The Monarchy after Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but there is a large population of Britain who feels the same way

Where is this large population in Britain who feel the same way? I live in Britain, I've been a journalist for 20 years and I certainly don't see this "large" population.
There's a small vocal minority, usually among the republican political parties like Alec Salmond's Scottish National Party but most polls on the street don't wish to see an end to the Monarchy at all.
In fact, given the whole farcical situation in recent years with the Tony Blair/Gordon Brown Prime Minister situation, I suspect the number of people who'd like to see an elected Head of State similar to the US has gone down even more.
The amount of people who, inaccurately, state they "didn't vote for Gordon Brown" as Prime Minister (given that, unless they live in Sedgefield, they didn't vote for Tony Blair either as we don't elect our Prime Ministers they are chosen by the Political Party in power) has also risen in the last few years.

In addition, Charles' reputation has risen over the last few years as he has begun more and more to take on an elder statesman role and the recent BBC documentary on him at 60 has, the same as the recent one about Anne at 60, thrown new light into their personalities and sense of humour etc.

I think anyone writing off Charles not only becoming King but being a well loved and successful one, outside of the small Republican minority in the UK, are hugely mistaken.

Where is this large population in Britain who feel the same way? I live in Britain, I've been a journalist for 20 years and I certainly don't see this "large" population.
Exactly.That would mean the end of an era..

In my opinion, the British monarchy after Elizabeth II will deteriorate. I predict that after Elizabeth II passes away, some commonwealth realms will abolish the monarchy.

Basically, the last days of the monarchy will begin after the Queen's death.

In my opinion, the British monarchy after Elizabeth II will deteriorate. I predict that after Elizabeth II passes away, some commonwealth realms will abolish the monarchy.

Basically, the last days of the monarchy will begin after the Queen's death.

Interestingly enough 109 years ago the editorials of the papers in Britain were saying exactly the same thing and Edward VII was able to actually increase the prestige of the monarchy at that time.

I think Charles will reinvent the monarchy for the 21st century.

I actually see this 'republican tide' ebbing fast away this century as the influence of the USA wanes and Asia rises myself. Anyone who thinks of it being 'the opportunity to get some royal blood on the block' will be sadly disappointed when Charles and William have their turn at a Reign.

I have my doubts because Charles is unpopular and William doesn't seem to want to be King.

At the risk of pissing off my non British friends at TRF, I don't think its possible for those of us who don't live in Britain or the Commonwealth to judge how popular or unpopular Charles is. Sorry to say, I don't think this board is a true representation of the UK and the Commonwealth. There are people in England who thinks Charles is doing a great job, those who think he isn't and those who are plain indifferent. On this board, we have the first two but do the indifferent speak up? When the Queen dies, will they continue to be indifferent thus allowing the House of Windsor the ability to continue to reign?

History has shown that the British during various times in their history have had AMPLE opportunity to depose of the monarchy and they haven't. They said it wouldn't last after Edward VII and Edward VIII and it did. The monarchy has changed and evolved.

As for William, he might have been uneasy about being King when he was a child (who wouldn't?) but he knows his duty and he won't let his family or his country down if the British public doesn't do away with the monarchy.

So random polls that show that Charles is unpopular don't really mean much to me. Its like the Neilsen ratings in the US that determine the most popular shows on television. I am not a Neilsen family, and I don't know anyone who is. Yet those who are a member of the Nielsens, determine whether or not my favorite shows are renewed based up on if they are watching them. If they aren't watching them, then the shows are cancelled and then I am not watching them.

Last edited:
My impression, from what I've heard people say, is that there's a negative feeling about Prince Charles. The feeling seems to be one of disappointment more than actual dislike.

At the risk of pissing off my non British friends at TRF, I don't think its possible for those of us who don't live in Britain or the Commonwealth to judge how popular or unpopular Charles is..

I would say its a mix of disappointment and the fact that he is completely boring. Just my opinion of course!

I think it's a mix of the following...

*Being, in all fairness, misunderstood to an extent.
*Being considered a sulk on occasion (Which I happen to concur with).
*Percieved as being really quite dull.
*Baggage of a personal nature that, rightly or wrongly, was always bound to stick.
*Not without his eccentricities.
*It's always easy to pass judgement on someone we don't know personally, but 'think we do' because of their public profile.

Personally, I happen to admire his love of the environment and invested interest in preserving, or re-establishing, a more organic way of life.

I think that the monarchy will change, as maybe a lot of the pomp and ceremony will go. Many people admire The Prince of Wales for his ideas and the fact that he is interested in people, just as his uncle The Duke of Windsor was, if he feels something needs saying he is not afraid to say it, I refer to the comments he has made on architecture. If anything stops him becoming king I think this will be it.

as maybe a lot of the pomp and ceremony will go.

To me, that would be not only a great shame, but a move that should be carefully considered.

I don't think it to be a very wise course of action, myself.

To me, that would be not only a great shame, but a move that should be carefully considered.

I don't think it to be a very wise course of action, myself.

I think so too, but I know there is a royal committee that looks at how they can change and modernise. Some things may go , after all debutantes are no longer presented at court.

I think it's a mix of the following...

*Being, in all fairness, misunderstood to an extent.
*Being considered a sulk on occasion (Which I happen to concur with).
*Percieved as being really quite dull.
*Baggage of a personal nature that, rightly or wrongly, was always bound to stick.
*Not without his eccentricities.
*It's always easy to pass judgement on someone we don't know personally, but 'think we do' because of their public profile.

Personally, I happen to admire his love of the environment and invested interest in preserving, or re-establishing, a more organic way of life.

My take on it is Charles became boring as soon as he married. Where he wanted to spend time "down on the farm and getting dirty fingernails" and talking to plants... his wife was a photog's dream collecting flora and fauna and being in the public eye. Perhaps if they'd grown together and found common interest, the both of them would have been as adored and admires as HM and the DoE were in the the 50s.. 60s.. and actually to this day. Charles just had a time period where he could have totally saved the world but no one would notice.. they wanted Diana.

He's still talking to his plants, and feeling his soil and asking it what it needs to be prosperous. He's still concerned about how the the wee plot of land we call our own can be healthy and he's more informed that I am.. he can see the global deterioration.

The public might be disinterested and think what matters to him is boring. To be honest.. I'd rather watch a movie than a special on global warming although the numbers of the information out there is greatly increasing.

When I DO think about this issue though.. I think of Charles.

As much as I support the institution of monarchy and would not wish to see Britain becoming a republic, I am struggling with the fact that I have developed a rather indifferent feeling towards our royal family and can find no prospect of excitement at the thought of Charles becoming king, nor indeed William becoming king. All I can say is that Charles will most certainly put his mark on being king and his reign will be very different from that of his mother.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I would rather Anne become Queen than Charles become King, and for Charles and Diana to have had girls or for the line of succession to be equal so they could have had one girl and one boy.

I totally get your point.

Our only hope is that when and if Wiliam becomes King....equal succession will be on the table and if he has a first born daughter, she will become Queen.

For some reason I have the feeling that a Queen even after Charles would have been wonderful, someone for HM to teach like she has done wonderfully with Anne.

Yes it would be nice. Unfortunately for Anne and many outstanding daughters...she was born in a different era. Although each English Queen has done an outstanding job....Elizabeth I, Victoria and Elizabeth II...Anne II (would have been great!).

Anne...sister of Mary (of William and Mary ) daughter of James II. Last of the Stuarts.

Ahh yes my apolgies. Well lets hope for equal primogenture or all girls for William.

Unless you are discussing the possibility of giving all children of a monarch (or heir) succession rights regardless of their gender or "legitimacy" of birth, I am not sure what you mean by "equal" primogeniture.:ermm:

No kind of primogeniture brings the best on the throne. If you want the best candidate on the throne, go for elective monarchy.

Absolute, equal or lineal primogeniture, known in French as aînesse intégrale (integral primogeniture), is inheritance by the oldest surviving child without regard to gender. It is also known as (full) cognatic primogeniture today. This form of primogeniture was not practiced by any modern monarchy before 1980.

It's easier to call it Equal Primogenture.

An elective monarchy wouldn't be the same as it is today. Either Monarch or President.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh yes my apolgies. Well lets hope for equal primogenture or all girls for William.

Only if it is extended to all titles as well. To me it is totally ridiculous that Beatrice could theoretically become Queen but can't inherit her father's title.

If they ever change the law regarding inheritance to the throne it should add to all titles.

All I can say is that Charles will most certainly put his mark on being king and his reign will be very different from that of his mother.

That I would definitely agree with. Queen Elizabeth keeps her personal views to herself, but I don`t think Charles will. He has his own opinions on things and he isn`t afraid to make them heard. Charles doesn`t seem like someone who`d be comfortable just going along with the status quo, the way last few monarchs mostly have been. I think he really wants to make a difference. Whether that`s a good or a bad thing depends on your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom