The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 AM
Majesty

To describe republicans as rebels is over the top. They are patriots who see a different future for their country than having a Head of State who lives on the other side of the world.

Actually there have been many announcments from them, including the present PM during the last election campaign (you know the one we had last August) in which she said that Queen Elizabeth should be our last monarch, Julia Gillard says Queen Elizabeth should be Australia's last monarch | Herald Sun, a view held by many people.

I voted for the monarchy in 1999 but would vote for a republic now and in the future as I don't think having a foreigner as Head of State is appropriate for a modern country. To you I am a rebel. I prefer to see myself as an Australia you has changed their views on the monarchy and its role in Australia - fine in Britain but not here.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
To describe republicans as rebels is over the top.
As a tongue in cheek expression it certainly found it's mark.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
To describe republicans as rebels is over the top. They are patriots who see a different future for their country than having a Head of State who lives on the other side of the world.
I have heard that argument used many times before about no foreign leader as head of another country. Why do you think that everyone wishes to wait until another monarch takes over before the switch to a republic? Is it easier for the government or is it more of a popularity issue? For example: the Queen is popular but Charles maybe is not? I am just curious.

Also, does anyone know about the Republic movement in the UK? How strong is that one?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Also, does anyone know about the Republic movement in the UK? How strong is that one?
Ultimately, about as strong as a soggy teabag.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Ultimately, about as strong as a soggy teabag.

You've summed it up very well.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

In the case of Australia and the Queen, I think it is the case that the Queen is popular and held in the highest regard. She has been Queen of Australia for nearly 60 years, so she was Queen before a very large chunk, if not the majority, of the population was born. She is also an attractive woman - beautiful in her youth - and has always behaved like a lady and has never done anything outrageous or been outspoken. I think many people believe it would be an insullt to her to take steps to dump her and they don't want to be rude to someone who reminds them of their mother or grandmother. Charles is seen as fair game, though, for various reasons.

And it is also easier for a government to put off the change for as long as possible. Changing us to a republic is going to take a lot of time and effort and will cost money. It's in the "too hard" basket for now.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
As a tongue in cheek expression it certainly found it's mark.

As we only have the written words in front of us and no facial expressions or real knowledge of the posters we can't assume things are 'tongue in check' sorry - I have trouble with that when I can see the person and know them. Here everything can only be taken as literal - sorry for that but anything else isn't possible.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Am I the only one who thinks if Charles inherits the throne, Britain will be a Republic in no time?
I'm rather surprised that you would join a forum of royal watchers when you have in your signature that you want all monarchies abolished, ESPECIALLY the Windsors.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I would say just the reverse. Charles will be the one to change the monarchy and press it forward into the 21st century - he has the intelligence and the capacities developed over a lifetime of entrepreneurial and managerial endeavor. There is nothing placid about Charles. ... [snipped]
Well ... you might be correct. In my personal opinion, Prince Charles is not Steven Jobs, who can re-invigorate the monarchy in some unknown way and "press it forward into the 21st century". What exactly could he do? On the other hand, Prince Charles would have made a nice Governor of California.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
In the case of Australia and the Queen, I think it is the case that the Queen is popular and held in the highest regard. She has been Queen of Australia for nearly 60 years, so she was Queen before a very large chunk, if not the majority, of the population was born. She is also an attractive woman - beautiful in her youth - and has always behaved like a lady and has never done anything outrageous or been outspoken. I think many people believe it would be an insullt to her to take steps to dump her and they don't want to be rude to someone who reminds them of their mother or grandmother. Charles is seen as fair game, though, for various reasons.

And it is also easier for a government to put off the change for as long as possible. Changing us to a republic is going to take a lot of time and effort and will cost money. It's in the "too hard" basket for now.

Thanks for the explanation. One wonder how the Queen has always been the face of decorum while her family has struggled. I am going to chalk that up to media attention which has had an impact on the way the family is viewed worldwide both in a good and bad way.

As for the whole republic bit and commenting on the forums. I don't think it is odd. Royals are often perceived to be celebrities. It is one thing to say I like somebody but another thing to say I am willing to pay for them

As an American, Al Bina, you made me laugh with your comments about the Governor.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Aristocracy

I was bitterly disappointed when HRH's services were declined. I've often felt that things would have turned out for the better for Australia if that opportunity to have had a visionary in his prime as G-G had not been lost.

Next governor-general could be Prince Harry, William | News.com.au
Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I was bitterly disappointed when HRH's services were declined. I've often felt that things would have turned out for the better for Australia if that opportunity to have had a visionary in his prime as G-G had not been lost.
That article is over a year old.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Majesty

By the time Charles was old enough to be considered Australia had moved away from having foreigners in that position and Charles will, like the rest of his family, will always now be seen as foreigners.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yep. The time had long passed for an English Prince to be our G-G when Charles was apparently interested. No way in the wide world would one of his sons be considered for the post now, though I suspect the Australian Republican Movement would just love to see one of them try.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Serene Highness

A 1985 Documentary....

I have spent a delightful evening watching a 1985 documentary with a couple of friends - Prince & Princess of Wales - In Public & Private on YouTube. (Love that YouTube!). I want to mention that I have never been a 'fan' of Prince Charles. Saying that, I have never been an 'unfan', either. Since I am interested in a certain aspect of his first wife's life, I have found myself watching a series of videos and this documentary had me sitting up and really looking at Charles.

I was directed to some YouTube documentaries and interviews and found this one which I found riveting, especially the footage showing Charles going about his 'work'. This is the first footage I've seen of him showing him in such a relaxed and positive light - engaging and quite charming, to boot. Fabulous smile!

What comes across in this footage for me is: 1) how in shape he is! yes, I noticed - and he's not really all that bad looking; 2) how truly intelligent and naturally engaged he is with the public aspect of his role - I had not really been aware that he is actually a charming man; 3) how in-depth - and seriously comprehensive - his 'work' internationally has been; 4) what artistic sensibilities Charles has that have developed Highgrove into a very handsome property; and 5) what a truly sensitive and caring father he is. (All these were surprises to me given 'the press' about him over the decades - at least here in the US - especially the last. I surmised as much from what I was seeing in regards the grown William and Harry, that he was a good father, but its very clear that he was a good father from the get-go. What one sees here is a very gentle man, comfortable with his sons and they with him. It was noticeable how much Harry favored his father - I'm not saying 'over and above' anyone else just that its clear that Harry - at two years - was eager to be in 'Poppa's' arms - very sweet. That says a lot about his parenting.)

Prince & Princess of Wales - In Public & Private (1985 documentary) Part 9 - the part about Charles begins at 4:30 into the segment -

Prince & Princess of Wales - In Public & Private (1985 documentary) Part 10 - the guy really was in shape! Yes, I noticed that again - especially on a polo pony! Impressive -

Prince & Princess of Wales - In Public & Private (1985 documentary) Part 11 - that polo pony ride, hmmm.....

I think I've been charmed! I am in love. Ha! Anyway, Charles is not an ignorant, lay-about man. He's a gem really. I think he will be a very intelligent King, an interesting one, and one who will impact the monarchy in significant - and healthy - ways. Just from these clips one can see his innate talent. He's even more seasoned now - can only get better.

The thought occurred to me that he might be a throw-back to his great-great-great grandfather, Prince Albert. (Too many 'greats' there?) Seems to have the same savvy, same interest in their current times.

I look forward to his reign. It will be fascinating to watch.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Well ... you might be correct. In my personal opinion, Prince Charles is not Steven Jobs, who can re-invigorate the monarchy in some unknown way and "press it forward into the 21st century". What exactly could he do? On the other hand, Prince Charles would have made a nice Governor of California.
Ha! Governor of California!

Prince Charles is not Steven Jobs - you miss my meaning or perhaps are not acquainted with the nature of Charles' Trust initiatives? Charles has taken what he has and become a facilitator for innumerable initiatives of his own. Do you not know of the work of the Prince's Trust? Impressive organization, impressive effectiveness. Charles has been a man very much of his generation albeit Royal and English so it becomes clouded. The British Press has been very low-brow - even ignorant - in its coverage - and criticism - of Charles, I'm now coming to believe.

I don't know what Charles will do in the 21st Century as King, but he is by far someone exceedingly well-equipped - in intelligence and skills, firmly bedded in a life-time of real work, as a CEO type - to re-define the monarchy for current times. Britain has 'lucked-out' with Charles IMO. He has sensibilities that span many disciplines and can only be for the good in the long run. IMO.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Serene Highness

Charles' Film 'Harmony'....

I have not seen this film - and have only just become aware of it. Here is a teaser for the film and I am impressed. Hugely impressed. It is interesting that in the Brian Williams' interview linked to above, he does mention that there may be a re-definition of the monarchy when he ascends the throne - or not. He will change things for sure, I think, and for the best, I trust.

HARMONY (Teaser)

Old 12-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Boxing Day night here, and I'm back at the motel and online quickly checking what's been happening around the world while I've been filling up on turkey and ham for the second day in a row. Heading home tomorrow and once there and finally able to wind down and really relax for a few days I'll be checking out these videos you've pointed out to us, Tyger. They sound very interesting. YouTube is a fabulous resource, isn't it!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ha! Governor of California!
Prince Charles is not Steven Jobs... Charles has taken what he has and become a facilitator for innumerable initiatives of his own. Do you not know of the work of the Prince's Trust?...
Prince's Trust is a charity that operates in more different environment than Apple, which has risen from ashes, and other for-profit organisations. Those, who desire to catch a glimpse of the royalty and put it on their list of good deeds, donate to the above fund (e.g., Mrs. Joan Rivers and rich new Russians). Prince Charles might possess all qualities you have mentioned. However, he and his English language (the main reason I have taken an interest in the British Royals) do not impress me much. Mr. Brian Sewell's English is much better. It remains to be seen what kind of King Prince Charles will make and how he will re-define the monarchy.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have not seen this film - and have only just become aware of it. Here is a teaser for the film and I am impressed. Hugely impressed. It is interesting that in the Brian Williams' interview linked to above, he does mention that there may be a re-definition of the monarchy when he ascends the throne - or not. He will change things for sure, I think, and for the best, I trust.
I have seen Harmony and highly reccomend it. Charles is the narrator for the film and it shows how in different parts of the World, bringing together various pieces of the puzzle that used to be at each other's throats, and getting them talking, can bring about real change.

Such as Clear Cutting of Forests in British Columbia, which is shown in the film. It truly is facinating and also gives us a bit of a look of how Charles uses his influence and connections when it comes to the Environment.

Will he be a good King, we'll only know that after he takes the Throne, but he certainly does try to make this World a bit of a better place. For that, he has my respect.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v