The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Majesty

{I just pray that HM is around at least another decade before any of this happens. To me, there will never be another Queen Elizabeth like the one we have now. She is priceless in every way.}

Every word of your wonderful post rings true Lady October, and the last paragraph sums up my feelings precisely!

I have always had tremendous admiration for HM, and the longer she lives the more this is true.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Even in that case Charles would still be the next king. You have to be king to abdicate. He may be a very short reigned king, but fro, the time his mother dies until he officially abdicated, Charles would be king. A coronation is not required, as seen with Edward.
He could renounce his succession rights before ascending the throne. Technically it would be a renunciation, not an abdication, but the effect is the same. Either way, it would require special legislation in the UK and in other Commonwealth realms.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

William is in no way ready to be king. And if they continue to let him play family man, he never will.
Was Queen Elizabeth II "ready" when she ascended the throne at the age of 25 with two young children ? I am pretty sure William would step up to the job if he were required to take it.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When I think about it, neither the Queen or her father, George VI were ready to be the monarch. One was thrust into the role of king from an unexpected abdication and his daughter by her father's early death.

Charles, I think has the same respect towards the duty of a monarch as his mother does. His motto as The Prince of Wales is "Ich Dien" (German for "I Serve") and he's lived up to that motto. Charles also has a deep regard for tradition as well as a keen eye for looking into the future. With this in mind, I do believe that Charles' reign will be a fitting "transitional" monarchy between the traditional ways of the reign of his mother with a willingness to adapt the monarchy even more into the 21st century in preparation for William's reign.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Was Queen Elizabeth II "ready" when she ascended the throne at the age of 25 with two young children ? I am pretty sure William would step up to the job if he were required to take it.
Yes, William is prepared to take on the job if he's called to do so. Of course, he's not going to skip over his father, but if something happened to Charles before his succession, William will do his duty. They've been raised to take the top job on.

Also, they are surrounded by advisors to help them through the process.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

Unless Prince Charles is very very old or is in very poor health, he will be the King of England when the Queen passes.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Unless Prince Charles is very very old or is in very poor health, he will be the King of England when the Queen passes.
And King of a few other countries too!

I think he will be a good king. I saw the documentary Ant and Dec did on the Prince's Trust; Prince Charles may have made a bit of a mess of his private life, but in public he's a thoughtful caring type of bloke. And the public is all we should care about, Royals' private lives should be just that – private.*

* Apart from weddings of course!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post

His health or age will have no bearing on his right to inherit.

Even if he is mentally incapable of doing the job he will still be King with William as Regent.

He has to ask parliament to pass the necessary legislation to remove him from the line of succession or make a decision to convert to Roman Catholicism - otherwise if he outlives his mother, regardless of his health, he will be King.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
William could step in as king tomorrow. It's a constitutional role. You have next to no authority. You do what your ministers tell you to do and that's it.

Princess Eugenie could step in as Queen for that matter. Charles' 60 years as heir doesn't matter because his role as king will be completely different to that as Prince of Wales.

According to polls, William's future subjects seem to think he's ready.
I agree as William has had to be ready since he reached adulthood. It is important to remember there is a well-oiled machine that will smooth the transition from one monarch to another. So yes if an incredible accident occurs and Princess Eugenie is the next highest remaining person in the line of succession then she would have all the assistance and support to become the next monarch.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
How are these two things comparable?

Elizabeth wasnt ready, even she I am sure would tell you that. She had no choice. Her father didn't choose to die.

Charles has a choice. He has chosen to support his adult son to continue to be a part time Royal well beyond when other royals stepped up to duties. Charles knows better than anyone the work, training, understanding that goes into becoming a king. Unlike his grandfather, he has the Choice not to put his son on the throne before he is ready.

We all hope the queen lives another decade, but the fact is she is almost 91. We can hope she lives as long as her mother, but she may not. William needs some years of actually stepping up and being a royal, and Kate.

A monarch is only as good as their support. Will is not the only one not ready. Kate certainly is not ready to be queen consort. Love her or hate her, Camilla is much more ready for a roll supporting the king, then Kate. And the longer Kate remains away with the kids instead of doing more duties, the longer that learning time will be.

The reality his being prince and Princess of Wales is an important step. It is a transition period. You take on new duties, you take more responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
His health or age will have no bearing on his right to inherit.

Even if he is mentally incapable of doing the job he will still be King with William as Regent.

He has to ask parliament to pass the necessary legislation to remove him from the line of succession or make a decision to convert to Roman Catholicism - otherwise if he outlives his mother, regardless of his health, he will be King.
And he had to be mentally capacitance to ask to be removed. So if he was in bad enough health, it likely would never get passed. They would simply have a regent. But considering the age of his parents, and he is likely to be king in his seventies, not very likely to be the case. He could reign for a good fifteen to twenty years.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:28 AM
Majesty

EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: Prince William upstaging his father | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

If Ephraim is a journalist, then I am the King of Norway.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Luxembourg and the Netherlands have a tradition for abdication. And even then, Beatrix wa spurned on by her son dying. Albert and just Carlos didn't simply abdicate because they wanted to retire and let a younger generation be king. JC retired due to scandal and Albert due to failing health.

British royaks more than any believe in reigning until death. Charles is not going to simply abdicate for his son and retire. Charles has spent decades preparing fir this role and his chance, he won't simply hand that over.

William is in no way ready to be king. And if they continue to let him play family man, he never will. As Prince of Wales he will have to take on more responsibility. His good looking kids will only help his popularity so long. He can use his fathers reign to build up his own working image. It will help his father's reign and strengthen his own eventual.
I know that Britain has no tradition of abdication but my point was more about the generational thing: Jean, Beatrix, Albert and Juan Carlos all ended their kingship in more or less the same age-group as when Charles will possibly start his Reign. So the idea of "young and fresh hands taking over" is lost in Charles' case due to the long, recordbreaking Reign of his mother. When Charles takes over, then a man already in retirement age will take over. It is not so strange that -especially for the younger, instagramming, tumblr-ing, facebooking, snapchatting and twittering public Harry and William have a more popular profile than their father and stepmother.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
{I just pray that HM is around at least another decade before any of this happens. To me, there will never be another Queen Elizabeth like the one we have now. She is priceless in every way.}

Every word of your wonderful post rings true Lady October, and the last paragraph sums up my feelings precisely!

I have always had tremendous admiration for HM, and the longer she lives the more this is true.
To me it is a bit unhealthy when a modern, innovative "global Britain" (the new pet word of Mrs May) clings to a possibly101-years old head of state whom started her immensely long Reign when Sir Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister.... We are not talking about a head of state with executive powers like the presidents of France, Russia or the United States. We are talking about a ceremonial head of state. On itself it should be no problem to give way to a successor. If even a Pope can retire, so can a Queen. I understand the desire for a long, longer, longest reign of a beloved Queen we all have expierenced as long as we live on this globe, but I feel somewhere common sense should prevail too. If a 101 years old gerontocrat can hold the "reins of state" this is at the same time also giving the message: anyone can do this "job".
Old 01-18-2017, 04:41 AM
Majesty

I stil have not got the point of this article.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
To me it is a bit unhealthy when a modern, innovative "global Britain" (the new pet word of Mrs May) clings to a possibly101-years old head of state whom started her immensely long Reign when Sir Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister.... We are not talking about a head of state with executive powers like the presidents of France, Russia or the United States. We are talking about a ceremonial head of state. On itself it should be no problem to give way to a successor. If even a Pope can retire, so can a Queen. I understand the desire for a long, longer, longest reign of a beloved Queen we all have experienced as long as we live on this globe, but I feel somewhere common sense should prevail too.

If a 101 years old gerontological can hold the "reins of state" this is at the same time also giving the message: anyone can do this "job".
I find that part of your comment a bit harsh about HM, as we all know nobody ask her to be queen, she was in this position because of the early death of her father. And just because people get old does not mean that they are feeble minded and can't perform their job whatever it might be. I think IMO that if HM was not able to perform her duties then she would be the very first to let her family know and then with her guidance things would fall into place where her son and his children would take over more duties. I don't mean to be critical of your comment yet I see her in a more positive light then perhaps you do.

Nobody wants to hear of her passing for it will be one of the saddest times of our lives here and elsewhere, yet it will happen so I think that it would behoove us to just enjoy seeing her out and doing what she wants to do regardless of her age.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 AM
Courtier

I think it will be the Victoria- Edward VII - George V scenario all over again. A very long reign, followed by a very short reign, followed by a reign with at least 1 jubilee.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see Charles' reign as necessarily being 'short'. He has always taken care of his health and there is no reason therefore to assume he won't live to the same age as his mother at least - giving him a reign of 22 years.

With the improvements in medical care it is highly possible that he could make it to 25 years after his mother's passing - giving him a Jubilee.

William has been both a smoker and a drinker so hasn't taken as good a care of his health as his father.

Who knows.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

When has William even been seen smoking?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
When has William even been seen smoking?
We have seen Harry smoke but not William

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v