The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Rank has its privileges. It is a fact of life. Their father was son of a Queen. Ours was not. They have born social standings which we do not. They must live in a "gold fish bowl" all their lives which we do not. They certainly should have many more doors open to them because of this birth. Newspaper follow their every move and print daily about it. Media certainly don't care a bit about ours. Also a fact. But, then, more is expected of them by the public. Definitely not of you or me. Two sides to every coin. We shouldn't covet their lives as it might not be as great as it seems to be born into Royalty.
Who said anything about coveting their life, I certainly don't. My statement was simple, if you have privileges because of who you were born to, then you have responsibilities to take on. I don't have a problem with wealth, inherited or not, but being in such a position means that you have a responsibility to those who don't. If you don't use your position to help others, if you are just slumming round all day enjoying the privileges then you are nothing more than a parasite. Perfect examples would the jet setters type people People born into royal families have even more of a responsibility because they have privalages because of an anachronistic system, that frankly in a modern democracy shouldn't exist.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Beatrice and Eugenie have, of course, taken on a number of patronages but when they attend events as the patron of those organisations they don't get credit in the CC and so they aren't doing royal duties but they are still doing the same sort of things anyway e.g. this coming week Eugenie will be opening the new Children's High Dependency Wing at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital - of which she is also the patron - but that won't, in all likelihood, be an official royal engagement that gets a mention in the CC. If it was Kate doing the opening, or Sophie, or Camilla etc it would be an official engagement but when done by one of the York girls it isn't.

Ex-patient Princess Eugenie to open children's unit at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore - Get West London

Last year when the girls went to Berlin, at the behest of the government, they weren't there officially according to the CC either.

Go back to the winter Olympics - Kate presented medals - official recognition in the CC but Eugenie also presented medals and no official recognition.

The girls are doing the royal charity stuff but aren't getting recognised in the CC.

So they are using their position - as they should use it - but aren't getting the official recognition from their grandmother. She may be congratulating them privately but not officially recognising their efforts.

Beatrice is actively involved in a number of charities in a range of roles:

1. Global Ambassador for Children in Crisis,
2. A co-founder of The Big Change Charitable Trust, as well as
3. Patron of York Musical Society,
4. Patron of York Theatre Royal,
5. Patron of The Sick Kids Friends Foundation,
6. Patron of Forget Me Not Children's Hospice,
7. Patron of Bromwood African Education Foundation,
8. Ambassador to the Teenage Cancer Trust and
9. Patron of the Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre

Eugenie has:

1. Patron of the Orthopaedic Hospital's Redevelopment Appeal
2. Ambassador of the Teenage Cancer Trust
3. Member of the Committee of the Young Marlburian Foundation

On top of that they both have full-time jobs - Eugenie in New York and Beatrice with Sony in London (currently doing an internship).

Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Who said anything about coveting their life, I certainly don't. My statement was simple, if you have privileges because of who you were born to, then you have responsibilities to take on. I don't have a problem with wealth, inherited or not, but being in such a position means that you have a responsibility to those who don't. If you don't use your position to help others, if you are just slumming round all day enjoying the privileges then you are nothing more than a parasite. Perfect examples would the jet setters type people People born into royal families have even more of a responsibility because they have privalages because of an anachronistic system, that frankly in a modern democracy shouldn't exist.
I find the use of the word "parasite" offensive, especially when referring to people who are simply spending their own money. I don't even like the term "parasite" when people refer to healthy adults who receive government assistance.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are transitioning from college into the workforce. In addition to holding several jobs and internships, both women have been involved in charitable causes. The bottom line is that the princesses do not receive taxpayer funds, they are not violating any laws, and they seem like decent human beings.

Prince Charles will probably not be utilizing them as full-time royals, but the whole family seems to be dedicated to doing some sort of public service, whether it is representing the UK during personal appearances, serving in the military or performing charitable work. As others have noted, when Prince Edward and Sophie tried to work at regular jobs, they came under withering criticism. I think it will be easier for Beatrice and Eugenie because they will not be part of Charles's immediate family. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

But, no, I don't think you can call another human being a parasite because they have decided to enjoy their wealth. As long as it isn't costing me anything, I don't think it is my business.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
...I don't think you can call another human being a parasite because they have decided to enjoy their wealth. As long as it isn't costing me anything, I don't think it is my business.
You've got my vote. I also think that once a point of view is personalised, it loses impact.

The Yorks dont have to work if they dont want to (but they do); they dont have to have patronages (but they have); they dont have to support HMQ or the Government (but when asked, they do).

What on earth is there to complain about.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
I don't have a problem with wealth, inherited or not, but being in such a position means that you have a responsibility to those who don't. If you don't use your position to help others, if you are just slumming round all day enjoying the privileges then you are nothing more than a parasite.
Then the exact same could be said for William, Catherine and Henry at the minute. They do very little with their position and aren't and won't be full time members of the family for some time. Are they parasites as well?

The point you seem to be missing is Beatrice and Eugenie do use their positiont to help others and they aren't slumming around enjoying the priveliges. You just have to look at the two sets of current events thread to see that. They're not going to be doing 200 engagements a month, they're not required to do so and if they were The Queen would ask them. Seeing as she hasn't even asked the second in line to the throne and his wife to make more of an appearance to themselves she doesn't seem to be too bothered by Beatrice and Euegnie enjoying some form of private life.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Serene Highness

A write-up mentioned:

King Charles III could well be presented with a kingdom bristling at inherited privilege, of which the monarchy stands out as a prime example.
To ensure that the throne lasts long enough to pass to his heir, Charles will have to convince his people that the Crown will continue to represent the heritage, the traditions and the finest values of Britain.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:36 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO, the extract from the write-up could hardly be considered thought provoking, deep of well thought through in any way!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
IMO, the extract from the write-up could hardly be considered thought provoking, deep of well thought through in any way!
IMO, it is thought provoking. The monarchy is definitely a prime example of inherited privilege. The article immediately had me thinking about whether, in a society that is very different from the one in which HM had her coronation, the crown represents the heritage, the traditions and the finest values of Britain, whether it can continue to do so, and, if so, how Charles can convince the people of that.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Majesty

So could King Charles III be deposed by a scheming Kate? Box office mischief, certainly. But a controversial new play gives food for thought | Mail Online

Seems that the theatre are starting to think about the Monarchy Under Charles.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

God knows how that ever got out of the rubbish bin.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness

In a television interview which Princess Diana had on November 20, 1995, in The Royals, Kitty Kelley wrote:

She (Princess Diana) was asked whether she thought her husband would ever be King.
Diana replied: I would think that the top job, as I call it, would bring enormous limitations to him, and I don't know whether he could adapt."
Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

It is best to remember that Kitty Kelly is a writer noted for unofficial "biographies" with little access to her victim's private lives or their friends or even to those who work with them. When it comes to the BRF I think she had more “according to a former equerry” or “recalled a friend” etc. than there ever were equerries or friends.

Her style is classic soap opera, scandal and skuldugerry. Her sources often come straight from the scandal rags of the time and let's face it, that is hardly a credible reference. Basically she is a legend in her own lunchtime and held in contempt by both her victims and serious readers.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Courtier

now that is the most perfect comment about KK this is how I picture her trying to get another 15 minutes of fame for she doesn't want the world to forget how very important she is(in her eyes only I say)
....this is for you , I so loved your comment!
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Majesty

It must be noted however that in this case KK is actually quoting Diana's own words from the Panorama interview so while KK does lack credibility in many of her assertions she is correct in this one - Diana did call into question Charles' ability to do the job of being King.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Nobility

I watched that interview again recently and found it quite interesting to hear what Diana really did say.
As I understood her, she did not question Charles' ability to be a King, but rather whether he would feel himself constrained, limited, by the role.
Here is the transcript: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/po.../panorama.html
Old 06-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Nobility

My point exactly. It is annoying when people are misquoted, especially when the quote is on video and made public.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
A write-up mentioned:
King Charles III could well be presented with a kingdom bristling at inherited privilege, of which the monarchy stands out as a prime example.
To ensure that the throne lasts long enough to pass to his heir, Charles will have to convince his people that the Crown will continue to represent the heritage, the traditions and the finest values of Britain.
Could you supply the source of the cited wite-up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
I watched that interview again recently and found it quite interesting to hear what Diana really did say.
Let's not disect the interview yet again. I think everyone is very aware of what the transcript of the Panorama interview says and what was not said, and how the whole interview played out on film.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness

Here is my view:

Reign will be short. He will try to step into government affairs. The only other royals in that family who will count will be his 2 sons, grandson, daughter-in-law. Everyone else will be sent off into space..so to speak..never to be heard from again.

I am going to get grief for this, but I have said it before, Charles, in his mind and words, is a victim, blaming his childhood, his parents, for what he never had. While I am sure he loves his parents, he is itching to get his hands on the crown and ensure he and Camilla are at center stage.

For anyone with a half a brain, the title Princess Consort in 2005 was nothing more than to admonish people from complaining and whining. Legally speaking, from the moment she was married, she was the female part to all his titles, and will be Queen, unless Parliament passes a law saying otherwise. Please, your conspiracy theories, your "but the internet says this", your personal rather than accurately and thoroughly researched views on what her title will be that fills 30,000 pages on here.

I do not know these people personally. I only go by what comes out of Charles's mouth, the book he assisted with in the 1990's, and his interview. That is why I am making the statements I am.

The balcony in 2012 was VERY telling. The Charles version of the monarchy. No, I could care less what anyone says. I am sure Prince Philip would have made sure the entire family would have been there too.

So...ladies and gents... lay into me for commenting. :-)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a fair assessment of the situation.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I do not know these people personally. I only go by what comes out of Charles's mouth, the book he assisted with in the 1990's, and his interview. That is why I am making the statements I am.

The balcony in 2012 was VERY telling. The Charles version of the monarchy. No, I could care less what anyone says. I am sure Prince Philip would have made sure the entire family would have been there too.

So...ladies and gents... lay into me for commenting. :-)
I think Charles of the 90s is quite a different man than the Charles we see now. When one has negative things happening in their lives (as Charles did in the 90s), very often it does impact them physically, emotionally and spiritually. I think the documentary that Charles made in honor of his mother's diamond jubilee was very telling into the sentimentality that Charles feels for his family.
He is quite obviously a man happy in his own skin, more confident and is more than ready to do anything HM asks of him gladly.

I think Charles will be a very "hands on" King but any political opinions and views will not be made public. He certainly can and will advise the Prime Minister on affairs and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a venue where he'll be very outspoken and express very clearly his views. He would have made a very fine statesman or politician if his destiny wasn't the throne IMO.

Of course the main focus of the royal family will be on Charles' immediate family but I certainly don't see him tossing anyone to the curb. Gradually, as time passes, the world will look on the Yorks and the Wessexes and the other cousins such as we now look at the Glouchesters and the Kents. Its just the way things go. Other than Charles' sons, none of the Queen's other grandchildren are slated to work for the Firm and other than the York girls, none of them hold or use royal titles. It's not the way Charles wants it but the way the Firm has decided it will go and HM and the DoE are very much still involved in that decision making process.

Tags
british, camilla, charles of wales, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, titles