The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Funny that you went off topic too

Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Squirrell ,

Aside from being twice divorced [a CARDINAL sin in 1936] Wallis Simpson was known [by MI5] to be having an affair with Joachim von Ribbentrop [Hitlers ambassador in Britain] AND 'a used car salesman' at the same time as conducting her relationship with Prince [then King] Edward.
So it was not merely the [perceived] waspishness and unpleasantness of character that marked her as wholly unsuitable as British Queen Consort, but that she is likely to have passed on Edwards indiscreet 'pillowtalk' to he Nazi's in the run up to WWII.
War was already anticipated in the mid-thirties and it was [rightly] unthinkable that a Woman with NO loyalty to Britain, or her husband{s} should be in so crucial a role at that time.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Princess Squirrell ,

Aside from being twice divorced [a CARDINAL sin in 1936] Wallis Simpson was known [by MI5] to be having an affair with Joachim von Ribbentrop [Hitlers ambassador in Britain] AND 'a used car salesman' at the same time as conducting her relationship with Prince [then King] Edward.
So it was not merely the [perceived] waspishness and unpleasantness of character that marked her as wholly unsuitable as British Queen Consort, but that she is likely to have passed on Edwards indiscreet 'pillowtalk' to he Nazi's in the run up to WWII.
War was already anticipated in the mid-thirties and it was [rightly] unthinkable that a Woman with NO loyalty to Britain, or her husband{s} should be in so crucial a role at that time.

Totally agree.
I am American, and I think Wallis was totally unsuitable and would have been a nightmare as Queen. Comparing Wallis to Camilla is comparing apples and oranges. Not that I totally believe what MI5 was putting out at that time. She had so many other faults, their intel was moot.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:44 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The fact that the CoE was also dead against divorce played a role in it all too with Wallis. Times and attitudes changed. I don't think Wallis was the sticking point either. David, himself, was a man they didn't want to be king and it was a blessing for the UK that he abdicated. It all worked out in the long run.

Camilla basically knew Charles so well that she was and is able to bring out the best in him. She understands his moods and his idiosyncrasies and Charles knows that she'll be beside him no matter what but yet doesn't hold on to him too tightly so that he can enjoy his alone times to unwind or be constantly on the go doing things he needs to do. They both have a secure relationship that they don't have to worry about.

They both go ahead with what they do and in doing so, just kind of present themselves to the public as a older, ordinary couple. No glamor, no drama, no trend setting fashions which are what the media feeds on. They keep their private lives to themselves so basically the media doesn't really have much to report about these two other than cover their public lives which doesn't serve to create screaming headlines. This is how it should be. As King and consort, that will be the focus on them very similar to HM's coverage now. We rarely hear about the private life of the Queen and the inner workings. The Queen is on retreat at her blessed Balmoral and none of that makes the papers or headline news.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Totally agree.
I am American, and I think Wallis was totally unsuitable and would have been a nightmare as Queen. Comparing Wallis to Camilla is comparing apples and oranges. Not that I totally believe what MI5 was putting out at that time. She had so many other faults, their intel was moot.
Couldn't agree more! Wallis would have been a terrible Queen Consort, and more importantly, had Edward continued to sit on the throne (thank god that this didn't happen) he would have been even worse as monarch and most likely destroyed the monarchy. And comparing either of these two with Charles and Camilla is just wrong.

And this is 2017 not 1936.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Commoner

Vows

What does anybody think about what Charles said regarding his coronation vows? That he wants to be defender of 'faiths' not 'The Faith.'
Old 08-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think that when the time comes for Charles' coronation, I sincerely doubt that he will veer away from tradition and will be anointed as King and the Supreme Governor of the Church of England as monarchs before him have done.

One thing I think will be true of Charles though as monarch is that he will continue to honor and respect all faiths. Of all the Windsors, I think Charles is the one that has gone out of his way to know and understand different faiths, beliefs and practices and that is going to be of value to him in a country that is growing more and more diverse as time passes.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

TBH I think it would be more of a reflection of modern society but then, equally do other faiths feel he is the person to "defend" them?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

After an error by a Government official, we now know that the codename of the coronation is Operation Golden Orb, and that the title of Defender of the Faith will be retained:
Operation Golden Orb: Codename given by officials for Charles's top secret coronation plans is revealed after Whitehall blunder* | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Charles, who will be the oldest Monarch to ever take the crown, will also retain the title of ‘Defender of the Faith’ like his predecessors despite reports he would be ‘Defender of Faith’ instead.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Nobility

With respect, it is not up to Prince Charles to defend other faiths; though of course if it's said as defend people's right to their own faith, that's all right.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I just saw a film on french TV about Prince Philip.
He wanted a modern Coronation. But the Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Queens Mary and Elisabeth QM refused and wanted a traditonnal what happen.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I just saw a film on french TV about Prince Philip.
He wanted a modern Coronation. But the Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Queens Mary and Elisabeth QM refused and wanted a traditonnal what happen.
He didn't stand a chance against those three. At least he didn't demand to be made King, though.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

What on earth is a modern coronation. I understand that some of the European MOnarchies don't have a coronation anymore but just a simple investiture ceremony... that would be the equivalent surely.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What on earth is a modern coronation. I understand that some of the European MOnarchies don't have a coronation anymore but just a simple investiture ceremony... that would be the equivalent surely.
I love the pageantry of our coronation ceremonies. I too read that we are pretty unique in still having the 'full works.' I think in most European countries with monarchies, the crown in just on display at the investiture, but is not actually placed on the monarch's head. And of course duchies and principalities don't have a crown as there is no king or queen. Prince Albert II just had an enthronement. Don't know about non-European countries as the book I read was just concerning European monarchies.

Funny but Brits born after 1953 have never witnessed a live coronation, me included. My mum is 77 and only there for one, the current Queen's one.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harldy funny since the queen's reign is now the longest ever, as far as I recall.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Harald of Norway had a very grand and beautiful blessing ceremony in Nidaros cathedral where his grandparents and the medieval kings of Norway were crowned. Queen Sonja was dressed in all white (at the investiture in the Parliament she was veiled and dressed in all black) and the crowns were placed in front of them. To my knowledge that's as close to a modern coronation you can get.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Commoner

Coronation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Harldy funny since the queen's reign is now the longest ever, as far as I recall.
It didn't mean funny in that way. Never mind.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
After an error by a Government official, we now know that the codename of the coronation is Operation Golden Orb, and that the title of Defender of the Faith will be retained:
Operation Golden Orb: Codename given by officials for Charles's top secret coronation plans is revealed after Whitehall blunder* | Daily Mail Online
Interesting.

But surely he couldn't be Defender of Faith anyway as Britain has an official state religion?
And that means one religion.
So until Britain no longer has an official religion that title is out.
I imagine there are moves to abolish the state church so to speak, and turn Britain into a religiously neutral country? Is there any chance of that happening within the next couple of decades you (all of you) think?

Because that would mean the throne would be open to someone of any religion, or an atheist. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense IMO.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Interesting.

But surely he couldn't be Defender of Faith anyway as Britain has an official state religion?
And that means one religion.
So until Britain no longer has an official religion that title is out.
I imagine there are moves to abolish the state church so to speak, and turn Britain into a religiously neutral country? Is there any chance of that happening within the next couple of decades you (all of you) think?

Because that would mean the throne would be open to someone of any religion, or an atheist. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense IMO.
I believe there is a chance that the CoE will be disestablished at some point in this century, but the initiative to do it will have to come from the politicians, not least because it would require an act of Parliament. Since the proposed legislation would affect a royal prerogative, custom dictates that the monarch would be consulted first, but I am pretty sure that neither Charles nor William would object to disestablishment.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Nobility

So I was poking through the Tom Sykes archive at the daily beast, because sometimes it's interesting to see his spin on things.

Last week he wrote an article about how the Cambridge pregnancy is particularly well timed since it has reset the PR narrative after a terrible summer. (How Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reset the Royal Narrative After Disastrous, Diana-Fueled Summer)

He makes a good point here:

Quote:
The calls for the crown to skip a generation are as unwelcome to William as they are to his father.
The last thing Prince William wants or needs is for his father to abdicate his claim to the throne.
This is not just because William would like to spend the next 20 or 30 years with a lower profile and less official duties (although he no doubt would). It’s also because William knows that if his father gives in to rule by opinion poll, if those same opinion polls turn against William—be that in 30, 40, or 50 years time—the gig will be up, and the monarchy may well be gone.
The article then goes a bit off the rails, since Sykes seems to think that Kate's been suffering HG for weeks and they deliberately held off until September (which makes no sense with the available pictorial evidence).

But the thrust of the article is sound: the story about the monarchy is heavily focused on the baby whereas two weeks ago the world was in convulsions of "but what about Diana's impact on whether Charles can/will be king". It's a good bit of luck.

Tags
future of the monarchy