The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Ballet and abseiling down The Shard! What a wonderfully glorious royal dichotomy. In a nutshell no less.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Courtier

I don't believe any of the charities are fluff. Without royal support we would never hear of these many organisations who do good work in the community and would love to do more if only they could be noticed by the philanthropic types and big business who make large donations. With a royal in attendance these smaller charities at least have a chance of getting noticed. Some might consider them as Fluff but I bet there are many hardworking people and volunteers helping out with long hours which isn't Fluff. Charitable organistations are carefully vetted by the palace before adding them to the list.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Ive already posted this under Charles current events but given the lively discussion today

Its a report about an interview and it covers

Charles becoming King
Charles and his boys
His boys and the media

and......Camilla becoming Queen

EDIT - OLD INTERVIEW - but the BBC has re-issued it - presumably to restart the debate

BBC News - Prince Charles says Camilla 'may become Queen'

Mods - Ive posted this in 2 places - thats it. Up to you if there is a problem

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
One person's fluff is another person's livelihood.

As the royals are supposed to represent all Brits they should engage with all Brits and so Anne enjoys her lighthouses as much as she works for Save the Children, Andrew goes to the ballet (yes Andrew and the ballet) as well as climbs down buildings like The Shard for Outward Bound.
Andrew and the ballet and here I was thinking that the royals werent interested in the classical arts. I find that very pleasing.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Andrew and the ballet and here I was thinking that the royals werent interested in the classical arts. I find that very pleasing.
When I think of the BRF and the fine arts, the first person that comes to my mind is Charles. Charles loves classical music and opera too if I'm not mistaken. He's also a very fine watercolor artist and some of his work is simply amazing. It was Charles who working in collaboration with Kate to select the musical pieces that were used at the Cambridge's wedding.

Somewhere here on these forums is also a watercolor that was painted by the DoE of the family at the breakfast table.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Majesty

Andrew took over the ballet when Margaret died. I remember reading about him going to an event there and they interviewed one of the people in charge of the ballet who said that Andrew didn't only lend his name and attend public performances but he would often come to rehearsals etc and that he knew the dancers etc.

As for watercolourists - Prince Philip also is into water colours.

Andrew is also a photographer - of enough quality to have some of his pictures of his mother put on display alongside professionals in a formal display in 2002 at Windsor Castle (there were 50 photos chosen to show all facets of The Queen as part of the Golden Jubilee and that was the display at Windsor Castle) Andrew's photos didn't look out of place beside those professionals.

fyi Sandringham had a display of the Christmas Cards that The Queen and Philip had sent over the 50 years in 2002.

I had a lengthy tour of the UK that year and visited every royal home, except Balmoral, and all of the had a Golden Jubilee display.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In The Royals, Kitty Kelley wrote:

"Charles is unfit to be king," declared the Labor MP Ron Davies on television. "He spends time talking to trees, flowers, and vegetables."

Charles may have worked with flowers and vegetables, but he does know that a monarch has duties.
Oh good grief, Catty Kitty Kelly strikes again! Well, that was a very, very, very old quote. It came from way, way back when Charles was just hitting his stride in orgainic and sustainable farming, building up the Duchy of Cornwall and his estate, Highgrove as a template.

During an interview when the topic of his "gardening" was patronisingly raised, he replied very seriously that he spoke to his cabbages to make them happy and grow, or words to that effect. He was also taking the p*** and it went right over the journo's head.

Unfortunately it took on a life of it's own andhas been raised quite frequently in different situaltions. Charles still chooses to laugh at himself rather than bite when it is raised.

Catty Kitty Kelly was and is, needless to say, frugal with the truth. And for her style of writing it is hardly surprising. She never ever let's the truth get in the way of a good "story".

I truely believe CyrilVladisla, that a new, up to date and preferably creditable reference source might be in order.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When I think of the BRF and the fine arts, the first person that comes to my mind is Charles. Charles loves classical music and opera too if I'm not mistaken. He's also a very fine watercolor artist and some of his work is simply amazing. It was Charles who working in collaboration with Kate to select the musical pieces that were used at the Cambridge's wedding.

Somewhere here on these forums is also a watercolor that was painted by the DoE of the family at the breakfast table.
I knew
I knew about charles artwork and admire them. I just never knew about abdrew and the ballet. Unfortunaly the media tends to give the impression that the royals are all 'horsey' without any culture. Part of the mockery that occurs from sections of the media is to make them look like clods.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Majesty

King Juan Carlos: 'I don't want my son to grow old waiting like Prince Charles'-
King Juan Carlos: 'I don't want my son to grow old waiting like Prince Charles' - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Courtier

One change under the monarchy will be the flowers at Sandringham.

I don't think King Charles will be collecting the flowers.
(Kate & Camilla will still pick up some and maybe other female members but I very much doubt Charles will be standing at the door receiving flowers.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Majesty

The flowers will go to the women of course so it will be Camilla as Charles' wife and consort who will be receiving the flowers and then Kate and then George's wife etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
King Juan Carlos: 'I don't want my son to grow old waiting like Prince Charles'-
King Juan Carlos: 'I don't want my son to grow old waiting like Prince Charles' - Telegraph
Dman, It was interesting to learn that King Juan Carlos had been considering the decision to abdicate since his birthday in 2013.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Nobility

Brits Want Camilla as Queen Consort if Prince Charles Succeeds Queen Elizabeth

Most Britains support Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, becoming queen consort if her husband Prince Charles succeeds his mother, Queen Elizabeth, to the throne.

A poll by YouGov found most people favour Camilla assuming the official title rather than take on a lesser title like Princess Diana did when she became the Princess of Wales.

The survey revealed 53 percent of respondents want the duchess to take on the traditional role while 32 percent prefer she takes a lesser one, "out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales".
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Brits Want Camilla as Queen Consort if Prince Charles Succeeds Queen Elizabeth

Most Britains support Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, becoming queen consort if her husband Prince Charles succeeds his mother, Queen Elizabeth, to the throne.

A poll by YouGov found most people favour Camilla assuming the official title rather than take on a lesser title like Princess Diana did when she became the Princess of Wales.

The survey revealed 53 percent of respondents want the duchess to take on the traditional role while 32 percent prefer she takes a lesser one, "out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales".
Sounds pretty sensible. After all, has the wife of the King not always been the Queen?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Majesty

I think it's perfectly fine if Camilla becomes HRH The Princess Consort or Her Majesty The Queen upon Charles's succession.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Just curious here. What lesser title did Diana take when she became Princess of Wales? To my knowledge she always used The Princess of Wales.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just curious here. What lesser title did Diana take when she became Princess of Wales? To my knowledge she always used The Princess of Wales.
IT means that Camilla should take a lesser title out of deference to Diana.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Courtier

Diana never had the title. Her Majesty The Queen.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

precisely. Royal titles do not belong to individual royals.

I'm looking forward to Catherine being Duchess of Cornwall. That will confuse lots of people!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Courtier

There is NO provision in British law for Camilla to take a lesser title. A married woman takes the rank and style of her husband. {for the wife of a King, that style is Queen.}

It would require Parliament to pass legislation to change this ancient law and that would necessarily affect the position of ALL married women [if ithe legislation was restricted to Camilla only it would undoubtedly be challenged under the Human rights act.]

Unless the new law is passed by Parliament before the present Queens demise it would mean demoting and publicly humiliating the new Kings wife during the period of intense mourning following the Queens death.

I cannot conceive of a government [of any colour] that would dare attempt such an insult to the Prince of Wales, and to the Royal Family.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v