The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Its one thing for a tabloid to criticise Charles but when The Times goes on the attack it almost necessitated a response from William Nye.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

This quote pretty much sums up Charles's future position:

"After half a century in public life, few could be better placed than His Royal Highness to understand the necessary and proper limitations on the role of a constitutional monarch. Should he be called to the Throne, The Prince of Wales will be inspired by the examples of his mother and grandfather, while drawing also on his own experience of a lifetime of service. He will seek to continue his service to this country and the other Realms, to the Commonwealth and to the wider world."
Our view

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

However could Ms Mayer comment on what "the Queen" believes about how Charles will be King? I truly doubt that she sat down and had a personal conversation with HM. Methinks there is lots of speculation in that book. She is certainly getting enough free publicity.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
However could Ms Mayer comment on what "the Queen" believes about how Charles will be King? I truly doubt that she sat down and had a personal conversation with HM. Methinks there is lots of speculation in that book. She is certainly getting enough free publicity.
I think it's based on what her sources said to her about Her Majesty's thoughts on Charles's future role. No one really know the Queen's real thoughts, unless she tells them.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles hits back over 'ill informed speculation' about his plans for kingship - Telegraph

Quote:
The Prince of Wales has hit out at “ill-informed speculation” over his plans for kingship and insists he will know where to draw the line when it comes to expressing his views.

In a highly unusual move his most senior courtier, Sir William Nye, wrote to The Times newspaper, which has serialised a controversial biography of the Prince, to say he knows the “limitations” that will be placed on him “should he” become king by outliving the Queen.

The letter, which would undoubtedly have been signed off by the Prince before it was sent to the newspaper, shows the extent to which the heir to the throne has been stung by days of criticism arising from the book.

Miss Mayer, a journalist for Time magazine, wrote that the Queen had concerns about the direction in which her son would take the monarchy when she dies, and that Her Majesty feared Britain might not be ready for the “shock of the new”.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

The royals are really hitting back these days. First Prince Andrew. Then just a few days ago, Princess Beatrice hit back on claims that she was workshy. Now this.

Good for them.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The royals are really hitting back these days. First Prince Andrew. Then just a few days ago, Princess Beatrice hit back on claims that she was workshy. Now this.

Good for them.
I agree. For too long they've had to sit back and just take whatever is thrown at them (via the tabloid press). So much of it is unfair, like that Daily Mail article of a couple of days ago, which made me quite depressed – and I didn't even dare read the public comments.

The truth as I see it: Prince Charles appears to be a happily married man, with a marriage style that works well for them both. He loves his children, daughter-in-law and grandchildren, and has an easy relationship with them. Perhaps not quite as close to his parents and siblings with various factors coming into play. He cares about his 'job', the future, people, and the earth, which is shown by what he does and his charities...

Not much there to write an article about...

So what happens? An article is written with mostly unnamed sources, hearsay, and innuendo, slanted towards getting a reaction out of people – after all, sensation is the thing! Good news just does not sell.

Reminds me of a favourite movie I saw some time ago, which goes along these lines (I've had to paraphrase, as I can't quite remember the wording).

Two men stand staring out to sea.
The older man is an experienced journalist, telling the new guy how it works.
Oldtimer to newbie: "What do you see?"
Newbie, staring out to sea. "Nothing."
Oldtimer: "Look more carefully."
Newbie, perplexed: "I don't see anything."
Oldtimer: "Look at that cloud over there."
Newbie: "So?"
Oldtimer: "Headline could read, 'Advancing Storm Bears Down upon Village!' "
Newbie, nonplussed: "But what if it doesn't happen?"
Oldtimer: " 'Village Spared from Approaching Disaster!' "
Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Much as I honour the Queen, I have to disagree with you. The Queen is 80, she comes from an era that is derided and long gone. Her views can hardly be considered modern, that's why she has so many advisors to her advisors. She is still doing a brilliant job but, Charles seems to be far more relevant to the people of Britain.

Charles is doing a briliiant job as Prince of Wales and every person I have spoken to, without fail, backs him. He has done and has tried to do more for the common man and woman than the entire government.

Most pubs you go in to and at most social gatherings, (if you mention the diaries), people call all journalists a host of unprintable names and then toast 'Good old Charlie'.

It is only the media who are trying to make out that Charles is interferring in politics, everyone else realises that like anyone, he is just offering his opinion on various situations and that is one of the jobs of any Prince of Wales!
A post after my own heart, even tho it harks back. It is no different now in the "local"

Charles has actively done more for this country than the Queen who (drilled by her Victorian g/mother and Edwardian mother) has never put forward an opinion on anything apart from Christianity.

The furore over the past week (I know it feels longer) has progressed the the debate on hos monarchy by ZILCH. We know now what we knew then. He understands the role and will procede as a constitutional monarch.

He might miss his opportunities to intercede and help but that is the price he is prepared to pay.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Queen has total confidence in Prince Charles, say aides over writer's claim she 'fears' her son's reign - London - News - London Evening Standard

Quote:
The Queen has complete confidence in Prince Charles’s ability to reign despite claims in an “unhelpful” biography that questions his suitability as king, sources have told the Standard.

They say reports that Her Majesty and palace aides “fear” Britain is not ready for Charles's radical new style of monarchy are “wide of the mark”.

The Prince’s lawyers are preparing to scrutinise claims made in Catherine Mayer’s new book Charles: The Heart Of A King, published this Thursday and serialised in The Times.

Ms Mayer — a journalist whose claims of close access to the Prince have been forthrightly rejected by his spokeswoman Kristina Kyriacou — writes that the heir to the throne intends to be a campaigning monarch.

She says the Queen, who will be 89 in April, and her courtiers feel that the UK is not ready for “shock of the new”. Ms Mayer, a writer for Time magazine, claims Prince Philip is one of his son’s harshest critics and thinks him guilty of “selfish behaviour”.

But a senior aide said: “This is simply not the case. Her Majesty and the Prince know the position. He has talked to the Queen about what sort of king he should be.

“These reports are wide of the mark. As Prince of Wales, His Royal Highness has served Her Majesty and the institution of the monarchy all his life.

“He is a serious-thinking man and he more than anyone knows what is expected of him as king.

“Of course when and if the time comes he will have his own style, but he understands and appreciates the importance of continuity and tradition more than anyone.

“A lot of the so called new revelations in this book are frankly rehashed. I feel I have read most of it before. In other areas it appears to be very creative.”
'Prince Charles has the loneliest existence I’ve ever witnessed': Catherine Mayer on her new biography of the future king - London Life - Life & Style - London Evening Standard

Quote:
“Everybody knows that monarchy is a ridiculous idea — such a silly idea — and the only way it works is by people not questioning its existence and letting it run on as it has. They would not do anything that called into question the notion of the next in line inheriting.”
This says a lot about her, and about her book.

Quote:
She is, she tells me, “a republican who’s reluctantly come to think that the monarchy’s quite useful — and, more to the point, that people talk about the unwinding process far too blithely. At a point when there is extraordinary weakness in the political classes… I don’t know maybe this is me getting old, but it also scares me — I used to like the idea of throwing a pack of cards up in the air and seeing how they fell. These days, if you look at the populist political movements that are emerging, you think: ‘I don’t know if I really want to do that’.”
She is still a republican, but she thinks the monarchy’s quite useful. Don't make me laugh.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
She is still a republican, but she thinks the monarchy’s quite useful. Don't make me laugh.
Oh, I don't know, I don't think they'd pay her for a book about the US Presidency. But, the British Monarchy is money for jam!

The only thing that really interests me about Ms Mayer is how adroitly she conned Random House, a seriously reputable international publishing house, into (presumeably) paying an advance for her epic tome and then actually publishing it as a Biography instead of a Fictional Novel?

Here's a brief clip from their publicity blurb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random House:
Gripping, at times astonishing, often laugh-out-loud, this is a royal biography unlike any other.
"Unlike any other", hmmmm, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck and, more to the point, out for a duck!

Cricket anyone?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

MARG - not this week but next week when the World Cup begins - then yes - cricket rules.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Prince Charles does become the sovereign, he, as King, is entitled to his opinion. He is an individual also.
Must Charles always be under the scrutiny of the public about his speeches?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

If Prince Charles does become the sovereign, he, as King, is entitled to his opinion. He is an individual also.

Yes he must and will be under scrutiny that's what happens to Kings ( or Queens )

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Courtier

Camilla and Sofie are from 2 different generations in time. Camilla is probable closer to Sofie's mother's age. Their interests are different.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Had Sophie's mother lived past 2005, she would be 80 or 81. Sophie is 50 and Camilla is 68 this coming July.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Camilla and Sofie are from 2 different generations in time. Camilla is probable closer to Sofie's mother's age. Their interests are different.
it isn't about generations per se, it's about life "history" IMO. Camilla has children in their 30's and has also grandchildren. Sophie is a mother of young children.

The generation (age based) gap has altered considerably since women began marrying older and having children later. HMQ had 2 children by the time she was 25; Camilla by the time she was 31 and Sophie it was 42.

In many ways Camilla understands young children (as a grandmother) as does Sophie (as a mother). HMQ has never really understood children at all IMO.

BTW, then I started this post I didnt realise just how different the age ranges were re having children. How times have changed

Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I just do not think he will make a great king. In my gut, Charles, while not wanting to see his parents pass on, cannot WAIT to get to that throne and place Camilla beside himself. I am sorry, I do not care what anyone says, it was very sad and to me VERY telling, the 2012 balcony appearance.

I think in many ways his selfish and spoiled view of himself has not changed much over the years.... I can see him jealous of the easy way William gets on with his in-laws. Let us remember, they ARE IN FACT HUMAN. More so now in this generation of royals. If I had lived in the house like William did and then saw the woman who in fact helped break apart my parents' marriage...I would look and yearn for a sense of normalcy at all costs. He is truly happy with the Catherine. You can see it. He seems to get along great with his in-laws. Good for him.

Given Charles's own words from his mouth, he feels everything we have read about his version of his childhood, etc, jealousy/envy about Diana's popularity. I am sure his staff since has established his own household do everything like we have read but wipe his backside for him.

Now, to appease the the ones who will attack me on here, he has done many, many, many great things for charities, the Prince's Trust, for architecture, the environment, etc...but I do not trust him an inch as king. How I truly in my heart wish the throne could go to William and Catherine. I will tell you one thing, you can tell, NO ONE TELLS WILLIAM WHAT TO DO. And good for him. I would be tired of all this if I were him and grew up exactly the way he did.

So go ahead and rip me apart. :-)
Don't make me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I do not trust him an inch as king.
I suppose you is from the United States since you live there. And since you are not living in any of the Commonwealth realm, you don't need to trust him.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I suppose we all can and do look at Charles from different aspects of his life and we form our own opinions from our own learning experiences of the life and times of the Prince of Wales.

Although, over the years, there has been much that points to Charles being an insecure, introverted individual who perhaps didn't have as pleasing of a childhood as perhaps he would have liked, over the years learning about and watching Charles create and put into action his role of The Prince of Wales, I find him to be very much an altruistic person with the welfare of the people, the country and even the globe close to his heart. The programs he's started, the concerns he's raised that not only affect humanity today but looking far into the future and knowing that the motto "Ich Dien" of the Prince of Wales aren't just empty words to him make me realize that Charles will be a King of the people with their best interests at heart.

He has served far too long to take his role as monarch as something trivial or self serving. He is very much a traditionalist with a deep ingrained sense of the responsibility his role as monarch entails. He will definitely be very much a hands on monarch and will take advantage of his meetings with the PM of the day but yet know where the limits are. He has already established many causes and organizations and these will not fade away once he becomes king.

Will he downsize the royal family? Perhaps. There's a lot he might do but I do believe that what he will do will be in the best interests of those he serves and not for self aggrandizing or selfish reasons.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

He can have an opinion, and he could state it BUT the line in the sand is that he cannot make a political statement or anything that could be construed (can of worms) as political.

In the UK the so-called "nanny-state" where politicians interfere in everyday life on a regular basic, it means that he would be restricted.

The Queen has promoted Christianity, but she couldn't say "I'm anti-multi-culturalism".

Charles could support charities for young people but he couldn't say "the Gov should do more for young people".

William and Catherine might want homosexuals who went to prison when it was a crime to have a royal pardon BUT they can't say so because that is a decision of parliament (note - I do not know if this is their opinion).

So using these examples, I would say that Charles may have voiced opinions but has never been political.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Royal Highness

Charles has never interfered in party-political issues and he will not do so when he becomes King. Those who says that he shall not have any opinions in public and uses the Queen as an example should know the facts.

The Queen is patron of over 600 charities and organisations. I have heard that she is very interested in what they are working with and that she follows many of them closely behind closed doors. She is also interested in young people, the poor and the less fortunate. She have also talked about it in several speeches that she has held in the UK, Canada, Australia, New zealand etc etc and in many other countries where she is not the head of state. She also talks about many topics in her Commonwealth Day Message. I have also heard and read that she is much more outspoken in private ,but everyone who meets her seems to take a voluntary vow of perpetual silence as a journalist in newsweek put it.

And there are sometimes her opinions have reached the media, but they never make a big issue out of it.

The Queen says 'poverty is being ignored and more should be done to fight it' - Mirror Online

Quote:
She told one academic: “Poor people and their problems don’t get reported often, and they need all the *assistance they can be given.”
And when she said it, she was accused of this.

Quote:
But Graham Smith, chief executive of anti-monarchy group Republic, told the Mirror: “There’s never been a day in her life where she has had to worry about getting food on the table or making sure her children have books and uniforms for school or paying the mortgage and bills.

“It’s a rather crass and inappropriate statement from someone who is a multi-millionaire many times over and has no problems helping herself to public money.

“What does she know about politics and these people’s lives?

“She couldn’t be further from normal people’s experiences and all the evidence shows she can only identify with people she mixes with, who are millionaires living in large mansions and country estates.”

“She’s clearly making a political statement which she’s not supposed to be doing. There’s a whole lot of implications you could take from what she has said.

“It’s a criticism of government policy, and the rights and wrongs of government policy aren’t what she’s supposed to speak on.”
BBC News - Abu Hamza concerns raised by Queen

BBC News - BBC apology to Queen over Abu Hamza disclosure

Quote:
Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, our correspondent said the Queen had been upset that there was no way to arrest the radical cleric and spoke to the then home secretary to ask why somebody who appeared to be inciting violence and hatred was still at large.

"Like anybody, she was upset that her country and its subjects were being denigrated by this man," said our correspondent, who stressed that the monarch was not lobbying but "merely voicing the views that many have".
And when this came out, the BBC was accused of this.

Quote:
But campaign group Republic has accused the BBC of revealing details of the Queen's interest in the case to put her "on the right side of public opinion".

"The decision to disclose this one conversation while keeping all else secret smacks of a deliberate PR stunt to put the Queen on the right side of public opinion," the group said.
And then there was the Queen and Margaret Thatcher. The Queen was dissatisfied with Thatcher because she didn't do enough for the poor, the miners' strike, the unemployment, the commonwealth etc etc.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v