The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have no problem with the idea of Princess Consort with all future consorts being styled Prince or Princess Consort.

The obvious problem that first presents itself is that Charle's and his heirs would no longer be a Prince or Princesses so what could their Consort be prince or princess of?
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. Could you please clarify? Because it seems to me, Charles would be King, so no longer a prince. His sons would still be princes and Royal Dukes.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have no problem with the idea of Princess Consort with all future consorts being styled Prince or Princess Consort.

The obvious problem that first presents itself is that Charle's and his heirs would no longer be a Prince or Princesses so what could their Consort be prince or princess of?
Why wouldn't Charles and his heirs be a Prince or Princess?

If the throne past to William then George and Charlotte would be HRH The Prince George and HRH The Princess Charlotte.

Like ALL the princes and princess of xxxxx in the UK the xxxx shows their line and relationship to the monarch while they are all Princes and Princess of the United Kingdom. The 'of Wales', 'of Cambridge', 'of York', 'of Kent' etc are there to show which actual line of UK princes and princesses they are and that is all.

Think back to Queen Victoria - how many of her grandchildren were either Victoria or Albert. The 'of Wales' or 'of Albany' etc helped distinguish where they were in the line of things while the real 'of' was 'of the UK' or 'of Prussia/Germany' etc

Old 08-21-2017, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Yet another new poll (a YouGov one) shows Charles's popularity sinking.

The YouGov poll finds 36% of the British public think that Charles has been beneficial to the monarchy compared to 60% in 2013. 27% think he has had a negative impact on the royals in contrast to 15% four years ago.

Ranked in order, 78% thought William had a positive impact, 77% Harry, 73% Duchess of Cambridge, 36% Charles, 18% for the Duchess of Cornwall. Only 14% want Camilla to become Queen when Charles becomes King.

https://www.metro.news/charles-popul...ersary/716703/
Old 08-21-2017, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yet another new poll (a YouGov one) shows Charles's popularity sinking.

The YouGov poll finds 36% of the British public think that Charles has been beneficial to the monarchy compared to 60% in 2013. 27% think he has had a negative impact on the royals in contrast to 15% four years ago.

Ranked in order, 78% thought William had a positive impact, 77% Harry, 73% Duchess of Cambridge, 36% Charles, 18% for the Duchess of Cornwall. Only 14% want Camilla to become Queen when Charles becomes King.

https://www.metro.news/charles-popul...ersary/716703/
I honestly wonder how responsible it is to poll on the question of whom should be the next monarch. I'd argue that the act of polling gives people a false sense that they have a choice in the matter. That false sense itself is bound to affect the results, too.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Polls are conducted on everything. YouGov just did a poll on how much money the tooth fairy should leave children for missing teeth.

People probably know they can't pick the next king but nevertheless the question gets asked and people give their choice.

The institution of monarchy is very strong in Britain and I think it's good the 'young' royals are popular. A high tide lifts all boats.

Charles and Camilla just has never been able to get over the War of The Wales in the eye of the public.

Still his approval rating rating is probably higher than the prime minister's
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

hel, this wasn't a poll on a choice of monarch, but how beneficial to the monarchy each particular Royal person is in the opinion of the person being polled. The question 'Who would you like as monarch?' wasn't asked.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

I find it interesting that a person who has raised millions for charity and set up a programme that has helped 100,000s of British young people is seen as less beneficial to the British monarchy that a part-time royal who does very little and has even said he isn't sure was a 'working royal' is.

This is simply evidence of the damage all the recent publicity about Diana is doing to Charles and Camilla and no doubt William and Harry will be pleased at this turn of events. They set it in motion with their 'we weren't helped when mummy died' and by not even suggesting that their father tried the inference is clear 'their father didn't care enough to even try to help'. Not mentioning any support from their father has hurt him. They either wanted it to happen or are so stupid they didn't realise that it would happen and anyone with half a brain would have realised this outcome. That says then very clearly that they want it to happen.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
hel, this wasn't a poll on a choice of monarch, but how beneficial to the monarchy each particular Royal person is in the opinion of the person being polled. The question 'Who would you like as monarch?' wasn't asked.
::sigh::

You know, I posted from my phone, looked at my post, thought "ugh, I should go back and edit this to clarify that I understand that *this* poll didn't ask that particular question but, because of the inclusion of the Camilla question triggers thoughts I have had percolating about all of these polls" but the mobile app doesn't easily let one edit one's posts, and then I had to come downstairs and make my kid's lunch for camp.

So, yeah.

The larger question, IMO, stands, whether *this poll* asked the question or not.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Fine, hel. Understood!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Polls are conducted on everything. YouGov just did a poll on how much money the tooth fairy should leave children for missing teeth.

People probably know they can't pick the next king but nevertheless the question gets asked and people give their choice.

The institution of monarchy is very strong in Britain and I think it's good the 'young' royals are popular. A high tide lifts all boats.

Charles and Camilla just has never been able to get over the War of The Wales in the eye of the public.

Still his approval rating rating is probably higher than the prime minister's
I've recently seen FB posts from what one might call -- in this context -- "low-information voters", who credulously post those "queen is going to skip Charles and give the throne to William" articles, and then defend them. I don't think we can rely on people knowing that that's not how it works, TBH.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Article from Dickie Arbiter (from August 21th), that I forgot to post here - read more:
It's time we learned to cherish and stop chastising Prince Charles
Quote:
When I first met Charles, as a reporter in the late Seventies, I was struck by what an excellent communicator he was. Our interview took place at Buckingham Palace, where an innovative environmentally friendly bottle bank was to be installed, something he’d championed. He was passionate and determined, a drive that has been in evidence ever since.

Always well-informed, the Prince of Wales is a campaigner at heart, and has long been a catalyst for change. Criticised for the “spidery” letters he has sent to ministers, he always has the public interest at heart, asking the questions we want answered.

When he ascends to the throne, he will be the best prepared monarch we’ve ever had, and probably ever will have. Charles has been in training for 60-odd years, and the Queen has been grooming him for his very public role ever since he left the Navy in 1976. It is time we learned to cherish him.
Charles deserves to be our next king, says Sun royal photographer Arthur Edwards - read more:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/433637...-photographer/
Old 08-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Commoner

Charles popularity

Just speaking to other Brits, they, like me, say that if Camilla becomes queen, they will lose respect for the BRF. My mum for just one example. A skip to William or Camilla having a lesser title than queen would not cause these problems. Also, if Camilla were queen, she would be the first divorced queen ever in the BRF. Wallis Simpson was considered unsuitable for this reason. And though Charles divorced too, his spouse is not still alive, Camilla's is.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
Just speaking to other Brits, they, like me, say that if Camilla becomes queen, they will lose respect for the BRF. My mum for just one example. A skip to William or Camilla having a lesser title than queen would not cause these problems. Also, if Camilla were queen, she would be the first divorced queen ever in the BRF. Wallis Simpson was considered unsuitable for this reason. And though Charles divorced too, his spouse is not still alive, Camilla's is.

Eleanor of Aquitaine was a divorced Queen. At least by the standards of her day.

Just sticking that out there.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Eleanor of Aquitaine was a divorced Queen. At least by the standards of her day.

Just sticking that out there.
Her marriage was annulled. That isn't the same as a divorce. And before anybody points to Prince Harry probably going to marry Meghan Markle, Harry isn't likely to ever be king.

I'm not arguing that divorce shouldn't be allowed for the heir to the throne and their consort, just pointing out how this particular case is perceived by the British general public. Hence the results of the recent polls.

Of course Charles is more prepared than any other heir to the throne in the country's history. But he may end up being king for maybe only 10 or so years. In which case Camilla not being queen won't be a big deal.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Nobility

I'm not sure I understand why being a divorced queen is a problem. Kings John, Henry VIII, George I all ended marriages, and George IV was formally separated from his and had a domestic arrangement with another woman.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I'm not sure I understand why being a divorced queen is a problem. Kings John, Henry VIII, George I all ended marriages, and George IV was formally separated from his and had a domestic arrangement with another woman.
Wonder why it was a problem with Wallace Simpson then.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Nobility

Because she was American, divorced more than once, and generally held to be not very pleasant.

If Wallis had been personable and had treated everyone around her with kindness and respect, there might have been fewer objections to the match.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wallis being divorced was the excuse the government were looking for to get rid of an unsuitable King. Better to blame it on the woman then indicate to the people that the system could produce a totally unsatisfactory person in that role.

I have a distant relative (a cousin of my grandmother) who was in the government at the time and they were talking about how to remove Edward from as early as Easter - long before the Wallis story broke but when it did they were able to use that. They stopped sending him the most sensitive information around May due to his lack of care with documents - ones marked 'Top Secret' and 'For Your Eyes Only' were being returned with coffee stains and the information in them was openly discussed at his dinner parties.

In 2015 and again in 2016 I visited the UK and never spoke to anyone who would be upset if Camilla became Queen. The comment I heard was 'it is only the Diana fanatics who feel like that and they come out of the woodwork to make a large noise but they don't represent the majority - who couldn't care less'. That is a summary.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Because she was American, divorced more than once, and generally held to be not very pleasant.

If Wallis had been personable and had treated everyone around her with kindness and respect, there might have been fewer objections to the match.
Exactly! And the most important thing, It was 1936, not 2017.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Commoner

Charles popularity

Well I actually live in the UK and have done all my life. I can assure you that the recent TV program has had an influence, and IMO the recent polls are accurate. I don't know any Diana 'fanatics' just people who think she was badly treated, portrayed as being unstable and causing the marriage to fail, when the truth is she became unstable because of the marriage and the way she was treated. People in other countries may feel differently. My American MIL likes Camilla very much.

PS I have a lot of experience of mental health problems, having suffered anorexia in the past, and my much younger brother committed suicide. So I have no time for the 'pull yourself together' attitude displayed by the royals towards Diana. I think William and Harry have done a great thing to call attention to mental health problems.

Tags
future of the monarchy