The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the issue whether the wife of Charles should be styled Queen ever have been discussed if he still were married to Diana?

Assuming no tradegies, Camilla will one day be married to the King whether we like her or not.

No, Diana would have been Queen Diana no discussion whatsoever.

David Cameron hints that he would support Duchess of Cornwall as queen - Telegraph

The Prime Minister was asked whether he would support the idea after the Prince of Wales indicated for the first time that she could become Queen Camilla when he ascends the throne.

Asked whether he was "up for Queen Camilla", Mr Cameron said it was "too early for decisions" but acknowledged that it was a subject that would be discussed at some point.

He said: "I'm a big Camilla fan."

:previous:
I'm not sure I agree with him that it is too early for discussions. It might actually be better to settle it once and for all - is the wife of The King going to be called Queen or not?

I don't think these polls should be asking people who they want to see as the next monarch, because they might begin to think they have some choice in the matter. It is not an elected monarchy; provided he survives his mother, Charles will become king the moment her Majesty dies. His wife will become Queen Consort at that moment, too. The only question to be determined is whether Camilla is to ber known as something other than Queen Consort.

Why wouldn´t Camilla be known as Queen? She will, after all, be married to a king.

I am aware of the status of Philip and our own Henrik being Prince Consorts and not kings. But a king is the person who rules the land and that lies in the title. It does not lie in the title of the Queen.

Pleas enlighten me :)

I'm not sure I agree with him that it is too early for discussions. It might actually be better to settle it once and for all - is the wife of The King going to be called Queen or not?

I agree. When will be the right time? When HM has died and Charles is King? It will be a bit too late then, because Camilla will be Queen and a decision that she is not to be called Queen will be like a demotion. And it would be rather unseemly to have such a discussion, which will no doubt involve some name-calling and unpleasant dredging up of incidents in the past, when the members of the RF and the people are still grieving the loss of their long-serving and very much loved mother and grandmother and monarch.

Absolutely. Then there's the whole question of what happens after Charles and Camilla. Do we have a King and his princess consort, then go back to having King William and Queen Catherine or is it princess consort from now on. The need to decide, draw a line under it and let everybody move on.

Why wouldn´t Camilla be known as Queen? She will, after all, be married to a king.

I am aware of the status of Philip and our own Henrik being Prince Consorts and not kings. But a king is the person who rules the land and that lies in the title. It does not lie in the title of the Queen.

Pleas enlighten me :)

Because Charles has had Diana as a wife previously, and the story behind him and Camilla. Yes she will be married to the King, and therefore will be Queen. But I honestly think that government/monarchy in a sense are afraid of what the public will say.

Because Charles has had Diana as a wife previously, and the story behind him and Camilla. Yes she will be married to the King, and therefore will be Queen. But I honestly think that government/monarchy in a sense are afraid of what the public will say.
Ahh, so she will, by title, be queen, but will be known as Duchess or something else? :ermm:

Ahh, so she will, by title, be queen, but will be known as Duchess or something else? :ermm:

Charles agreed she would be HRH The Princess Consort.
However, he seems to be going back on what he said.
Personally, she should be Queen Camilla.

Well they should be 'afraid of what the public will say'. Because if the public wont have that woman as Queen, they may well say thanks but no thanks to the whole thing. Then where will Charles be? If Charles' choice is either dont try to make Camilla Queen and the public tolerates the twosome vs try to make her Queen and run the risk of being told to get lost all together, that's something he needs to consider. That's leaving aside the whole defender of the faith issue regarding a 'Queen' with a prior living husband.

Charles should never have agreed to downgrade Camilla's title. Pardon my language, but the very idea of it is asinine. The wife of the King is the Queen. That's how it works. Camilla and Charles are married now, not shacking up or meeting for late-night booty calls or anything else. She's his wife, he's her husband. When he becomes King, she is the Queen. Anything less is really insulting because let's be frank here -- it takes two to screw up a marriage. Charles is as guilty for the breakdown in his marriage as Camilla is, so why should she be the only one "punished" for it?

If people can't accept that they're married and that what is legally entitled to be hers is hers now......those people can just go fly a kite. It's time to grow up and realize that life moves on whether you like it or not. If the idea of his wife being called Queen Camilla is so offensive to you just because they had once been extramarital paramours, oh well. Royalty throughout history, not just in England, is rife with Kings and Queens who couldn't keep their goodies to themselves. They're human, they did something they shouldn't have, they atoned for it, they got married.

Making her go by the title "Princess Consort" is akin to making her walk around with a scarlet letter pinned to her blouse. Hello, it's not the 1600s anymore.

Very well said.

The wording at the time was 'intends' not 'will' and there is a subtle difference there allowing for the decision to be that she will be Queen Consort, as she should be, but that will depend on the situation at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles should never have agreed to downgrade Camilla's title...
I totally agree with you on all points here but have a question.

Isn't it possible that the intent to call Camilla "Princess Consort" came about because at her request? IIRC back at the time of Charles and Camilla's wedding, she was the one that requested the style of Duchess of Cornwall over The Princess of Wales. I'm thinking that perhaps she did this not only out of respect for Diana and to avoid any uproar at that time, but perhaps also Camilla wasn't very fond of being thrust into the limelight. We've all seen what a wonderful job she's been doing and the rapport she's had with people at the functions she goes to and I think she'll make a wonderful Queen Consort but perhaps she'll prefer Princess Consort where to her it would seem more like she's Charles' support system always one step behind her man. If she was Princess Consort, she'd not be HM The Princess Consort correct?

Its been a long day here and my mind is a bit comfuzzled. :eek:

Well they should be 'afraid of what the public will say'. Because if the public wont have that woman as Queen, they may well say thanks but no thanks to the whole thing. Then where will Charles be? If Charles' choice is either dont try to make Camilla Queen and the public tolerates the twosome vs try to make her Queen and run the risk of being told to get lost all together, that's something he needs to consider. That's leaving aside the whole defender of the faith issue regarding a 'Queen' with a prior living husband.

People didn't want them to marry, but they did. The public aren't going to be that bothered if Camilla becomes Queen or not. IMO, this isn't a situation that is going to overthrow the monarchy.

I totally agree with you on all points here but have a question.

Isn't it possible that the intent to call Camilla "Princess Consort" came about because at her request? IIRC back at the time of Charles and Camilla's wedding, she was the one that requested the style of Duchess of Cornwall over The Princess of Wales. I'm thinking that perhaps she did this not only out of respect for Diana and to avoid any uproar at that time, but perhaps also Camilla wasn't very fond of being thrust into the limelight. We've all seen what a wonderful job she's been doing and the rapport she's had with people at the functions she goes to and I think she'll make a wonderful Queen Consort but perhaps she'll prefer Princess Consort where to her it would seem more like she's Charles' support system always one step behind her man. If she was Princess Consort, she'd not be HM The Princess Consort correct?

Its been a long day here and my mind is a bit comfuzzled. :eek:

It's fine Osipi. Don't know if I can answer this fully, but I shall try.
It is of course possible that Camilla has asked to be The Princess Consort, rather than Queen because she knows what could possible happen.
I also agree that Camilla chose DofC as her main title, to ease herself into the public favour. Being The Princess Consort would possible help her do this again when Charles becomes King.

I think she'd be HRH The Princess Consort, not 100%.

She'll be the wife of The King, therefore, in my eyes, should be The Queen.

I thought Clarence House said the Duchess would go by the title Princess Consort and not Queen when Prince Charles becomes King of England.

I do feel that the topic should have never come up until Prince Charles becomes King. It would have given people time to know the Duchess. Now if they switch titles Prince Charles looks like a lair.:ermm:

Last edited:
Well Charles himself is the one who made the statements about titles, so it is his mistake to bear.
Don't know about the Clarence House situation.

This issue needs to be sorted and organised before HM passes away, seeing as Charles becomes King the minute she passes.

Osipi said:
Isn't it possible that the intent to call Camilla "Princess Consort" came about because at her request?
I think you could be right about Camilla not wanting the limelight. However I also think she could have a relatively low key roll as Queen Consort. We haven't had one of those for a while, and Camilla has set the scene with the way she has discharged her duties as Duchess of Cornwall.

If she's going to be HM she will have to be Queen, I think, and if she's to be anything less than Queen then legislation will be required, and there is that issue of whether it is to be specific to her situation. Legislators are reluctant to introduce legislation that applies to one person only, and I don't think anyone has seriously suggested that all future wives of British Kings should have a lesser status than Queen.

From the perspective of an American I don't see anything wrong with Princess Consort. The Duchess was perfectly happy to be a Duchess instead of a Princess. I think they made more to it then was necessary. And change to it now would look like the BRF was pulling one over on it's subjects. I think they need Parliament to rule on the subject.

Last edited:
Very well said.

The wording at the time was 'intends' not 'will' and there is a subtle difference there allowing for the decision to be that she will be Queen Consort, as she should be, but that will depend on the situation at the time.
Or that he was being deliberately disingenuous at the time to smooth the way to allow him to marry the tremendously unpopular Camilla.

:previous: The thought has crossed my mind too, I'll confess.

I've never quite understood why it should have been 'intended' instead of 'will be known' as it doesn't occur to me as an issue that should be left 'hanging' with uncertainty, and I can understand why some may think there is perhaps an agenda. I can't envisage the Duchess of Cornwall's popularity continuing to grow at any real rate some 5 years after marriage so I'm not sure what it is they are expecting to change, perhaps socially, that would effect the issue.

It's still my impression that although accepted, it's more about being tolerated than supported by the community in her role as such. People are resolved to the fact she's here to stay, and I dont feel theres much more to it than that. Naturally people will smile, curtsy, shake hands and extend pleasantries, but those who have a high public and thought provoking profile often seem to have a momentary impact on those around them, and as such, people who find themselves in their presence become quite captivated with the indavidual. I've seen it happen before with various well known, high profiled Australian's who have a rather 'controversial' history. People, in the moment, become rather awe struck and that is a fairly normal response.

I don't doubt there are those who think favourably of the Duchess and would find it a great pleasure to meet her, because I myself would be the same.

However, the situation at the time of succession (in my mind) is not likely to be so dissimlar to what it is now in regards to the Duchess. How could it be really? Surely something (?) would need to happen to cause any change of opinion and generally when that occurs, it isn't for the better. Either that or they are hoping a couple of generations will die out and any objection with them :D

Or maybe they anticipate an indifference to the issue after so many years?

It can happen, theres a good chance it may not happen, it should happen (imo, and my reasons for supporting it are well documented in the 'Title for Camilla' thread I believe), but it really depends on the intentions of those concerned.

Last edited:
Or that he was being deliberately disingenuous at the time to smooth the way to allow him to marry the tremendously unpopular Camilla.

She may have been "tremendously unpopular" with some people, but that view was by no means universal here.

She was only "tremendously unpopular" amongst people who blamed her entirely for the Wales' failed marriage, completely ignoring the fact that Charles was as much to blame as anyone was. No one in my mind, had a preponderance of guilt there. They all behaved badly, as a result, both marriages ended. Unfortunately Diana tragically died and as a result, some people canonized her and anything that has to do with her, is seen as unsuitable for Camilla to be a part of. That includes the titles rightfully owed to her as the wife of the Prince of Wales, anything concerning her two stepsons, etc,.

No one is a victim here, they're all adults, they all knew what they were doing......but the way that Camilla has been treated/viewed by some people is really incredibly horrible and I would at some point like there to be some apology offered to her for it. It's ridiculous.

Excuse me, did either of you read the remarks from the public at large attached to the Queen's Facebook recently? There are MANY people who dislike/have no respect for Camilla. This board is NOT an accurate representation of how Camilla is viewed at large. In the real world, there are no moderators.

The monarchy under Charles, if his behaviour to date is any indication, will be an absolute panorama of well-rewarded lying and dissembling.

The man would not know what the truth was if it raised up and bit him on the ankles. And for all the hand-wringing about politicians being slimy, they are mere babes when compared to the duplicity of which Charles seems incredibly comfortable in living.

The kindest thing about the monarchy under Charles is that it's probably not going to be a hard-drinking one. And that's about as much as I can muster in the way of compliments.

Charles' reign will be a relatively short one given that he is likely to be nearing 80 years of age when he becomes king. How much he can develop or change the monarchy (or have the capacity to do so) in that time is therefore anyone's guess. Because of this, I am inclined to say that it will not matter so much what Camilla is known as or becomes because the reign will be so short and people will be looking even more intently towards William's reign.

I certainly do not mind Camilla becoming Queen, but I do have a strong feeling that she does not want the title whether she in entitled to it or not.

I agree that Charles' reign won't be as long as his mother's but see no reason why it shouldn't be about 20 years or so. If his mother can live to 100 so can he meaning he comes to the throne in 17 years aged 79 and reigns for 21 years with William then becoming King aged 65.

Charles' ancestry shows that men who look after themselves live very long lives and the women definitely do - Philip is nearing 90 and shows no signs of not making another 10 years himself. Philip's father and the Queen's father were both smokers and drinkers and Charles is neither of these. Going back further, particuarly on the male line, Philip's male line grandfather was assassinated so we don't know how long he would have lived but he was already in his 70s and his father also lived a very long life.

I see no reason, on health grounds, for Charles not to have a reign approaching 20 years.

Excuse me, did either of you read the remarks from the public at large attached to the Queen's Facebook recently? There are MANY people who dislike/have no respect for Camilla. This board is NOT an accurate representation of how Camilla is viewed at large. In the real world, there are no moderators.

I wouldn't say there were MANY people who don't like Camilla. People who wrote on that facebook page were most likely bored.
The public as a whole, has accepted Camilla.
If people want to say on this forum that they don't like Camilla, they are at full liberty to do so. Calling her rude names, saying she caused Diana's death or anything to do with the Wales' failed marriage is rude and out of order. Seeing as no one on here, or in the real world except Charles and Camilla know exactly what went on.

Cameron backs 'Queen Camilla': But the public want William to leapfrog Charles | Mail Online

Less than a third of the public believe Charles should become King, in a sign that they want the monarchy to skip a generation and revitalise itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom