The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To amplify what Iluvbertie is saying, I was reminded of Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's first cousin and childhood friend. I did some searching and found an article from the not so distant past that I really enjoyed.

The Queen and I: Her Majesty's cousin lifts the lid on the private lives of the Royals | Mail Online

Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Actually she has had her cousins around her for most of her life...
Thank you, Iluvbertie. I realize I was taking her life at face value - official - and not being realistic. Interesting perspective - a full extended family life. Simply lived, too, from the below article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To amplify what Iluvbertie is saying, I was reminded of Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's first cousin and childhood friend. I did some searching and found an article from the not so distant past that I really enjoyed.

The Queen and I: Her Majesty's cousin lifts the lid on the private lives of the Royals | Mail Online
Thank you, Osipi. Interesting insight.

Later: I had a heart-stopping moment: one of the pictures - the one with her sitting eating her lunch on her lap with a drink to the side (see link below) - reminded me forcefully of my mother: the white hair, yes, but the roll of hair at the crown - a type of hair-do women who came of age in the 40's seem(ed) to be fond of (my mother sure was) and just the general gesture and attitude of the face - so like my mother - sans the glasses (my mother had darker rimmed ones).

http://tinyurl.com/7vag7cy

Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 AM
Majesty

This is a short report about her visit to church at Filcham last Sunday and it includes mention of Philip's nephew and his wife - Ludwig is Philip's sister, Theodora's son.

The Queen meets well-wishers at Flitcham church - News - Eastern Daily Press

These Baden's are amongst the many first cousins of the Queen's children. People often only think of them having the children of Princess Margaret but they have way more first cousins on their father's side as his three sister with suriving children had many of them but because of the ages at which his sisters married most of these cousins are closer in age to The Queen than to Charles and certainly to Edward. All four of Philip's sisters married between 1930 and 1931, although the youngest remarried sometime later after her husband was shot down during WWII.

From Theodora Philip has two nephews and a neice all still living - it is the youngest of these three who visited last week.

From Margarita Philip had two neices (one stillborn) and four nephews with only one still living.

From Sophie - the youngest sister, the first to marry and the last to die (in late 2001 - about six weeks before Princess Margaret died) he had/has four neices and four nephews with the eldest of Sophie's children dying as recently as last November. Her younger three children, from her second marriage are much closer to Charles in age being born in 1947, 1949 and 1954 although the one born in 1947 is also deceased.

So Philip still has 10 living nieces and nephews all of whom regularly visit.

The Queen herself has extended family in Britain with whom she is in regular contact - the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra. She also has regular contact with their children and their grandchildren.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Still waiting for the crown - but Charles finally accepts he will never have a Jubilee of his own (and hopes biding his time will make us accept Queen Camilla) | Mail Online
Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I've moved the recent discussion into a new thread in the POW & DOC subforum: Charles as King: Choice of Regnal Name.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
Russophile - I hate to say it, but the thought of Windsor or Sandringham operating as some form of an upmarket B&B is quite ridiculous!
Why? They are renting out rooms at Buck House for the Olympics...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Gentry

Buckingham Palace b&b

I would imagine that several visiting heads of state, will be staying at Buckingham palace, for the opening ceremony of the Olympic games, but no more than that. Beyond the Belgian suite and a few others, the Palace does not have the substantial accommodation, that we might imagine. In addition, the protocols surrounding the visit of a head of state, to this country, are very strictly observed. As it is not a state visit, the Queen would not be expected to recieve dignatries as official guests, therefor they would stay in private accommodation, not in one of the palaces. I could be wrong, of course?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Gentry

London 2012 Olympics: Queen to rent out St James' Palace room for 30k a day | Mail Online

??????
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Serene Highness

Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenafran

Why? They are renting out rooms at Buck House for the Olympics...
Well St James' is not Buckingham Palace which was what you originally said. St James' is barely used and The Queen's making money from some empty rooms, good on her!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Gentry

No Royal B&B

Thank you for that link, Jennafran!! Reading some of the comments posted after the article, one can see just how nasty and vile the republican fringe in Britain, really is. Such sad people. As i imagined, these are not visting dignatries, Olympic officials or tourists staying at St James palace, as paying guests, i think that headline is a little misleading!! There is nothing wrong with business people, associated with the Olympic games, using the facilities of St James for corporate purposes, and paying for the privillege. HMS Britannia often played host to such events and the concept is well established. As Lumutqueen rightly says, the Queen is simply showing a good business head and if others object to this, then that is their problem.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this is a brilliant idea! If given the opportunity and means, I'd love to stay at St. James' Palace! Am so looking forward to the Summer Olympics in London!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM

Yes, I don't quite know what to expect when that dreadful day comes, when Queen Elizabeth II dies. Will Charles be able to uphold the monarchy as She did. It really is quite a question isn't it?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

There were fears that the man in your avatar - Edward VII - would not be able to live up to the reputation of his great mother, Queen Victoria.
Having waited most of his life to ascend to the Throne, he was considered too old, too progressive (or, depending on others' point of view, too traditional), too unlike Victoria to be a good Monarch. And yet when be did become King, by his short but very successful reign the Peacemaker King proved his critics wrong.

Something tells me that will be the case with Prince Charles as well; he has, after all, trained for the job whole his life, is a dedicated and hard-working person and a brilliant Prince of Wales. All in all, I think he'll be able to uphold the legacy left by his mother when the sad day comes.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Aristocracy

Charles....

I agree Artemisia, (what a lovely name!) like you, I believe Charles will be a wonderful Monarch. Through all the trials and tribulations, I believe He has become a wiser, more compassionate and stronger man. Just look how fond His sons are of Him. In addition, He is courageous enough to speak His mind, even if some of His views are somewhat different, which I believe to be an asset. However, I doubt if He will ever have the chance to become King.....We'll see.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Princes at war: How Charles' plans for a slimmed-down monarchy have 'driven a dagger through Andrew's heart' - and sparked a Palace power struggle | Mail Online
Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 AM

This is typical petulant Andrew. The man does himself no favours. What did he expect? That the Royal Family would just grow and grow? We live in different times, we expect different things from our monarchy. It was always going to happen and Andrew has had long enough to adjust. Anne certainly has. This would be akin to Princess Benedikte throwing an eppy in Denmark because Queen Margrethe hasn't given her children royal duties to carry out. Andrew had his time before the Queen's children were married, now they all are, they've had children and their children have started to have families of their own. It's a natural evolution, I can't see why Andrew can't accept that. It's going to be very lonely at Sunningdale if he doesn't clear this one up before Charles becomes King...
Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

As I have said earlier in the other thread, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene should find sinecures and lead lives as private citizens. It would be much better for them in the long run. Prince Charles and his family can deal with all the engagements.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

This looks like nonsense to me. A few points:
1. no specifics on when or where this conversation took place
2. Mentions a "senior figure" - means nothing. Senior in what capacity? Too vague to take seriously
3. Friend of Prince Andrew says .......... who exactly?
4. "Speed at which Charles has acted". I think the slimmed down aspect has been know for some time. I've not been on the Forums long but a lot of you in here have talked about it for quite a while.
5. "It's alright for Charles...endless bodyguards etc". Of course it is - he's the heir to the throne.
6.The inference that Charles is leading this without the agreement of HMQ is false, IMO

And so on and so on. I think this is rubbish made up by Richard Kay who still resents he no longer has an inside track to the Royal Family. He doesn't like Charles or Camilla and this is his way of getting at them without making a direct attack. Using other members of the royal family as cover is typical.

Prince Andrew has stated publically that his daughters do not intend to carry out royal duties.

As for Edward, he and his wife are expected to carry on as they are but their children will lead non-royal lives.

Just an additional point on security. Beatrice and Eugenie are tracked on a daily basis by the paps. Follow freelance royal photographers and you will find the princesses. This makes them very easy targets and therefore there is a degree of risk.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Just an additional point on security. Beatrice and Eugenie are tracked on a daily basis by the paps. Follow freelance royal photographers and you will find the princesses. This makes them very easy targets and therefore there is a degree of risk.
But they are just granddaughters of the queen who have no official profile. So why would somebody try to attack them out of political reasons? On the contrary, being considered private citizens makes their life much easier. And face it: they do not venture out of well-controlled areas at night. Beatrice lives within St. James' palace and Eugenie has her room in her father's apartment at BP AFAIK, so it's not as if they travelled dangerously. They call a taxi to a venue where the entrance is guarded and the taxi enters the respective palace grounds to allow them out at another guarded door.

Okay, so they can't use the tube to go where they want in London, they either call for a taxi or drive in their own cars. There should not be much risk included for them. If there was any real risk, they would get back their protection immediately.

Tags
british, camilla, charles of wales, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, titles