The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Sunday Express | UK News :: EXCLUSIVE: Charles 'to rule at 65’ as Queen 'steps aside'

Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Courtier

If spokesmen at Buckingham Palace are to be trusted, which I do think they are, it is noteworthy to read this statement (also according to the Sunday Express) made last night by a Buckingham Palace spokesman:

“The Queen has always made it clear that she will not step down and that hasn’t changed.”

That is a rather firm statement leaving no doors open for regret.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

So unless she pases when hes 65 he wont be King that what your saying?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

No, she isn't saying that. She's just saying that the Queen won't abdicate, she'll continue as Queen for her whole life, just as she promised to do on her 21st birthday.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Courtier

Exactly, Elspet

Except that it isn't me saying that. It is a Buckingham Palace spokesman.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Thanks for posting this claim by Dimbleby, a claim I hasten to add that was denied by Clarence House according to reports by the BBC & ITV & Charles: rethink of sovereign's role - Liverpool Echo.co.uk.
I doubt Charles has any interest in a public discussion of his way to be king now. Why should he? He will be able to reign by the power of his personality, he will still be able to influence the government through his right to advise and I bet those politicians who will have to deal with him will learn that the king intends to see results.

OTOH I don't think Charles can be interested in a formal change of kingship for the next generations - what about william? so far he is not even interested in starting his Royal duties but prefers a pilot's duty, he is not yet learning how to care for the Duchy of Cornwall once it's his enterprise and he seems to be much less political than Charles. So where is the sense in annoying his mother and getting into a danger zone, when the purpose he would do it for is short-lived and potentially dangerous for his heirs?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Royal Highness

When Charles will be King i think there´ll be changes: He has a strong personality and the in same way he is now a special Prince of Wales he´ll be in many ways a special King.

I think it´s the ´normal´ way that Clarence House denied this kind of reports or articles, although i can imagine that Charles could be interested in the public mind about possible ´reforms´, about his ´aktive role´as a King or about the question to be´defender of faith´, or ´the faith´.

It seems that more people start to think about the time he´ll be King and if the dicussion about it runs in a way with sustance and knowledge ( and not on a tabloid level) it can be interesting for us and maybe for him too.(IMO).
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles will be right to speak out once he becomes King.

It is true that by doing so he will risk the future of the Crown. But, if he fails to rock the Royal boat, the Monarchy will in any case be finished soon

PETER HITCHENS: Speak out Charles, our teenage politicians never will | Mail Online
Old 11-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree. I would hate to see such a passionate campaigner silenced in any way. Even if it does cause the fur to fly, I think it will be worth it to have a King with a "Personality".
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles is wise enough to use his "power to convene" judiciously, once he is King. I do think he will let his thoughts on matters close to his heart be heard. He is also a shrewd enough PR operator to know how he must use the next years in assessing public opinion for such a potential King, and to the extent he needs to, manage public opinion in this regard.

In some ways, I agree with the view in the article in the Mail that, perhaps, the time has come for the next monarch to be slightly more vocal to reinvigorate the monarchy.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince Charles: I’ll be a breath of fresh heir and if my parents don’t like it, bad luck

Prince Charles has given his strongest signal yet that he plans to break with tradition and be as outspoken when king as he is now.

The heir to the throne sees the role of a constitutional monarch in the 21st century as very different from the example his mother has set, he makes clear.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Prince Charles uses book Harmony to pledge a duty to the environment | Mail Online

Prince Charles has already said he will take the title of Defender of the Faith when he becomes King.

But now the Prince of Wales has pledged to dedicate himself to becoming the Defender of Nature.

Prince of Wales wants to be 'defender of nature' - Telegraph

As heir to the throne Prince Charles will one day be given the title Defender of Faith.

But as his job, he says he intends to become the defender of nature
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Serene Highness

Fresh heir? How? I can't imagine it. Just hearing him talk puts me to sleep.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince Charles: I’ll be a breath of fresh heir and if my parents don’t like it, bad luck

Prince Charles has given his strongest signal yet that he plans to break with tradition and be as outspoken when king as he is now.

The heir to the throne sees the role of a constitutional monarch in the 21st century as very different from the example his mother has set, he makes clear.
This is not exactly what P Charles said, right? I can see the BRF's fortune being reduced after he becomes King. Which is fair as a big part of the property still belongs to the Crown out of regard for HM, the Queen.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
This is not exactly what P Charles said, right?
It says that this has come from an interview to be published on Friday in Vanity Fair.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I know that. It's impossible for me to find the new VF issue here. Could someone, please, post the article when it becomes available online?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I know that. It's impossible for me to find the new VF issue here. Could someone, please, post the article when it becomes available online?
Maybe this.
Exclusive: Prince Charles on the Environment, the Monarchy, His Family, and Islam | VF Daily | Vanity Fair
Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Gentry

Thanks Lumutqueen!

For what it's worth, I like Charles. He has causes that he's passionate about and gets stuck in. He became involved in environmental issues LONG before they became fashionable.So yes, he often behaves like an embarrassing Dad at a wedding but he has carved out a role for himself, and isn't just being a 'monarch in waiting' and for that I applaud him. I think he'll be a great King; different to his mother which is a good thing (not because she's bad, just he needs his own identity) and I think he'll continue saying what he thinks, and championing causes that he cares about, and being a good ambassador at home and abroad.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree with you here.

Charles is coming into his own and it will reflect on the monarchy he holds and personally I like it. Even being American, I think I've watched Charles' path more than I have our own presidents. Perhaps because it's a longer one. I'm still wading through the Dimbleby biography that was written way back when and there's so much insight into Charles in that book that is not about Diana.

Defender of Nature. yes. (no druish joke here) I can see him being that. Also the Defender of Faith. By the time he does sit as King, I really do think he'll be concerned with more of the global effects of things that will not only affect the UK but all of us. Presidents and PMs and politics come and go.. wax and wane but actually a man dedicated to preserving our planet and the folks that live on it rank high in my book. If being King means he has to be silenced and just be a figurehead, its time for a republic.

He was given big ears for a reason.. perhaps he hears and senses things most of us don't.

Perhaps
Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If being King means he has to be silenced and just be a figurehead, its time for a republic.
The British system only works with a monarch whose mouth is shut - they have no role in politics and have to do and say what the government of the day tell them - publicly.

Anything the monarch wants to say on any issue must be said in private to the PM only.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v