The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt all will be forgotten, but public opinion will soften over time. It already has.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Nobility

I really feel sad for Prince Charles. It's going to be a right royal mess when HMTQ passes away.

(Camilla being crowned might be the least of his worries then)

He is within every right wanting to have Camilla crowned and be officially given her correct title in God's house, yet I still believe the angry mob will be vicious and outpspoken.

It might come down to the thought that both he and his advisors believe that if they have survived and thrived over other "scandals", then surely the adoring public will gasp and bite their tongue upon seeing Camilla in a flowing gown and coronation robes.

In the end, I firmly believe, dignity and decorum will prevail and a beautiful, multifaith coronation decorated with organic flowers from Highgrove's hot house will ensue for C&C.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Inspired by the article about Charles' "plot" this morning's "Sunrise" TV show had a telephone poll asking whether or not people thought Camilla should be Queen in due course. Something in the order of 88% voted "no". I don't know the number of callers or the extent to which republicanism motivated people to call, but, for what it is, I thought the result of the poll was interesting.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I missed that. Thanks Roslyn.

An expected outcome from an Australian audience, even though she'll never be our Queen/Princess Consort.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I missed that. Thanks Roslyn.

An expected outcome from an Australian daudience, even though she'll never be our Queen/Princess Consort.
She will be if we haven't become a Republic by then (which I think we will given the Queen's present health.)

I suspect that as the economy worsens the government will try to distract people by bringing the republican debate to the forefront and either have a series of plebiscites to find out what sort of republic people want or just a straight vote on a popularly elected president at the same time as the next federal election tying the hands of a new government.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She will be if we haven't become a Republic by then
Thats not correct I'm affraid.

taken from my previous post...

Quote:
The spouse of the monarch has not a single constitutional right, and bears no relevance whatsoever within this Commonwealth. They are obliged all styles and titles in accordance with British legislature, nothing more.
Camilla will never be Queen/Princess Consort of Australia, whether we remain a monarchy or not. The only member of the BRF to hold any constitutional office is the sovereign. Remaining family members, including the spouse, are foreign royalty.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Commoner

I feel sorry for him too. I don't think Charles and Camilla realize that these are probably the 'best' days of their lives. When he takes the #1 spot, all bets will be off.

I think the media is 'sort of' restrained in their current coverage of the monarchy because they do actually have respect for the queen. She hasn't really ever put a foot wrong in over 55 years on the throne, so I think they have some decorum (whatever that means!) when writing about the monarchy because they really don't want to insult her. She's done a good job.

Also, the queen has never really ever let people know what her private thoughts are on anything. That allows her to stay above the fray, which has the benefit of making her almost untouchable to criticism.

But there is NO love lost between Charles and the media. They are going to attack him every single day. Every time he opens his mouth to give an opinion, he's going to get torn down as someone who is full of himself, arrogant, and self-rightious. Over the years he's railed against all sorts of things publicy (bad architecture, global warming, GM foods, etc). By giving his opinions, it opens him up to being attacked and he will be attacked. It's going to be the mentality of "how dare you tell me how to live. Who do you think you are!"

The attacks will be doubly vicious because we now have this monster called the internet. This didn't exist for most of the queens reign. Any person in any country on this planet will be able to fling their hatred, jealouly, and envy of the monarchy to millions of other people. He will be crucified a million times over every day by websites, blogs, vlogs, chat rooms, etc.

I just keep coming back to the idea that 'this is as good as it gets' for him. It's not going to get better. Once he gets the 'top job', he'll be out the frying pan and directly into the fire. It's not going to be pretty.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, it's going to be much harder for him, partly because he's had so much longer than the Queen before succeeding to the throne and partly because the press is so much more aggressive. On the other hand, if the heir to the throne can't speak out about substantive things, it really is going to look even more as though he's a time-wasting pleasure seeker, and William's already being tarred with that particular brush.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I tend to think that the position and mystique of being the Sovereign will protect Charles from attack from all but the most disrespectful, aggressive, republican, media forces once he becomes King, no matter how much they may be tempted. Only time will tell, of course, and a lot will depend on how Charles behaves once he becomes King.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

It's inevitable that such a move, when having been proposed otherwise by Clarence House for the poast 4 years, will anger a good many people throughout Britain and the Commonwealth. The problem is once a controversial topic, always a controversial topic and that if any such proposal was good enough to suggest, then surely it's good enough to eventuate.

The coming months could well be (not to say they shall) a restless time for Clarence House. Something which is known to those of us who better understand such logistics, will not necessarily be received with such understanding by the broader scope who remain relatively unaware, except for what they read in tabloid magazines or what they are told via royal press releases, etc. Our enthusiasm means we take an interest in the workings of monarchy, but let us be honest, we are a minority.

A great many folk support the institution, but as has been seen before, when they feel either let down or mislead, the winds can change. Perhaps momentarily...who can ever be certain.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Inspired by the article about Charles' "plot" this morning's "Sunrise" TV show had a telephone poll asking whether or not people thought Camilla should be Queen in due course. Something in the order of 88% voted "no". I don't know the number of callers or the extent to which republicanism motivated people to call, but, for what it is, I thought the result of the poll was interesting.
Just as scientific a poll, Yahoo7 is running one of 'princess title for Camilla' it was up to 81% no, so then the implication is that 81% of people who voted thought she should have the queen title.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

I find these various polls hilarious. Either they have phoned 1000 people and based the opinions of 61 million (in the UK) on the results from the 1000, or they are click to vote (You can click as many times as you want as long as you clear your cookies) or phone in, again as many times as you want.

A friend of mine is a whizz with polls and how many you would actually need to ask to get a real idea, but even to this simpleton, the ones I have mentioned don't appear to be very scientific!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

If the recent article in News of the World have got the tiniest grain of truth, it could be viewed as the water testing by the Clarence House. As for news and polls of such nature in general, they are annoying and faulty. Given the current developments in the economic environment, who really cares about the title of the second wife of the Heir Apparent? I wonder why the Clarence House tends to create awkward situation out of nothing.
Personally I would like to see King Charles and his wife entertaining Chinese Prime Minister...
Old 09-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I find these various polls hilarious. Either they have phoned 1000 people and based the opinions of 61 million (in the UK) on the results from the 1000, or they are click to vote (You can click as many times as you want as long as you clear your cookies) or phone in, again as many times as you want.

A friend of mine is a whizz with polls and how many you would actually need to ask to get a real idea, but even to this simpleton, the ones I have mentioned don't appear to be very scientific!
80% of statistics are made up on the spot 60% of the time. . . .
Old 09-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Queen Camilla's time will come, we just have to wait!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
If the monarchy ended, would the Crown Estates actually revert to being the personal property of the ex-monarch, though? It seems like it could easily be argued that it's become, like the palaces, something along the lines of "state property" due to the near unbreakable convention that each monarch surrender it. Did Edward VIII have to sell it when he abdicated, or did it automatically change hands? If it's the latter, I don't think it could really be considered personal property.
I think that Edward VIII did sell his property(but which properties I am not sure) to his brother when he abdicated, it was to provide money for him to live off. He was worried that he would be left penniless (his worry all his life even though he was a millionaire) and this sale was supposed to compensate for the fact that as the heir to the throne only his brothers and sister were mentioned in George V´s will.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

The only properties Edward VIII sold were Balmoral and Sandringham, both of which belonged to him under his father's will as the eldest son and successor to the throne. He did not receive any additional bequests from George V because as The Duke of Cornwall, he had received its income for years as the heir, while his brothers did not. The properties were valued at 300,000 sterling, but this lump-sum was not paid directly to The Duke, rather an equivalent amount was used to purchase War Loan bonds to generate 11,000 pounds annually in tax-free income. His brother supplemented this income with an allowance of 10,000 sterling per year.

Keep in mind The Duke had lied about his personal means when George VI initially agreed to a 25,000 sterling annual income, stating he only had 5,000 per year, when his fortune was worth over 1 million sterling from years of income from the Duchy of Cornwall. This does not include substantial sums of money he spent from his brief time as King from the Duchy of Lancaster, most of which was used to purchase jewels for Wallis.

The Dukes of York, Gloucester and Kent each received about 1 million sterling in trust (about $30 million today) from their father's estate, believed to be limited to the income only, with the grandchildren inheriting the principal. Unfortunately, due to World War II, currency controls and inflation, much of this money was greatly diminished by the early 50's.

The Crown Estate is inalienable from the State, although it technically belongs to the Crown in the person of the Sovereign. If the monarchy was abolished, those assets would remain with the Exchequer.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles: Ready for active service

November 16

It was always expected that when he finally came to the throne, the 'interfering' Charles would fall silent. Now the constitutionally explosive idea is taking root that he should continue to speak out on public issues, writes his biographer

Jonathan Dimbleby

Prince Charles: Ready for active service - Times Online
Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

From what I have read about the Duke of Windsor he was very shocked to find he was not left any money in his father´s will, his father had expected him to follow him and be King and of course there was all the money he had received from the Duchy of Cornwall.
The royal family and advisers were suddenly faced with a King who was abdicating and wanted compensation and after much talk they decided to "buy" the two properties that could be considered private, Sandringham and Balmoral from him, as well as giving him what was a generous allowance. He continued to count himself as a poor man and if we can believe some of his biographers although he was always very generous with the Duchess if there were some way he could get out of paying he would, especially expensive restaurants he would, and he was always ready for a discount.
The French were especially good to him and he paid what was considered a "peppercorn" rent for his sumptious mansion in Paris. He led a frivolous life but he seemed to enjoy it although he never stopped complaining almost to the day he died.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
It was always expected that when he finally came to the throne, the 'interfering' Charles would fall silent. Now the constitutionally explosive idea is taking root that he should continue to speak out on public issues, writes his biographer

Jonathan Dimbleby

Prince Charles: Ready for active service - Times Online
Thanks for posting this claim by Dimbleby, a claim I hasten to add that was denied by Clarence House according to reports by the BBC & ITV & Charles: rethink of sovereign's role - Liverpool Echo.co.uk.
Quote:
Clarence House denied there was any truth in the reports and said people should refer to comments made by the prince himself. Asked by the BBC, for a recent documentary celebrating his 60th birthday, if he would continue to campaign in his role as king, he said: "I don't know. I don't know - probably not in the same way.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v