The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen View Post
He will need to learn to keep his mouth shut and his pen in the drawer. Remember last year when he compared Putin to Hitler? Or this year when he refused to meet China's Premier? These are not actions that he can contemplate if he is the Monarch.
you need to check facts
http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/p...6688550077.jpg

Old 02-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
He will need to learn to keep his mouth shut and his pen in the drawer. Remember last year when he compared Putin to Hitler? Or this year when he refused to meet China's Premier? These are not actions that he can contemplate if he is the Monarch.
Alternative facts? Prince Charles did not refuse to meet the Chinese premier. He and Camilla officially welcomed the Premier to London before the ceremonial welcome by the Queen. He and Camilla also welcomed the Premier and his wife to Clarence House where they had tea. There are photos on Getty.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Prince Charles is free to do what he pleases. However, he must remember an old Arab saying about the secret of power, " A sultan rules no one. Thousand eyes verify and direct his every step. If a sultan does anything against wishes of people [i.e., courtiers and government], he will be stopped and advised to change his wishes. If he persists, he will be removed from a throne for peace and quiet of the nation".
Old 02-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
"Learn to keep his mouth shut" - although you prob didnt mean to sound rude, that could perhaps have been better phrased.

the British people supported his view re Putin

He met with the Chinese President twice.

He knows better than anyone what is required to be Monarch.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
"Learn to keep his mouth shut" - although you prob didnt mean to sound rude, that could perhaps have been better phrased.

the British people supported his view re Putin ....
The same British people supported/support many unacceptable things the British Crown represented by the British government perpetrates all over the world.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The same British people supported/support many unacceptable things the British Crown represented by the British government perpetrates all over the world.
I was clarifying a situation

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

the British people supported his view re Putin

He met with the Chinese President twice.

He knows better than anyone what is required to be Monarch.
So, just asking here, you think it would have been just accepted as ok if QE had compared Putin to Hitler, and there would not have been a massive kerfuffle? While I personally think quite a bit of Putin's actions have been reprehensible , I highly doubt that the Queen would have made remarks like that. He will not be able to continue making remarks like this should he become sovereign.

I am curious as to why you think it was rude to say that he cant keep on doing these kinds of things i.e. keep his mouth shut on these subjects. And I believe that the Queen, who has been an exemplary sovereign for 60+ years, 'knows better than anyone what is required to be monarch'. She NEVER makes statements like this.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Monarchy under Charles

I tremble for the Monarchy's future, says STEPHEN GLOVER*

http://dailym.ai/2kbkVBE
I tend to agree with a lot of this
I should explain I agree with Charles views but I don't agree with him voicing them that's not part of the job.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I think for better or worse, when he steps in to take the throne he needs to learn how to shut his mouth. Monarchs are legally required publicly to express no opinion, to be politically neutral, to not favor one or the other. [....].
Which legislation says so, if I may ask? By my knowledge there is no Constitution in the United Kingdom. Without any doubt the King will, like all his colleagues, try to remain above parties -in public- (it is known that the Queen has an opinion on Brexit or Scottish independence) but you state "legally required". Which legislation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post

I tremble for the Monarchy's future, says STEPHEN GLOVER* | Daily Mail Online
I should explain I agree with Charles views but I don't agree with him voicing them that's not part of the job.
But he is not the monarch. He has no any role in the legislative or executive processes of Government and yes, he takes the opportunity to speak out. Like Diana did. Like Harry does. Their high profiles help them to influence causes to their heart. The Prince of Wales is no exception in that.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But he is not the monarch. He has no any role in the legislative or executive processes of Government and yes, he takes the opportunity to speak out. Like Diana did. Like Harry does. Their high profiles help them to influence causes to their heart. The Prince of Wales is no exception in that.

But he will be and things he has said will be dug up again
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Over the years The Queen has also voiced her opinions and dipped her toes into political issues. It's just a rare thing though.

Of course Charles won't get too political, but he will voice some opinions. He's not going to totally shut his mouth when he's king. That's not how he will operate and people get used to it with time. Right now, people are having time seeing a light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to the end of the Elizabethan Age.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

From this article:
Quote:
At the eleventh hour, the Prince of Wales could still follow the noble example of his mother, and unite rather than divide the country. But I fear that he has no intention of doing so — which is why I really do tremble for the future of our great monarchy.
And that's exactly what he's going to do.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
By my knowledge there is no Constitution in the United Kingdom.
What an extraordinary statement. If the UK has no constitution then I'm not sure what I studied during my constitutional law classes at university.

The British constitution certainly does exist. It is made up of a range of acts of Parliament, the common law and, of particular importance in this context, conventions. It is the settled convention in the UK that the monarch does not make political statements. Another is the deferment of the royal prerogatives of the monarch to ministers.

The moment British monarchs start to make overt political statements, of the like given just the other day by the Belgian king, is the day they sign their death warrant. However important Charles may think his opinions are and however much the public may agree with his opinions (there's plenty of disagreement in the country with what he says), he's going to have to learn to keep them to himself.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

I think what Duc was implying is that there is no written constitution setting out the role of the monarch and the limits of what they can and cannot do etc etc as there is in the Netherlands.

Charles has always been outspoken on a number of different issues, we know that and are used to it. If and how that changes once he becomes king is a different story.

The matter is often discussed in the following thread:

Prince Charles Being Political?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Nobility

Oh, I know there's no written constitution in the UK. But that does not mean, it doesn't even come close to meaning, that it does not exist.

Duc_et_Pair seems to be suggesting that because there is no single piece of paper that states the monarch should remain apolitical and steer clear of expressing personal political opinions in public, Charles has the option legally to continue on as he does now. That couldn't be much further from the truth. The settled conventions of the British Constitution are every bit as binding as any piece of legislation.

The only reason the British monarchy, compared to the other major European monarchies, managed survive following WWI is that the monarch reigns but doesn't rule. Charles has to understand that.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
The moment British monarchs start to make overt political statements, of the like given just the other day by the Belgian king, is the day they sign their death warrant. However important Charles may think his opinions are and however much the public may agree with his opinions (there's plenty of disagreement in the country with what he says), he's going to have to learn to keep them to himself.
That is actually the problem with so-called political statements: no matter how justified they may be, they will never have unanimous approval as politics are by nature divisive and there will always be people who disagree with one's political opinions and have an opposing view.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles wants a Queen Camilla. He’s still wrong. Here’s why -From The Spectator

Prince Charles wants a Queen Camilla. He’s still wrong. Here’s why
Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting article.

LaRae
Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Prince Charles wants a Queen Camilla. He’s still wrong. Here’s why -From The Spectator

Prince Charles wants a Queen Camilla. He’s still wrong. Here’s why
Perhaps written by one who has never "sinned"
Old 02-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Dear Melanie McDonough: So the premise is that the qualification for the Title of Queen is to be beloved? History is laughing at the idea.
And I'd posit that adultery on the throne has been rewarded in the past, just as long as things appeared placid on the surface. We all smile when someone notes "Happy wife, happy life." But "Happy Monarch, Happy Realm," has a ring of truth as well.
Interesting read, but I don't completely agree with the logic.
In fact, I'd say the modern monarchy does very much pay attention to the "like ability" of all its members. So what?
Surely some will choke on their breakfast cereal if Camilla becomes Queen. But many, many others will not give a nit, as long as she does not overspend or overstep.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v