The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

I always love how people think Charles' reign will be short. Sure it won't be as long as his mother's but ... if her lives to the exact same age as his mother he will reign for over 20 years - hardly a short reign.

Given the longevity of his ancestors (sure both his grandfathers died young but neither of them took care of their health and they didn't have the health care we have today) he will have a decent length of reign.

I don't see William reigning for another 30 or so years.

In fact I think Britain is in for a series of 60+ kings at accession unless one decides to abdicate, or a tragedy strikes, or the country becomes a republic.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

We don't know when the Queen will pass on though. If it's next week, then Charles perhaps may well reign for twenty years, though good genetics isn't a cast iron guarantee that your own health is going to be excellent throughout old age.

If the Queen echoes her mother and lives to be 102 then Charles will be eighty when he ascends the throne and it might indeed be a fairly short reign of less than twenty years. For William to come to the throne at 60 plus, Charles would have to live to be 93 or 94 or more, and again, there's no guarantee of that.

The British public might regard a succession of aged or very mature men as Kings as being quite uninspiring actually.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Will be very interesting! Charles is far more engaged in the world than his mother. He is conversant with the world's movers and shakers, being one himself via his progressive, life-long interests and accomplishments. I think you mis-judge how much Prince Charles is respected in the world. His reign will be very interesting.

I doubt it, at least in the way I think you mean this, given he has already made a substantial difference in his country, and in the world, prior to being monarch.

Like every British monarch I assume he will do all he can to make sure he has a monarchy to hand off to his son and heir. But King Charles himself will be sorely missed when he passes on. Prince William will have large shoes to fill.

Just my view.
Time will have to tell on the engagement thing, one of the things that people (and even myself) like about the Queen is that she keeps her opinions to herself, theres a nice interview with Patrick Jephson about that we dont know the Queens views on global warming, organic gardening, paper vs plastic, coke or pepsi, etc. so to speak.

She stays above the frey of alot of things, something mr "black spider" letter will have a hard time doing, and i fear he'll go the other way in an effort to do as much in the short time he will have. But to be fair, the blame for that is at the queens feet, shes had ample time to school him on the art of doing as she does.

Also to be fair he's done a lot of things, but hes also had a lot of time and resources available to do so, and I think to be honest he was short changed a bit in that having to wait so long for his turn, he could have been given more of her duties to do. It seemed often he was left on his own to create things to do to fill the time, and that led to some of the things the press likes to mock him about.

In older times most monarchs didnt reign as long as Elizabeth has, and while i dont suggest she step down, on the contrary, I hope she lives as long as possible to allow things to play out. But I do think she should have given him " a taste" of the crown earlier, it might have boosted his ego and given his role more definition and avoided some of his personal problems, and as a result, helped the family as a whole and made his reign easier.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The very fact that George will be in his 20s is the reason for the calls for the throne to bypass a middle-aged William.

The British seem to like their monarchs old and thus wise and respected or young but while middle-aged they aren't so popular.

That was the case with the Queen - when Charles was in his 20s and early 30s there were calls for her to abdicate and then as he hit his late 30s and early 40s until now in his late 60s there calls were for the throne to go to William (even when William was still a minor).

This is nothing new - it is the way of things e.g. there were calls for Victoria to abdicate during the 1860s and early 1870s to sure up the monarchy when its popularity plummeted in the early years of her mourning and there was a young married couple to lead them ... but in time her popularity returned.

It isn't even about the individual but the institution regardless of the individual - the young and old are loved for differing reasons while the middle-aged are seen as boring and not inspiring enough.
I agree. Popularity works in cycles for the BRF.

William/Catherine/Harry will only be adored for about another 10 years then they'll hit a lull. William and Catherine will experience a rebound of affection in their mid-70's when they reach that cute, old person age. As Harry won't be the PoW or HM, he'll probably not get a rebound and instead he'll be largely forgotten about by the general public. The fate of all the younger siblings when they reach old age.

I think we'll see something similar with Charles. Over the next 5-10 years, the public will likely become more and more fond of Charles and Camilla. While Anne/Andrew/Edward continue their downward streak of relevance.

In 20 years, the polls will show Charles, George, and Charlotte as the most poplar royals. Whilst William, Catherine, and Harry will be least popular.

In 50 years, the polls will show William, Catherine, and their grandchildren as the most popular. George and Charlotte will have the lowest approval score.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
People never factor in the attractiveness of a Harry and Wife with babies in tow when William and Catherine's children are morose teenagers.

I could see a very popular Charles and Camilla, and some misgivings about the dour William in the face of a breezy Harry, young wife and babies. Just a thought.
You may be right.

Quote:
Will be very interesting! Charles is far more engaged in the world than his mother. He is conversant with the world's movers and shakers, being one himself via his progressive, life-long interests and accomplishments. I think you mis-judge how much Prince Charles is respected in the world. His reign will be very interesting.

I doubt it, at least in the way I think you mean this, given he has already made a substantial difference in his country, and in the world, prior to being monarch.

Like every British monarch I assume he will do all he can to make sure he has a monarchy to hand off to his son and heir. But King Charles himself will be sorely missed when he passes on. Prince William will have large shoes to fill.

Just my view.
I am a big supporter/fan of Charles and everything he has done for the UK and the Commonwealth, and I am sure he will be a very good monarch.

But for me and many others will neither him, William or anyone else be able to replace our matchless Queen.

Our beloved, iconic, remarkable Elizabeth II is the UK and the Commonwealth and she is as Obama said a jewel to the world.

She is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations as no other. She's was known as the world's top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is as several of the so-called experts said on British/American/Canadian television during her 90th birthday celebrations and Jubilee celebrations in 2012 a symbol of continuity and goodness in the world. And as Baroness Scotland said during an interview: She is kind, caring, warm, forgiving and concerned with poor people, young people and people who are struggling.

Monarchs, Presidents, former Prime Ministers, former employees and family member have said the same and the Queen herself has mentioned it several times in her speeches over the years.

She is simply THE QUEEN and world leders around the world admirer her, and she make me proud to be half-British. We should be proud to live in this admirable lady's reign.

There will be no one like her again, and I agree with Tony Parsons that she will be the last monarch who will be a truly unifying force in our nation, but the monarchy will continue to endure in to future with Charles, William and George.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duch_Luver_4ever View Post
Time will have to tell on the engagement thing, one of the things that people (and even myself) like about the Queen is that she keeps her opinions to herself, theres a nice interview with Patrick Jephson about that we dont know the Queens views on global warming, organic gardening, paper vs plastic, coke or pepsi, etc. so to speak.

She stays above the frey of alot of things, something mr "black spider" letter will have a hard time doing, and i fear he'll go the other way in an effort to do as much in the short time he will have. But to be fair, the blame for that is at the queens feet, shes had ample time to school him on the art of doing as she does.

Also to be fair he's done a lot of things, but hes also had a lot of time and resources available to do so, and I think to be honest he was short changed a bit in that having to wait so long for his turn, he could have been given more of her duties to do. It seemed often he was left on his own to create things to do to fill the time, and that led to some of the things the press likes to mock him about.

In older times most monarchs didnt reign as long as Elizabeth has, and while i dont suggest she step down, on the contrary, I hope she lives as long as possible to allow things to play out. But I do think she should have given him " a taste" of the crown earlier, it might have boosted his ego and given his role more definition and avoided some of his personal problems, and as a result, helped the family as a whole and made his reign easier.
Did you miss the publishing of the "Black Spider Letters" and the fact that Charles letters were exposed for what they really were? While I'm a wuss when it comes to Badger culls, I nevertheless understand the need and there must be thousands of members of the Armed Forces and their families pleased to know that he went in to bat for their benefit re the lack of resources.

He is not the only one that has written letters about the ugly Chelsea Barracks plans, just the most well known and he is as entitled to write those letters as are any other members of the public. Whether or not the Ministers take any notice is a mystery to us all as their correspondence was not required to be released.

So keep on writing Charles. If nothing else it shows you are in the know as to what is happening in your own country and expressing your own opinion!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer on his Twitter page May 10th, responding to a tweet about Sophie as Duchess of Edinburgh in public life.

'A senior Royal source told me a while ago that the view at BP is that Charles's siblings will not be funded when he is King.'
Old 05-11-2016, 12:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Richard Palmer on his Twitter page May 10th, responding to a tweet about Sophie as Duchess of Edinburgh in public life.

'A senior Royal source told me a while ago that the view at BP is that Charles's siblings will not be funded when he is King.'
I thought people already knew that. Seems like a good idea to me though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 AM
Heir Apparent

A good idea for Charles maybe, but to who else? Do you think Charles will get any less money then his mother did? No. The difference will be Charles and his sons will get all the money. How many charities will lose patrons? people complain they don't see royals enough. Does anyone think that Charles, his sons and Kate can handle even 1/10 of the work currently done by them, queen, DOE, Gloucesters, Kents, Princess Alexandra,Edward, Sophie, Anne and Andrew? Cant even play the 'save on security' as we know Andrew and Edward pay their own.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:50 AM
Royal Highness

You can't trust Richard Palmer, and as other royal cources and our member cepe has said: Charles isn't that kind of person, so he will never do that to them.

Anne, Edward and Sophie has worked tirelessly for the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth and (alltrohg he's not my favorite person) the same goes for Andrew. And I am sure that they will continue to do so, as long as they want.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:24 AM
Courtier

Yeah, I've never known Palmer to have a scoop, he always reports things after the fact. He even gets out-scooped by the fiction-peddling Daily Fail. Embarrassing.

Like Royal Norway said, there's no way Charles would push his siblings into retirement. Even if we remove sentiment and sibling loyalty, it makes no sense. They would continue to live in very expensive housing, without doing royal duties. What a PR mess that would be for the BRF. Might as well let them continue. They cost the government much less in security than the Wales branch, to boot.

I don't think it was the intention to ever cut off the established working royals. They get grandfathered in. The intent is not to add more. Keep out Beatrice and Eugenie. Then let attrition take over.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The idea is to have a small working firm. The Kent's, Gloucester's, and Wessex's have served well, but there will be changes under the new Monarch.

Now, I don't know if Charles will totally cut them off, but the focus will be on Charles's family. The minor royals can continue supporting their charities and patronages. Edward and Sophie, now and into the future, have The DoE Awards to handle.

The Cambridge's and Prince Harry goal is to focus on charities and other organizations that they can be hands on with. I don't think they will be extending their patronages to the hundreds. Supporting tons of charities sounds impressive and grand, but I think those days are over.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-11-2016, 03:29 AM
Royal Highness

If Charles was going to cut them off, then he must be a very cold person, and he's not.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The idea is to have a small working firm. The Kent's, Gloucester's, and Wessex's have served well, but there will be changes under the new Monarch.

Now, I don't know if Charles will totally cut them off, but the focus will be on Charles's family. The minor royals can continue supporting their charities and patronages. Edward and Sophie, now and into the future, have The DoE Awards to handle.

The Cambridge's and Prince Harry goal is to focus on charities and other organizations that they can be hands on with. I don't think they will be extending their patronages to the hundreds. Supporting tons of charities sounds impressive and grand, but I think those days are over.
I don't think Charles would ever kick anyone to the curb either but with the new monarch, comes a new monarchy and I think we'll see that reflected mostly in the way the BRF takes on causes. It won't be the opening of St. Joe's Home for Wayward Skunks or Miss Dalton's Fine School of Basket Weaving but will be centered more so on issues such as mental health which can encompass many different organizations.

This is generally the way the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry is organized now with some of their causes extending even to an international scope as we've seen with the Invictus Games which easily could fall under a couple of the issues that this foundation supports. The more people you get working together on any cause or issue, the more the message gets out there and social media will make it so much easier to reach more people faster. Its the way things work now.

We can't expect the monarchy to operate as it did 30 years ago and without changes, the Firm risks being outmoded, stagnant and irrelevant to the people.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree there will be changes. I think Charles's siblings live in property which they own or are on very long leases, so the housing won't be an issue. I do think that Charles's emphasis will be on a small royal family as is the way with the Continental and Scandi royalty.

Charities and causes will be, I believe, squirrelled away more and more into Foundations headed by senior royals, and numbered in the dozens for each, not the hundreds.

There would be nothing at all stopping Anne or the others carrying on with their favourite charities, and I expect they will, but I do think the days of make-do work is finished for the BRF once Charles becomes King.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 AM
Courtier

I remember a fairly recent interview with Anne where she talked about how she planned to have the same workload as her parents when she was their age, "that it was in the blood".

Anne doesn't think she's being sent out to pasture during her brother's reign. And she would have a much better idea of Charles' plans than anyone on the royal forums.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

If we look beyond Charles immediate accession it seems clear that in time the intention is for the royal family to focus on the monarch and spouse, heir and spouse and children of the heir. Siblings will become less important so that when they are downgraded from sibling to uncle/aunt they will be retiring and even possibly their spouse will have to have their own job and not do royal duties at all.

That is what I think the British public are really wanting - not all the hangers-on but a few really identifiable royals in direct succession.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
First and foremost, the Queen reigns. She does not rule.

Over the decades since Charles left the Royal Navy, he's carved out his own role as the Prince of Wales. He started the Prince's Trust with his pension from the Navy and being a man who takes walks to relax, got himself involved in many, many different things besides waiting for the "top job". With his involvement in different things and taking an active hands on part in them, he was in the position to know what works and what doesn't work. He would then write his "black spider" letters. He was not political but concerned. To be honest, I truly believe that Charles' legacy lies more in his decades as the PoW and what he's accomplished. As King, it remains to be seen what his reign will entail or the length of it. My crystal ball is broken.

Charles did something that I've only seen once and nearly fell off my chair. When the black spider letters were deemed to be published, I would say that 98% of the feedback at the Daily Mail was very supportive of Charles. I had never seen this before on the DM and probably never will again.

Duch, you do know that you do not have to degrade, denigrate, berate or malign other members of the BRF to make Diana look good right? When that happens, it shows the difference between admiration and respect for a person and obsession.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
[One does] not have to degrade, denigrate, berate or malign other members of the BRF to make Diana look good right? When that happens, it shows the difference between admiration and respect for a person and obsession.
Good point.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Charles did something that I've only seen once and nearly fell off my chair. When the black spider letters were deemed to be published, I would say that 98% of the feedback at the Daily Mail was very supportive of Charles. I had never seen this before on the DM and probably never will again.
That was a fun day wasn't it. To see all the predictions about the coming fall of Charles only to see the overwhelming agreement with his letters in the DM and elsewhere as it was shown what a wonderful caring man the UK's next monarch is - a man who truly cares about his people and the issues that affect them.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v