The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2921  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Dear Melanie McDonough: So the premise is that the qualification for the Title of Queen is to be beloved? History is laughing at the idea.
And I'd posit that adultery on the throne has been rewarded in the past, just as long as things appeared placid on the surface. We all smile when someone notes "Happy wife, happy life." But "Happy Monarch, Happy Realm," has a ring of truth as well.
Interesting read, but I don't completely agree with the logic.
In fact, I'd say the modern monarchy does very much pay attention to the "like ability" of all its members. So what?
Surely some will choke on their breakfast cereal if Camilla becomes Queen. But many, many others will not give a nit, as long as she does not overspend or overstep.
Well put.

Let's also not forget that social norms have changed quite considerably in the 20th century. On average, c40% of UK marriages end in divorce. Also, the notion that sex outside of marriage is unacceptable just belongs in a different era.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2922  
Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,957
OK. I've thought about this a bit and for me, the answer is simple. If Camilla is to considered as unfit to be Queen because of an adulterous past, it stands to reason for me that Charles, then, would not be fit to be King. It takes two to commit adultery and if both were married at the time, they are both equally guilty.

What gets me in this recent article (as with many, many others), is the portrayal of a heinous relationship that totally devastated Charles' wife. No mention of her own dalliances at all going on at the same time. Once again the quote "There were three of us in the marriage" crops up and totally puts into obscurity the fourth, fifth and I have no clue how many more there were before the divorce.

This is not a place to rehash the C&D&C triangle at all but the point I'm trying to make is that if stones are going to be thrown at one person for adultery, in an egalitarian world of the 21st century, the stones should be heaved at all adulterers and not single one one specific person.
__________________

__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2923  
Old 02-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
OK. I've thought about this a bit and for me, the answer is simple. If Camilla is to considered as unfit to be Queen because of an adulterous past, it stands to reason for me that Charles, then, would not be fit to be King. It takes two to commit adultery and if both were married at the time, they are both equally guilty.

What gets me in this recent article (as with many, many others), is the portrayal of a heinous relationship that totally devastated Charles' wife. No mention of her own dalliances at all going on at the same time. Once again the quote "There were three of us in the marriage" crops up and totally puts into obscurity the fourth, fifth and I have no clue how many more there were before the divorce.

This is not a place to rehash the C&D&C triangle at all but the point I'm trying to make is that if stones are going to be thrown at one person for adultery, in an egalitarian world of the 21st century, the stones should be heaved at all adulterers and not single one one specific person.
A headache that I'm sure no one within the royal family are looking forward to once Charles becomes King.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2924  
Old 02-23-2017, 04:39 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,896
Speaking as a Brit, I dont think the public will mind. Journos will go on the rampage because they will think its a good story but I dont think its an issue.

I do get tired of the "three people in this marriage" line because as far as I can see there was more than that.

Its sad Diana died young and without having a life partner but she wished C&C well. So should the rest of us.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #2925  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,957
I agree with you Cepe. I think the general public (in the UK and the world) will just go "well that's that" and get on with their lives. Of course the sensationalism will ran rampant (I refuse to even call some of the media journalists) because, as you said, it'll sell.

What really remains is that by law, when Charles is crowned King, his wife will be Queen. I'm seriously hoping that they'll pull out all the stops and Camilla will be crowned alongside her husband.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2926  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Speaking as a Brit, I dont think the public will mind. Journos will go on the rampage because they will think its a good story but I dont think its an issue.

I do get tired of the "three people in this marriage" line because as far as I can see there was more than that.

Its sad Diana died young and without having a life partner but she wished C&C well. So should the rest of us.
I think it's just fine that Camilla will be Princess Consort. Queen or Consort, I think it's a huge honor. It's going to be a Palace PR nightmare though. The media will make sure of it. I think the palace officials and royal family tried to make things clear with the Princess Consort title statement, but the media feel Charles still wants different.

The Wales couple made a mess of things back in the day. Thank God it's all over. Sadly, she's no longer with us.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2927  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think it's just fine that Camilla will be Princess Consort. Queen or Consort, I think it's a huge honor. It's going to be a Palace PR nightmare though. The media will make sure of it. I think the palace officials and royal family tried to make things clear with the Princess Consort title statement, but the media feel Charles still wants different.

The Wales couple made a mess of things back in the day. Thank God it's all over. Sadly, she's no longer with us.
Y'know, I don't think it matters all that much to Camilla what she will be known as when Charles becomes King. Just as long as she remains his Gladys to her Fred.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2928  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,975
The people who will care will be the very vocal Diana fanatics who will boo and hiss and make a huge noise even though they are increasingly in a minority now - due to the passing of the years.
Reply With Quote
  #2929  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The people who will care will be the very vocal Diana fanatics who will boo and hiss and make a huge noise even though they are increasingly in a minority now - due to the passing of the years.
Won't be just Diana's fans (although many of them have calmed down with the passing of the years) the British media will go into a tailspin over the title issue. Not to mention the media here in America and down under.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2930  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,975
I really doubt that the media 'down under' will say anything at all other than we should be a republic.

The media in Britain feeds the Diana fanatics as does the media in the US. As we have seen recently however the media don't reflect the views of the majority of the populations in many countries given how wrong they have been on elections etc.
Reply With Quote
  #2931  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,028
I think what is being forgotten is the issue of Camilla's title will be resolved very early on. The media will be too focused with the Queen's death and novelty of a new monarch after so many years to become outraged at Queen Camilla.

If William the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge gets on tv to reflect on the late Queen and then mentions fully supporting our new King and Queen, it almost will put the issue to rest. You have Diana's own son backing his father and Camilla.
Reply With Quote
  #2932  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I really doubt that the media 'down under' will say anything at all other than we should be a republic.

The media in Britain feeds the Diana fanatics as does the media in the US. As we have seen recently however the media don't reflect the views of the majority of the populations in many countries given how wrong they have been on elections etc.
The thing is- I thought the Palace pretty much solved the issue with the Princess Consort title statement- the media think the Statement was only issued to calm people down over the issue and a PR move to give people time to get it used to Camilla as a future Queen.

This isnt about the so called "Diana Fanatics" but real issues that's just have a bandage over it. Some feeling have mellowed with time and the PR game have worked for many though.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2933  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,702
So Charles' statement didn't really mean anything?
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #2934  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,977
I would be rather surprised if she was titled (as in called/referred to) Queen ...I really don't think she wants that anyway.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2935  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,957
The only somewhat verifiable quotes have come from Charles and Camilla. Over time, both of them have been asked if Camilla will be Queen. The remark in return was usually a "we'll have to wait and see" or something along those lines. That tells me its still up in the air.

The original statement released had the words "it is intended" within it. I intend to never set foot in New York but that could change as my life changes.
There's no definite to the "Princess Consort" title as of yet.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2936  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Perhaps written by one who has never "sinned"
Without a doubt. I am sure she is already a candidate for sainthood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
OK. I've thought about this a bit and for me, the answer is simple. If Camilla is to considered as unfit to be Queen because of an adulterous past, it stands to reason for me that Charles, then, would not be fit to be King. It takes two to commit adultery and if both were married at the time, they are both equally guilty.

What gets me in this recent article (as with many, many others), is the portrayal of a heinous relationship that totally devastated Charles' wife. No mention of her own dalliances at all going on at the same time. Once again the quote "There were three of us in the marriage" crops up and totally puts into obscurity the fourth, fifth and I have no clue how many more there were before the divorce.

This is not a place to rehash the C&D&C triangle at all but the point I'm trying to make is that if stones are going to be thrown at one person for adultery, in an egalitarian world of the 21st century, the stones should be heaved at all adulterers and not single one one specific person.
Strictly speaking, that should also apply to both William and Catherine as shacking up was also considered sexual sin, which actually is what it was all about, being seen to live examplary lives. Living their life as an example to the lesser beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I agree with you Cepe. I think the general public (in the UK and the world) will just go "well that's that" and get on with their lives. Of course the sensationalism will ran rampant (I refuse to even call some of the media journalists) because, as you said, it'll sell.

What really remains is that by law, when Charles is crowned King, his wife will be Queen. I'm seriously hoping that they'll pull out all the stops and Camilla will be crowned alongside her husband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Won't be just Diana's fans (although many of them have calmed down with the passing of the years) the British media will go into a tailspin over the title issue. Not to mention the media here in America and down under.
As much as we may speculate as to the loathesome behavior of some baser media outlets, everyone is going to be focused on both mourning the death of the Queen and the end of an era. Charles will be king immediately and everyone will be focusing on the funeral itself. It's going to be quite some time before everyone is ready for the ancient blame game if at all.

As for the vindictive woman talking about "rewarding adultery", she needs to drag her mind out of the gutter and into the reality of this, the 21st century where adultery is not considered treason and the crown is not a "gift". As to the fans, they will be drowned out by the grief the nation a and a commonwealth in mourning, at which time nobody will want to wallow in spite but rather celebrate her HM QEII life.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #2937  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,896
I was in the process of writing a balanced post and then binned it because
A) I knew I would get tons of flack, and
B) the thread might be closed.

I think the focus for all of us should be Diana's words re hoping that C&C should marry and be happy.

Can we not just stick with that. Camilla took on royal life (not something she craved) late in life and has been exemplary in her work. She has tackled some v difficult topics such as domestic abuse and FGM. By some accounts she was terrified in the early days but this woman has backbone and has continued to represent the Crown in a positive way. what more would anyone want?
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #2938  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,702
Couldn't HM settle this by making a statement that she hoped her beloved DIL would be beside her dear son as Queen consort when the time comes?
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #2939  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The only somewhat verifiable quotes have come from Charles and Camilla. Over time, both of them have been asked if Camilla will be Queen. The remark in return was usually a "we'll have to wait and see" or something along those lines. That tells me its still up in the air.

The original statement released had the words "it is intended" within it. I intend to never set foot in New York but that could change as my life changes.
There's no definite to the "Princess Consort" title as of yet.
Right, it's why the media still beat this issue over the head over and over again. The issue isn't solved and the statements was just a PR spin to cool things down during the wedding year and to give people time to get used to Camilla as his future Queen Consort. In many ways it worked, but the issue will be a nightmare when the time comes.

Of course, the media and world will be busy mourning the passing of The Queen in the first weeks and a few months. It will all wear off though and the real issues will be debated leading up the Coronation Day.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2940  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Daenerys Targaryen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Blue Ocean, United States
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The thing is- I thought the Palace pretty much solved the issue with the Princess Consort title statement- the media think the Statement was only issued to calm people down over the issue and a PR move to give people time to get it used to Camilla as a future Queen.

This isnt about the so called "Diana Fanatics" but real issues that's just have a bandage over it. Some feeling have mellowed with time and the PR game have worked for many though.
The question is, was Charles sincere when he said Camilla will be Princess Consort, or was he lying in order to get the marriage through with a minimum of fuss, planning that afterwards he would just change it t Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Couldn't HM settle this by making a statement that she hoped her beloved DIL would be beside her dear son as Queen consort when the time comes?
What makes you think she would want to do that? She stonewalled the C+C relationship/marriage for decades.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Monarchy after Elizabeth II ysbel British Royals 490 09-20-2017 03:42 AM
Monarchy vs Republic marian Royalty Past, Present, and Future 393 08-14-2017 05:32 AM
The Monarchy in Greece Fireweaver The Royal Family of Greece 309 10-31-2016 05:54 PM
The Monarchy And The Media Alexandria Royal House of Norway 12 04-08-2004 04:06 PM




Popular Tags
albania best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria current events denmark fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe letizia monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie succession sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats victoria


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises