The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Majesty

That will happen anyway - it is the circle of life. Even now there is far more coverage of any engagement involving the younger royals than those of The Queen's generation or Charles except for The Queen and Philip and Charles and Camilla.

Based on press coverage most people would assume that Andrew and Edward don't do anything at all and yet they are amongst the top 5 workers in the family but there is virtually no coverage of what they do.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That will happen anyway - it is the circle of life. Even now there is far more coverage of any engagement involving the younger royals than those of The Queen's generation or Charles except for The Queen and Philip and Charles and Camilla.

Based on press coverage most people would assume that Andrew and Edward don't do anything at all and yet they are amongst the top 5 workers in the family but there is virtually no coverage of what they do.
I think the coverage should be focused on the younger members of the royal family, as the older generation had they're time in the sun during the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

I think although the older royals don't receive much coverage on their royal duties, they'r work still remain effective.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Majesty

But other than The Queen - who is the monarch, her consort, her heir and his wife the concentration is on William, Kate and Harry.

The reason there isn't much at the moment is that they aren't doing much - 11 between them so far this year so there isn't much to cover. That works out at about 3% of the total so far this year of the total engagements that have been done. If they were doing engagements there would be coverage but the press can't provide cover when the people aren't doing things on which to report.

Last year they did a total of 4.5% of the total engagements of the royal family but their coverage of those engagements was way more than 4.5% of the coverage because they are the ones that sell papers and so are the ones on which there are reports when they actually do something.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:35 AM
Majesty

There's the argument-the younger royals should be doing more.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 AM
Majesty

Harry is a full-time officer in the army so he has an excuse for not doing more and that will remain that way probably for the next decade or so.

William will start stepping up more this year and Kate well that will depend on when she has her next child as she won't really be doing a full load until they are at school no doubt - so another decade or so for her as well as Harry.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There's the argument-the younger royals should be doing more.

I don't think that's what Bertie was trying to say at all - at least not here.

Your argument seems to essentially be that there isn't enough focus on the younger royals and too much focus on the older ones.

This ignores the fact that the younger royals - William, Kate, and Harry - get by far the most coverage. Look at just these forums. Kate's current events has gathered 212 posts since January, William's has 98 in the same time span. Anne's has 14 in that time span, the entire Wessex family has 88.

Camilla's current events goes back to October and has 71 posts. Charles has 162 since April, Harry's has 331 in that time span. Andrew has had the same thread since 2011.

Yet you think that the older generation gets more coverage?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Serene Highness

I think we are forgetting the title of this thread - the Monarchy under Charles, it isn't the Monarchy now. What William and Kate are doing this year, is not what they will be doing when Charles is King. William will the heir apparent, Duke of Cornwall and be named Prince of Wales. He and his wife will be full time royals, doing multiple foreign visits a year and attending incoming state visits. All stuff Charles is doing now.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I think we are forgetting the title of this thread - the Monarchy under Charles, it isn't the Monarchy now. What William and Kate are doing this year, is not what they will be doing when Charles is King. William will the heir apparent, Duke of Cornwall and be named Prince of Wales. He and his wife will be full time royals, doing multiple foreign visits a year and attending incoming state visits. All stuff Charles is doing now.
Although it is most probable, its not automatic that William will be created The Prince of Wales. That will be up to Charles to decide after he becomes King.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, I know that the PoW title is not automatic but everybody who was eligible was eventually named PoW so I am assuming that some time in the reign of his father that William will be named PoW which also assumes that Charles will outlive his mother to actually become King.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I do agree with your opinion. This thread is about the future, not what is going on right now. We also must remember that the overall public's opinion about the Royals in general might greatly differ from us on this forum. Not everyone cares about the "fringe" Royals like we do. Many would rather see sports figures or entertainers do openings or sponsor charities. They would rather have the Royals, other than Queen, Charles and William, in background obtaining money from their friends for charities, but not have to see them. This is something I am sure Charles knows and will address as King. No matter what we say or want, things will change. We have let the bias media form our opinions. I don't believe the future generation will stand for that. Social medias put all in spotlight 24/7. This is now a fact of life.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The discussion was widened to include who else would be doing engagements when Charles is King and that lead to a discussion about cutting down and how drastically that cut down would be. However, to ascertain the need for a particular number of type of royals necessitated a discussion of the current situation to see if the idea of a cut-down monarchy when Charles is King is even feasible. That is why the thread strayed into the current situation - so that an analysis and some speculation could take place about The Monarchy under Charles. Otherwise the thread can have no real basis if we can't look at the situation now to discuss how that might/will change under Charles.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess it's just a case of "time will tell", but I really do not see Beatrice and Eugenie doing any work for Charles when he is King. If they do then Louise and James would have to take up their HRH styles and do some engagements too, so all the charities that their parents and aunts and uncles have been connected to still retain a Royal patron.

I think many charities will lose their royal patrons sadly as we all know there wont be a Princess Louise and Prince James in the future, nor will we see Beatrice and Eugenie carrying out engagements funded by Charles. They may choose to do some of their own work, which is fine, but I should think that will be it.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Even if Beatrice and/or Eugenie take on royal duties there is no need to assume that that would impact on Louise and James. After Prince Michael of Kent - doesn't do royal duties and he is equally a son of the third son of a monarch.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can't see Louise or James ever carrying out engagements as I think they're being raised more in line with how the Phillips or Armstrong-Jones children were raised - descended of royalty, yes, but not royals themselves. As such they're not likely to ever do anything more than events where the whole family comes out. I could see James one day being poised to take over the Duke of Edinburgh Award stuff, but that's because if the Dukedom is recreated as is expected then James will one day be the Duke.

Beatrice and Eugenie are another matter. They were raised differently than their younger cousins are now being raised and more likely had the sense that they're expected to fulfill at least some of this lifestyle than the Wessexes. We see this now; while they might not get all the recognition in the CC that William or Harry get, Beatrice certainly seems to have interest in performing royal-esque duties. I wouldn't be surprised if she, and possibly Eugenie, ended up fulfilling roles similar to what the Queen's cousins have fulfilled.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Nobility

I really do think it is time that the Cambridges were doing considerably more work. They are starting to look plain lazy.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I really do think it is time that the Cambridges were doing considerably more work. They are starting to look plain lazy.
William is at Cambridge, so hardly has the time to carry out public engagements. Catherine is still on maternity leave. As you may be aware, in the UK, you are entitled to a year of maternity leave, and increasingly, a lot of professionals do have the time off. I am sure she will gradually increase her engagements when she returns from Australia.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Honestly, I think she will be pregnant again before the year is out. A 2 year age gap is very common.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Honestly, I think she will be pregnant again before the year is out. A 2 year age gap is very common.
And I don't think that is such a bad thing. Given that her primary duty to the crown is to produce an heir and a spare, she will do well to get the child bearing out of the way. For now, there are plenty of other members of the BRF that can take the pressure of public engagements, so, IMO, she should focus on getting the balance right between a public role, and the private one of bearing and rearing the future monarch and his spare.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Nobility

Perhaps when Charles is King, he will summon the Kents and Gloucesters, and quiote likely the Wessexes and Prince Andrew, and tell them they are no longer required and give them notice to vacate the palaces or pay rent. They should be treated in exactly the same way that Princess Beatrice and Eugenie, and also Prince and Princess Michael have been treated. I expect Charles and his family could all manage to live in Windsor Castle and then open up all the other palaces all year round. This is likely to appeal to the public.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Majesty

So you are saying that Charles, Camilla - probably in their 70s or 80s - William, Kate, Harry and wife (assuming he is married) are going to do around 670 engagements each a year (something no one is doing now). You are saying that Charles should be doing more in his 70s than he has ever done before at an age when his mother and father were slowing down.

The Kent's probably won't be around anyway - given that the Duke will be 80 next year and Princess Alexandra the following year but surely you aren't suggesting that people in their 80s who have served the nation and monarchy all their lives should be thrown out of their homes because of a new monarch. Far from appealing to the public I think the public would find that disgraceful behaviour for Charles.

The Gloucester's have also served the nation all their lives so again it would come across as just nasty for Charles to tell them to move out of their home and they certainly couldn't afford the rent as they have never had the chance to earn money from the outside sources that Michael of Kent has had because they have been loyal servants to The Queen and country. If the public supports that idea then they are a very ungrateful public.

As for Charles' siblings - Anne owns Gatcombe, Andrew has a 99 year lease on his home, leaving only Edward and in all likelihood The Queen has made arrangements for his lease there as well. Anne and Andrew have spent their adult lives serving the monarch and nation so again it shows how ungrateful both the public and Charles would be to throw them out of their jobs. Edward also showed how difficult it is for a senior royal (and surely the child of the monarch is a senior royal) to make a genuine living in the real world if not in the military.

Beatrice and Eugenie - I can see them not being wanted and moving out of St James' when they marry of course.

I do think that the big royal family events will be limited to Charles, his family, his siblings and their spouses but not children so the Trooping the Colour Balcony would be Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George and any siblings, Harry, his wife but not children (he will afterall only move further from the throne so no need for his children to be there), Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne and Tim - not Beatrice/Eugenie/Louise/James/Peter and family/Zara and family or Margaret's family or the Gloucester's and Kent's etc.

As for all of them living at Windsor - fine - Charles and his sons and their wives under one roof with small children and then, of course their children in time.

BP open to the public more often - great - but no more balcony scenes, no state visits there etc as it takes time to set the palace up for the opening and then to turn it back into the working palace. KP also open to the public more - but what would they see more than the see now?

Would all the staff who work at BP - secretaries etc also have to move to Windsor? Presumably.

Of course Balmoral and Sandringham are different as they are private property and so will remain with the monarch and Highgrove belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall and so can't be sold.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v