The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Her official title will NEVER be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales. Catherine is not a princess in her own right. All these dumb writers have to do is read Wikipedia to figure that out.

I just watched an TV program with the POW and the man giving the interview called Diana. Princess Diana right to Charles. He still cringes when they mention her name...any way my point is they never (the press) get titles and styles correct...So they get paid to know the facts but dont take the time to research a name

Old 11-20-2010, 03:29 AM

Charles was hesitant to say too much, or too little?about being King or about Camilla being, or not being Queen. That's just an example of how deeply and seriously he considers things. He's very careful. He knows that things are always changing. Nothing is static. Life is always transforming. Laws are rewritten. Laws become obsolete. The world marches on. He is a wise man. God bless the Prince of Wales.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I just watched an TV program with the POW and the man giving the interview called Diana. Princess Diana right to Charles. He still cringes when they mention her name...any way my point is they never (the press) get titles and styles correct...So they get paid to know the facts but dont take the time to research a name
Was it the name or the title that caused him to cringe? She would correct people who called her Princess Diana as she knew that it wasn't correct and Charles is such a stickler for correct titles etc that I think he might have been more cringing at the continued ignorance of the people asking that they couldn't get her title correct. He was reportedly on good terms with her when she died and she is the mother of his sons so I don't think he would be cringing at her name at all.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Did anyone see the interview on NBC Dateline last night with Prince Charles? I had the impression from the questions posed and how he responded that he isn't too keen on becoming King. He knows that he has a certain amount of freedom as the Prince of Wales to pursue his environmental passions and speak out about the issues that are most important to him, and he knows that once he becomes King, he will need to be nuetral rather than make political or public stands for the things he is passionate about.

I have to wonder if Prince Charles WILL ascend to the throne once the Queen passes. He is very much set in his ways and as such will find it very difficult to mold himself into the role a King must adhere to. He isn't a young man and I think if he is forced to give up the passions that have drive him now, he will be extremely unhappy.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Was it the name or the title that caused him to cringe? She would correct people who called her Princess Diana as she knew that it wasn't correct and Charles is such a stickler for correct titles etc that I think he might have been more cringing at the continued ignorance of the people asking that they couldn't get her title correct. He was reportedly on good terms with her when she died and she is the mother of his sons so I don't think he would be cringing at her name at all.

you may be correct, but he was promoting a new book he wrote I don't understand why here in the US and other places they always have to bring her into it.
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...bAisJcGhvLZUPg
Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I guess this is about the Monarchy under King Charles.

Camilla could be Queen: Charles breaks five-year silence on future role of his second wife | Mail Online
Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Would the issue whether the wife of Charles should be styled Queen ever have been discussed if he still were married to Diana?

Assuming no tradegies, Camilla will one day be married to the King whether we like her or not.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I have to wonder if Prince Charles WILL ascend to the throne once the Queen passes. He is very much set in his ways and as such will find it very difficult to mold himself into the role a King must adhere to. He isn't a young man and I think if he is forced to give up the passions that have drive him now, he will be extremely unhappy.

When the Queen passes he automatically ascends the throne. He has no say in the matter. If he doesn't want to do it he will have to get the legislation passed during the present reign. He won't do that. Really it is like any other job - good and bad parts. He knows what he can't do in his job (like I know things I can't do in mine) and will fit into that mold when the time comes. He also expresses a lack of enthusiasm at times because it means that his mother will have died. For those of us who have lost our mothers that is a traumatic occasion at whatever age it happens and for Charles at 62 it will be an awful day.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Gentry

Charles has been heir apparent virtually his entire life, the prospect of being king is "part of his DNA" to use revolting current corporate-speak. And word is he is rather keen on the idea and has been planning his own coronation for years. Tales have been told of "don't you know who I am, I'm going to be king one day" style rants; I doubt there's much chance of Charles stepping aside when his time comes.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_Lulu View Post
Tales have been told of "don't you know who I am, I'm going to be king one day" style rants;
What tales may they be? What "don't you know who I am?" rants? Do tell.
Reliable sources would be good too.

Quote:
I doubt there's much chance of Charles stepping aside when his time comes.
It'll be a bit late "when his time comes" as the way it works is "The Queen is dead. Long love the King!".
His accession as Monarch is immediate upon the death of his mother.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Would the issue whether the wife of Charles should be styled Queen ever have been discussed if he still were married to Diana?

Assuming no tradegies, Camilla will one day be married to the King whether we like her or not.
No, Diana would have been Queen Diana no discussion whatsoever.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

BBC News - Cameron: 'Too early' to say if Camilla could be Queen
Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Moderator Emeritus

David Cameron hints that he would support Duchess of Cornwall as queen - Telegraph

The Prime Minister was asked whether he would support the idea after the Prince of Wales indicated for the first time that she could become Queen Camilla when he ascends the throne.

Asked whether he was "up for Queen Camilla", Mr Cameron said it was "too early for decisions" but acknowledged that it was a subject that would be discussed at some point.

He said: "I'm a big Camilla fan."
Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Courtier

I'm not sure I agree with him that it is too early for discussions. It might actually be better to settle it once and for all - is the wife of The King going to be called Queen or not?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think these polls should be asking people who they want to see as the next monarch, because they might begin to think they have some choice in the matter. It is not an elected monarchy; provided he survives his mother, Charles will become king the moment her Majesty dies. His wife will become Queen Consort at that moment, too. The only question to be determined is whether Camilla is to ber known as something other than Queen Consort.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness

Why wouldn´t Camilla be known as Queen? She will, after all, be married to a king.

I am aware of the status of Philip and our own Henrik being Prince Consorts and not kings. But a king is the person who rules the land and that lies in the title. It does not lie in the title of the Queen.

Pleas enlighten me :)
Old 11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
I'm not sure I agree with him that it is too early for discussions. It might actually be better to settle it once and for all - is the wife of The King going to be called Queen or not?
I agree. When will be the right time? When HM has died and Charles is King? It will be a bit too late then, because Camilla will be Queen and a decision that she is not to be called Queen will be like a demotion. And it would be rather unseemly to have such a discussion, which will no doubt involve some name-calling and unpleasant dredging up of incidents in the past, when the members of the RF and the people are still grieving the loss of their long-serving and very much loved mother and grandmother and monarch.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Absolutely. Then there's the whole question of what happens after Charles and Camilla. Do we have a King and his princess consort, then go back to having King William and Queen Catherine or is it princess consort from now on. The need to decide, draw a line under it and let everybody move on.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Why wouldn´t Camilla be known as Queen? She will, after all, be married to a king.

I am aware of the status of Philip and our own Henrik being Prince Consorts and not kings. But a king is the person who rules the land and that lies in the title. It does not lie in the title of the Queen.

Pleas enlighten me :)
Because Charles has had Diana as a wife previously, and the story behind him and Camilla. Yes she will be married to the King, and therefore will be Queen. But I honestly think that government/monarchy in a sense are afraid of what the public will say.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Because Charles has had Diana as a wife previously, and the story behind him and Camilla. Yes she will be married to the King, and therefore will be Queen. But I honestly think that government/monarchy in a sense are afraid of what the public will say.
Ahh, so she will, by title, be queen, but will be known as Duchess or something else?

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v