The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've never heard anyone other than "diana fans" says that Camilla should not be crowned. Have you heard these statements first hand or read them? I am genuinely interested in who's said something like that as it's quite obivous that I am very pro- Queen Camilla.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Courtier

Let the spirits of fate decide... If Camilla TRUELY deserves to be Queen, I am sure she will be.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong - the wife of Charles will be crowned Queen when he becomes King. Has there ever been a situation where the 'mood' of the public - and a fraction of the public - has determined the succession? If the 'mood' of a part of the general public were to impact something as personal (marriage) and fundamental as crowning, would that not then be a fundamental change in the monarchy? Is that the way changes are made - by 'mood' of a part of the general public? Is the statement that she will never be crowned Queen realistic?
The 'mood' of the public managed to get Camilla off the invitation list for the official Diana memorial what I found quite astonishing.
I have nothing against Camilla, I guess she will become Queen consort and the BRF have made their peace with her and this whole situation.

All I am saying is that the public mood is not to be underestimated and can only be influenced by the BRF to a certain degree. It will pretty much depend on the circumstances at the time and the interest of powers that are in the UK at the time when HM passes. I wouldnt expect any problems then but who knows, sometimes the devil is in the detail.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
I think I do agree with you Renata. It is not a case of who Camilla is but RATHER how she came to the present position she holds. From a bankrupt mistress to a Dutchess is quite a leap for any individual. I often wonder if she would still be with Charles if he had not "bailed" her out of her financial disaster.

Lilly Langtry never became Queen so why should Camilla? Charles may insist that she be crowned but I doubt if she will ever be truely accepted by the people as Queen. The support of the monarchy does after all lie in the hands of the people. This has nothing to do with Diana but rather our proud British heritage.
Camilla was NEVER bankrupt (where do these factoids come from!?) In the 1990s, Camilla, along with thousands of others such as the Princess Alexandra and the Duke and Duchess of Kent, lost a great deal of money through Lloyds of London. But she was never bankrupt and she never lost ALL her money, the money she did loose was from her inheritance from wealthy grandparents and great-grandparents. Charles didn't have to bail her out, Camilla had her own money and money from her divorce and she bought Raymill House for herself and to leave to her children.

Charles can insist all he likes, but it's not his decision whether or not Camilla gets the title Queen. It's the government of the day, which is the standard line from him. It's the government who decide, just like it was the government of the day who removed Edward VIII as king, he abdicated but it was an Act of Parliament the following day that actually removed him as king. For Camilla not to be crowned Queen will need an Act of Parliament.

Your proud British heritage has had a number of less than virtuous monarchs. Edward VII had multiple mistresses and was crowned king, and was a very good king at that. George I was divorced, George IV hated his wife so much he tried to have her barred from his coronation, it didn't work she still became Queen. People's memories are short, younger people are around who have no real living memory of the "war of the Wales" let alone the infidelities by all involved. Charles and Camilla are just 2 old people who are married, he gets to be King when his mother dies, she's married to a king so gets to be queen.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Camilla was NEVER bankrupt (where do these factoids come from!?) In the 1990s, Camilla, along with thousands of others such as the Princess Alexandra and the Duke and Duchess of Kent, lost a great deal of money through Lloyds of London. But she was never bankrupt and she never lost ALL her money, the money she did loose was from her inheritance from wealthy grandparents and great-grandparents. Charles didn't have to bail her out, Camilla had her own money and money from her divorce and she bought Raymill House for herself and to leave to her children.

Charles can insist all he likes, but it's not his decision whether or not Camilla gets the title Queen. It's the government of the day, which is the standard line from him. It's the government who decide, just like it was the government of the day who removed Edward VIII as king, he abdicated but it was an Act of Parliament the following day that actually removed him as king. For Camilla not to be crowned Queen will need an Act of Parliament.

Your proud British heritage has had a number of less than virtuous monarchs. Edward VII had multiple mistresses and was crowned king, and was a very good king at that. George I was divorced, George IV hated his wife so much he tried to have her barred from his coronation, it didn't work she still became Queen. People's memories are short, younger people are around who have no real living memory of the "war of the Wales" let alone the infidelities by all involved. Charles and Camilla are just 2 old people who are married, he gets to be King when his mother dies, she's married to a king so gets to be queen.
Hear! Hear!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
George IV hated his wife so much he tried to have her barred from his coronation, it didn't work she still became Queen.

Becoming Queen and being crowned are two different things.

Yes George IV's wife became Queen but he most certainly was able to deny her entry to the Coronation. She was NOT crowned at the coronation but she had been Queen since the instant George IV became King.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
wonder if he will be Charles III or George VII
ahhhh.....very good..........that is a very good question.....!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Definitely not Charles III, because of the fate of the first Charles. I heard it on the BBC some time ago.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

well thats really just speculation isnt it
Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
In my mind, she will be crowned Queen, Diana lovers and general moaners will natter away for a few weeks then disappear. Just like at the engagement and wedding.
Have you met every single Diana lover and asked them if he or she has a problem with Camilla being queen. I certainly don't mind in fact I could care less. There are far more important issues going on in this world than worrying about a woman receiving a crown on her head.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
wonder if he will be Charles III or George VII
I think King Charles sounds very nice - why wouldn't he use his own name?

I guess this is the part I don't understand - why would he choose the name 'George'? Seems like an out-of-the-blue name to me.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I guess this is the part I don't understand - why would he choose the name 'George'? Seems like an out-of-the-blue name to me.
There is no requirement for a monarch to use the name he or she was given at birth. It is rare for a king or queen to do so but it has happened in the past. For example, Prince Albert (Victoria's son) chose to be known as Edward VII and Bertie, his grandson, chose to be known as George VI, probably in honor of his father, George V. I believe Queen Victoria's name at birth was Alexandrina Victoria and she chose Victoria as her name.

In my opinion, Charles will not shy away from any bad connotation surrounding the name Charles and will probably be styled Charles III.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I am on the fence with the name thing.

As Charles usually tries to do things his way, I can see him going by Charles III...and not worrying about the legacies of Charles I (beheaded) and II (not being known for much other than having affairs and all those illegitimate kids).

On the other hand, I can also see him trying to continue the legacy of his mother and as a tribute to her (maybe) going by the name of her beloved father, George VII. I also don't think that the BRF is superstitious by nature, but it appears (no real proof) that there are certain names that aren't repeated (i.e. John, Clarence, Windsor, etc.) ...so maybe he might not want to use the name of Charles.

But at the end of the day, he will be called is Sir, His Majesty, Papa, Charles (by his family), etc. So it might not matter at all.

Also, Bertie chose George VI to for continuity ---- a comfortable name for the British as his father, George V was a respected name and monarch, and to show some stability after the Abdication of Edward VIII.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Definitely not Charles III, because of the fate of the first Charles. I heard it on the BBC some time ago.

What you heard was some speculation that has been repeated continually since the mid-70s but until the Accession Council is held and he announces his regnal name we simply don't know.

I believe he discussed this option with some 'friends' and one or more of them reported the George VII comment but it has not come directly from Charles as it isn't yet the appropriate time for him to announce that decision.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
There is no requirement for a monarch to use the name he or she was given at birth. It is rare for a king or queen to do so but it has happened in the past. For example, Prince Albert (Victoria's son) chose to be known as Edward VII and Bertie, his grandson, chose to be known as George VI, probably in honor of his father, George V. I believe Queen Victoria's name at birth was Alexandrina Victoria and she chose Victoria as her name.

In my opinion, Charles will not shy away from any bad connotation surrounding the name Charles and will probably be styled Charles III.
Edward VII was never actually known as Prince Albert but as Prince Albert Edward - to distinguish him from his father.

It was his mother's wish that he would reign as Prince Albert Edward and throughout her reign that was the name that was expected and there was some criticism of him that the first decision he made was to go against his mother's wishes with his regnal name.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd prefer that he go by Charles III, personally. However, George is one of his given names. Remember Diana stumbling over "Charles Philip Arthur George"?

Quote:
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Edward VII was never actually known as Prince Albert but as Prince Albert Edward - to distinguish him from his father.

It was his mother's wish that he would reign as Prince Albert Edward and throughout her reign that was the name that was expected and there was some criticism of him that the first decision he made was to go against his mother's wishes with his regnal name.
I don't think he much like the name Albert and in George VI's, defense, there was never a King Albert and he had enough problems without using a strange name. Charles is Charles, why he would call himself anything else is? Also, strange. But......As for Camilla, say what you want, but she will be queen. I am no fan, but it is true.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hopefully he'll go by George VII; as for Camilla, I expect she will be crowned, there is no reason to prevent her from it. The only thing I think could prevent it is if Camilla herself would prefer to be Queen in name only.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Serene Highness

When I think of the other Charles I & II, I think of centuries ago and I don't associate Prince Charles with them or their activities. Charles is not a common name for a monarch. George, Edward are. If he wanted to be different, he would keep his name. Will be interesting in the future what name he picks. When is this actually done? Right before he is coronated?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Courtier

It would seem strange to me if Charles chose another name as king, especially given how old he's going to be when he's crowned. He's been known, in his official life and privately, as Charles all his life; I think expecting the public and press to start calling him a completely different name when he's close to 70 years old is probably unrealistic.

Tags
british, camilla, charles of wales, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, titles