The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2017, 05:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In 30 years time, most likely Charles and Camilla (both will be around 100 years old at that time)will be out of the picture and it will be William and Kate, George and Charlotte and their partners and perhaps little ones.
Indeed, they will be 98 and 99! That's why I put the "- Why not? -"!

But by no means absurd to consider Charles as a spritely or not 98 year old, 30 years on. Or even bypassing the 100 and sending himself a card! But obviously, will not live forever either.

Regardless of when it is, it will be William who will literally take up the reigns(!), not Harry, who does need to establish a role for himself within the Firm and not just as the second son of the King, the younger brother of the King etc. Something I'm sure he has an agenda on, it's the rest of his life after all. As it stands he is an exellent ambassador for the RF, I can see him taking on a more global role in that area, leaving William to concentrate on the homefront as heir or King.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Aristocracy

It would be nice for Charles to include other members of the BRF on the balcony once he is King Charles III or King George VII, in honor of his grandfather.

Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Timothy, etc. should not be excluded from the balcony.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I actually expect him to assemble extended members of the BRF for balcony appearances once he does become King.

We have to remember that Charles has never said anything publicly about how his reign is going to be but there's been a lot of presumptions over the years. Many refer to the balcony appearance during the Diamond Jubilee where it was the Queen, the DoE, Charles and Camilla, William and Kate and Harry.

Its been said that this "hints" at the future of the monarchy but I don't think so. It was a celebration of HM's 60 years years on the throne. It was a celebration of the monarchy itself and its my opinion that the balcony appearance was to show the continuity of the monarchy into the future.

We have to remember that there are three different "groups" if we can call it that for ease of explaining. There is the direct line to the throne and the future of the monarchy itself. There is the extended royal family which, like a lot of families, have aunts and uncles and cousins by the dozens. Then there is the working "Firm". The people that work representing the monarchy.

Charles, to me, is pretty much a traditionalist and I really don't see him wanting to change things overly much. Of course he'll make some changes but I don't expect them to be drastic ones. Perhaps over time and, as we know how the BRF plans and executes things to run smoothly, we'll see gradual changes happening as the BRF plans the transition between the reign of Charles to the reign of William.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think he' WILL cut down the RF to a smaller group and if that means having less public appearances he would prefer that to having to support loads of cousins for life because they are "on the duty roster".
in today's world, its possible for them to do a lot on the internet, TV etc, and while I think it is important that some royals do actually get out there and meet people, make actual live speeches and shake hands and go around and see things, we don't need to have hordes of people doing it..
Charles is a traditionalist and he will not ignore his cousins or leave them out of ceremonials that are family based so they will be seen in public at times but they will be free to go and lead their own lives and have their own careers if they want them and he wot be saddled with their upkeep.
In the 80s there was a lot of attention to the RF, In the press and I'm sure he remembers all too well that this meant that people's faults were more obvious to the public and the press's attitude was "if they are donig royal duties then their lives are up for grabs.. and every fault or mistake they make, is good for a story.."
Charles will want to avoid that...
Old 05-06-2017, 01:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Which cousins are we talking about though, the Kents (the Duke and Princess Alexandra) who are in their 80's and have had recent health scares, or the Gloucesters who do a lot of unsung work for the BRF and are Charles and Cam contemporaries in terms of age?

It's lovely to think of untethering the cousins in the future and no doubt none of them would mind, except that their accommodation, Alexandra's flat at St James's, the Kents' Wren House and the Goucesters' large apartment at KP are all given as part payment for work done representing HM at various engagements all over the place.

I doubt that Charles will be up for a whole lot of subsidising large rents for his mother's retired cousins in the event of some MPs turning their attention again (as they have in the past) on grace and favour dwellings inhabited by Royal relatives.

It will be a conundrum IMO in some ways as Charles would hardly want to ask very very elderly people to move out of their homes because they will be regarded as surplus to requirements.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

He's not going to throw them out or stop supporting them but I'm sure he does not want any other royals on his hands. Of course the older royals are at the point of giving up steady work in the near future and their children (Kents and Gloucesters) have never been involved in the royal duties.
He will let the older ones stay in thier homes until they go and then I suspect he'll be cutting back, and he wont want say the York girls on the payroll..
Old 05-06-2017, 01:32 AM
Majesty

I think the key word here is going to be "transition" as far as the "Firm" goes. He'd not boost the older ones out of their homes and declare them unnecessary but most likely, as they eventually fade out of the picture, he's not going to want to replace them either. That's regarding the "Firm".

As far as the extended British royal family, perhaps eventually we'll be seeing Beatrice and Eugenie with their spouses and children on the balcony for occasions such as Trooping the Color, weddings and events where they're seen as being part of the extended family.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the time does come.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Courtier

But in just 20 years time the working royal family will have thinned. The Gloucesters may still be around but in their late 80s or 90s as will be Charles, Camilla and Anne. Edward, Sophie and Andrew will be in their 70s. George may be in military service and Charlotte just finishing school so neither will be a working royal yet. William, Kate and Harry (and Harry's future wife) will be the middle aged working royals. So at least four or more fewer workers not replaced, and maybe more.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the key word here is going to be "transition" as far as the "Firm" goes. He'd not boost the older ones out of their homes and declare them unnecessary but most likely, as they eventually fade out of the picture, he's not going to want to replace them either. That's regarding the "Firm".

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the time does come.
of course he's nto going to throw them out or stop helping them financially, but he will not replace them with other younger royals. Times have changed and the RF needs to be seen as slimmer and less expesnsive..
we'll see Bea and Eugenie at times but they wont be doing royal duties..
Old 05-06-2017, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
of course he's nto going to throw them out or stop helping them financially, but he will not replace them with other younger royals. Times have changed and the RF needs to be seen as slimmer and less expesnsive..

we'll see Bea and Eugenie at times but they wont be doing royal duties..

I don't really get your point as that's what we have now. Charles' Cousin's don't do a lot in the way of royal engagements and certainly don't get a lot for it. It's different when you take some like the DOG out of the picture than to the DOE, dividing up the engagements that will go with 700+ patronages requires a lot of thought and people.

Whilst you are sure Charles wants a slim down monarchy (which he will get anyway when his Cousin's pass), he has the monarchies appearance out there to think about, and there's nothing like seeing a royal in the flesh as opposed to on YouTube. The monarchy is never going to be less expensive because the same people are still there.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

not everyone wants to see royals
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 AM
Majesty

Are you saying that when apartments fall empty in KP they should be occupied by the the richest rather than the royal?
Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Majesty

I don't think that places like Kensington Palace will ever be made available for the richest and the greatest. If anything, it will become solely under the HRP (Historical Royal Palaces) and preserved as a national treasure with some of the state rooms still being available for rent for events. One aspect of KP is that it is a logical choice for London residences for members of the BRF as the security and ease of access to London is already in place. I would even bet my last glass of banana strawberry smoothie that Buckingham Palace will become a public national treasure before Kensington Palace does.

There will always be an interest in seeing the royal family in the flesh and interacting with them. Even though social media and videos on YouTube are becoming more and more the way to reach more people, seeing the royal family out and about actually doing things is never going to fade away. I think the Queen said it best when she said "I have to be seen to be believed."

There will always be royal events where the old traditions are still followed such as the State Opening of Parliament and Trooping the Color. Nobody, but nobody, does traditions and pomp and circumstance better than the British.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The state rooms of KP are already under the control of HRP. People aren't going to want to tour the old apartments of the Gloucesters or Kents. I toured BP, Windsor, Tower of London and KP. KP was the least interesting of the four. If it didn't have the ties to Diana and Victoria, I don't think a lot of people would go there. I found the garden the best part. After seeing it once, I don't feel the need to go back.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Majesty

And there, folks, speaks experience of actually *being* there which I've never had the pleasure.

It does kind of confirm in my mind that Buck House would be more of a tourist draw than KP and KP would be more apt to be kept as residences. But this is kind of straying from the topic of the Monarchy under Charles. It does tie in somewhat as I believe I've read places that when Charles becomes King, he may opt to keep Clarence House as his residence. That would make sense if BP is still under major renovations. It would also be a quiet "transition" to move the royal residence of the monarch elsewhere from BP but BP would still be continued to be used for purposes it is now such as state dinners.

The House of Windsor plans things out in advance so completely that changes happen without a whole lot of fanfare over time (*if* you discount the media going berserk and speculating about things). Perhaps their plans that we see in action now are only the tip of the iceberg in even further long range plans.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that all the major work that was done for Apt. 1A at KP wasn't solely for the Cambridge's move in but to assure that KP will be fit for royal residency for decades to come.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Nobility

With the announcement of the retirement of the DoE, would now be a good time for ghe Queen's cousins to do likewise? This would properly shift the focus to Charles and his immediate family, and free up even more engagements and patronages for the younger royals.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Please, just let these people who have served Queen and Country all their lives, reach decisions in the fullness of their own time. No one wants to feel nudged to the curb. They want to cross the street on their own terms.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The state rooms of KP are already under the control of HRP. People aren't going to want to tour the old apartments of the Gloucesters or Kents. I toured BP, Windsor, Tower of London and KP. KP was the least interesting of the four. If it didn't have the ties to Diana and Victoria, I don't think a lot of people would go there. I found the garden the best part. After seeing it once, I don't feel the need to go back.
I visited KP, Windsor, Tower of London and Balmoral (2012). I found them ALL fascinating in their different ways; I really liked KP and the Victoria displays. Those staircases are so easy to walk up; i could imagine a princess in a long gown would have no trouble.

But back to the Monarchy under Charles; i too would not be at all surprised is he keeps his 'home' at Clarence House and the 'business' at BP. That would make sense for future Monarchs too. After all, it's only a hop, skip and jump away. A decorous hop, of course.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 PM
Majesty

Sometimes I think people actually think HM runs the BRF like a business. The idea of kicking the olds to the kerb is wrong on just so many levels, the first being that HM is still QEII so the monarchy under Charles is irrelevant.

Further, this idea that Charles could, should or would "retire" the older relatives, let alone evict them from KP is bizarre. I see nothing in his behaviour during his life that would indicate he thinks that people, human beings, family no less, have a ''Use By" date. Quite the contrary as he sees how sharp both his parents still are.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
With the announcement of the retirement of the DoE, would now be a good time for ghe Queen's cousins to do likewise? This would properly shift the focus to Charles and his immediate family, and free up even more engagements and patronages for the younger royals.
Why should the Gloucester's give up when they are as young as they are? They are only a couple of years older than Charles and Camilla.

The Kent's are older of course - both in their 80s but the Gloucester's were born in 1944 and 1946 with Camilla only a year younger in 1947 and Charles in 1948,

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v