Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzg View Post
he get 2:2 ?
It's a lower second class honours degree given according to the British undergraduate degree classification. And I disagree with what princessroyal says as a 2:2 is a fantastic achievement and is better than great - it's incredible.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

It's a lower second class honours degree given according to the British undergraduate degree classification.
Yep. You need to get 50% though it night have been harder in those days I suppose.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Majesty

Considering he spent a third of his final year having to go to another university to study Welsh for the Investiture he was put at a disadvantage to others in his year. He had two terms of study in his final year rather than the normal three terms.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Anyway, the Queen doesn't have a degree and she's doing a great job as monarch. There's no degree in 'Kinging' so I don't see how academic qualifications are going to be relevant in Charles' performance as King.
That is scary - that a 'job' one is 'born into' requires one to not use one's full capacities. It really is a kind of slave-servitude in a gilded cage. Strange to realize it and have such in our times.

'My very chains and I grew friends,
So much a long communion tends
To make us what we are:—even I
Regained my freedom with a sigh.'

As Charles has said, his parents decided to give him a first class education - and it has resulted in who he is and how he proceeds in life.

No one has answered my post with all my questions - though I was being 'jokey' I was sincere - I do not see why Charles cannot have a personal life and conduct his personal life 'below the radar'. Why not? My point was that that is what the Queen does, not so? What others have done, not so?

All that we know about Charles' views being voiced is because of tabloid journalism making his personal business public and whipping up negative sentiment about it. Am I not correct on this? They don't break ranks about the Queen but Charles seems to be fair game. They are potentially going to try to create a straightjacket for Charles that doesn't even exist for the Queen - my speculation because no one answered my questions. Why would 'they' create a straightjacket? Because Charles is going to the root and stem of the ability of 'the some' to make money at the expense of the whole. I think I am starting to see something here.....

P.S. How can Charles' degree be described in one breath by one person as 'second-rate' and in the next breath by another person as 'honors'? How can there be such a disparity? What is at work in such a wide disagreement?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post

P.S. How can Charles' degree be described in one breath by one person as 'second-rate' and in the next breath by another person as 'honors'? How can there be such a disparity? What is at work in such a wide disagreement?
You mean princessroyal calling it not great and me calling it fantastic?

Prince Charles got a 2:2 Bachelor of Arts honours degree - you cannot get past the honours bit because they are all called that whether it's a first or third class one.
Charles got B's and C's in his A-Levels - which currently is rather hard to get and managed with those grades to get in Cambridge not sure what they wanted back then but now they're wanting A* all the way.

Apparently to some people that's not great - to me it's fantastic.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

You mean princessroyal calling it not great and me calling it fantastic?

Prince Charles got a 2:2 Bachelor of Arts honours degree - you cannot get past the honours bit because they are all called that whether it's a first or third class one.
Charles got B's and C's in his A-Levels - which currently is rather hard to get and managed with those grades to get in Cambridge not sure what they wanted back then but now they're wanting A* all the way.

Apparently to some people that's not great - to me it's fantastic.
Well, I have to disagree there as 25% of all grades were As in my year (2008) and 10% got all As. So currently Bs and Cs are not very hard to get. The percentage is rising all the time which is why they introduced the A* afterwards. It's true that exams were harder in Charles' day and in his day, Cambridge made more EE offers more often. Nowadays, it's at least AAA although Christ college does make EE offers to exceptional students. Average degree classifications vary by subject and university but a 2:1 is generally considered the target if you want to get a good job or get on a good postgraduate course nowadays. Of course, that could also have changed from Charles' day.

Why none of this bothers me is that the requirements of his future role do not necessarily correlate to his academic potential. It's not like Medicine or Law. I don't know whether Charles will be a good or bad King or somewhere in between. The point I am making is that whichever way the monarchy turns out under Charles will not be because he got a 2:2 forty-something years ago.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
All that we know about Charles' views being voiced is because of tabloid journalism making his personal business public and whipping up negative sentiment about it. Am I not correct on this? They don't break ranks about the Queen but Charles seems to be fair game. They are potentially going to try to create a straightjacket for Charles that doesn't even exist for the Queen - my speculation because no one answered my questions. Why would 'they' create a straightjacket? Because Charles is going to the root and stem of the ability of 'the some' to make money at the expense of the whole. I think I am starting to see something here.....
One other thing is that Charles' personal views and accomplishments are not just publicized in the tabloids and press but they've also been published. I have to remark at this time that I had hoped to post a listing of the books he's published over the years. What I did not expect to find actually that it would probably take me a good while to list each and every book he's had published and/or collaborated on. What I will do is at the end of this post is post the link for my search on Amazon.com and all the books will come up. I am totally amazed and at a loss for words. I knew he'd written books but I had no clue he was so well published over the years.

Quote:
To me its just a fact that he's received a higher education. It is his own application of that learning which really matters in the long run and I think if we really bother to look, we would have to admit that Charles' education has been a life long ongoing thing.

Anyways, here's the book search I did. Enjoy!

Amazon.com: Charles Prince of Wales: Books
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Non relevant posts have been deleted.

Let's try to stay on topic.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Well, I have to disagree there as 25% of all grades were As in my year (2008) and 10% got all As. So currently Bs and Cs are not very hard to get. The percentage is rising all the time which is why they introduced the A* afterwards. It's true that exams were harder in Charles' day and in his day, Cambridge made more EE offers more often. Nowadays, it's at least AAA although Christ college does make EE offers to exceptional students. Average degree classifications vary by subject and university but a 2:1 is generally considered the target if you want to get a good job or get on a good postgraduate course nowadays. Of course, that could also have changed from Charles' day.

Why none of this bothers me is that the requirements of his future role do not necessarily correlate to his academic potential. It's not like Medicine or Law. I don't know whether Charles will be a good or bad King or somewhere in between. The point I am making is that whichever way the monarchy turns out under Charles will not be because he got a 2:2 forty-something years ago.

What you must also remember with regards to Charles' school and university results is that he was doing A Levels when they were truly difficult. A Levels now are nowhere near as testing, no matter what the government says. Anyone who has ever analysed papers from 40 years ago with those of today has agreed that this is the case.

Also, schools and universities at that time were not concerned with league tables in the way they are now. It is in the interests of universities in particular to inflate the number of firsts and 2.1s they're handing out in order to move up the rankings. This never used to be the case.

Bs and Cs at A Level at the time Charles was doing them was a very commendable result.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
but she is the daughter-in law of the late princess of wales.
But there is a current Princess of Wales who deserves to be colonel in chief, prior to Catherine. It is more likely that Camilla will never accept the royal and it will go to Catherine when her father in law becomes King.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
But there is a current Princess of Wales who deserves to be colonel in chief, prior to Catherine. It is more likely that Camilla will never accept the royal and it will go to Catherine when her father in law becomes King.
I think most people tend to forget, or overlook, that Camilla is the Princess of Wales despite being known as the Duchess of Cornwall. That title was not taken away from her; she chooses not to use it.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think most people tend to forget, or overlook, that Camilla is the Princess of Wales despite being known as Duchess of Cornwall. That title was not taken away from her; she chooses not to use it.
In a way it was both fate's and Diana's fault. Queen Mary had only been Princess of Wales from 1901 to 1910, Elizabeth the QM and Queen Elizabeth never were Princesses of Wales, while Edward VIII. had not married pre-abdication. Thus for most of the public the title of a Princess of Wales was something rather uncommon. When Charles married Diana, she could make the title her own as there was no real historical precendent in people's minds.

And Diana did a good job in making people believe that "The Princess of Wales" did not need a prince as husband but just was herself. Otherwise I can't explain why people post that Catherine should become Royal Colonal of the PWRR because she is "The Princess of Wales's daughter-in-law". Which is not true: she is the daughter-in-law of THe Prince of Wales who is himself married and has a princess-wife, even though said Princess of Wales chose not to use this title of hers.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
And Diana did a good job in making people believe that "The Princess of Wales" did not need a prince as husband but just was herself. Otherwise I can't explain why people post that Catherine should become Royal Colonal of the PWRR because she is "The Princess of Wales's daughter-in-law". Which is not true: she is the daughter-in-law of THe Prince of Wales who is himself married and has a princess-wife, even though said Princess of Wales chose not to use this title of hers.
My thoughts would be that in this type of a situation one would say that Kate's mother in law was A Princess of Wales as there is a current wife of The Prince of Wales that holds the title? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can help out here?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think most people tend to forget, or overlook, that Camilla is the Princess of Wales despite being known as the Duchess of Cornwall. That title was not taken away from her; she chooses not to use it.
she chooses not to use the title of princess os wales or was queen's desition?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Nobility

Out of respect for the memory of Diana, it was Camilla's choice not to use the title of Princess of Wales, and also out of respect for and understanding of those who loved Diana.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Out of respect for the memory of Diana, it was Camilla's choice not to use the title of Princess of Wales, and also out of respect for and understanding of those who loved Diana.
I can not remember the text of the announcement of the engagement, when they said they would be known as duchess. really I don`t remenber.
But I think that was queen`s election.
any way, I would have liked to see kate as a colonel. William come to malvinas the next month, kate will be in wales ???
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
sorry, the discussion about camilla's title is sooooo old like the title of lady louise. both are princess (camilla por marriage and louise born princess) but place said another thing. sorry for going out of discsuuion about catherine's current events
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I can not remember the text of the announcement of the engagement, when they said they would be known as duchess. really I don`t remenber.
any way, I would have liked to see kate as a colonel. William come to malvinas the next month, kate will be in wales ???
It was announced that the title of "Princess Consort" was considered instead of "Princess of Wales", but the decision was made not to use it. Perhaps that's what you're remembering. There was no decision by the Queen regarding the title of Duchess of Cornwall being used.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
It was announced that the title of "Princess Consort" was considered instead of "Princess of Wales", but the decision was made not to use it. Perhaps that's what you're remembering. There was no decision by the Queen regarding the title of Duchess of Cornwall being used.
but the title of princess consort not was when charles become king?
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Point is that AFAIK the regiment was not named for Diana but is a regiment in honour of the dynastic position of the wife of The Prince of Wales as the future queen.
From what I've heard, the current regiment was named in honour of Diana, Princess of Wales. It was formed in 1992.

Quote:
Camilla chose to use the title The Duchess of Cornwall, certain people remark that she chose to use DOC to reflect that when Charles becomes King she would choose to be known by the 'lesser' title HRH The Princess Consort. However it is widely believed it is because of the POWs links to Diana.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v