The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree the public mood for a wedding between C&C was uncertain at the time of the announcement of the engagement. The idea of "Princess Consort" was really a bit of a sop to the situation (and I suspect, probably required), but I think the public mood has since softened considerably towards Camilla, and in time, she should be Queen. Whether the recent comments by both C & C were specifically orchestrated or not to get us adjusted to the concept of Queen Camilla, we will not know - but I do think the longer it is before HM passes on, the more likely it is that the publicly will happily accept her as queen.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I like them both, particularly the Duchess. I just don't much admire the situation.

The concept of buttering up the masses to get what they want does not appeal to me in the slightest and I can't help but believe that's exactly what's happened here.

And yet, if the Queen should live another 10 years, then why even bother trying to change her title. Even I, someone who has always been in favour of Camilla holding a lesser style (and my reasons for holding this view are well documented and not in the slightest mean spirited or contemptable) will I'm sure not even care by that time.

I just think if it's truly their intention then just say it will happen and if it's not, then scrap it.

How hard could it be to renounce an intention that was never really likely to ever happen anyway?! It was easy enough to put it out there and it would be just as easy to formulate a credible response detailing the reasons why it's not likely to occur. That any confirmation would be backed by government, and it would be I'm sure, then who's going to question it really...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

The issue is out there, and unlikley to dissappear in a hurry. It would be odd if they delibrately brought it up now with a view to retracting the "intention", as the timing of Charles' accession is unknown. IMO, they are better off leaving the issue unesolved, and based on p[opular opinion at the time of Charles' accession, address it accordingly.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I could not agree more Mme Royal in regard to post 433.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Commoner

I think Prince Charles would make a good king - we should give him a chance to prove himself - who knows he may turn out to be loved by all
Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen jones View Post
I think Prince Charles would make a good king - we should give him a chance to prove himself - who knows he may turn out to be loved by all

110 years ago, when Edward VII inherited the throne, there were editorials about his life and whether he was up to the job. Within a very short period of time he proved not only that he was up to the job but that he was as popular as his mother - and he had a number of well-known and reported faults as well.

I think that anti-Charles people are very vocal but the majority of people will come out in support when the time comes.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that is an interesting analogy.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Cornwall deserves her proper title - Telegraph
Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting. I think I love Charles Kidd.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince of Wales 'more popular choice for king than Prince William' - Telegraph

Prince of Wales 'more popular choice for king than Prince William'

The Prince of Wales is the most popular choice to be the next King for the first time in six years, a poll shows, while support for the monarchy is swelling
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

The Prince of Wales is the most popular choice to be the next King for the first time in six years, a poll shows, while support for the monarchy is swelling
This is a heartening thing to see. I think both Charles and Camilla are going to do great as King and Queen and this will also be a good period for William to step up and learn the ropes so to speak as Charles did under his mother's reign. This is a very positive thing for the monarchy.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

Interesting reading, although I should point out (perhaps unnecessarily) that who ascend to the Throne is not a matter of election (although very indirectly the people do have a say via the Parliament, who can modify the Act of Settlement in 1701).

Still it's good to hear that people are more accepting of PoW.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The premise for the poll is silly. The succession line should never be questioned.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The premise for the poll is silly. The succession line should never be questioned.
People have the right to their opinions. They have the right to question whether the heir to the throne will make a good king or not. They are not an absolute monarchy.

I think the poll shows that Diana's memory is finally being laid to rest. I think for way too many years Charles was villianized by people, for how his marriage ended. And the fact he married Camilla never helped, the woman he cheated on 'the princess of hearts' with. Charles is not his affair, and both he and Diana made mistakes in that marriage. Charles is a good man, who has proven he is a good Prince, with the best interests of his people in mind. With his work for organic farming and other activities, he has proven he will be a progressive king. Though I hope the queen lives for another 10-15 years, a nice long life like her mother, I don't doubt Charles will do his mother proud as King, for how ever long his reign may be.

Besides William is not ready. The time for his dad to be King will help. He will get to be Prince of Wales (well when his dad appoints him) and will get to learn the ropes like his dad did.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment put forward by Melissaadrian - whilst it is not for the people to choose who the next monarch might be, they are justified in setting out their views.

That said, there are lies, damn lies and opinion polls!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
People have the right to their opinions. They have the right to question whether the heir to the throne will make a good king or not. They are not an absolute monarchy.

I think the poll shows that Diana's memory is finally being laid to rest. I think for way too many years Charles was villianized by people, for how his marriage ended. And the fact he married Camilla never helped, the woman he cheated on 'the princess of hearts' with. Charles is not his affair, and both he and Diana made mistakes in that marriage. Charles is a good man, who has proven he is a good Prince, with the best interests of his people in mind. With his work for organic farming and other activities, he has proven he will be a progressive king. Though I hope the queen lives for another 10-15 years, a nice long life like her mother, I don't doubt Charles will do his mother proud as King, for how ever long his reign may be.

Besides William is not ready. The time for his dad to be King will help. He will get to be Prince of Wales (well when his dad appoints him) and will get to learn the ropes like his dad did.
I do agree with the sentiment too regarding opinion polls, etc. However I think in the case that something horrible even happen (and I hope not!!) and both the Queen and PoW passed away far sooner than anyone expect, the new King William will adapt quickly and be a successful monarch like his grandmother. After all, the Queen ascended to the Throne at the age of 25 and she has done marvelous job.

Granted things were quite different back then compared to today, but I have the feeling that Prince William will step up if necessary. However let's hope we never have to find out how well he can step up on on such a short notice though.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

In my personal opinion ...

Prince Charles' inability to deal with a private life has no bearing on his place in the succession line. The succession line is rooted in the orthodox traditions that should not be altered without really really good reasons.
Well ... perhaps my viewed are outdated ... Next I would take my wild guess ... people should choose the best among a monarch's children to succeed.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Charles' inability to deal with a private life has no bearing on his place in the succession line. The succession line is rooted in the orthodox traditions that should not be altered without really really good reasons.
Well ... perhaps my viewed are outdated ... Next I would take my wild guess ... people should choose the best among a monarch's children to succeed.
Al-bina, pehaps you are missing the point here. Nobody is suggesting that people be given the right to choose future monarchs, or alter the line of succession in any way. All that is being suggested is that the public has views on who should succeed, not that those views can be accomodated without an act of parliament that is not being contemplated.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not missing the point. So what if the public wishes King Henry instead King Charles? Is the UK parliament going to accommodate the public? All these polls remind me of dirty presidential campaigns. Perhaps there are some reasons for the polls I am unaware of.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am not missing the point. So what if the public wishes King Henry instead King Charles? Is the UK parliament going to accommodate the public? All those polls reminds me of dirty presidential campaigns. Perhaps there are some reasons for the polls I am unaware of.
No, no succession laws are going to be changed, and the line of succession will remain as it is, Too bad if people want a King other than Charles. All the polls are doing is giving us an indication of where popular support lies. This is only relevant because the relative popularity of Charles has been in question since his marriage broke down (The War of the Wales'), despite all the good work he continues to do.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v