The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Aristocracy

I'm not convinced that people who post comments on internet sites are representative of the population as a whole, because they will be a very small fraction of that population, and with a tendency to be those who have strong opinions.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He may chat to parsnips but Prince Charles MUST be King | Mail Online

Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

How refreshingly well balanced Peter Hitchens article is. He brings out the "ordinary" that lies behind the Headlines. His take on Polls, their uses and abuses and, more tellingly, who is willing to front up with big bucks to create new Headlines and consequent crises is unusual, especially in the Daily Mail!!

Quote:
How silly. In an era when our politics is full of callow young men with no real experience of life or the world, Prince Charles is a reassuringly wise figure, whose thoughts on many things are a good deal less weird than the Prime Ministerís hurriedly invented bilge about Big Societies and Gross National Happiness.
When you put it that way Charles talking to parsnips seems quite sensible when you consider the alternative of talking to the press. The parsnips have so much more to offer.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, and you can parboil them, which the justice system never seems to manage!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Serene Highness

Its hard to read it all - but I have a question. I read the beginning of this thread in 2006 and it was all positive about Charles but there appears to have been a sea change 4 years later on this last page of the thread. What changed?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Different people, with different opinions would be the answer.

Furthermore, those who posted at the beginning of this thread have not, with the exception of Roslyn, posted in some time and some have even been banned due to their behaviour.

I should hardly think a change in tone to be very surprising in a disucssion forum though. Theres never usually any common ground due to the immense prejudice you often find laden throughout the threads.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Its hard to read it all - but I have a question. I read the beginning of this thread in 2006 and it was all positive about Charles but there appears to have been a sea change 4 years later on this last page of the thread. What changed?

Some posters are just totally anti-Charles and sometimes they post in close succession.

Others are very supportive of Charles and again often post their posts together.

Sometimes we have antis- and pros- engaging in debate but they usually deteriorate to the extent that some of us no longer even acknowledge the existence of others due to years of virulent abuse on these boards.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Golly! Perhaps I deserve some sort of long-service medal, or maybe good conduct medal. Still here after all these years and a survivor of the Charles/Camilla/Diana wars.

I've been interested in Charles since he was here at school and swam on our Sydney beaches. I have a great deal of time for him and I am very fond of Camilla. I hope I get the chance to see him become King and Camilla his Queen. I think we'll see some changes under King Charles, but I cannot predict what they will be.

Welcome, Tyger. I'm going to enjoy reading your posts.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you, Roslyn.

Just in general, speaking to no one in particular just want to say that as a newbie it is daunting to find the 'right' place to post - its a very large site and tons of fun.

I am thrilled to have found a place where I can actually have a conversation about some issues (Diana/Charles/Camilla) that I have honestly only recently begun to have a point of view about. Is there a particular thread that is devoted to this triad? Its clear from the little bit that I have read that this is a well-worn debate - but I am new to it (believe it or not - at least in detail) - and I have recently come to have an opinion about what Diana was asking 'me' as a member of the public to participate in.

Since its hard for me to jump into a long standing thread - so much reading to get the jist - would it be okay for me to start a thread on the issue regarding Diana that has been bothering me? I believe that Diana as an 'event' or phenomenon is very important for us to look at as a culture - is there a thread that is already going that I can join?

Many thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

^^^^^
This doesn't have a lot to do with The Monarchy under Charles, so you might want to PM a moderator about your ideas. :)
Old 12-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Courtier

I believe that if the monarchy is to survive it needs to be smaller. Limit it to William and family, Harry and family and maybe someone else. The rest of the family could be grouped similar to how the Dutch do it. Some people are in the royal family and some are in the royal house. Those in the royal house could even go out and get normal jobs. Like for example, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie on down.

( I believe some posters have said as much in the past and I agree with their thoughts on this matter as I think the size of the family and how much money they get from taxpayers is part of the reason why people have a problem with them.)
Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Id like for Camilla to known as Queen they are legally married after all
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Id like for Camilla to known as Queen they are legally married after all

I believe legally she will be Queen. Right?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Legally she's the wife of the King therefore the Queen. If she gets called Queen Camilla is another matter.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

They should pass this through Parliment so we can know once and for all
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The title of Camilla is probably the last thing on Parliaments mind at the moment.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
They should pass this through Parliment so we can know once and for all

As the title is automatic there is no need for Parliament to do anything.

The last thing the BRF want is a debate about anything to do with the royal family as it could so easily backfire - particularly with a minority government.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The title of Camilla is probably the last thing of Parliaments mind at the moment.

I'm not a UK citizen, but I should hope not. Something like that sounds rather trivial compared to a lot of the problems facing the country at the present moment. It would be comparable to our Congress deciding whether or not Vice-President Biden's wife should be referred to as the Second Lady or just Mrs. Biden.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I believe that if the monarchy is to survive it needs to be smaller. Limit it to William and family, Harry and family and maybe someone else. The rest of the family could be grouped similar to how the Dutch do it. Some people are in the royal family and some are in the royal house. Those in the royal house could even go out and get normal jobs. Like for example, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie on down.

( I believe some posters have said as much in the past and I agree with their thoughts on this matter as I think the size of the family and how much money they get from taxpayers is part of the reason why people have a problem with them.)

Currently there are really 14 people who are HRH from birth and that includes Louise and James.

In the next 20 or so years that will drop as the Gloucester and Kents pass no and their descendents don't pass on the HRH and those descendents already have jobs away from the royal situation. The same with the descendents of Princess Margaret and Princess Anne.

What will happen with Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will be interesting, and by this time next year we will have a better idea as Beatrice will have finished her studies and it will have been announced what her future will be.

If the work of the royal family is to be restricted to William, Harry, their wives, Charles and Camilla then that will be 6 people currently doing the work of 14 currently and Harry will be full-time in the military for probably another 20 years.

I would like to see the more extended family not appearing on the balcony etc as it gives the idea to the public that they are supporter people that they aren't. e.g. if at William's wedding on the Queen's descendents and the Middletons were there, plus the wedding party of course and then at the Trooping the Colour only the Queen's descendents were there people would see that the royal family is getting smaller anyway.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Royal Highness

Good point, plus unless Bea and Eugenies husbands are given titles won't the Princess/Prince and HRH drop with them anyways-

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v