The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I guess it will all come down to whether or not she is crowned with him, or she is sitting with the family as a spectator.
She doesn't have to be crowned with him to be Queen Consort however.

She will be the Queen the instant he becomes the King. Their coronation could easily be over a year after that event.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Nobility

A pretender to challenge Charles

Now that we've discussed Camilla's future title to death, it appears that a challenge to Charles' claim has arisen. How exciting!

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...tful-king.html

Quote:
A Colorado resident named Allan V. Evans took out an ad claiming to be the rightful monarch in Wednesday’s edition of the Times of London.

The 40-line, four-paragraph ad lists his credentials and claim on the lineage.
He has graciously agreed not to take the throne while Her Majesty is still alive, out of respect for her long years of service, thus throwing into doubt whether there will be a monarchy under Charles.

There's a photo of the article in the Times that makes for entertaining reading.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Now that we've discussed Camilla's future title to death, it appears that a challenge to Charles' claim has arisen. How exciting!

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...tful-king.html

He has graciously agreed not to take the throne while Her Majesty is still alive, out of respect for her long years of service, thus throwing into doubt whether there will be a monarchy under Charles.

There's a photo of the article in the Times that makes for entertaining reading.
Charles is going to be king. This news makes no sense.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Charles is going to be king. This news makes no sense.
A mentally unstable person has taken out a ridiculous ad (complete with a Tolkein reference) claiming that he's got a right to the throne, via an ancient forebear from Wales, and a newspaper has decided to poke fun at him. It's a little funny, but it's mostly sad.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Nobility

I recently found out that is officially also the case for Queen Mathilde and was the case for Queen Paola,who, in official documents, are cited as "Queen [name], Princess of Belgium" and not as "Queen of the Belgians". In practice, however, that important distinction is frequently ignored.[/QUOTE]

This was always the case in Scotland. The Monarch was styled King of Scots but his wife was not Queen of Scots.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

The journalist and monarchist Geoffrey Wheatcroft says Charles has too many controversial views and the throne needs to skip a generation

Daily Politics soapbox: Royalist says Prince Charles should not be king - BBC News
Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
I recently found out that is officially also the case for Queen Mathilde and was the case for Queen Paola,who, in official documents, are cited as "Queen [name], Princess of Belgium" and not as "Queen of the Belgians". In practice, however, that important distinction is frequently ignored.
It is the same for Máxima who by law is HRH Princess Máxima of the Netherlands (Article 8, Second Part, at A, of the Royal House Act 2002). When her husband assumed the kingship, things became blurred.

As is the longstanding social custom, any wife of a titled person can be addressed by her husband's title(s). So since her husband's accession she has become Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. In fact just a mix of a titre de courtoisie (Queen Máxima) and her titre de jure (Princess of the Netherlands).
Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The journalist and monarchist Geoffrey Wheatcroft says Charles has too many controversial views and the throne needs to skip a generation

Daily Politics soapbox: Royalist says Prince Charles should not be king - BBC News
Tough! He'll just have to suck it up!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:22 AM
Majesty

How Prince Charles Will Make Camilla Queen - The Daily Beast

"Making Camilla Queen"
Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
That article is so full of inaccuracies and misleading information. It could have been written by Kellyanne Conway: "alternative facts".

Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ohhh... fake news at its best.

The instant Charles becomes King, Camilla becomes Queen. That is fact as Camilla is the right and lawful wife of a King. The monkey wrench in the works at the Accession Council would be Charles announcing that Camilla would be known as the Princess Consort (which the article boldly states she is already "known" as which is incorrect.).

With the death of HM, The Queen, we have to remember that Charles has just lost his mother and the nation will be in deep mourning. The last thing that is needed to happen is controversial to and fro about what Camilla is "known" as. I don't think either Charles or Camilla would want that at all. All focus should and rightfully be on the beloved monarch that has left this earth.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That article is so full of inaccuracies and misleading information. It could have been written by Kellyanne Conway: "alternative facts".

Which parts are inaccurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

The Guardian piece about the palace, government, and BBC's alleged plans for the death of Queen Elizabeth II is quite thorough.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-london-bridge
Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Which parts are inaccurate?
This statement for one. "Since she married Charles in 2005, Camilla has been officially known as Princess Consort".
Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The big story here is, Charles and the government never had any intention of making Camilla princess consort when Charles is king.

As the Guardian article points out, the title has no legal meaning in the UK. The wife of a King is always Queen.

The only potential issue is, it appears Charles lied or at least was deceptive when telling the public Camilla won't be Queen.

Be interesting if the press makes a stink about it.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I actually think that they will for the main reason being that some tabloids live, eat and breathe to stir up controversy no matter what is happening.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I actually think that they will for the main reason being that some tabloids live, eat and breathe to stir up controversy no matter what is happening.
Yup. Controversy for the sake of controversy
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The big story here is, Charles and the government never had any intention of making Camilla princess consort when Charles is king.

As the Guardian article points out, the title has no legal meaning in the UK. The wife of a King is always Queen.

The only potential issue is, it appears Charles lied or at least was deceptive when telling the public Camilla won't be Queen.

Of course they had the intention to style her Princess Consort. Otherwise, they would not have announced it publicly when Charles got married to Camilla and, more significantly, the Palace would not have confirmed that is still the PoW's intention as they did in the Daily Beast article.

Quote:
Official palace sources sought to rubbish The Daily Beast’s report, saying the claims were “without foundation,” and briefing that the substance of the statement made by Clarence House at the time of Camilla’s marriage to the prince—that Camilla would be called Princess Consort—still stood.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:

The fact is, barring death, revolution, abdication or legislation, Camilla will be Queen. In addition to that, it may be possible that the King grants her the style of HRH The Princess Consort.

Needless to say, this can come to nought if the government of the day advises the King against such a move.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

From The Guardian. Camilla was always going to be Queen.

Quote:
“It’s bullshit,” one former courtier told me, describing it as “a sop to Diana”.

The fiction will end when Elizabeth II dies. Under common law, Camilla will become queen — the title always given to the wives of kings.

There is no alternative. “She is queen whatever she is called,” as one scholar put it. “If she is called Princess Consort there is an implication that she is not quite up to it. It’s a problem.”

There are plans to clarify this situation before the Queen dies, but King Charles is currently expected to introduce Queen Camilla at his Accession Council on D+1.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The fact is, barring death, revolution, abdication or legislation, Camilla will be Queen. In addition to that, it may be possible that the King grants her the style of HRH The Princess Consort.

Needless to say, this can come to nought if the government of the day advises the King against such a move.
From past conversations about this issue, I seem to recall too that in order for King Charles to create Camilla "HRH The Princess Consort", she would also have to be created a princess of the UK in her own right as there is absolutely no title that Charles will hold as King that she could take the style "Princess" from.

That, to me, is a big monkey wrench in the works and would be totally unprecedented as its never been done before. If it is done, it would then create the precedent that all wives of a King in the future would be called "HRH Princess Consort".

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v