The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Henry VIII is mainly remembered for having 6 wives and beheading two. The Church matter seems to come after that.
Prince Charles perhaps will be remembered for having a mistress and making her Queen. Perhaps that will be the first memory of him in the future. Unfortunate but very probable.
That's how he's remembered popularly. But his legacy certainly includes his efforts to break the domination of the Catholic clergy on the country and the introduction of the Church of England. Any halfway serious biography of him is going to address a lot more than the fact he married so many times.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William is being groomed to become the next British Monarch under an ‘arrangement’ that may see the first-in-line Prince Charles stepping aside.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...onarch/352752/

I would point out that the original article comes from the Daily Star!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Queen may be modernising but I don't think she'd modernise that much. If she's so against abdication, I can't imagine she would agree to leaving her throne to her grandson and skipping over her heir.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Prince William is being groomed to become the next British Monarch under an ‘arrangement’ that may see the first-in-line Prince Charles stepping aside.

I needed that.

But seriously, where do they pull this garbage from?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I would point out that the original article comes from the Daily Star!
In Germany an articles like that is a typical headline made for the ´Sommerloch´...( it means that there are no interesting/serious news during the summerbreak...so some funny or stupid headlines will be created...)
Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

I needed that.
so did I!

Quote:
From a galaxy far, far away . . . . . . .
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I needed that.

Unfortunately, wishful thinking. I think Charles is going to be a good monarch. He's shown all the signs of being quite capable.
What makes them think that William WANTS to take his father's place??
Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Just my personal opinion ...

Quote:
Prince William is being groomed to become the next British Monarch under an ‘arrangement’ that may see the first-in-line Prince Charles stepping aside ... [snipped]
It remains to be seen ...
As for the monarchy under Prince Charles, it will be usual, traditional as the monarchy is supposed to be ... Prince Charles will be a placid King. It would be fair to presume that being a King will significantly constrain his controversial comments.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Skipping a generation.....

The article was clearly not based on many facts, but it did raise an interesting thought. Whilst Charles may make a great monarch, him being "in the way" will mean that it is still a long time before Will gets to be King - and some may argue, that Britain will loose out on the opportunity to have a young and youthful monarch, who may invigorate the monarchy, and help bring it closer to the people. Being a traditonalist and not one to tinker with the traditional rules of monarchy, I would have thought that this was not a line of thought I was likely to push. The question really is that Will has the potential to be a real asset to the monarchy - and the question is how the BRF capitalises on it. Key amongst this will be for him to find and develop a meaningful role for himself and his wife - so that his "wait9ing" time is spend productively, and in a manner that will make him earn the respect of the people of the country.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Skipping a Generation

I think it's about time that the fictional faction pushing for William to elbow his father out of the way so we can all have a young, attractive, inexperienced, wonderkid King, checked their demographics.

The UK, like most western countries, is facing an ageing population. Speaking as one of the millions in my age group I can honestly say that I am diverted by the Royal verson of "The Young and the Restless" however, when push comes to shove, I don't want a Kid on the throne for no other reason than his father is older and therefore redundant.

Isn't age discrimination against the law over there?

Besides, the "Kid" hasn't shown what he's made of yet! And we can be absolutely sure that love him or hate him, "King" Charles will be making his own decisions based on his own experience and life lessons. Noone is going to manipulate him with any ease.

In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that our next King will be his own man and, breaking with tradition, continue to speak out for sustainability, spaces for living instead of concrete jungles, local farming versus Monsanto et al. etc, ad nauseum.

Wasn't it only a couple of weeks ago that Charles topped a poll of those that care for the countryside? How soon these yellow journo's forget. Oh wait, you have to actually know something to be able to "forget" it and since these guys are incapable of accurately researching a story let alone doing any reasearch whatsoever, my guess is we will just have to wait for the next thrilling installment of "Jealous Throbs the Heart at Court". I think the chapter heading is "Hamlet/William: Hopelessly misunderstood or just plain brainless!"
Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Back in the 1970s, when Charles was the young 20 something, there were calls for the Queen to abdicate so that the country could have a 'young with it' king on the throne who wouldn't have to wait for too long before he took over.

Sound familiar anyone!!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I think Charles will be a fine Monarch. Unfortunately, for him to get there somebody has to die first and I'm not liking that thought. . . .
Old 08-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Me neither Russo.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Me neither. She's the only monarch I've known and an icon in this nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Me neither Russo.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

I couldn't really find anywhere to put this -

PRINCE Charles is secretly plotting to make Camilla our QUEEN, the News of the World can sensationally reveal.

Prince Charles is secretly plotting to make Camilla our QUEEN | Royals | News | News Of The World

Oh right, NotW, it must be entirely accurate then!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

The will of the day, shall have it's way.

Though there's nothing seceret about the fact that she'll automatically assume the style and title of Her Majesty Queen upon her husbands succession. Unless of course the 'matter', is dealt with prior.

I'm glade to be impartial where this topic is concerned, however. Sure, I have my preference and one I'd welcome right to the end, but lets be honest. Her title will hardly make or break my liking of her. I see something considerate and warm in her...something which has for many years, due to unfortunate circumstances, remained hidden or obscure, I believe.

And I confess. How imposing does she look in the article's photoshop...

As for Australia, I'm pretty certain most could hardly care. The spouse of the monarch has not a single constitutional right, and bears no relevance whatsoever within this Commonwealth. They are obliged all styles and titles in accordance with British legislature, nothing more.

I'm starting to think it unlikely Charles will even become King of Australia, though if he were to inherit this indapendant crown, it would be a short stay I think. But who for president??...lol.

The matter of Camilla will have little, if any, effect on Australia's governmental future.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I couldn't really find anywhere to put this -

PRINCE Charles is secretly plotting to make Camilla our QUEEN, the News of the World can sensationally reveal.

Prince Charles is secretly plotting to make Camilla our QUEEN | Royals | News | News Of The World

Oh right, NotW, it must be entirely accurate then!
What is so secret for goodness´ sake, he married her. When he becomes King she will be Queen whether she is called Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Consort, or "Nothing". The King´s wife is Queen... (well there was the little detail of Mrs Fitzherbert!)
Old 09-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
What is so secret for goodness´ sake, he married her. When he becomes King she will be Queen whether she is called Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Consort, or "Nothing". The King´s wife is Queen... (well there was the little detail of Mrs Fitzherbert!)
AFAIK George IV. had already "divorced" Mrs. Fitzherbert when he became king plus their marriage was invalid according to the law of these times, otherwise George would have lost his place in the succession as Maria Fitzherbert was a Roman Catholic. Plus she was not an ambitious woman: when William IV. ascended the throne he offered her the title of duchess in her own right for her services to his late brother and she refused.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Nobility

I agree. There was a similar discussion in July 08 'Title for Camilla' thread. As the King's wife she is Queen . I think people know she would not rule etc. It is a psychological thing -Camilla won't be THE QUEEN. I think a lot of this is press manipulation to stir up antimonarchy feelings and sell papers.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
AFAIK George IV. had already "divorced" Mrs. Fitzherbert when he became king plus their marriage was invalid according to the law of these times, otherwise George would have lost his place in the succession as Maria Fitzherbert was a Roman Catholic. Plus she was not an ambitious woman: when William IV. ascended the throne he offered her the title of duchess in her own right for her services to his late brother and she refused.
That is what they said(the divorced part) and that saved him from being called a bigamist . I believe he carried her portrait to the end of his days.
I believe that by the time Charles becomes King all will be forgotten and it will be Long Live Queen Camilla.
The lady grows on you, I never thought I would say that but.....never say never.

Tags
british, camilla, charles iii, charles of wales, coronation, crown jewels, duchess of cornwall, legacy, prince charles, prince of wales, queen camilla, titles, william v