The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Unlike 1952 I don't see everything shutting down for 3 days or so in the immediate aftermath of the Soveriegn's death. Some places might close on the day of the funeral but there will be many people who will still need services as there will be an upturn in travel of people wanting to pay their respects.

The Coronation will be a large spectacle and again places will close on the day near the route but that will be offset by a large increase in tourists into the country - not just for the day either but over the course of the year to see various displays that will be up to mark the occasion.
I SO hope that the Coronation will be a really Royal, Majestic and a wonderful opulent spectacle, with all the gorgeous Royal pomp and circumstance of old. Heavens, we all know how rare such gorgeous Coronations have become! I say, Britannia please rise to the occasion, when it will eventually occur.......

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Unlike 1952 I don't see everything shutting down for 3 days or so in the immediate aftermath of the Soveriegn's death. Some places might close on the day of the funeral but there will be many people who will still need services as there will be an upturn in travel of people wanting to pay their respects.
Really? I think you will see full scale mourning for more than a day when QEII dies.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm inclined to agree with you, Scooter.

Elizabeth II has been a Monarch for the entire duration of most citizens of the United Kingdom and other Realms; the mourning for her, especially given the sort of popularity, reverence even, she now enjoys will be sincere and most probably on quite a grand scale.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Charles, I think, has made more of a difference in the UK than his mother has. He had the freedom to actually get out there and do it.

One thing I think we won't have to ever worry about is how Charles will put a mark on the monarchy. If we have to gauge making a difference, I think he will be remembered mostly for the differences he made while being the Prince of Wales. Its very likely that Charles' reign will be remembered more as a bridge between Elizabeth II and William V. (did I get it right this time?)

When I think about it, if Charles does come to the throne in 5-10 years time, in a way it gives Charles the leeway to slow down and just be the monarch he is supposed to be. His Prince's Trust is established and well under good management, he has to curb in his points of view on things, and if William takes over the Prince's Trust, he's training his son.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

And yet Edward VII lived up to the challenge as Prince Charles undoubtedly will.
Elizabeth II is a fantastic Sovereign, but there were great Monarchs before her, and there will be ones in times to come.
Yes, I have no doubt Charles will live up to the challenge.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 AM
Majesty

[QUOTE=scooter;1499637]
Quote:
QUOTE]

Really? I think you will see full scale mourning for more than a day when QEII dies.
I don't think the government would order three days of everything closing, shops, restaurants, businesses etc. That is what happened when George VI died.

Sure there will be mourning with people putting flowers outside BP and queuing to walk past her coffin etc but not to the official extent of 1952.

My parents were on their honeymoon and my dad was told to get everything they would need for the next three days as there would be nothing open - and the only place they could get something to eat was the hotel where they were staying and only the people staying there were allowed to be served - food only mind you, no alcohol and if they hadn't arrived by the time everything shut down, even if they had booked in, they couldn't book in.

That is the sort of mourning I don't see happening - a complete shut-down of the country for three days.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
That is the sort of mourning I don't see happening - a complete shut-down of the country for three days.
Like you, I think that life will go on as normal when HM passes. Maybe one day of national mourning. I don't see any mass hysteria either as we saw when Diana died.

I think what there will be though is that between the time of the death of Elizabeth II and the coronation of her son, we'll see a lot of focus on the life of HM and it'll be more of a celebration of her life and time as a monarch.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM

If I can put my two cents in, I believe that in the future when William and Harry have their children, their children will be the monarch(yes Harry's included) and then when the grandchildren come around, Harry's will not be apart of the "official" royal and will probably have normal lives. William has stated that he only wants 2 children, and I just don't see just his family will be the monarch that would lead to too much work for so little people, that's why I believe Harry's children will play a big role in the monarch.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

I see the monarchy becoming more scaled down in the future. By the time Prince Harry has grandchildren, their lives will be very different. They will be royal but they will lead a more normal life than their grandfather. I don't think they will have a lot of restrictions put of them and will have more normal lifestyle. I can see them working at a job full time, and doing things that their grand father and great-grandfather King Charles would never have dreamed of but would have liked to do perhaps if given the chance.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

^A la Zara. Grandchild of the sovereign, with a mostly real, but still highly privileged, life.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
^A la Zara. Grandchild of the sovereign, with a mostly real, but still highly privileged, life.
All the perks and none of the responsibilties?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Courtier

At Trooping the Colour..

I hope Charles will be fit to ride at Trooping by himself, atleast for the first 10 years of his reign. His father rode till he was 85 (2006), I dont think Charles is anyway less fit/robust than him.
King George VI took carriage in 1950, and couldnt even attend in '51.
And by the time Charles becomes King, Duke of Kent would have gone (atleast from horseback) and Harry would have joined. I wonder Anne will still be there on horseback well into Charles' reign.
After her it will be just Will&Harry behind the King I gues..
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
All the perks and none of the responsibilties?
Perhaps, but also the down side like having unwanted media attention on her private life.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I hope Charles will be fit to ride at Trooping by himself, atleast for the first 10 years of his reign. His father rode till he was 85 (2006), I dont think Charles is anyway less fit/robust than him.
King George VI took carriage in 1950, and couldnt even attend in '51.
And by the time Charles becomes King, Duke of Kent would have gone (atleast from horseback) and Harry would have joined. I wonder Anne will still be there on horseback well into Charles' reign.
After her it will be just Will&Harry behind the King I gues..

Harry riding will depend on him having the appropriate rank in one of the relevant regiments. I am sure he will eventually but he won't be given honourary rank in an army regiment while still a serving officer with strong links to one of those regiments (Household Cavalry).
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Majesty

Harry's grandchildren will need to have their own lives - just like the current grandchildren of earlier younger sons of a monarch - the children of the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent.

As for Harry's kids - the precedence is being set with Beatrice and Eugenie that the children of the younger sons will also have to work for themselves and I expect the same for Harry's children.

The future of the BRF is a smaller working unit - no doubt. They aren't going to continue with 15 working members as they have now but in time that will be reduced to half a dozen - the monarch and spouse, heir and spouse and maybe a sibling or two.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Harry's grandchildren will need to have their own lives - just like the current grandchildren of earlier younger sons of a monarch - the children of the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent.

As for Harry's kids - the precedence is being set with Beatrice and Eugenie that the children of the younger sons will also have to work for themselves and I expect the same for Harry's children.

The future of the BRF is a smaller working unit - no doubt. They aren't going to continue with 15 working members as they have now but in time that will be reduced to half a dozen - the monarch and spouse, heir and spouse and maybe a sibling or two.
I don't agree. The half dozen you describe would be, for most of the time, be 4 adults plus children. It's not enough. Harry, his spouse and children will be active - the Royal Foundation spells that out to me as it is based on the original Foundation of Prince William and Harry. That would give you (all things being equal) 8 adults and some children.

I also think that Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will carry on till they drop; and there is every chance that Louise and (speculating here) James could be part time. I cannot see that the Royal family could survive dropping somewhere in the region of c. 450-600+ patronages (est at c. 150 per FT royal). I know that the number is subject to debate but the eventual loss of Charles and Camilla and then Charles' siblings would put too much pressure on William and his direct family.

I am also waiting for someone to tell me the source of the on-going tale of Charles and the smaller monarchy.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Majesty

There's no doubt Anne, Andrew, Edward & Sophie will continue on with their duties but the main focus will be on Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine and Harry and his future wife. I really think that's the best thing for the future of the Monarchy.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There's no doubt Anne, Andrew, Edward & Sophie will continue on with their duties but the main focus will be on Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine and Harry and his future wife. I really think that's the best thing for the future of the Monarchy.
I agree with that - Harry and family will be a working part of the royal family into the future

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Nobility

You want to know what Anne, Andrew & Edward will be doing under King Charles, go back and look at Princess Margaret's diary. Due to the big age difference between Charles & Edward, under King William, Edward and possible Andrew will be a close advisor to William. See all the time he spends with QE2, there is a reason for that.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Courtier

Yup, there will be a lot for them to do under Charles, and possibly William also, though they may not come on balcony or have the same spotlight as of now.
Had Princess Margaret not spoilt her personal life and image, she could have done more for the RF and improved the image of BRF much much more..

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v