The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Aristocracy

I was wondering whether it would be feasible for Charles (or another future monarch) to use Sandringham as their weekend retreat, instead of Windsor as is currently the case. It is less than 3 hours away and it seems a shame that such a grand estate is used only a handful of times a year.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Feasible possibly but probably won't happen as the main house is open to tourists for most of the year which supplements the running costs of both the Sandringham estate and other royal properties.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Gentry

I feel anything is possible if the want it to happen. They could open up Windsor to the public and make Sandringham the weekend and holiday go to place.

The Duke of Montpelier
Old 12-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Courtier

Windsor Castle is closed to the public! It's something new

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle
Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post
I feel anything is possible if the want it to happen. They could open up Windsor to the public and make Sandringham the weekend and holiday go to place.

The Duke of Montpelier
The State Apartments at Windsor are open to the public most days of the year now. They are closed on days like Garter Day - as they are being used.

Sandringham doesn't have State Apartments so what is open is some of the private rooms e.g. the comfy sitting room, which is one of the first rooms you enter.

Even now when the Queen goes to Sandringham and Balmoral she has to stay elsewhere on occasions as the main homes are open to tourists whereas at Windsor that isn't the case - she can be in her private apartments while tourists traipse all over the State Apartments.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Commoner

The state apartments at Windsor Castle has been open to the public for years already, take a trip it's a wonderful place.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Sandringham and Balmoral are privately owned - open at HMQs discretion

Windsor is owned by the State and is an official residence, the same as Buckingham Palace.

Swapping between is the 2 types is probably not an option.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I was wondering whether it would be feasible for Charles (or another future monarch) to use Sandringham as their weekend retreat, instead of Windsor as is currently the case. It is less than 3 hours away and it seems a shame that such a grand estate is used only a handful of times a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sandringham and Balmoral are privately owned - open at HMQs discretion

Windsor is owned by the State and is an official residence, the same as Buckingham Palace.

Swapping between is the 2 types is probably not an option.

Nothing stops Charles or any future monarch from using Sandringham more often than it currently is.

Actually Sandrigham is used more than a handful of times a year, we are just not aware of its use. In addition to staying for around 6 weeks over Christmas, HM and the DoE often visit for a private weekend.

Charles and Camilla also visit. The times that I am aware of include for the Sandringham Flower Show in the summer, and then again in the autumn when C&C typically host a weekend "for the arts" - typically authors, artists, playwrights etc. Recently C&C entertained Harald and Sonja, the King and Queen of Norway, at Sandringham. There may be other trips during the shooting season as well.

Other family members must visit regularly as well. William and Harry appear to be fond of Sandringham, and the shooting.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Every example is using Sandringham for private visits. Possible exception is Sandringham Flower Show but that's it. I think having their own space, with no interference from outside as to when and how it is used, is something they enjoy.

The other issue is that although the properties look large, they don't have the large rooms that HMQ uses for events at Windsor or Holyrood.

Muddying uses can muddle the costs as well.

And if the revolution ever came, they have their own property - bought and paid for - that they can call their own.

I'd put money on them keeping official and private separate.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Majesty

The other thing to remember is that when they visit during the summer etc they don't stay at the big house but in one of the smaller houses on the estate that isn't being let out because the big house is open to the public. It is open from Easter until early November except for one weekend - which fits in with when the royals use it.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Aristocracy

I would actually like Charles to make all relatives of the monarch living in palaces to pay rent, apart from the monarch and spouse of course.

My reason for this is that the extended family of the head of state shoudl not be housed at public expense.

Many will argue that they are unable to earn a living in their own right if they are royals, but even in the current situation with the Queen as monarch, I see no reason why Charles shouldn't pay rent to live in Clarence House. He can use the Duchy of Cornwall income. Likewise, the Queen pays for the offical expenses of other royals, I don't see why they cannot pay rent out of this.

This would show the public that the royals are not above the rest of us.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I would actually like Charles to make all relatives of the monarch living in palaces to pay rent, apart from the monarch and spouse of course.

My reason for this is that the extended family of the head of state shoudl not be housed at public expense.

Many will argue that they are unable to earn a living in their own right if they are royals, but even in the current situation with the Queen as monarch, I see no reason why Charles shouldn't pay rent to live in Clarence House. He can use the Duchy of Cornwall income. Likewise, the Queen pays for the offical expenses of other royals, I don't see why they cannot pay rent out of this.

This would show the public that the royals are not above the rest of us.
Those at KP do pay rent, although I don't know about the Cambridges and Harry. I once read that Prince Michael of Kent paid £145k for KP. That money does not go to the Queen.

The money the Queen gives the working royals comes from her income from the Duchy of Lancaster and it pays for staff and travel. Point of interest is that it must cover gross pay including pension and NI - this is usually around 20-25% on top of gross salary.

The accommodation in London for working royals such as Anne, Andrew and Wessexes is ad hoc, depending on engagements.

I think that Beatrice and Eugenie should pay rent on their accommodation in SJP - but I dont know if they do or not.

For the Monarch, accommodation does come with the job. As for Charles, had rooms in BP until HMQ died. He spent Duchy money refurbishing Clarence House (internal works).

Re your last point - the royals are not like us

EDIT: According to the DM, Prince Michael was paying £120,000 in 2011. So my recollection may be wrong
The same report said that the Cambridges were not paying for Nottingham Cottage - that it was for when they had work in London and their "permanent home" was still Anglesey.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Courtier

My understanding is that the Queens cousins who live in KP do pay a "peppercorn" rent which is a very small amount each year a couple of thousands). Prince and princess Michael are slightly different as he is not in the line of succession (at present anyway) and does not officially represent the Queen on a day to day basis. Thus the argument came about from the parliaments accounts committee that they were living rent free and unlike the other royals not working for the Queen in lieu of rent. The Queen paid their rent for several years as she felt she had promised them an apartment in the palace, I think in the mind of the Queen and her staff the couple would move to their country house, instead they sold the house in the country and made the palace their main home, as such they had to start paying rent at a more commercial rate.
IMO this should be the rule, those who don't work full time as a royal should pay rent, by this I mean for example, the York princesses, they do not carry out duties listed in the court circular and have their own jobs so should pay rent for the st James' palace apartment, I think the same should have been done when Edward and Sophie were working, they should of paid rent even if they were still in rooms at BP. I think it's fair enough for those full time royals to get a place to stay as that's where their staff and the royal court are based but any others should pay rent.
In the case of Beatrice and eugenie I imagine it was 'justified' on the grounds of security.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
My understanding is that the Queens cousins who live in KP do pay a "peppercorn" rent which is a very small amount each year a couple of thousands). Prince and princess Michael are slightly different as he is not in the line of succession (at present anyway) and does not officially represent the Queen on a day to day basis. Thus the argument came about from the parliaments accounts committee that they were living rent free and unlike the other royals not working for the Queen in lieu of rent. The Queen paid their rent for several years as she felt she had promised them an apartment in the palace, I think in the mind of the Queen and her staff the couple would move to their country house, instead they sold the house in the country and made the palace their main home, as such they had to start paying rent at a more commercial rate.
IMO this should be the rule, those who don't work full time as a royal should pay rent, by this I mean for example, the York princesses, they do not carry out duties listed in the court circular and have their own jobs so should pay rent for the st James' palace apartment, I think the same should have been done when Edward and Sophie were working, they should of paid rent even if they were still in rooms at BP. I think it's fair enough for those full time royals to get a place to stay as that's where their staff and the royal court are based but any others should pay rent.
In the case of Beatrice and eugenie I imagine it was 'justified' on the grounds of security.
I can't find the article now - such a wombat. However, I agree about the peppercorn rent for the Michaels because HMQ paid it for a while but now they carry the entire cost. I dont think they ever owned a country property.
I'm not sure about the Gloucesters but I expect they pay something. KP is their only residence as they rent out Barnwell Manor.

I really agree about Beatrice and Eugenie but for all we know they may be paying rent.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I really agree about Beatrice and Eugenie but for all we know they may be paying rent.
I don't remember where I saw it but in the back of my mind, there's a niggling reminder that Andrew is paying the rent on the apartment along with his daughter's security.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't remember where I saw it but in the back of my mind, there's a niggling reminder that Andrew is paying the rent on the apartment along with his daughter's security.
your are on the money - here it is

Prince Andrew to pay Beatrice and Eugenie

Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I can't find the article now - such a wombat. However, I agree about the peppercorn rent for the Michaels because HMQ paid it for a while but now they carry the entire cost. I dont think they ever owned a country property.
I'm not sure about the Gloucesters but I expect they pay something. KP is their only residence as they rent out Barnwell Manor.

The Kents had Nether Lypiatt Manor in the countryside from 1980 to 2005.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

thanks for that. I'd forgotten.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Courtier

Maybe Charles will move his brothers/sisters in time to KP. Thus by the time William and Kate come to the throne it would be the 'aunt (and uncle) heap' again. That being said William and Harry May have an understandable affinity to KP meaning it will stay an important residences to them in a way it hasn't been to other monarchs.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

'Queen Camilla': Is Britain really ready for the Duchess of Cornwall becoming Queen one day? - Telegraph

Is Britain really ready for a 'Queen Camilla'?

Almost two decades after Diana's tragic death, it surely wouldn't be a betrayal of her memory to give the Duchess of Cornwall her own chance to secure a place in the nation's heart, writes Cathy Newman

Tags
british, camilla, charles of wales, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, titles