The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This is perhaps one of the best, logical posts I've seen made taken from an article in a long time. It takes the prominent issue of just why all the opinion that Charles should step aside in favor of William without cluttering it up with the run of the mill sensationalism that can come alone with these sort of of articles.

Thanks hel!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:19 AM
Majesty

Agreed. We all needed a change of direction and I would go so far as to say it couldn't have been better timed. And yes I believe that she has already spent one overnight in hospital and as I posted earlier, medical vehicles have been sighted at KP recently.

Should Harry announce his engagement it will be even better with two really special things to look forward to. And now all we need is for the haters to stop ragging on about punishing Charles by making him stand down so William can become the next king. William doesn't want to be the king any time soon, he's got his hands full.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this fits better here than in the residence thread.

More from the Times - some quotes from the article:

Prince Charles: I won’t live at Buckingham Palace
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...lace-9jxdvdqm9
Quote:
The Prince of Wales wants to give up Buckingham *Palace as a royal residence when he becomes king and is discussing plans to turn it into a more businesslike “monarchy HQ”, say royal insiders.

The Duke of Cambridge is also believed to agree that the palace is too large and costly for modern family life. Prince Charles thinks it could be made more commercially viable by opening it to the public on a larger scale than is possible with the Queen in residence.

The sources said Charles has told staff he does not intend to live at the palace. One said the prince was “very comfortable” at *Clarence House, his London home *formerly occupied by the Queen Mother, and both he and the *Duchess of Cornwall are believed to be keen to remain living there.
Roya Nikkhah goes on to write that the palace might become a museum open for longer periods with an exhibition dedicated to the Queen's record-breaking reign under Charles.

But I doubt that there are any truth to it - why? This - also from the article:

Quote:
A Clarence House spokesman said: “Buckingham Palace will remain the official London residence of the monarch.”

A royal source said: “We have continued to say that Kensington Palace will be the Duke of Cambridge’s residence throughout the next reign, whereupon he will move into Buckingham Palace.”
And this:
Charles's communications secretary denies reports that the Prince will not live at Buckingham Palace when he is King – Royal Central
Quote:
The Prince of Wales’s communications secretary, Julian Payne, has denied reports that Prince Charles will not reside at Buckingham Palace once he becomes King.

Commenting on the story, Mr Payne simply said that the story is untrue.
Here's the tweet:
https://twitter.com/JPplustwo/status/909162453988249601
Old 09-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

If Charles follows the schedule that the Queen follows when King like Christmas, January and part of February, BP could be opened during that time. However, you still need the palace for garden parties, receptions, state dinners, investitures. BP is also basically the office space for royal household.

If you open BP year round, that's more wear and tear on the building. More need for security to screen all the people. More staff to attend to the guests. Plus when the have the summer opening, they build temporary restrooms, a cafe and gift shop in the garden.

Also let's not forget the 10 years of renovations BP is undergoing. A lot of money is being spent there.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Aren't they renovating BP right now? Or scheduling it for major renovations that will take years? Under such conditions it makes sense that the next monarch will not live there. But it would also be important to maintain the idea that BP will be a residence, else how to justify the extensive renovation fitting the place for a future monarch who would want to live there? Not so?

It seems like two 'realities' are possibly being conflated: Charles and Camillia won't be moving into BP but that has mostly to do with years of renovation work taking place, and BP may well be the residence for William when he becomes monarch, by-passing CH. So both stories are true.

All sorted.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Majesty

Buckingham Palace is where the Monarch lives and even though both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth wanted to stay at Clarence House they were required to move to Buckingham Palace. I don't see Charles being able to break that tradition. It has the international cachet that CH doesn't and it is a working Palace with the guards actually guarding members of the BRF.

Besides, CH doesn't have the famous Balcony.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Buckingham Palace is where the Monarch lives and even though both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth wanted to stay at Clarence House they were required to move to Buckingham Palace. I don't see Charles being able to break that tradition. It has the international cachet that CH doesn't and it is a working Palace with the guards actually guarding members of the BRF.

Besides, CH doesn't have the famous Balcony.
They'd go over there to do all of that stuff. They just wouldn't live there.

I think wherever the monarch lives will have cache. BP isn't that far from CH and certainly KP is in walking distance. They could even renovate so that there are a warren of underground passageways, even an underground electric tram (like D.C. has) for travel between the various buildings by the principals and employees.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke and Duchess of York as George VI and Queen Elizabeth would have been prior to the abdication never lived at CH so they wouldn't have wanted to live there instead of BP. Queen Victoria's son Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn lived at CH until 1942
Old 09-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Duke and Duchess of York as George VI and Queen Elizabeth would have been prior to the abdication never lived at CH so they wouldn't have wanted to live there instead of BP. Queen Victoria's son Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn lived at CH until 1942
You are absolutely correct. My research was faulty . . . now I just have to find out who the last unhappy BP residents were.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I read in one of the Queen's bios that she actually didn't want to move into BP but her advisors at the time strongly encouraged her to do so.

I've also read that Charles wants to stay in CH and leave BP more or less as offices or for whoever is living there could still stay too.

LaRae
Old 09-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think anyone, from King William IV on actually wanted to live at BP. It is reputedly draughty, cold and inconvenient.
The Queen and Prince Philip were living at CH in 1952, had got it just the way they liked it, and didn't want to move. Perhaps it was them you were thinking of, MARG?
The Queen Mother took her time in moving out of BP at that time, but I think it was just not wanting to leave her time as Queen Consort behind rather than any love for the building as a home.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles wouldn't give up Buckingham Palace for nothing in the world. He adores the grandeur of the place. It's the family headquarters.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 AM
Majesty

We have no clue what Charles would or wouldn't do. There is a bit of sense in wanting to stay at Clarence House though. Especially if the renovations of Buckingham Palace is going to take a good amount of time.

It may make sense that the King lives at Clarence House where he is quite comfortable now with the memories of his grandmother all around him. To him, its "home". Being in close proximity to BP, the "office" is right around the corner and an ideal setting for affairs of state and garden parties and things relevant to the monarchy.

I can't remember if it was Philip or not who said that living at BP was like living above the shop. Personally, I like the idea of Charles being able to live where he feels most "at home". Don't we all?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Let's not forget that Buckingham Palace is a very homey place too. I know the most we see is the state rooms, but there are the Royals private quarters too.

It's really up to the royals to breathe new life into the place. I think how the Obamas brung life into the White House. Charles can do the same to Buckingham Palace. The concerts, activities, ceremonies and other events can help take that place from being a museum like structure, to a place of warmth and fun.

I think Charles could take the red carpet up in the ballroom and bring back the glory of the dance events that used to be held there.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles wouldn't give up Buckingham Palace for nothing in the world. He adores the grandeur of the place. It's the family headquarters.
The Prince of Wales is known for his great taste. That makes me hard to believe he "loves" Buckingham Palace, a grey mammoth with Edelkitsch interiors hiding the beautiful original premises.

When we look at all his efforts for Highgrove, for Llwynywermod, for Dumfries, then a bigger contrast in taste, style and looks is not possible. In my opinion Buckingham Palace can serve alike the royal palaces in Stockholm, Madrid, Amsterdam, Luxembourg and Brussels: none of these are the actual living residences of the monarch but all are very much functioning for the execution of the royal role.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I read in one of the Queen's bios that she actually didn't want to move into BP but her advisors at the time strongly encouraged her to do so.

I've also read that Charles wants to stay in CH and leave BP more or less as offices or for whoever is living there could still stay too.

LaRae
Staying at Clarence House and then use Buckingham Palace for official events is very sensible. Let us not forget that Buckingham Palace also houses hundreds of staff. Leaving the palace to go to Clarence House litterally means leaving "office" and be at home in a far more private setting.

King Carl XVI Gustaf lives at Drottningholm but uses the Royal Palace in Stockholm.
King Felipe VII lives at La Zarzuela but uses the Palacio Real de Madrid.
King Philippe lives at the Château de Laeken but uses the Koninklijk Paleis / Palais Royal in Brussels
King Willem-Alexander will move to Huis ten Bosch but uses the Koninklijk Paleis in Amsterdam.
Grand-Duke Henri lives at Schloss Colmar-Berg but uses the Palais Grand-Ducal in Luxembourg.

All of them have made a separation between their private family life and the "office". And that has nothing to do with size: the palaces in Madrid and Stockholm are e-nor-mous, the biggest royal residences in the world. Still theze royals made the choice to keep distance between private family-life and "the Firm".
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Let's not forget that Buckingham Palace is a very homey place too. I know the most we see is the state rooms, but there are the Royals private quarters too.

It's really up to the royals to breathe new life into the place. I think how the Obamas brung life into the White House. Charles can do the same to Buckingham Palace. The concerts, activities, ceremonies and other events can help take that place from being a museum like structure, to a place of warmth and fun.

I think Charles could take the red carpet up in the ballroom and bring back the glory of the dance events that used to be held there.
There are already 100s of concerts, activities, ceremonies, receptions, etc taking place at BP but it will always be more a museum than anything else.

The Queen stays there only a couple of nights a week and although it is Andrew and Edward's London base they too are hardly ever there preferring their country homes to that place.

No one has ever wanted to live there other than Victoria who saw it as a home away from KP and that is all.

Edward VII and Alexandra weren't that keen and Alexandra really wanted to stay at Marlborough House.

George V and Mary accepted it as a fait accompli but again spent as little time there as possible as did George VI and Elizabeth who also preferred Windsor and the country homes to that of the palace at the end of the Mall. It isn't a 'home' but a place of work and as quickly as possible those that do live there decamp elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard anyone that actually has lived at Buckingham Palace call it "homey". There have been a lot of adjectives used to describe the palace but "homey" isn't one of them. Once when the Queen was asked why she carries her purse with her even when "at home" at BP, she astutely remarked "its a big place".

All those things you mentioned that Charles could do with Buckingham Palace when he is king are a good possibility and it would be nice to see some of that come back to the palace but it doesn't necessarily mean that that he'd want it to be his home. Home is where you hang your hat and your heart and as with Highgrove, Charles has many happy memories of a lifetime with Clarence House, I think, more so than Buckingham Palace.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that he isn't that crazy about BP, it doesn't seem to be a very family orientated place and wen he was married he moved from there to KP and I think ti was always intended that when the Q Mother died, he and his wife woud go to Clarence house.. Now he's gone ther with Camilla. SO I think he may have a pied a terre at BP but he will continiue to live at CH and use BP for an office and state functions.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

All those events listed are already happening at the palace though. Charles doesn't need to bring anything back as they never left.

BP has hosted receptions, garden parties, concerts, dinners, lunches, investitures and a range of other events this year.

They don't receive any video coverage however so people don't realise that they are held there but reading the CC gives a good idea of the range of activities that take place at BP each year.

This month alone (and the online CC is only up to the 12th) has: 2 receptions, 2 lunches, 2 receiveds. September is a quiet month as the palace is still open to the public, the Queen is in Scotland and most of the royals are largely still on holiday and yet in these 12 days 6 events there (mainly by Andrew).

On some days there can be 6 events in the day by different royals (not including the days when the Queen has half a dozen audiences).

Tags
future of the monarchy