The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

That article is worthless. Charles doesn't have any personal property right now. He will inherit Sandringham and Balmoral from his mother. However, he doesn't keep the property owned by the Duchy of Cornwall like Highgrove. Windsor, BP, Clarence House, KP are owned by the State. All the residents of KP aren't going to move in BP. Total Garbage

Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 AM
Majesty

Yes, he simply holds interest in possession over Cornwall. Meaning while he controls the estate, with a board, and the income of the estate is his, he can't sell anything on the estate for profit. And when he becomes king, the estate as a whole passes to the new duke, William, including high grove. I never did quite understand why he didn't buy high grove in his own name with the income. I guess perhaps among other things, to avoid inheritance laws eventually.

Balmoral and Sandringham are the only two properties he has any say in. And if there was any real plan to make Kensington a museum, these new offices, the money spent on Wll and Kate's apartment and on Ivy would have been pointless.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 AM
Nobility

The Monarchy under Charles

Can he buy Highgrove from the Duchy-before he is king. It seems to be very important to him.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Can he buy Highgrove from the Duchy-before he is kind. It seems to be very important to him.

Really no need for him to own it privately- it will pass to his son and then grandson either way. I doubt William would do anything that isn't considerate of his father's feelings.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Can he buy Highgrove from the Duchy-before he is kind. It seems to be very important to him.
No. The Duchy can't sell any of its property.

When he bought it he did so using Duchy money knowing that he would have to lease it from the Duchy rather than own it outright. Had he used the accumulated income from the Duchy (as happened when a previous Duke of Cornwall bought Sandringham) it would be possible for him to keep it and also to leave it to whomever he pleases but as he bought it using Duchy capital it belongs to the Duchy now and he has to lease it.

He will be able to ask the new Duke of Cornwall if he can continue to lease it from him when he is King and who knows the new Duke may agree to allow the King to continue leasing the property.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No. The Duchy can't sell any of its property.
My understanding is that the Duchy can buy and sell property as it considers appropriate, it just can't release the capital from any sale to the PoW. This allows the capital to remain intact for subsequent generations.

I believe the Duchy has actively developed a number of its real estate holdings and continues to buy and sell agricultural and commercial holdings across the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
When he bought it he did so using Duchy money knowing that he would have to lease it from the Duchy rather than own it outright. Had he used the accumulated income from the Duchy (as happened when a previous Duke of Cornwall bought Sandringham) it would be possible for him to keep it and also to leave it to whomever he pleases but as he bought it using Duchy capital it belongs to the Duchy now and he has to lease it.

He will be able to ask the new Duke of Cornwall if he can continue to lease it from him when he is King and who knows the new Duke may agree to allow the King to continue leasing the property.
I thanks that is right, buying Highgrove from Duchy finances was a conscience decision. When King, Charles will not need Highgrove as he will have Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral as retreats.

I suspect Highgrove will end up with William and Catherine, and they may take a view on what they want to do with Anmer. Either they can keep Anmer, or it ends up getting used by Harry or perhaps being let iout.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Article on Camilla's future title on Charles's Succession:
Camilla will be Queen one day, constitutional expert says

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-09-2017, 01:48 AM
Heir Apparent

From this Sky News article by Rhiannon Mills, Royal Correspondent: (Read more in Dman's above post)
Quote:
But Lord Norton of Louth, a peer in the House of Lords and professor at the University of Hull, says the constitutional position is very clear.

He said: "Upon the death of the Queen, Charles automatically becomes King - that is it. His wife will become Queen Consort, formally established by precedent.

"But if she wishes to be known by another title, that's a matter of royal prerogative, so the monarch could determine that another style will be employed."
Quote:
Last week, Camilla was at her husband's side during a royal tour in Europe, a trip described as a Brexit charm offensive. They are a close couple who work well alongside each other and share common interests.

Enormous crowds came out to see them, with the Duchess mobbed by the public and Italian media in Naples. Camilla clearly has a good working rapport with photographers and journalists who regularly cover her official engagements.

Chris Jackson, royal photographer for Getty Images, has followed her for the past 13 years and says she plays the media game but in a very natural way.

He said: "The Duchess is just professional in her role, she's matured in her role over the years and she seems to be comfortable promoting the causes that she's passionate about, osteoporosis, domestic violence. From a photographer's point of view she's working with you and that's great and it makes my job a lot easier."

Within the royal family, Camilla has been elevated to become a central part of the upper tier of Britain's monarchy.

The Queen made her a privy councillor in 2016 and she carries out engagements on behalf of Her Majesty.

Camilla's charity work doesn't always get that much media attention in the UK, but you could say less time in the papers is good news. After all, it's not her role to overshadow the Prince.

A wider public acceptance of Camilla however would undoubtedly make things easier when Charles does become King.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Although, I get the feeling it will be a PR headache, It will be fascinating to hear what title Charles and the Palace issue for Camilla.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-09-2017, 04:02 AM
Majesty

What Sky News stated, is in fact a longstanding communis opinio on this forum: Camilla will be Queen indeed, as she also is The Princess of Wales right now. Of course the unsecurity begins with the question: by what title will Camilla "be known as"?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:22 AM
Majesty

I can't see the problem. The moment his mother dies, that's it, he is the King and his wife is Queen. It was always going to be that way except I think they thought they could just call her "Princess Consort" just like she is called Duchess of Cornwall and not Princess of Wales and that would be that.

The geopolitical situation has changed dramatically over the last decade, the last five years even and with the ramifications of Brexit, the UK will is trying to maintain as high a profile as possible. The effective"downgrade the King's wife, even if that is what she and even he want, may very well be perceived as an own goal.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
When Charles is king Harrys life will change too. The older royals will start retiring and if not replaced with more bodies like the yorks, William and Harry will both have to pick up their roles ten fold. At least until George and Charlotte are done university and ready for duties, Harry will have to step up. He may continue traveling for Invictus and such but the idea he would live abroad are pipe dreams. And as his uncles and sung slow down eventually, even more.
Like her mother before her I can't see Anne slowing down anytime soon, if ever! Edward and Sophie are a generation removed from Charles of course, so no cause for concern of retirement there for the foreseeable. The issue of the slimmed down monarchy being within Charles' remit of course.

I can easily see Harry being a more global ambassador for the RF going forward, along with supporting his own off-shore charities. So living abroad, as in having a home outside the UK a definite possibility whilst having KP as his London base, and family pending, a country base also.

He just does have a greater scope in this area than William.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

not that much. anne and the siblings may or may not slow down but it is high time that harry, William and Kate started doing more. the queen's very busy, and so is Charles. When he becomes king, he'll be even busier and may have lost a few of his cousins and may want to sideline Andrew, for example. so there will be a lot of wok for Harry and the Cambridges to pick up.. he should not be thinking of living abroad etc he should be based In the UK and full time on Royal duties, with or without his wife beside him.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Courtier

That is a major factor; the balcony scene featuring the Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry and Kate. No room in the picture for the Queen's three other children, never mind wife and husband!

It spoke volumes, not just of Charles' vision going forward but also of the Queen's backing to a certain extent.

William knows his role, it's up to Harry to create his. Yes, now, seen as a central figure, he has to carve out his own position within The Firm.

Move on to a similiar balcony scene in thirty years time, with - why not? - Charles & Camilla! - William, Kate, George, Charlotte and partners or not. Where's Harry?
Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In 30 years time, most likely Charles and Camilla (both will be around 100 years old at that time)will be out of the picture and it will be William and Kate, George and Charlotte and their partners and perhaps little ones.

That balcony scene represented the continuity of the monarchy and wasn't remotely associated with the working "Firm". Two different things. I don't see Harry being relegated to the sticks even in 30 years. He'll be the only brother of the monarch and although I most likely won't be around to see it, William most likely will rely heavily on his brother. They're close now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I think Harry is pretty much resigned to being a full time working royal for the "Firm" in the years ahead. He's even embraced it recently in an interview stating he's finding out the best ways to use the position he's been given to make a difference in the world.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Nobility

I wish they would remove from the official site the statement she will be known as Princess Consort. Regardless of whether she is styled as such when the time comes or if she is styled as Queen Consort, there is no longer a need to make the statement. She has established her own reputation in the kingdom. If they do decide to change her style on Charles ascension, leaving the statement there til the last minute will make it seem like they "lied" all this time. Personally, I hope she is styled as Queen Camilla but even if not, that statement is annoying.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Rightfully so.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Interesting statement in the article: "Camilla's charity work does not always get media attention in the UK, but less time in the papers is good news. After all, it is not her role to overshadow the Prince."

Too bad the press didn't have this sensibility with Charles' (excessively) impressionable first wife. It appears Camilla will be held to a 'higher standard', which we all know Camilla is fine with. What makes Camilla so appealing, in fact.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Camilla has never come across to me as being someone that actively seeks the limelight or attention. She is perfectly content to be Charles' consort and support system. She does what she does without asking for anything in return and does it with grace and style. She has all the qualities that would make for a good Queen Consort.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Interesting statement in the article: "Camilla's charity work does not always get media attention in the UK, but less time in the papers is good news. After all, it is not her role to overshadow the Prince."

Too bad the press didn't have this sensibility with Charles' (excessively) impressionable first wife. It appears Camilla will be held to a 'higher standard', which we all know Camilla is fine with. What makes Camilla so appealing, in fact.
The press was tough with Diana, too, when she lived. And the only reason they write about her now (except that it's 20 years since she died) is because she died the way she did.

1. Does Camilla deserve to be Queen Consort? Yes she does.

2. Is there anything she thinks about? No, I don't think so.

3. Does she decerve more praise from the press for the work of her charity work? Yes, and not just a bit.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v