The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberivs View Post
Even if Charles didn't predecease his mother I think by now he understand that he's a failure.
Why should he? If someone wrote that who only half the hours worked for other people, charities, help for young people, hospitals, local businesses etc. that Charles has worked in his life I would think this person is crazy not to realise how much he or she had done for the community. There are soo many people who have a reason to be thankful to the prince while William is opnly starting his life as a charity patron.

Even if the tabloids are not always honest on reporting about the reception Charles and his wife Camilla receive when they arrive for a Royal engagement, then there is enough private coverage on YOU Tube to account that both are deeply loved and admired by many, many people. And many more will love them once they are benevolent king and queen. It's only partly their personality, another part is the aura of the monarchy.

So why should he tink he is a failure? Of course, there are people who cannot believe in their own worth, but I hope that neither Charles nor Camilla belong to them.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder whether Charles would see it like that. I suspect that he feels he has made a contribution to the monarchy and the people.
He has carved out his niche and has created projects which will endure.

In any case, it's quite possible that the current Queen might live as long as the Queen Mother.....

Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Why should he? If someone wrote that who only half the hours worked for other people, charities, help for young people, hospitals, local businesses etc. that Charles has worked in his life I would think this person is crazy not to realise how much he or she had done for the community. There are soo many people who have a reason to be thankful to the prince while William is opnly starting his life as a charity patron.

Even if the tabloids are not always honest on reporting about the reception Charles and his wife Camilla receive when they arrive for a Royal engagement, then there is enough private coverage on YOU Tube to account that both are deeply loved and admired by many, many people. And many more will love them once they are benevolent king and queen. It's only partly their personality, another part is the aura of the monarchy.

So why should he tink he is a failure? Of course, there are people who cannot believe in their own worth, but I hope that neither Charles nor Camilla belong to them.
1. His life mission is to be king, this what matter and not his activities as Prince of Wales.

2. Is unpopularity is very much a fact, maybe not as bad as some people try to make it but it is exist. Every article about him fill with negative comments from readers (and not just the anti-monarchist crowd), another proof is the widely popular demand to skip a generation and transfer the crown directly to William.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberivs View Post
1. His life mission is to be king, this what matter and not his activities as Prince of Wales.

2. Is unpopularity is very much a fact, maybe not as bad as some people try to make it but it is exist. Every article about him fill with negative comments from readers (and not just the anti-monarchist crowd), another proof is the widely popular demand to skip a generation and transfer the crown directly to William.
Why should his life mission be to be king alone? As if no heir to a throne has ever done something worth remembering even if he didn't become king. Just think of the Black Prince... But even if it were thusly: why then is CHarles a failure? He never was king, so how do you (or he himself as you wanted him to realise that he is a failure already) judge his kingship?

No person is loved by anyone - and it is good that way. But when one day after Charles demise somebody opens the great book about his life and holds judgment - I guess there will be much more positive entries and much people speaking up for him than against him. He is neither God nor Superman, he is just a man born into a position who took the chances life gave him and used them to help others and the environment. He is honestly trying to do what he was born for: protect the UK and keep it in order for his successor. I doubt William will inherit one day a badly run kingdom due to his father's misdeeds (maybe because his father's government did not always decided on the right choice) but he will surely inherit the duchy of Cornwall run as good as possible with respect to its people and its land.

There are so many good things to say about Charles and even though he surely is not perfect but at least he tried. But then I believe he tried with his first wife as long as he could (as I said, he is a sinner, not a saint like most of us) and has shown that he is able to have a loving relationship with a wife and his children.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
I wonder whether Charles would see it like that. I suspect that he feels he has made a contribution to the monarchy and the people.
He has carved out his niche and has created projects which will endure.

In any case, it's quite possible that the current Queen might live as long as the Queen Mother.....
But even then Charles would not have reached the life expectancy of around 78 in 2011 of the Uk and with his healthy lifestyle and the medical care he has had at his disposal all of his life he probably will become much older than that. While his mother falls into a category I once read an interesting article about: the widow or widower of a once happily married couple in a longterm marriage will not survive the other for very long. In general, that is (statistics). We just saw that with Otto von Habsburg, who only survived his wife of 60 years for one year. So we have to consider the Duke of Edinburgh as well as the fact that Charles has two long-living parents....
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Charles has lived a lifetime with knowing that one day he will be King. As the years pass by, I think all of us could look back on our lives and see areas where we made mistakes and also weigh the good we did also. Charles has never sat back and just waited for his time to reign to come. In fact, from what I know about Charles and how passionately he works on what is important to him, his passions probably would fuel his wish that his mother continues to have a long and healthy reign for many more years to come. By the time he DOES become King, he will have his programs running smoothly, have his thoughts and opinions out there and bearing fruit (organic of course - pun intended) and will be able to step into his role as King with ease.

One just has to look at all the photos day to day of his engagements and see how happy he is and how much he genuinely likes what it is he is doing. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that historically he's done more as a Prince of Wales than many of his forerunners holding that title. This is definitely a man that did not sit back and say "when I am King I will..." but rather a man that saw a need and jumped into action implementing what was needed. As HM ages and Charles fills in more and more, we're going to see a man comfortable in his own skin and assured that he will do his best to be what he's been training for over 60 years to be.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Aristocracy

I think Charles will make a good king.

There is no doubt that the craziness of the Diana years will affect his popularity, especially amongst the Diana "fans", but I think Charles is a good and decent man who is a very good Prince of Wales and will be thought a fine king - except by the rabid "he did her wrong" romance novel readers who carry the Diana torch with such ferocity.

From what I can see he is hard working, intelligent and interested. Sure he has his eccentricities and the now and again odd behavior we read about - but even HMTQ would have had such tabloid issues were she a young monarch in waiting during the so-called information age.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
I think Charles will make a good king.

There is no doubt that the craziness of the Diana years will affect his popularity, especially amongst the Diana "fans", but I think Charles is a good and decent man who is a very good Prince of Wales and will be thought a fine king - except by the rabid "he did her wrong" romance novel readers who carry the Diana torch with such ferocity.

From what I can see he is hard working, intelligent and interested. Sure he has his eccentricities and the now and again odd behavior we read about - but even HMTQ would have had such tabloid issues were she a young monarch in waiting during the so-called information age.
Copy that. And I would only add that with the Duchess of Cornwall by his side as a true helpmate, he can only be a successful monarch (though long may QEII reign!!).
Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if he'll be a much more outspoken King than the current Queen is (he does like to give speeches and I, for one, think he's very good at it - and his causes are the ones the world should embrace). He seems to take his political role seriously (although staying within the bounds of ordinary discourse/use of media and availability of venues to make his points.

That would be great, really - to see him turn the Crown into a role where he could speak out as he does now, but with an even greater impact.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

I for one would hope that Charles would step aside and not become King, largely due to his political views. I am politically on the right and have greatly enjoyed some of the things that he's done (such as not inviting any Labour PMs to William and Kate's wedding), but a King should not do such things--it's best that the citizenry have no idea what a monarch's political views are. Queen Elizabeth and King Michael of Romania are two of the best monarchs today since their political views are a total mystery.

A King's role is to be a national symbol, a uniter of people and a check on tyranny. When Charles spouts off his political views, he fails at the first two of those roles. If he wants to be active in the political realm, then he should run for elected office rather than serve as royalty.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I wonder if he'll be a much more outspoken King than the current Queen is (he does like to give speeches and I, for one, think he's very good at it - and his causes are the ones the world should embrace). He seems to take his political role seriously (although staying within the bounds of ordinary discourse/use of media and availability of venues to make his points.

That would be great, really - to see him turn the Crown into a role where he could speak out as he does now, but with an even greater impact.
I actually think Charles being unable to resist the temptation to speak out is the one thing most likely to come between him and a successful reign. The British monarch, as head of state, can't be seen as having any sort of agenda to push.

I think Charles seems like an intelligent man with an interesting point of view on different issues. There are ways he could incorporate some of his pet causes and interests into his reign as king and I think as long as he doesn't do it in a way that could be construed as political or partisan it would be fine. But it's a fine line and I wonder if Charles is too self indulgent to understand where that line is and why he absolutely can't cross it.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles has had a very long time in training. He is probably better prepared for kingship that any of his predecessors in history. I am very sure he understands the constraints that will take over his life the moment he accends the throne.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

One never knows, until one is faced with the "real" situation. Charles is Charles, an overindulged, never openly loved child, who married his real mother. How he handles his kingship, will be evident, when he is faced with it. Do not surmise.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
One never knows, until one is faced with the "real" situation. Charles is Charles, an overindulged, never openly loved child, who married his real mother. How he handles his kingship, will be evident, when he is faced with it. Do not surmise.
I think it's really important we be really respectful of people and not listen to tabloids and rumours. I think Charles has made his mistakes and yes he probably was spoiled, but I don't think that diminshes the things he has done through advocacy and charity work. He isn't my favorite really, but I do respect him. Also, I think Camilla makes him immensely happy and he seems more comfortable with his life and with himself than ever. That said:
I really don't think Charles is too overly political now. Sure he gives his opinion here and there and supports and advocates for different causes, but I think that is what makes him admirable. I think he will be a different kind of king and advocate and bring to light many causes and issues often overlooked.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I for one would hope that Charles would step aside and not become King, largely due to his political views. I am politically on the right and have greatly enjoyed some of the things that he's done (such as not inviting any Labour PMs to William and Kate's wedding), but a King should not do such things--it's best that the citizenry have no idea what a monarch's political views are. Queen Elizabeth and King Michael of Romania are two of the best monarchs today since their political views are a total mystery.

A King's role is to be a national symbol, a uniter of people and a check on tyranny. When Charles spouts off his political views, he fails at the first two of those roles. If he wants to be active in the political realm, then he should run for elected office rather than serve as royalty.
Are you able to provide an example of when Charles has spouted a "political view"? IMO he has never let his own political views be known, and has always engaged with the governments of the day, irrespective of their political leanings. He may set out his thoughts on some of the matters of the day, but never in a political way.

The only former PMs invited to the royal wedding were Garter Knights, both Blair and Brown were not. The Garter is in the gift of HM, and not the PoW.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
When Charles spouts off his political views, he fails at the first two of those roles. If he wants to be active in the political realm, then he should run for elected office rather than serve as royalty.
Charles at the moment is not the souverain but a peer of the realm. Which was an active political role till the reform of the House of Lords and would allow him today to actively run for political office.

The main idea to create Royal Dukes was for the Crown to get political influence through creating Royal commoner princes into peers with a right to a seat and to vote in the House of Lords which for a long time had been the more influencial chamber of British parliament. More often than no this possibility was not used as the Royal family always felt they should be above politics, but it served as a kind of threat to parliament that they could in fact be active there if they wanted.

Charles AFAIK never took his seat at the Lords but he is a politcally interested and active man- which he should be. Because even though he tries in a political way to do what his ancestors did as well: care for their subjects and the country, he tries to do it above the system of party politics - he is himself his opwn "interest group" and he lobbies and acts according to his belief. He advises openly, when as king he will advice behind the Royal curtain, but it's the advice that counts from someone who by tradition was born to be the keeper of the kingdom.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry to say this, but I hope that Charles does not become King in my lifetime...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Are you able to provide an example of when Charles has spouted a "political view"?
Sure, for one:

'Follow the Islamic way to save the world,' Charles urges environmentalists | Mail Online

Royal mania continues: Prince Charles heads to the Hill - On Congress - POLITICO.com

And lots more. I agree with many of his views, but he should stay out of these matters.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 AM
Heir Apparent

That presents him with an unsolvable problem.
Someone once said, "Life is politics, and politics is life".

Which bits of "life" would he be allowed to get involved in ?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am not sure how highlighting environemental concerns represents a political view - would you like to explain your point?

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v