The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Charles may go to a pay per appearance system, but I don't think he will mess with the titles.
I don't understand what " pay per appearance" means. Royals don't receive any payment for their job. The queen only cover their working expenses.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen Mother was still attending luncheons and receptions as well as receiving a variety of people.

The Queen will still be expected to read her boxes, meet weekly with the PM (there are c 50 of my 150 engagements by the way), attend 12 council meetings a year - up to 62, attend Garter, Trooping, Thistle and Ascot (another 5 - allowing her to only go to Ascot 2 times rather than 5 now) and Epsom plus receiving in audience - meet, shake hands with and small talk for about 10 minutes at a time - 50 ambassadors/high commissioners and we are at 120 or so quite easily.

This is NOT having her go outside BP for the most part but have the people come to her and if she can't do that then she will have to abdicate as only she can do this stuff and it is really the important part of her job.

Attending Garden Parties in BP or Receptions and Luncheons is also possible - and could easily add another 20 - 30 with again not actually leaving home.
If the Queen can't do her duties, she isn't going to abdicate but Charles would act as regent. She is an anointed monarch and to her that means dying as the monarch.

As time goes on, the Kents and Gloucester will stop royal duties either by illness, death or retirement. It will then be. The monarch Charles , his direct family and his brothers and sister as the working royals. The same thing for William, his children and his brother.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
There may be 14 overseas territories but 3 of them have no permanent population and Pitcairn has never had a royal visit.
So that knocks the list down to 11 overseas territories compared to the 2 Denmark has. Would you like me to clarify anything else I've written?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If the Queen can't do her duties, she isn't going to abdicate but Charles would act as regent. She is an anointed monarch and to her that means dying as the monarch. .
Yes, but if The Queen can't do any of the duties she's supposed to I can quite easily see her abdicating in favour of her son who can serve his country. The Queen might see herself dying as monarch but I believe she understands what "Serving her country" means and if she's incapable of doing that, then why stay Monarch?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Nobility

A genuine question to those who support a large family of royals carrying out royal duties: When the Queen and DofE have gone, would you then like to see Beatrice and Eugenie wheeled out, perhaps even Prince and Princess Michael to become full time royals to share the workload?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
A genuine question to those who support a large family of royals carrying out royal duties: When the Queen and DofE have gone, would you then like to see Beatrice and Eugenie wheeled out, perhaps even Prince and Princess Michael to become full time royals to share the workload?
Personally I would like to see that happen but only because I'm rather fond of Prince and Princess Michael.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

If Beatrice and Eugenie choose to join "The Firm" either full or part time (personally I don't think you can be a part time royal and do something else) and are comfortable with what they're going to take on, then I have no issues with that. The more representation the royal family gets the better as far as I'm concerned.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent aren't going to become full time royals, they're not even part time royals now. They get no mention in the Court Circular nor in the Search Future Engagements section of the BRF website.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The more representation the royal family gets the better as far as I'm concerned.
I absolutely agree - they represent [and help to further] a longer term vision in our country, unfettered by '5 year election plans'.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If Beatrice and Eugenie choose to join "The Firm" either full or part time (personally I don't think you can be a part time royal and do something else) and are comfortable with what they're going to take on, then I have no issues with that. The more representation the royal family gets the better as far as I'm concerned.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent aren't going to become full time royals, they're not even part time royals now. They get no mention in the Court Circular nor in the Search Future Engagements section of the BRF website.
Royals who are married to Catholics are set to rejoin the line of succession so they will be eligible to become working royals, although i don't know how they would feel about this change.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Royals who are married to Catholics are set to rejoin the line of succession so they will be eligible to become working royals, although i don't know how they would feel about this change.
But Prince Michael wasn't a working Royal before his marriage so the religious issues have nothing at all to do with his status.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
In the future, I do see Beatrice and Eugenie doing their royal duties but as they are now. Their own personal charities and patronages that they've chosen because they want to and not because they're working for the "Firm". Just because they won't be "full time working royals" doesn't necessarily mean that these girls cannot or will not do charity work. We have to remember too that these two women have yet to marry and start their family if that's what they want to do. These two also have the freedom to pursue whatever career they want to also. Out of all the royals, I think Beatrice and Eugenie have the best of both worlds.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I wasn't aware that being married to a roman catholic prevented you from being a working royal, oops because it doesn't! Check out Prince Michael's diary.....http://www.princemichael.org.uk/diary/archive/.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I wasn't aware that being married to a roman catholic prevented you from being a working royal, oops because it doesn't! Check out Prince Michael's diary.....His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent: Diary Archive.
No but he wasn't eligible for civil list payments after marriage so wouldn't have received payment for carrying out royal engagements so had to make his own living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
But Prince Michael wasn't a working Royal before his marriage so the religious issues have nothing at all to do with his status.
Aah but Anne, Edward and Andrew weren't working royals until marriage either, so we don't know that Michael wouldn't have also become a working royal if he had married a non-Catholic.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Michael isn't a working royal by his own choice, not because he's not "eligible" due to his exclusion from the line of succession.

As the younger son of a younger son of the monarch, Michael was never expected to take up royal duties and instead pursued his own career (in the military). Similarly, the Duke of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra wouldn't have normally been expected to take up royal duties, and both did pursue other career options (architecture and nursing, respectively), before life happened.

The Duke of Gloucester was the younger son of a younger son and only became expected to be a full time royal when first his elder brother, then his father died in the early 70s.

Alexandra was enlisted into royal duties following the death of King George VI, as there were so few royals who could undertake duties at the time. It's for this reason that I wouldn't be surprised if, at least during William's reign, Beatrice ended up taking up royal duties. By then, all of the royals who currently do full time engagements now will either be dead or retiring, while there likely won't have been a large increase in the number of royals to compensate.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Courtier

I think Princess Beatrice is much more willing than Princess Eugenie to become a working royal. I think at least one of them will be necessary for the Firm in due time.

One day, someone will needed to "replace" Princess Alexandra, and I think Princess Beatrice is the most indicated to do that.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Aah but Anne, Edward and Andrew weren't working royals until marriage either, so we don't know that Michael wouldn't have also become a working royal if he had married a non-Catholic.
Did Anne, Andrew and Edward not perform Royal duties before marriage? Edward only married in 1999 so he was doing royal duties long before that. He had his own business, yes, but that wasn't until the 90's.

In answer to another posters question earlier - I do not want to see Beatrice and Eugenie become working Royals. I think they deserve to have their own life and create their own paths in life, the way Louise and James are going to do, and the way Peter and Zara have.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just for everyone's information what are the ages of the current working royals?

The Queen - 87 - (88 next month)
The Duke of Edinburgh - 92
The Prince of Wales - 65
The Duchess of Cornwall - 66
The Duke of Cambridge - 30
The Duchess of Cambridge - 31
Prince Henry - 28
The Duke of York - 54
The Earl of Wessex - 50
The Countess of Wessex - 49
The Princess Royal - 63
The Duke of Gloucester - 69
The Duchess of Gloucester - 68
The Duke of Kent - 78
Princess Alexandra - 77

The reason why I have done this is that I think there are people who assume that the Gloucester's are of similar ages to the Queen and the Kent's when in fact they are far closer to Charles and Camilla's ages than to their own generation so they will be around for as long as Charles and Camilla in all likelihood.

There are currently

90s - 1
80s - 1
70s - 2
60s - 5
50s - 2
40s - 1
30s - 2
20s - 1

It is therefore clear that the number of royals carrying out duties will clearly drop over time if there are no additions to those currently listed when doing solo engagements.

Michael, Beatrice and Eugenie are listed in the CC when they accompany someone or represent one of the above e.g. early this month Beatrice represented her father at a funeral and also accompanied him to the service for David Frost but she doesn't get a mention when she carries out charity work.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
One day, someone will needed to "replace" Princess Alexandra, and I think Princess Beatrice is the most indicated to do that.
Perhaps we've been focusing too much on who is doing the workload and not the workload itself. It may very well be possible that it will be the workload itself that will be changing rather than the list of who is a full time working royal.

Just a thought.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Did Anne, Andrew and Edward not perform Royal duties before marriage? Edward only married in 1999 so he was doing royal duties long before that. He had his own business, yes, but that wasn't until the 90's.

In answer to another posters question earlier - I do not want to see Beatrice and Eugenie become working Royals. I think they deserve to have their own life and create their own paths in life, the way Louise and James are going to do, and the way Peter and Zara have.
It wont be exactly the same for young James - in time he will become Duke of Edinburgh and will carry the history that goes with it; and I think he will to be a Trustee at least of the DoE scheme in whatever guise it is at the time.

The same applies to many of the patronages that the "working royals" currently undertake. There is nothing to stop the children of the Kents and Gloucesters, for example, continuing the work of their parents. It just would not be a royal patronage.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post
It wont be exactly the same for young James - in time he will become Duke of Edinburgh and will carry the history that goes with it; and I think he will to be a Trustee at least of the DoE scheme in whatever guise it is at the time.
That's true actually - I had forgotten about that title eventually going to James. He will of course have a small public life when he is representing this organisation. I suppose he will feel obliged to actually do his DoE award because of his future title.

Anywho, back on topic.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
No but he wasn't eligible for civil list payments after marriage so wouldn't have received payment for carrying out royal engagements so had to make his own living.
Prince Michael carries out engagements on behalf of The Queen, therefore he is a working royal. Payment or no payment, married to a catholic or not, he is a working royal.

Quote:

Your point is mute, there is no eligibility for royal engagements based upon the faith of the person you marry as evident by Prince Michael carrying out engagements.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v