The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

There are always questions about what the new reign will be like and how the heir can never be as good or as capable as their parent but somehow people get over it and carry on.
In business terms it is like when a long term executive retires and someone new takes over. Employees miss the old guy and worry about what things will change but eventually everyone settles down and a new norm is created.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

I agree and a poll taken over the summer showed a majority of Britons expect the monarchy to be around in 100 years from now so it isn't going anywhere that's for sure .

Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl
I just wonder with people who are passive supporters of the monarchy, will HMs popularity transfer over to Charles.
Very little. Charles will have to do A LOT if he's to have the same support as his mother. He just won't have the time as a monarch to carve out the image he needs.
I too think he'll be a fantastic monarch, but people will always see him as the guy who talks to plants.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Very little. Charles will have to do A LOT if he's to have the same support as his mother. He just won't have the time as a monarch to carve out the image he needs.
I too think he'll be a fantastic monarch, but people will always see him as the guy who talks to plants.
Sometimes the best accomplishment a monarch or any leader can do is to build bridges and pave roads into the future.

I see Charles very much being a transitional monarch. The bridge builder between Elizabeth II and William IV. The world has changed drastically since HM's ascension in 1952 and I think it will be during Charles' reign that we will see a careful modernization of the monarchy while also preserving the rich history and traditions that make the British monarchy so unique.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Sometimes the best accomplishment a monarch or any leader can do is to build bridges and pave roads into the future.

I see Charles very much being a transitional monarch. The bridge builder between Elizabeth II and William IV. The world has changed drastically since HM's ascension in 1952 and I think it will be during Charles' reign that we will see a careful modernization of the monarchy while also preserving the rich history and traditions that make the British monarchy so unique.
Yes. This.

I made a similar post (in the wrong thread) a few days ago - I also believe Charles' greatest role (and it is an important one) will be to be the "Arbiter of Change", so to speak. And I think he will do this well and with careful thought and bring to it the personal integrity that I associate with his character.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Step One: To be coronated the high unction must be bestowed on Charles and he is divorced.They did not bestow this previously to divorced Princes- this having been a factor for Edward marrying Wallis.
However times have changed and they may revise whatever was to accomodate.
CHarles always has some fascinating ideas for the lands he reigns over. He would a make a good king.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

William V actually.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
That's usually true, but sometimes there are exceptions. Think of Edward VII: no one expected much of him, especially since he succeeded the great Queen Victoria. And yet he is now remembered as the Peacemaker King, and (in my opinion) one of the best Britain has ever had.

Sometimes a reign, however short, is defined by the personality of the ruler and how it matches the needs of his country at that particular time. Despite being called old-fashioned, redundant even, I believe Prince Charles is actually one of the most forward-thinking royals of our time. If he has as little as a decade to reign, I'm quite certain he will leave his trace in the history books.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
William V actually.
Thanks for the correction on that. I always seem to get the numbers mixed up.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Courtier

It will become 6 soon..and then 10..and then one more cycle of slimming..then again only 6 will remain..and it goes on and on..
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh what can he do? There is no way he can do more than what he is doing now..Tell me what exactly HM has "done" in all these decades? Monarchs are never ever supposed to have active roles..
And to hell with those who say he talks to plants..If people can talk to and cry for animals..why cant someone attach himself with plants..which are more important for mankind than fancy pups..
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Aristocracy

Victoria's uncle was William IV and that will make this William the V-Fifth.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
That's usually true, but sometimes there are exceptions. Think of Edward VII: no one expected much of him, especially since he succeeded the great Queen Victoria. And yet he is now remembered as the Peacemaker King, and (in my opinion) one of the best Britain has ever had.

Sometimes a reign, however short, is defined by the personality of the ruler and how it matches the needs of his country at that particular time. Despite being called old-fashioned, redundant even, I believe Prince Charles is actually one of the most forward-thinking royals of our time. If he has as little as a decade to reign, I'm quite certain he will leave his trace in the history books.
Artemisia, I seriously do not understand what to expect from Prince Charles as King that will keep him in history forever..He cannot do anything revolutionary or overboard and still remain popular, atleast in his lifetime..Infact, dont you appreciate the fact the HM The Queen is this popular just because she has not done anything on her own..all these decades..She just walked, smiled, shook hands and read speeches..as was told to her..and simply retreated to the background..And thats the only acceptable role of a constitutional monarch in today's world..
And we just cannot compare him with Edard VII..He has hardly anything to his credit during his long tenure as Prince of Wales, expect standing in for his "forever-in-mourning" mother..Prince Charles has redefined the role of a heir and of course media and people wanting something "awe"some and dazzling will never appreciate it..And about Edward the Peacemaker and all..Things are totally different today..and for a king poking his finger into even environment policy, leave alone foreign and economic policies..will spell doom..
We will only be able to enjoy his reign if we cherish his work as Prince of Wales, love him as a father-figure and identify him with his "ever-lamented (at that time)" mother's legacy..
Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Look, if not by accident of birth, he would, probabaly, be in some middle management job. He is hardly, a "leader". No great intellect or drive. Most of his accomplishments are because he had a great fortune, time and unlimited access to mentors and funds. He is wise to like his position, which has given him great latitude. Since, being king, requires nothing more than what he is, he will be a fine monarch for as long as he is in the position. Who is against him? He will be king, because of his birth, not because he has any particular qualifications. It is not a merit job.
Then there is no point in talking about monarchy itself..Would you agree that if not for her marriage, Diana would just be a kindergarden teacher..even a nanny..
Why do you go this personal I dont understand
Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Oh what can he do? There is no way he can do more than what he is doing now..Tell me what exactly HM has "done" in all these decades? Monarchs are never ever supposed to have active roles..
And to hell with those who say he talks to plants..If people can talk to and cry for animals..why cant someone attach himself with plants..which are more important for mankind than fancy pups..
Did you read the part of my post where I clearly stated that I thought Charles would a fantastic monarch?
Please don't attack me for writing about the general opinion of this country. Charles will always have the image of a slight odd ball. The Queen comes from a different age, she's earnt the respect of her subjects by her 6 decades of tireless dedication to this country. Whilst Charles has shown his devotion, there are times when he hasn't.

Quote:
Would you agree that if not for her marriage, Diana would just be a kindergarden teacher..even a nanny..
Why do you go this personal I dont understand
I don't see how this is personal. It's fact. The royal family of any country have done nothing to earn there place, they are simple born into their role and that is that. If Diana hadn't married Charles, she would have worked with children. If Sarah hadn't married Andrew, she probably would have done some kind of PR. If Sophie hadn't married Edward, she had her own company to run in television I think. Philip would have continued life as a navy officer. It is pure luck or chance that when you meet a royal, they fall for you or find an attribute appealing.

Quote:
Infact, dont you appreciate the fact the HM The Queen is this popular just because she has not done anything on her own..all these decades..She just walked, smiled, shook hands and read speeches..as was told to her..and simply retreated to the background..And thats the only acceptable role of a constitutional monarch in today's world..
The Queen is respected in the countries she reigns over because she has done this for so long and with the highest regard for her country men and each individual country. She has never put a foot out of line. Elizabeth comes from another age, she became Queen when the monarchy was revered. I bet half this country respects Elizabeth because they feel they have to.

Quote:
Prince Charles has redefined the role of a heir and of course media and people wanting something "awe"some and dazzling will never appreciate it.
I disagree, Charles has not redefined the role as heir, he's done exactly what he should have done in his 60 or so years as heir.

Charles will not be a great monarch, he will be a good one.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I disagree, Charles has not redefined the role as heir, he's done exactly what he should have done in his 60 or so years as heir.

He has defined the role of the heir - he has actually given the heir a role - something that didn't happen before.

Elizabeth - didn't really have time to define her role as heir but she didn't do much.

Edward VIII - did as little as possible to support his father and only did what was asked of him by his father e.g. some tours after WWI and not a great deal else - no charity drives etc.

George V spent his time as heir shooting and stamp collecting with the occasional tour as his father's representative e.g. Australia in 1901 to open the first Australian Parliament.

Edward VII - nothing as heir - not allowed to do anything except lead the party loving society and very very occasionally stand in for his mother.

George IV, except when Regent - anything to have fun but nothing for the nation or his father - a typical Hanoverian attitude actually - the heir does nothing except lead the opposition to the King.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He has defined the role of the heir - he has actually given the heir a role - something that didn't happen before.

I agree with you here. Charles has proven, time and again, that he is more than the guy waiting to be King. In fact, this is one of the ways in which HMtQ has changed HER role, as well.

I think, in fact, that Charles will be one of the most influential Monarchs in history, in the fullness of time, if for no other reason than he will arrive on the throne as the first Monarch of the "information age". His reign will, to a great degree, establish the viability of the Monarchy going forward.

And I think we could not ask for a more qualified individual. As a long serving PoW he has had time to learn and observe, to mature and establish his own ideas and beliefs.

With all respect to HMtQ, I am quite looking forward to it.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Whilst Charles has shown his devotion, there are times when he hasn't.
Did you have any specific examples to elucidate your point?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Did you have any specific examples to elucidate your point?
There have certainly been occasions (about 20 years worth) where Charles put his 'wants and needs' above his duty to the Crown. Do you really need me to spell it out?

Should Charles outlive his mother, given the fact that the Windsor men of the last century have not lived to old age this is not a certainty (George IV 67, William IV 71, Edward VII 68, George V 70, Edward VIII 77, George VI 56), I think his biggest problem is going to be that he seems unable to stay out of controversial topics. QEII knows that she cant publicly have strong opinions, especially those contrary to what the present government espouses. I am not sure Charles has the self control to hold his opinions in.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
There have certainly been occasions (about 20 years worth) where Charles put his 'wants and needs' above his duty to the Crown. Do you really need me to spell it out?
I am still waiting to hear how having to work thorugh an unfortunate and difficult marriage in any way compromised his duty to the crown, if that is what you are alluding to. Shocking as it might appear, divorce unfortunately is not uncommon, and even the CoE appears to be reconciling with British society at large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
QEII knows that she cant publicly have strong opinions, especially those contrary to what the present government espouses. I am not sure Charles has the self control to hold his opinions in.
Charles is not the monarch, and is entitled to put forth his views in the ways thst he has. He does not get involved in party political issues. Once he is King, I suspect he will be far more reticent than he has been in the last 3 decades.

Tags
british, camilla, charles of wales, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, titles