The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
I;m glad that you mentioned this because everyone seems to assume that the Queen will live for ages but not Charles. I've never understood their assumption as Charles has every liklihood of living into his 90s, especially as modern medicine has improved greatly since the Georges and Edwatds.
The fact is that medical science hasn't reached the point yet of being able to tell what diseases or disabilities are imprinted on an individual's DNA lifeline, or however we say it. Life is full of randomness, even once we know what our medical profiles are, so the true likelihood is that nothing will ever be advanced to the point of guaranteeing a long life. You can only improve the odds. So to say "every likelihood" is just as much as an assumption about the future as anything else.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

I understand your point, Elspeth, but IMO the word 'hate' is often attributed to those who perhaps simply don't 'respect' some of Charles' choices in life. Personally, I don't hate the man and I recognize that he has been forward-thinking in many respects. I just think some of his actions have harmed the monarchy. I don't think he has exemplified the level of self-sacrifice that HM has.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
For many who remember the 80's/90's, as time has gone by, they realise that they were being misled by the media. Many more were never taken in by the lies, so it is unfair, IMO, to say that's the thing she will be remembered for by most. Some of those that blamed Camilla for the breakup of Charles' marriage, have had a chance to experience live for themselves and realised that things are not always as clear as they thought.
I agree with you 100% in this fact. I did not like Camilla before, because I considered her a homewrecker, but when I read into the situation I saw that it was indeed misled by the media, and there were many other facts I had not considered as well (i.e. Diana's affairs). I've come to realize that Camilla really is a good person, and to me, her legacy will be based on much more than what happened twenty or thirty years ago.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I agree with you 100% in this fact. I did not like Camilla before, because I considered her a homewrecker, but when I read into the situation I saw that it was indeed misled by the media, and there were many other facts I had not considered as well (i.e. Diana's affairs). I've come to realize that Camilla really is a good person, and to me, her legacy will be based on much more than what happened twenty or thirty years ago.
By chance, did you check the chronological order of the events involved before you came to this conclusion? Just wondering...
Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Camilla´s legacy will be made in the years when she will be Queen...
I respectfully disagree. A person's legacy does not start when they are 60+. It's a combination of what they have done and accomplished throughout their lives. To state that her legacy will be made when (if) she is Queen, seems to suggest that anything prior to that is insignificant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
...it was during the Panaorama interview that she was brought into the marriage debacle...
I believe Charles mentioned the subject in the Dimbleby interview in 1994.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

And Morton certainly made very, very strong suggestions in the direction that Camilla was Charles' mistress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
I believe Charles mentioned the subject in the Dimbleby interview in 1994.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
And Morton certainly made very, very strong suggestions in the direction that Camilla was Charles' mistress.
Okay, agreed. But does the time and place of the revelation change the facts in any way?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Courtier

I think that time will certainly change people's opinion of Camilla. My parents thought that Mrs. Simpson was awful and destroyed Edward VIII and almost the crown -- my children think that Edward VIII was wonderful and mentality superior to take love over job he never really wanted just because he was born into that family -- me, I don't care either way.

Time changes people's opinion of history
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I understand your point, Elspeth, but IMO the word 'hate' is often attributed to those who perhaps simply don't 'respect' some of Charles' choices in life. Personally, I don't hate the man and I recognize that he has been forward-thinking in many respects. I just think some of his actions have harmed the monarchy. I don't think he has exemplified the level of self-sacrifice that HM has.
I really, really agree with you. I like Charles (especially now) but I do believe that he does not project any self-sacrifice -- not that it is his fault, due to his position in life -- but I don't believe that he [seems as] "strong" as his parents. The Queen's morals, character & respect from the entire world are second to none. She will be an almost impossible act to follow.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry but I don't believe that time or place changes anything. What happened happened, and History will not change the facts. Camilla was, and will always be, the mistress. It won't make her 'awful' but it Is a fact. Simple as that.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think anyone is trying to say that her past will change. You're right in that she is what she is, and that is what she'll always be. But there's more to her than that, there's always been more to her than that and when she's Queen (and she will be), there will be more to her then.

Everyone screws up in life, she's no exception. No one should have behaved in this situation the way they did, but they did and that's that. But you can't keep her shackled to that all her life. You have to be willing to say "You've atoned, let's all move on" and get on with it. I think that's what people are saying. Her legacy when she's passed on should not be merely one sentence: "His Majesty's Mistress".
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I see the little debate on Mistress Camilla has erupted again. For those who aren't aware of it, Camilla has been married for three years now. It's very unfortunate to see that this subject is the only some seem to remember of. I hope it's not another attempt to start a CCD fight

TheTruth
British Forum Moderator.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are we really going down this path again?

Time to distract everyone with the new, extra-cute smilie:
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Aristocracy

Camilla's legacy is not set in stone. I dislike the idea that she is going to be remembered as the mistress or the wife. Human beings are so complex I hate it when people put others in a box. The wife, the mistress, etc etc. She had had her good moments and her bad ones. Poor judgment and good judgment. No one is just one thing. Her legacy, for those that value the complexity of human life and experience will view her as many things and not just one thing or one period in her life. :)
Old 07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles has done more than just marry two women-and some individuals believe that the extent of his legacy is tied up to just those two events then I truly feel sorry for those persons. Let's look at Charles' legacy for a moment--he has founded about 16 charities--THe Prince's Trust, for example. He is patron of hundreds of charities--and he is dedicated to becoming environmentally responsible. I truly believe his efforts will one day garner him a Nobel nomination, if not prize. I think we should look at that.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I understand your point, Elspeth, but IMO the word 'hate' is often attributed to those who perhaps simply don't 'respect' some of Charles' choices in life.
While that's true, I was talking about the people who come to this forum (to say nothing about going to other forums and blogs where such things are treated more leniently than they are here) to salivate about the prospect of Charles dying before his mother, preferably in as painful a way as possible. Believe me, I know the difference between lack of respect and virulent hatred, and I've seen virulent hatred directed toward Charles.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Prince Charles has done more than just marry two women-and some individuals believe that the extent of his legacy is tied up to just those two events then I truly feel sorry for those persons. Let's look at Charles' legacy for a moment--he has founded about 16 charities--THe Prince's Trust, for example. He is patron of hundreds of charities--and he is dedicated to becoming environmentally responsible. I truly believe his efforts will one day garner him a Nobel nomination, if not prize. I think we should look at that.

Welll he should have done more than just marry two women having lived to sixty odd years and had plenty of time on his hands to do other things. What he's done as Prince of Wales over a many years is a different matter than what he might do as King which is a different topic entirely. Just the Nobel Prize? Not a request to the Pope for canonization?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not if he wants to stay King....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Good idea.

I don't think it's a matter of luck. His legacy as king will largely if not entirely begin and end with his reign. His overall legacy is a different matter, but that isn't the topic of this thread.

I never said it was "a matter of luck". I said she was luck-y that anyone was willing still to withhold judgment about the legacy of his reign until it actually begins. One would expect him to be involved with charities and causes all these years because that's just about mandatory that heirs to thrones spend much of their time prominent in those things Especially and exactly because he didn't want a comparison drawn between himself and Edward VII as Prince of Wales. I wasn't the one trying to discuss his overall legacy nor his legacy as Prince of Wales. The rest of what you have to say in this post has nothing at all to do with what I was talking about. so I won't answer it. And I've read plenty of boards too, so I know what the truth is.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
Men don't live as long as women do, on average.
True but why?

Historically it is because of wars killing them at younger ages, along with the type of work they did.

For most women, childbirth and disease were the main reasons for early deaths whereas men had to face other dangers thus resulting in a shorter life expectancy. Once a woman passed her childbearing years her chances of a long life increased markedly throughout history. Men, however, didn't stop doing the things that killed them in their mid-late 40s and therefore still had a higher chance of dying younger than woman.

Even today more men die in car and work related accidents and other 'dangerous' activities resulting in lower life expectancy than women.

Average life expectancy is based on the whole population not on individual cases and Charles is no longer doing the more dangerous aspects of his life e.g. the 'action' man activities of his youth. As a result his healthy diet and lifestyle are increasing his chances of living to a very old age.

His genes point that way as well - both parents are in their 80s so there is a very good chance that Charles will also live as long as his mother and even longer.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
The fact is that medical science hasn't reached the point yet of being able to tell what diseases or disabilities are imprinted on an individual's DNA lifeline, or however we say it. Life is full of randomness, even once we know what our medical profiles are, so the true likelihood is that nothing will ever be advanced to the point of guaranteeing a long life. You can only improve the odds. So to say "every likelihood" is just as much as an assumption about the future as anything else.
Charles is increasing the likelihood though through his healthy lifestyle.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v