The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
With their father footing their bills, and his insistence of their status, it is unlikely they will request a change. He who has the gold.....

What insistence?

Andrew didn't insist on their being royals. They were born royals in accordance to the LPs of 1917 at a time when there was no real public desire for his children to be anything other than royals.

He's not stripped them of their titles, but that's not within his power. Only the Queen or Parliament can do that. We make a lot of fuss about the idea that Charles wants to "slim down" the monarchy and will strip them of their titles, but we have no actual reason to believe that - the media made up a story that people have reported as fact since then. We make a lot of fuss that they've been denied the opportunity to be working royals, that they want to do so, or that Andrew wants to do so... But again, we have no basis to know that. No identifiable source has ever said such a thing.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I actually don't think they will drop their titles, or be stripped of them. There have been a few stories of Eugenie getting annoyed with friends teasing her about her princess status and her regarding it as rather a nuisance. However, it's part of both girls. As they are now in their twenties and haven't stated anything about dropping the HRH, and I think it is important to their much loved father that they are acknowledged in that way, their titles/styling will remain.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 AM
Courtier

And it's certainly important to their mother and her commercial activities.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

See everything with these girls always comes down to their parents!

Fergie would want this, Andrew insists on this.....

The girls were born with titles that were legally theirs. They shouldn't have to give them up. What they need is something to do with them!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The trouble is, (for Beatrice at least, I don't think Eugenie is so bothered about performing royal duties) the girls have come to adulthood when there is a logjam of working royals.

Her grandparents are still actively at work, so is the Duke of Kent and Alexandra as well as the slightly younger Gloucesters, and Andrew and all his siblings. Waiting in the wings presumably, but still not full time royals, are the Cambridges and Harry.

That's quite a solid block of royals, some of them very elderly, that are still willing and able. I'm certainly not wishing ill on the Queen, PP and her older cousins, but if Beatrice had been born a decade earlier or a decade later than she was then she might have been able to be slotted into a role as a working Royal a lot more easily.

As it is, there are a lot of people already who have to be compensated for royal duties out of the Queen's income, the Duchy of Lancaster. She might not be able to afford another one or two on the Royal payroll. As well there is the PR angle, the public reaction to yet another Royal reporting for duty. (People already think every Royal is paid for with their taxes.)

Things may very well change in Charles's reign but we will have to wait and see.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I can imagine that when the Prince of Wales becomes King, the "use" of Gloucesters and the Kents as well his nieces and nephews will be minimal. That means probably four grandchildren of a Sovereign whom are a HRH will play no role:

HM The King
HM The Queen (HRH The Princess-Consort)
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Princess of Wales
HRH The Prince Henry
(HRH The Princess Henry)
HRH The Princess Royal
Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence
HRH The Duke of York
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HRH The Duchess of Edinburgh
------------------------------------------
Mr Peter Phillips
Mrs Peter Phillips
Mrs Michael Tindall
Mr Michael Tindall
HRH Princess Beatrice of York
HRH Princess Eugenie of York
HRH Prince James of Edinburgh
HRH Princess Louise of Edinburgh
Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Does Sir Tim perform royal duties on his own account though? I know he sometimes accompanies his wife.

Also, it might be another fifteen years before Louise Wessex, and especially her brother, would be ready for any full time Royal duties if they wanted to and were needed. I know that by then the Queen, Prince Philip, the Kents, Alexandra and possibly the Gloucesters will no longer be with us. The King and Queen (Charles and Camilla) would be very elderly by that point, and perhaps only have assistance from four other senior royals.

Beatrice, by the new reign, might be a woman in her early thirties with a young family. She could be keen to undertake some Royal duties. However Louise and James Wessex (Edinburgh) will almost certainly undertake some sort of tertiary education/armed forces training that might not be completed by their mid-20's.
The same will happen with George and Charlotte.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tim doesn't undertake royal duties unless he's accompanying his wife.

Louise and James aren't likely to ever undertake royal duties as they don't hold titles. Regardless of the fact that it's unclear if they technically are or are not HRHs, they don't use these titles, they have been presented as not having these titles, and there is absolutely no indication to believe that they ever will. They are in a situation more comparable to Peter and Zara than to Beatrice and Eugenie - and just as Anne's children aren't expected to do royal duties (owing to them not being royals), neither will Edwards.

As for Beatrice and Eugenie... A lot is made of them having some obligation to perform royal duties, when there isn't. Being an HRH isn't a job. It's a title. Prince Michael of Kent was never expected to be a full tile royal. I believe the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester were only ever expected to do so (initially at least) because they held royal dukedoms; the Duke of Gloucester wasn't expected to be a working royal until his brother's death. As a younger son, he studied to be an architect. Likewise, Princess Alexandra studied to be a nurse, but was pushed into full time duties when circumstances caused there to be a smaller royal family and the Queen needed her to take up a more active role.

The Queen's cousins became working royals when they did because there was a need for it - King George had died, the Queen was young, her children were young, and help was needed. That's not the case now - the Queen is older, her children are adults, her cousins are still working. There isn't the need for her grandchildren to be full time royals, nor is there likely the money to fund it. And so Beatrice and Eugenie shouldn't be expected to take it up right now (time will tell if they'll be needed in the future) - especially when William, Kate, and Harry are all older and higher up, yet aren't full time royals.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Make of this what you will and I'm never sure about Richard Palmer's sources but it does perpetuate Charles wanting a smaller monarchy with few working royals. Charles maybe floating a trial balloon

Quote:
Charles’s plans for a pared-down monarchy and the desire of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry to focus on hands-on intensive work with a small group of charities instead of more mundane ribbon-cutting mean many of 3,000 voluntary organisations currently supported by the Firm are likely to lose their royal patrons in the coming years, sources have told the Daily Express.

...Charles, 67, wants a more muscular, streamlined monarchy, focused on achieving concrete changes in society through a smaller group of working royals and, inevitably, a smaller number of organisations.

...The core of that smaller group will be Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry - and his wife if he is married by then.

Much may depend on when Charles comes to the throne but, according to sources familiar with behind-the-scenes palace thinking, even the new King’s siblings, Anne, Andrew, and Edward may not have an official role for long under Charles.
Read more: Hundreds of charities to lose royal support as Charles overhauls Queen's worthy causes | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 01-27-2016, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

It does look as if the Queen's cousins at least will be pensioned off and Charles's family will be at the centre of things, with probably large umbrella Foundations. I hope it won't be a sharp cut-off however. Anne has worked incredibly hard for her charities for decades and the Wessexes will still be quite young to be settling into private life, (though core organisations like the Duke of Edinburgh Awards will still go on for some time under Edward's superintendence presumably.)

Has Charles thought that he and/or Camilla may not enjoy the best of health in their seventies and eighties, leaving four people to shoulder greater commitments?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Royal Highness

Yes like you I think it would be a bad move to move on Anne and Sophie and Edward they are doing a great job, are very popular and it would look bad throwing your siblings out as you get the crown on your head.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Yes like you I think it would be a bad move to move on Anne and Sophie and Edward they are doing a great job, are very popular and it would look bad throwing your siblings out as you get the crown on your head.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

In addition, ditching "ribbon-cutting events" is a bad move IMHO. One of the roles royals are expected to perform these days is to support local businesses and local communities. It is important then that they travel frequently around the country (or countries where they reign in the case of a plurinational monarchy like the British monarchy) and that they take up patronages of organizations not directly linked to charity per se. In fact, charity in itself is not a royal function and the royal family should not be reduced to a family of philanthropists.

I would also like the BRF to become more actively engaged in international organizations such as UN agencies in the way Belgian, Danish, Dutch and Swedish royals have been in recent years. I understand the British royals may face political constraints though, from the British government I mean, that may limit their ability to take up positions like the ones Mathilde, Maxima, May or Victoria have taken recently.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Internationally though, the BRF has always been focused on the Commonwealth rather than the UN, and on Commonwealth-based causes, like the Young Leaders, the Commonwealth Education Trust, Outward Bound and Duke of Edinburgh Award programmes, as well as military links within the Commonwealth. Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark and other European countries don't have that, and I don't think these can be ditched. The Commonwealth has always been extremely important to the Queen and presumably to Charles as well.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

No doubt there will be changes under Charles. After 63+ years of the Queen, Charles will need to put his own stamp on things.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
No doubt there will be changes under Charles. After 63+ years of the Queen, Charles will need to put his own stamp on things.
Who knows how long Charles will reign though ? Even assuming that he may reign for 20 years or so, which is not out of the realm of possibility, he would stil be in that scenario in a position where he would eventually reign at an age when he would be naturally forced to step back and let William gradually take over.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Who knows how long Charles will reign though ? Even assuming that he may reign for 20 years or so, which is not out of the realm of possibility, he would stil be in that scenario in a position where he would eventually reign at an age when he would be naturally forced to step back and let William gradually take over.
When you think about this though, what better training is there to be had for a future king-to-be? As for Charles, to paraphrase his own words. "He's been at it long enough". He's more than ready to be King.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen won't abdicate and she may reign for years to come, so its a case of wait and see.

Given the BRF's attention to detail though, Charles and company will hit the ground running when the times comes.

William is actively involved with the Duchy of Cornwall and receiving regular briefings from the Cabinet Office on government business. I expect the transition to be seamless
Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's very possible that Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward & Sophie, Kent's and Gloucester's will continue on with their charity work, but with the main focus on Charles's family.

It's true though, being Royal patron of hundreds of charities sounds impressive, but there's not much one can do for them. The younger royals are turning things around and have become more active and hands on with their small group of patronage's. You can't do that with hundreds of organizations. I think it's very possible that the Cambridge's and Harry and his future wife won't take up much of what The Queen and Prince Philip will leave behind.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Internationally though, the BRF has always been focused on the Commonwealth rather than the UN and on Commonwealth-based causes, like the Young Leaders, the Commonwealth Education Trust, Outward Bound and Duke of Edinburgh Award programmes, as well as military links within the Commonwealth. Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark and other European countries don't have that, and I don't think these can be ditched. The Commonwealth has always been extremely important to the Queen and presumably to Charles as well.
Adding to that would the government of the UK be open to that type of UN work being done by the BRF?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think it's very possible that Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward & Sophie, Kent's and Gloucester's will continue on with their charity work, but with the main focus on Charles's family.

It's true though, being Royal patron of hundreds of charities sounds impressive, but there's not much one can do for them. The younger royals are turning things around and have become more active and hands on with their small group of patronage's. You can't do that with hundreds of organizations. I think it's very possible that the Cambridge's and Harry and his future wife won't take up much of what The Queen and Prince Philip will leave behind.
I actually don't think the Kents and Gloucesters will continue doing much work, although not because of any "slimming" down.

As it stands now, only 2 of the 5 Kents work, and both of them have had some fairly serious health problems in recent years. I don't think the Duke of Kent or Princess Alexandra will continue on for too much longer as it stands. As for the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke is in his 70s, the Duchess will be 70 this year. I think once their health starts to decline we'll see them slowly retire as well.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v