The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2016, 12:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
George V's eldest great-grandchild is Prince Charles (1948), followed by Anne (1950), then the current Earl of Harewood (1950). His youngest great-grandchild is Lady Gabriella Windsor (1981), followed by Lady Rose Gilman (1980), then Lord Frederick Windsor (1979). George V has 6 great-great-grandchildren who are older than his youngest great-grandchild.
Thank you. If there's one thing I can depend on here is that there is someone that will willingly put the facts into good order and also throw some interesting facts into the mix.

@Jmsrichie01 As you've stated:

Quote:
Hmm. Perhaps. The siblings don't all seem too close.

But even Princess Margaret attended Christmas at Sandringham Evan in old age, no? Perhaps because of the Queen Mother, but perhaps because of the monarch.
That's the entire point I was trying to put across. The Queen Mother was Margaret's mom and Elizabeth is her sister. We know that these three women were extremely close with each other.

Charles, in his reign, may find an evening more enjoyable spending it with Andrew Parker-Bowles than with his brother Andrew.

A private holiday at a monarch's home is most likely planned at the prerogative of the monarch. Not by protocol or succession in line to the monarchy or by genetics but what makes for the best holiday gathering.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
There are plenty of videos of the RF celebrating Christmas at Windsor before the fire, maybe Charles will go back to this with more royals in attendance before a quiet rest of the Christmas break at Sandringham or Balmoral? It does go to show though that whilst most people now think the Queen always goes to Sandringham for Christmas and that its a long standing royal tradition, in fact new traditions are started all the time.

(1981)
(1985)
Sandringham is a fairly long standing tradition. It may have been dropped for awhile, but it's been where Christmas was celebrated by the BRF for a long time. Edward VII bought the estate, but I believe it was George V who started the tradition of Christmas there. It was during his reign in 1932 that they set up a radio studio in Sandringham so that the first Christmas message could be broadcast live from there. It was broadcast live from Sandringham almost every year after that until 1959, when the Queen began pre-recording them.

I'm not sure at what point the Queen's family began doing Christmas at Windsor, as I can't find anything specific on it before 1981. But I did spend a bit of time googling it, and it looks like from 1981 - 1987 the family attended the Christmas service at St George's Chapel, implying a Royal Christmas at Windsor, but by 1988 photos and videos show that they were back at Sandringham and St Mary Magdalene Church for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsrichie01 View Post
Hmm. Perhaps. The siblings don't all seem too close.

But even Princess Margaret attended Christmas at Sandringham Evan in old age, no? Perhaps because of the Queen Mother, but perhaps because of the monarch.
I believe Princess Margaret attended Christmas with her sister's family up until her passing. It's been reported that Princess Margaret's family is fairly close with the Queen, and that Prince Charles at least is close with his cousins. There have been years since Princess Margaret's death that her children and their families have continued to do Christmas at Sandringham.

Which of his siblings Charles is close with is a bit of a toss up. It's typically implied that Anne and Charles, and their families, get along well, while Charles isn't seen as close with his brothers (although Harry is close with Andrew's family).

Again, I think what Christmas for the BRF is going to look like under Charles is likely to have more to do with the size of the extended family than any perceived closeness. Sandringham isn't a large estate and the family isn't small at this point. I believe we already see the Phillips, Tindalls, and Cambridges trading off on years at Sandringham and years not at Sandringham. I wouldn't be surprised if, as Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, and even in time Louise and James begin to get marry and have their own families that we'll really see a change in who attends Christmas at Sandringham.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Anne of course is a little different. She's usually in excellent health, and I'm sure she can organise anything! She has a husband as well as children and grandchildren, so if she and her family is missed off the list to stay at Sandringham in the future Batcombe is an excellent alternative. All the same, I do think that most of the royals thoroughly enjoy their Christmas at Sandringham with all its traditions.
As we've been discussing this and I've been thinking out the scenario I've been torn between thinking that Anne will be the first of Charles' siblings to stop doing Christmas at Sandringham, and being the last of the siblings to do so.

On the one hand, her children are adults with families of their own, and I think it would be quite easy for her and Tim to host a smaller Christmas for their children and grandchildren (or to let their children begin hosting a smaller Christmas).

On the other hand, I think Anne and Charles are probably closer than either is with Andrew or Edward, and we know that the Cambridges and Harry are fairly close with the Phillipses and and Tindalls - and Charles' grandchildren are fairly close in age to Anne's grandchildren (in my experience, it's actually easier to do big family things with many small children than it is to do it with just a couple; when there's lots, they'll all entertain themselves. With just one or two, they'll spend as much time pestering the adults as playing). I also think Anne has more appreciation for the responsibility that comes with the station of being royal than her younger siblings. As much as Christmas at Sandringham might be seen as a family vacation, it does come with it the public walk to the church, and the public attendance of the church service. I wouldn't be surprised if Anne sees this as a part of her responsibility as a royal, while Andrew and Edward see it as something their parents make them do.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:09 AM
Royal Highness

And yet, just my impression, Anne would be the least bothered about not being seen my the media on her way to church. I suspect Andrew and his girls like the attention and likewise Sophie Wessex. That's not to say that's the only reason they go but I really don't think Anne is bothered about that side of it at all and would, in that regard, be happy to sit in the privacy of Gatcombe with her family.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Courtier

I think actual holidays will be Charles, Camilla and their descendants. Trooping and BP lunch will be the current and future descendants of the current monarch under Charles, then like wise with William. Current monarch's descendants will come and go for short week or weekends at Balmoral under Charles, but long term visits will be his descendants.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
And yet, just my impression, Anne would be the least bothered about not being seen my the media on her way to church. I suspect Andrew and his girls like the attention and likewise Sophie Wessex. That's not to say that's the only reason they go but I really don't think Anne is bothered about that side of it at all and would, in that regard, be happy to sit in the privacy of Gatcombe with her family.

I don't think Anne needs to be seen by the media. I do think she knows that the walk to church and being seen by the public is a part of the duty of the BRF.

I disagree that Sophie likes the attention of the media, as her and her family seem to live fairly private lives. As for the York girls... given as just about every article about them is I doubt they enjoy the media attention either (especially Eugenie, who seems to want to live a private life herself).
Old 12-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Nobility

I was wondering at what age Prince Charles will feel able to reduce his own royal workload, whether King or not. At 68, he is (along with his sister) by far the busiest royal but he won't be able to keep this pace for ever.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Majesty

I would say if he continues good health as his mother has, you will see him working at a fairly full pace another 15 years.

LaRae
Old 12-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
At least another good 15-20 years.

From what I've come to know about Charles is that, like his father and his mother, he's not inclined to think a good day is one spent in an easy chair in front of the TV set and often has things going on around him. Its been quipped that this is a man that takes a brisk walk to relax.

I would also surmise that if Charles ever did slow down and take it easy more, it wouldn't be at his own preference but most likely from a medical condition or by his doctor's orders. He's a very healthy man now for the most part as far as I know. He's not a smoker or a habitual drinker and eats healthy.

Lots of busy miles in the old boy to go.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:01 PM
Majesty

Well 15 would put him almost mid 90's...I figure 20 would be pushing it lol

laRae
Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well 15 would put him almost mid 90's...I figure 20 would be pushing it lol

laRae
He was born in Nov 1948 - 15 yrs is 83. So 20 years is entirely possible!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 AM
Majesty

Oh I was thinking he was older than he was....20 years to 25 even! lol

LaRae
Old 12-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I don't think Anne needs to be seen by the media. I do think she knows that the walk to church and being seen by the public is a part of the duty of the BRF.

I disagree that Sophie likes the attention of the media, as her and her family seem to live fairly private lives. As for the York girls... given as just about every article about them is I doubt they enjoy the media attention either (especially Eugenie, who seems to want to live a private life herself).
I truly agree with you on this. I believe that when Charles becomes king, except for official duties and ceremonies, he, his wife, his children and their children will be the tight core of public appearances. His siblings will still honor their charities and we will see them when they do. But, I believe that it is getting to the point when these charities will enjoy the "top entertainers" to support them and raise money rather than royals. The younger generation seems to enjoy the showy rather than the sedate royals who just smile and shake hands. And really, those are the age group that Charles must engage to keep his country behind him. He has done a wonderful job with his trust for the youth so he know exactly where the future must head. Just my opinion, but I do see Charles as extremely progressive and wise in limiting the royal core while engaging British sport and true entertainers to spark enthusiasm back in the younger generation all under his intelligent eye.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

This is interesting and thoughtful..

...about a post-Queen Britain.

Commentary: Can Britain’s monarchy survive without the queen? | Reuters

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The writer says it himself - he is a republican, bewrare of bias. Even the most diehard republicans know that change is not going happen while the Queen is alive.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Majesty

Life after Queen Elizabeth II: Why Prince Charles will never hand the crown to Prince William
Old 01-17-2017, 02:39 AM
Majesty

Half of British public wants Prince William to succeed the Queen | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 01-17-2017, 04:53 AM
Majesty

The same "British public" who would like to see sporty and popular Harry to become King, rather than his dull, sleepwalking and apparently "lazy" brother William?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Royal Highness

For the gazillionth time, the throne is neither elective nor a 'popularity contest' ! Barring his death Charles WILL be the next King.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
For the gazillionth time, the throne is neither elective nor a 'popularity contest' ! Barring his death Charles WILL be the next King.
Unless he abdicates of course.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v