The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Commoner

It is media access to the state banquets, but the media shows it only when it is visits from large countries. There was live coverage from the France and Saudi visits in 2007, and for the US visit in 2011.
In 2005 the Norwegian Royal Family was on a state visit to the UK, media here in Norway had live coverage, it was not even mentioned in the British media.

Long Live Elizabeth The Great

Old 08-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
He is very close to 70, now. The queen seems quite well and I think she will be around for a bit more, her mother was over 100. I said close, not necessarily 80, but he will be quite mature. He is now.
He's only 64 now- not even close enough to 70 to round up. Elizabeth II is 87. Lets be generous and say 76 is close to 80. Elizabeth II would have to reign until she's 99 years old.

It's not impossible, but it's improbable.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Majesty

As far as media coverage of events that aren't covered now - is there really a demand, except for die-hard royal watchers - for any coverage? I suspect not.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles is now closer to being King. The Queen is 87 and may she continue to enjoying great health but reality is setting in that she's older and slower (as she puts it). I think if she makes it to her 90's, I think it's going to be very challenging for her to carry on the burden of being the Monarch.

QUOTE=Iluvbertie;1593244]As far as media coverage of events that aren't covered now - is there really a demand, except for die-hard royal watchers - for any coverage? I suspect not.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice for them to provide some Live video feed from their official website though. If not on TV.

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles becomes ‘oldest heir in history’-
Prince Charles becomes 'oldest heir in history' | Royal Central

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Congrats to Prince Charles on that milstone. I wonder if he will celebrate? Just in case anyone was wondering or keeping track Prince Charles well become the Longest Serving Prince of Wales on September 9, 2017.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Prince Charles becomes ‘oldest heir in history’-
Prince Charles becomes 'oldest heir in history' | Royal Central
This is not correct. Sophia of Hanover was 83 when she died in 1714.

He will (assuming he outlives HMQ) be the oldest heir to become monarch.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

So it's correct to say His Royal Highness is the oldest Heir Apparent.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

It will be interesting to see if Charles continues to invite the same family members to Sandringham at Christmas as currently invited the Queen. I can't see Princess Margaret'a children attending for example. Likewise, Princess Anne's children may not want to go now they are married and have their own children. I am sure Charles will still want his own siblings along though.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would imagine his siblings will still attend as Margaret attended for many years. If his siblings don't attend there wont be a big turn out!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I suspect Camilla's children will certainly be on the estate, even if they are not in the main house for Christmas.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I would imagine his siblings will still attend as Margaret attended for many years. If his siblings don't attend there wont be a big turn out!
Yes but remember The Queen Mother was also still alive so Margaret was spending Christmas with her own mother and taking her children along and her children have continued to be invited by their Aunt Lilibet simply because they have always done so.

We have already seen Anne and her children miss Christmas with Charles when they missed it the year that Savannah was born.

I can see the siblings going sometimes but can also see the grandchildren wanting to spend Christmas with their spouses' families and so the sibling could be with his/her own children and grandchildren.

I don't think Charles wants to have his siblings around much and will have them at the Christmas Luncheon before the Sandringham Christmas.

That is also assuming that The Queen leaves Sandringham to Charles - she could leave it to anyone as it is private property not state owned - and Charles may decide to spend Christmas somewhere else as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Courtier

I think starting from The Queen turning 90, Charles will start taking over Centanoph, Trooping The Colour, Opening The parliament, and finally Christmas Speech (in that order only..?) one each year..
Or maybe even earlier..
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I think starting from The Queen turning 90, Charles will start taking over Centanoph, Trooping The Colour, Opening The parliament, and finally Christmas Speech (in that order only..?) one each year.. Or maybe even earlier..
I think it will be a sad day when the Queen doesn't do these things herself.

Regardless of her age, so long as she's able to I don't see why Charles has to do any of them - personally I think the things you've listed here are more "the monarch's duty" than anything.

The meeting with the Commonwealth - also the monarch's duty - is a bit different as it involves travel out of Britain, and the Queen seems to be limiting her travel at this point. But watching her in this past year, it certainly seems like despite her age HM is still fully capable of doing the things you've listed.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 AM

Given his age and experience as heir, the Prince of Wales may well have the opportunity to make sweeping changes upon ascending the throne. What if he refuses to step into role of hand puppet that many expect of him? There are two issues that come to the front of my mind.
First, does anybody really think he’s going to stop championing the underprivileged? As a pensioner King with a lot of experience handling politicians, he might well find expression that is apolitical while promoting an agenda semi-independent of the government. Maybe the Crown will find new expression in its charity work?
Second, upon ascending the throne, he will be expected to turn over the Crown Estate revenues to Parliament in exchange for a percentage of the Crown Estate revenues. Even though there is a long history of monarchs and Parliaments making these kinds of agreements, what if he simply does not renew it? What if Court uses the money to pay all the expenses, including security, and paid income taxes on the balance? That looks so much like the current arrangement with the Crown Estate and the Duchy of Cornwall right now. Would a pensioner King be bullied into making an agreement that diminishes the Monarch’s independence and dignity if he simply did nothing to renew the agreements?
His past actions indicate he may have ideas for radical change. He will be a great King and will do as much as he can for the benefit of all of his subjects.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingGoodTime View Post
Given his age and experience as heir, the Prince of Wales may well have the opportunity to make sweeping changes upon ascending the throne. What if he refuses to step into role of hand puppet that many expect of him? There are two issues that come to the front of my mind.
If he tries the parliament will object - as it did in the 1640s - and as the monarch now reigns with the approval of parliament the parliament will remove him.

Quote:
First, does anybody really think he’s going to stop championing the underprivileged? As a pensioner King with a lot of experience handling politicians, he might well find expression that is apolitical while promoting an agenda semi-independent of the government. Maybe the Crown will find new expression in its charity work?
The monarch is totally apolitical, even if other members of the family are more outspoken - I do believe that Charles knows that as King he can't publicly support one side of politics over the other and given the number of politicians he has rubbed the wrong way he won't be able to do so privately either, unlike his mother, as they will soon let it be known that he is still interfering - outside his authority.

Quote:
Second, upon ascending the throne, he will be expected to turn over the Crown Estate revenues to Parliament in exchange for a percentage of the Crown Estate revenues. Even though there is a long history of monarchs and Parliaments making these kinds of agreements, what if he simply does not renew it? What if Court uses the money to pay all the expenses, including security, and paid income taxes on the balance? That looks so much like the current arrangement with the Crown Estate and the Duchy of Cornwall right now. Would a pensioner King be bullied into making an agreement that diminishes the Monarch’s independence and dignity if he simply did nothing to renew the agreements?
His past actions indicate he may have ideas for radical change. He will be a great King and will do as much as he can for the benefit of all of his subjects.
Can't happen as there the changes to the arrangements that were made a couple of years ago whereby the monarch gets 15% of the Crown Estates to support the monarch in their official duties and maintain the state owned palaces is now law. That changed the old arrangements that had operated at the beginning of each reign since George III - which was the monarch handed over the money so that parliament paid for the court system, the defence forces etc - not something that parliament would ever hand back to the monarch.

Charles will still have the income of the Duchy of Lancaster to fund his private needs - as he now has the Duchy of Cornwall.

Charles has to abide by the legislation of the land and if he tries to go beyond that he will be removed very quickly.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Charles may have more latitude to march to his own beat than simply following his mother's example. Two things stand out: 1) Parliament would have to consult the Realms, which may not be pushed around so easily, before it could just throw him out; and 2) tradition is a good reason to renew the Sovereign Grant agreement, but Charles does not necessarily have to comply with tradition. Taking the revenue from the Crown Estates has seemingly been one of his goals for a great number of years, and now the Sovereign Grant is funded by the Crown Estates. He may like the current arrangement, or he may make his own agreement with Parliament. From afar, he seems like a man with bold ideas, and the age and experience to implement them.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingGoodTime View Post
Charles may have more latitude to march to his own beat than simply following his mother's example. Two things stand out: 1) Parliament would have to consult the Realms, which may not be pushed around so easily, before it could just throw him out; and 2) tradition is a good reason to renew the Sovereign Grant agreement, but Charles does not necessarily have to comply with tradition. Taking the revenue from the Crown Estates has seemingly been one of his goals for a great number of years, and now the Sovereign Grant is funded by the Crown Estates. He may like the current arrangement, or he may make his own agreement with Parliament. From afar, he seems like a man with bold ideas, and the age and experience to implement them.
The Sovereign Grant isn't an agreement. It is a piece of legislation signed into law by The Queen - no further agreements will be made as this is it. The previous system was a convention not backed by legislation but the Sovereign Grant ACT made it a law which can only be changed by another law - and there is no way Parliament is going to increase the amount given to the monarchy.

As for the other realms - just as they can become a republic on their own so can the UK - if they wish to remove Charles they will do so and the other realms have a couple of choices - agree with the UK keep Charles themselves and thus split the monarch, or become a republic and many of them have been talking about that and are really just waiting for Charles to become King (or the Queen to die) for that process to begin again in their own realms. Remember that she started as Queen of 54 nations and will leave no more than 16 to Charles who will probably leave even fewer to William.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 AM

Thank you for your comments. However, the Act as Enacted sets the duration of the Sovereign Grant Provisions to 6 months after the end of the prior reign. Charles will have the opportunity to make his own arrangements when he ascends. For a bit of light reading, Section 16 discusses duration: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...-grant/enacted.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Majesty

I have read the act and a time limit won't change anything - it is still an Act of Parliament and Parliament won't agree to giving any more to the monarch - and not will the British people.

The Crown Estates were used to fund the running of the country. George III gave them to parliament in return for enough money to fund his official duties. That has been the practice for the last 200+ years and there is no way that the Parliament or the people of the UK will allow the monarch of the day to have any more power than they have now - so getting any more of the Crown Estates means exactly that.

Parliament have set the precedent and will never give up that right - and no king would be stupid enough to try to take back powers that have been given away or taken away in return for a lavish lifestyle particularly when so many people in the country are struggling to make ends meet at the moment it is even seen as offensive to get as much as they do now.

Charles was supportive of capping the figure at 15% and there is no reason to think he would want any more - and it is always possible that he might struggle to even get that much.

Tags
british, camilla, charles of wales, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, titles