The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just 17% want Camilla as Queen, according to the article. Not exactly a clamoring amongst the people!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@MartinRoyalUK: On whether Camilla will be Queen, Palace told me ‘Princess Consort’ still intended. Refused to comment on if it’d be through a change in law

Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What that article conveniently leaves out is how many people were asked.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Courtier

Queen consorts all around Europe and Camilla a mere Princess Consort. Man up Charles.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

As 46 % accept Camilla as a future consort , i would say it's not so bad for the former most hated woman in UK ...
We have come a long way since 1997, and the polls are gradually progressing .
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Majesty

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 2h
On whether Camilla will be Queen, Palace told me ‘Princess Consort’ still intended. Refused to comment on if it’d be through a change in law

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a little ridiculous, isn't it? Camilla is going to be wife of the King and I most certainly think she has proved her worth as a royal in her function as Duchess of Cornwall, why on earth should she be denied the title of Queen Consort?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
It's a little ridiculous, isn't it? Camilla is going to be wife of the King and I most certainly think she has proved her worth as a royal in her function as Duchess of Cornwall, why on earth should she be denied the title of Queen Consort?
I asked Richard Palmer at the Express about this and the response from the palace to him was that this is what she preferred.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Courtier

If this is true, Charles has really lost the plot. Can someone explain this to me. The wife of a King is Queen, why would Charles want the government to mess around with the constitution and invent the title "Princess Consort" because it doesn't exist ?
If Camilla doesn't want to be Queen, why did she marry The Prince of Wales?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Nobility

Because she was in love...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
If this is true, Charles has really lost the plot. Can someone explain this to me. The wife of a King is Queen, why would Charles want the government to mess around with the constitution and invent the title "Princess Consort" because it doesn't exist ?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Majesty

I think if she's going to be crowned Her Majesty The Queen next to Charles, then I so be it. If The Queen, Charles and Camilla agreed to the HRH The Princess Consort title, then I think it should be granted for Camilla to take on that title. No matter what, Camilla will be Charles's Consort and first lady of the land.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h
Queen Camilla? The palace still insists she doesn't want the title and would support legislation making her Princess Consort in future.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It all goes back to when there was the debate/discussion and for some argument about them getting married. Back then she was blamed for all the problems in the War of the Wales (not going to discuss that here); and part of the negative press was "divorced woman can never be Queen". So Charles said at the time, and it is still on the PoW website that she would be called Princess Consort. All this debate about the health/state of HMQ and Charles being closer to being King has started this discussion again.

According to Richard Palmer (Royal REporter at Express - reliable), a few days ago he checked with CH staff and that's what they said.

I agree with you that she married him and the job and therefore will automatically become Queen. I dont think they can pick and choose. I understand that there will be some flack as and when it happens but they will have to live with it.

Unless they do something in advance, they will be taking away her title of Queen. Richard Palmer also said that any legislation (if required) would be just naming her.

Says loud and clear to the public that she is not good enough

Unbelievable.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
It all goes back to when there was the debate/discussion and for some argument about them getting married. Back then she was blamed for all the problems in the War of the Wales (not going to discuss that here); and part of the negative press was "divorced woman can never be Queen". So Charles said at the time, and it is still on the PoW website that she would be called Princess Consort. All this debate about the health/state of HMQ and Charles being closer to being King has started this discussion again.

According to Richard Palmer (Royal REporter at Express - reliable), a few days ago he checked with CH staff and that's what they said.

I agree with you that she married him and the job and therefore will automatically become Queen. I dont think they can pick and choose. I understand that there will be some flack as and when it happens but they will have to live with it.

Unless they do something in advance, they will be taking away her title of Queen. Richard Palmer also said that any legislation (if required) would be just naming her.

Says loud and clear to the public that she is not good enough

Unbelievable.
I think if the "HRH The Princess Consort" title is what they all agreed on, I think it should be granted to Camilla. I think Camilla has proved that she don't need to be recognized by the grand titles to support Charles and carry out her royal role within the Monarchy, just my opinion of course.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 PM
Aristocracy

Morocco has a reigning King and Princess Consort - King Mohammed VI and Princess Lalla Salma. Perhaps the British Royal Family is using their example.

If Camilla wants the title of Princess Consort, it should be legislated prior to Charles' ascension to the throne. Would she be known as HRH Princess Camilla of Great Britian? Or HRH The Princess Consort of Great Britian?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 PM
Gentry

I think they will keep saying that its intended that she'll be Princess Consort until the big day, when she'll become Her Majesty The Queen and will stay as such.

Of course, the diantics will make a fuss, but that's their raison d'être: they are annoying people who are always making a fuss.

Mark my words: Queen Camilla wil go down in history as great a Queen (to everyone who disagrees with this statement, lets talk about that in 50 years time).
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Morocco has a reigning King and Princess Consort - King Mohammed VI and Princess Lalla Salma. Perhaps the British Royal Family is using their example.

If Camilla wants the title of Princess Consort, it should be legislated prior to Charles' ascension to the throne. Would she be known as HRH Princess Camilla of Great Britian? Or HRH The Princess Consort of Great Britian?
It's different. Morroco never had a Queen, there's no tradition. Lalla Salma is the first consort ever to hold a title, as far as I know.

The Duchess of Cornwall not being Queen is an unnecessary and ridiculous break with tradition.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
'Queen Camilla': Is Britain really ready for the Duchess of Cornwall becoming Queen one day? - Telegraph

Is Britain really ready for a 'Queen Camilla'?

Almost two decades after Diana's tragic death, it surely wouldn't be a betrayal of her memory to give the Duchess of Cornwall her own chance to secure a place in the nation's heart, writes Cathy Newman
Sigh, articles such as this simply continue the myth that there were '3 in the marriage,' ignoring the reality that there were @ least 4 in it.
Say what you will, Camilla has been very good for Charles both privately and publicly. I wonder how people would have felt if he had married some much younger model type after the divorce.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I wonder how people would have felt if he had married some much younger model type after the divorce.
They would adore her, just like happened the first time The Prince of Wales married. It's all about this "cult of youth" nonsense.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think if the "HRH The Princess Consort" title is what they all agreed on, I think it should be granted to Camilla. I think Camilla has proved that she don't need to be recognized by the grand titles to support Charles and carry out her royal role within the Monarchy, just my opinion of course.
Unfortunately what she wants really doesn't matter here. As previously stated, Queen Consorts everywhere but the UK, and doesn't that look splendid!

At a time that the eyes of the world will be on the UK and the monarchy they go ahead and score the ultimate own goal, cementing forever the impression that it is controlled by small minded, vindictive people and a gutless government and monarchy.

The coronation would be a travesty showcasing the utter meanness of spirit and humiliation of Camilla, Princess Consort and only Camilla as we are led to believe that Catherine will be William's Queen Consort.

Perhaps it is a portent that the UK is about to ditch the whole "Coronation" concept and follow their European cousins . . . maybe the King will be proclaimed, in much the same way the Danes do, by the Prime Minister from the balcony of Buckingham Palace with King Charles wearing mourning dress.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla will be crowned Queen when Charles ascends the Throne. As well she should be.

I don't care what Richard Palmer, Clarence House etc are saying about it now. Many of these same sources were saying that a Charles-Diana divorce was unthinkable, and later that a Camilla/Charles wedding would never happen, and that the two of them would simply be content to share their lives.

Queen Camilla it will be...count on it.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v