would mean demoting and publicly humiliating the new Kings wife during the period of intense mourning following the Queens death.

I cannot conceive of a government [of any colour] that would dare attempt such an insult to the Prince of Wales, and to the Royal Family.
I could well be wrong but I believe that carefully drafted legislation could provide for a situation where Camilla could choose to be known by a style and title other than Queen. If married women were expressly given the option of choosing to take the styles and titles to which they were entitled according to tradition by reason of their status as wives, or to use the styles and titles to which they are entitled as individuals, and to clearly state that they can have styles and titles as individuals quite separate from any to which they would traditionally be presumed to have taken as wives (i.e. to enable a queen to have another, seemingly lesser, title) I see no problem in that regard as far as human rights questions are concerned. If you are giving people more rights rather than taking them away, can it be a problem? This is a genuine question, for I do not know and am only making an assumption here.

I do, however, see a potential problem in that men could argue that the legislation is discriminating against them by not giving them the right to take the styles and titles of their wives on marriage. But since the legislation I envisage regarding women would not be giving them the right to take their husband's styles and titles but merely adding rights in addition to those which traditional law already provides, perhaps it wouldn't be a problem.

There are plenty of far greater legal minds than mine in the UK and I am confident that if a few of them got together they could come up with something that would achieve the desired outcome regarding Camilla without insulting or offending anyone.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

Camilla has had one very big redeeming quality about her that finally made me take a hard look at why I disliked her so much over the years because of the time of Diana, Charles and her......she loves dogs. To me that is a big thing, when you love a dog, you show you are capable of loving yourself and if you can't love yourself then you can't love anybody. She has rescued dogs and brought them into her home.......now that is a huge 10 stars to her. l love dogs, cats, lions and all other animals on this earth.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
if a few of them got together they could come up with something that would achieve the desired outcome
I sincerely hope these eminent legal bods have more important legal considerations to occupy their brilliant minds.

The 'desired outcome' [of denying Camilla her rights] is desired by a decreasing number of Diana diehards, who are unable to move-on.
There is no detectable groundswell of public opinion clamouring for this change. Even the press [traditionally the formentors of hate towards Camilla have noticeably mellowed in their tone].

My guess is that nothing will be done, and when the sad time comes the [time honoured] apparatus of the Accession will proceed, with Charles proclaimed at St James' with his wife, the new Queen at his side.
No government, nor political party will have the appetite to 'rock the boat', [as there are no votes in it], and they know a consensus would be impossible to achieve..
Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

No one knows for sure what will happen about Camilla's title until the sad day HMQEII dies and Charles becomes King. Personally I suspect that in some way (and I'm no legal expert) a way will be found for Camilla to 'acquire' or use the title Princess Consort whilst legally being Queen. I can't see a situation where a parliament would strip the title Queen from Camilla withing months of HMQEIIs death and the longer she legal holds the title Queen the less chance there is of it been taken from her.
IMO she hasn't done anything that should mean she should be punished by having titles denied her, since she became a HRH she hasn't put a foot wrong.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The 'desired outcome' [of denying Camilla her rights]
I believe it is quite possible that Camilla would be happy to be "denied" this right. I would not be surprised if she truly wants to be Princess Consort or something else other than Queen, and if that's what she wants then I think that's how it should be. But if there was no public call for the change and it was only done because Camilla wanted it, she would be criticised for it.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

a sensible, practical and realistic response. Issuing new legislation for one individual would make the UK Gov look ridiculous.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

Camilla should and will be Queen consort.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness

The problem is that Clarence House more or less shot itself in the foot back in 2005 by claiming that Camilla WILL BE styled Princess Consort. Bet they quite regret this unnecessary PR move right now.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

But Charles has been interviewed since, not ruling it out

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness

Yep wait and see but still, from the POW website :

Will The Duchess become Queen when The Prince becomes King?

As was explained at the time of their wedding in April 2005, it is intended that The Duchess will be known as HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne.

FAQs

Of course we can play with the word "intended" ...
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

My thinking is if Camilla is going to perform the duties of a Queen Consort then she should be titled as such. It would be a different story if she wanted not to do royal duties and retire to private life sort of like the Duchess of Kent did.

I don't understand the thought process of taking a lesser title but doing the job of the Queen. It's not like Charles is going to put his wife behind his sister or daughter in law in the order of precedence. In hindsight, maybe it would have been better for CH to not to made a statement regarding Camilla's title when Charles became King . Say we will see in the future.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

interview by Charles, issued again by BBC last week. "Queen" Camilla is possible

BBC News - Prince Charles says Camilla 'may become Queen'

Old 06-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The problem is that Clarence House more or less shot itself in the foot back in 2005 by claiming that Camilla WILL BE styled Princess Consort. Bet they quite regret this unnecessary PR move right now.
I agree, but it was a very difficult time for the Palace, Clarence house.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
interview by Charles, issued again by BBC last week. "Queen" Camilla is possible

BBC News - Prince Charles says Camilla 'may become Queen'
Oh Charles, you are a man of contradictions ...
Old 06-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

But it wasn't will be but intends so there is wiggle room. At the time of the wedding, the PR team was busy trying to reinforce that Charles could remarry and retain his rights to the throne.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Oh Charles, you are a man of contradictions ...
Times change and views change with them. The recent opinion poll shows that. Why can't Charles change his standpoint. I do, you do - why can't he?

Enough of tablets of stone. People and opinions change - good thing IMO

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v