The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Nope.

I woudl assume that unless Letters of Patents are adressed or they announce that they would be known by a lesser name, then Beatrice and Eugenie will be known as HRH Princess Beatrice of York, Mrs. David Clark....like Princess Anne was when she first married Mark Phillips:

There have been some small precendents so its possible:

HRH Princess Patricia of Connaught (granddaughter of Victoria) when she married she announced that she would be known as Lady Patricia Ramsay (adopting the style of her husband) but she was still a member of the BRG.

I don't believe any LP's were introduced for this. Same thing with Princess Katharine of Greece...she was known as Katharine Branaham (sp) and that was it.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

Sorry I misspoke I meant their children would not be titled unless the husbands were give a title upon marriage like Princess Margerets children -?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
How refreshingly well balanced Peter Hitchens article is. He brings out the "ordinary" that lies behind the Headlines....

When you put it that way Charles talking to parsnips seems quite sensible when you consider the alternative of talking to the press. The parsnips have so much more to offer.
Since I talk to asparagus ferns, Charles is OK in my book!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Okay..than yes...they would be like Margaret or Anne's children.

Yes, you are correct.

Really, by the time Charles takes the throne you will have lost at least four to five people who do a lot of engagements (Queen, Prince Phillip, Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Kent)...I mean Alexandra is the youngest at 74...between them they do about 600 engagements a year right?

So Kate will have to step it up...and Camilla and Sophie will have to pick up more...and they might need Beatrice and Eugenie to pick up some of the slack. Only time will tell.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Isn't the list of HRH going to get smaller just because of who is currently royal? Only the children of the sons of the monarch have HRH, so it will end up just being William and Harry. The Duke of York's daughters will not pass on HRH to their children, and the Princess Royal's children don't have HRH. The Earl of Wessex's children are HRH, but not using that style. So as the Queen's cousins pass away, there won't be many HRH's left at all.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza
Isn't the list of HRH going to get smaller just because of who is currently royal? Only the children of the sons of the monarch have HRH, so it will end up just being William and Harry. The Duke of York's daughters will not pass on HRH to their children, and the Princess Royal's children don't have HRH. The Earl of Wessex's children are HRH, but not using that style. So as the Queen's cousins pass away, there won't be many HRH's left at all.
Man, William and Kate and Harry and whoever better plan to have a lot of kids (just a joke!) :)
Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Yes, there is no real reason to reduce the size of the royal family as the process of natural selection will do it naturally.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Since I talk to asparagus ferns, Charles is OK in my book!
Ahhhhhh... its not easy being green
Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Serene Highness

The Queen should start handing off to Charles.....

I put this text on the wrong thread - just realized it should be here...

You know what I think? I think the Queen is going to - or should - start handing off more royal duties and responsibilities to Charles. I would hope he is in conversation with his mother about this. It makes perfect sense and would cushion the transition (passing from the Queen to the next King) when it inevitably comes. I think I see indications that this is being contemplated, in fact.

The Queen must understand that she needs to begin 'investing' in Charles if the future (of her family) is to be sanely shaped. She likely very much wants to slow down a bit, too - who doesn't at her age - and it just makes all kinds of sense for her to open up the situation more.

If this isn't in the works, I think it should be. The Queen needs to be far-thinking in this way to ensure a seamless and healthy transition, built on the known and an established trust. Too much potential damage could be done otherwise without that clear, steady hand setting in motion the future course.

P.S. Please forgive if I am presenting a topic that has already been thoroughly discussed. I have not read all of this thread and in fact just skipped back and found interesting stuff - so......
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It remains to be seen ...
As for the monarchy under Prince Charles, it will be usual, traditional as the monarchy is supposed to be ... Prince Charles will be a placid King. It would be fair to presume that being a King will significantly constrain his controversial comments.
I would say just the reverse. Charles will be the one to change the monarchy and press it forward into the 21st century - he has the intelligence and the capacities developed over a lifetime of entrepreneurial and managerial endeavor. There is nothing placid about Charles.

He has created networks of relationships and taken seriously his role as a steward of 'his people' via his businesses that engage young people in all manner of preparations for life. He has created endeavors that change lives. He has not been just a Patron of Charities and the Arts doing photo ops. He has been a working man all his adult life - innovative, prescient and thinking outside-the-box.

Charles is going to be anything but a placid King and will be a hard act for William to follow.

William would be the placid and traditionalist king at this point. He presents as shy and very ill-at-ease in his role. He needs considerably more tutelage under his father before he will be ready for kingship. In fact, it is my keen hope that Kate (Catherine) has a bit more on the ball than William for their children's sake. William has a great deal more living he needs to do before he will have the capacity to be king intelligently and not just be a fellow who makes sure everyone likes him.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As the title is automatic there is no need for Parliament to do anything.

The last thing the BRF want is a debate about anything to do with the royal family as it could so easily backfire - particularly with a minority government.
Quite right, no need to go to Parliament. Debates of this type are best avoided in Parliament.

FYI, We have a coalition government, not a minority one.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right, no need to go to Parliament. Debates of this type are best avoided in Parliament.

FYI, We have a coalition government, not a minority one.

Does one party have a majority? No

Do the two parties concerned usually form a coalition government? No

Is the coalition committed to the same things on all policies? No

When we have a coalition government here we know before the election which two parties will form that coalition (Liberals and Nationals). They pretty much agree on all major policies before the election and make it known to the population what they will do. To me that is a coalition.

A minority government is when two or more parties or individuals, after the election join together to form government but when the next election comes they will campaign against each other again.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Your personal definition of a coalition may be at variance to the publicly accepted form, but a minority government is one that does not have a majority in Parliament, period. As to whether the parties went into the election with a coalition agreement already in place or not relevant as to whether the resulting government is a coalition or a minority government.

The current government in the UK is comprised of Conservative and LD members of Parliament, both of whom are integral to the cabinet and government. They are bound by the coalition agreement (which runs for the full term of the Parliament) that they entered into after the election in May 2010. This would have been a minority government if a coalition agreement had not been entered into, and the LDs were not a part of the government, but merely provided the Conservatives issue based support in Parliament
Old 12-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Majesty

Obviously we have a different understanding of what sort of government constitutes a coalition. As we have them regularly in this country my understanding is that they go into the election that way. Yours is different. We have even had coalitions where one of the two parties could form government on their own but they stay in the coalition - that is a coalition to me.

We must disagree on this point.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Yes, there is no real reason to reduce the size of the royal family as the process of natural selection will do it naturally.
Is natural selection fast enough for the British public? I don't know but I do think that the royal family will have to change in order to survive.

I do wish Charles would give some ideas about how he plans on changing things. I know it might be considered rude to discuss such things while she is alive but he is a man that does not appeared to be scared to discuss controversial issues.

If I were the Queen I would want to know what he plans to do after I was gone. Then again I might be a little controlling
Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Is natural selection fast enough for the British public? I don't know but I do think that the royal family will have to change in order to survive.

I do wish Charles would give some ideas about how he plans on changing things. I know it might be considered rude to discuss such things while she is alive but he is a man that does not appeared to be scared to discuss controversial issues.

If I were the Queen I would want to know what he plans to do after I was gone. Then again I might be a little controlling
To be quite honest, the british public unless you are a royal watcher doesn't understand the system of titles. If the remaining royals with titles show that they are worthy of their titles then I think that will satisfy the public.

I'm sure he knows what he would like to do and has discussed this with HM. But I don't see why we should know until he becomes king.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
To be quite honest, the british public unless you are a royal watcher doesn't understand the system of titles. If the remaining royals with titles show that they are worthy of their titles then I think that will satisfy the public.

I'm sure he knows what he would like to do and has discussed this with HM. But I don't see why we should know until he becomes king.
I think that is a tragedy that some people worldwide are not that interested enough in their own governments to want to know how they function. Then again I have always though that apathy is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. At least if people hate you they care enough to pay attention to you.

As for what he will do well...I understand what you are saying. I just think that maybe it might be nice for an outline. He is not a popular choice to be king. No, I don't mean that William should be king. I just think that maybe an outline might change some perceptions about him for those who want him to be King. For those like myself who don't live in England but are interested in history it is a unique situation to watch a different kind of government hand-over.

I also think that the days when the royals positions were secure ones are gone. Nowadays they almost have to sell themselves like politicians to win public approval. Like it or not we are in those days. If we were not then the royal family would not be on facebook or twitter.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Majesty

What changes would people like him to make?

The monarchy has evolved even during the present reign and that evolution will continue for the rest of this reign and then into Charles' reign.

It would be totally inappropriate for him to make public any plans for what he would like to do when his mother dies.

In addition he doesn't have a lot of say anyway as the government will decide all official roles of the monarchy so any changes Charles would like to make would be purely superficial and not substantial to the role of the monarch.

Outside of the monarch no other royals have anything to do with the running of the government anyway and most people I am sure realise that - and the monarch doesn't do much - signs the legislation, talks to the PM, hosts visiting officials and provides entertainment for the masses - that is the main role for the royals - entertainment. If you think about what we as royal watchers discuss it comes down to what they wear, who they are dating, what their children look like, when their babies are due, and what events they attend to give us the information to discuss the above - nothing about their role in government as they don't really have one.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think that is a tragedy that some people worldwide are not that interested enough in their own governments to want to know how they function. Then again I have always though that apathy is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. At least if people hate you they care enough to pay attention to you.
A lot of people in this country know how the government functions. But government and the monarchy are two very different things. People don't know how the title system works, which is what I said.

Quote:
As for what he will do well...I understand what you are saying. I just think that maybe it might be nice for an outline. He is not a popular choice to be king. No, I don't mean that William should be king. I just think that maybe an outline might change some perceptions about him for those who want him to be King. For those like myself who don't live in England but are interested in history it is a unique situation to watch a different kind of government hand-over.
IMO, if he released some kind of information, it would add fuel to the critical fire about what he is going to do. At the moment people can say "Charles won't be a good king", but they cannot give a reason. If he says he's going to do x, y and z. People can then critisize him for what he has suggested.

Quote:
I also think that the days when the royals positions were secure ones are gone. Nowadays they almost have to sell themselves like politicians to win public approval. Like it or not we are in those days. If we were not then the royal family would not be on facebook or twitter.
I don't think facebook and twitter is "selling themselves", I think it's moving with the times. A lot more people access faceboook and twitter than read the newspapers or follow this forum.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Courtier

[I don't think facebook and twitter is "selling themselves", I think it's moving with the times. A lot more people access faceboook and twitter than read the newspapers or follow this forum.[/QUOTE]

I think moving with the times and selling themselves is almost interchangeable. Then again I think anyone in the public spotlight has to sell themselves in order to get heard. For example: If he did not sell themselves then nobody would know about his charities. For the record I don't consider selling oneself is always a bad thing. It just depends on the situation.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v