The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Nobility

Kensington Palace is an enormous complex, it's not just one big building. It's hard to imagine that it could be used as an embassy. Here is an aerial photo of it:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/no...-794120197.jpg

Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Kensington Palace is an enormous complex, it's not just one big building. It's hard to imagine that it could be used as an embassy. Here is an aerial photo of it:

It sure is Cinrit,thanks for posting that aerial photo.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Republicanism in the UK rarely exceeds 20% even when the monarchy was in crisis (which it certainly isnt now). Even during the War of The Wales the monarchy was still more popular than any politician could dream of.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
If it's 75 year old Charles with a 20% popularity rating, that's another.
As usual Scooter i appreciate your deep and objective enthusiasm for Charles and Camilla ...
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post

What I think it all comes down to is that the USA just wanted a more impressive embassy!

(The one in Grosvenor Square is really ugly; it's a big glass/concrete box! What were they thinking? The flags don't even hang straight! No wonder the US government wants another site).
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the Embassy was moving to Wandsworth.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I thought the Embassy was moving to Wandsworth.
They move to the new embassy in 2017, when it's scheduled to be completed. Bit off topic now though.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Or possibly there were rumors of the RF selling it
The RF cannot sell Kensington Palace. They do not own it. It belongs to the state.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Since when did the USA become a third world country?
And as for the existence of the monarchy after Elizabeth, that's debatable. There are 'worries'. If the monarchy wants to survive, they might want to do some adapting.
Oh,read papers and watch the news...it has written third world all over...

There must have been worries,and there were,after Queen Victoria,and Edward turned out to be just what the country needed at the time,he did fine...on all accounts...

Adapting!?Seems to be a key-word in this hyped up day and age,and usually those who pop-up with it have no clue what they talk about...a very common state of affairs as we all know..I think....But ok,premogeniture will be a starter,nothing wrong with that except fuss and people moving air instead of uttering sense needed.But apart from that,no more adapting,they already have their Apple pc's,what else could one possibly do to save a Monarchy......

Nah,everybody blurts whatever,it comes with the bloody senseless hypes these days,the Monarchy isn't about that,and will not give in to that nonsense either,not ever.And Charles will be absolutely fantastic once Monarch,as will his Queen.No doubts at all....except by those who stay around in the pubs too long and haven't got a clue to begin with after two pints....
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Oh,read papers and watch the news...it has written third world all over...
Ha, papers. That's a reliable source of information, obviously.

Quote:
There must have been worries,and there were,after Queen Victoria,and Edward turned out to be just what the country needed at the time,he did fine...on all accounts...
Not sure what that has got to do with this monarchy now? Victoria and Edward are long dead and have no chance of reigning the coming years?

Quote:
Adapting!?Seems to be a key-word in this hyped up day and age,and usually those who pop-up with it have no clue what they talk about...a very common state of affairs as we all know..I think....But ok,premogeniture will be a starter,nothing wrong with that except fuss and people moving air instead of uttering sense needed.But apart from that,no more adapting,they already have their Apple pc's,what else could one possibly do to save a Monarchy......

Nah,everybody blurts whatever,it comes with the bloody senseless hypes these days,the Monarchy isn't about that,and will not give in to that nonsense either,not ever.And Charles will be absolutely fantastic once Monarch,as will his Queen.No doubts at all....except by those who stay around in the pubs too long and haven't got a clue to begin with after two pints....
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about really. You seem to believe that all monarchy's will have the ability to last forever, which they won't. The past proves that. It could be months, weeks, years, decades but the monarchy's of the world will end up disappearing because there is will be no need for figureheads wearing fancy jewellery. This "day and age" in a saying often used by the older generation who tend to have a confused view on modern day goings on. It goes with the saying "In my day". This is my opinion, and you have a different one.

I also have no doubt that Charles and Camilla will do a fine job of serving their country as monarchs. But just because they will do a fine job doesn't mean it saves the monarchy from failure.

A side note: in this post you accuse me of having no clue what i'm talking about and that i've been around pubs too long and don't know where to begin after two pints. This is to me very rude and uncalled for, if I didn't know what I was talking about I would't make a post. Also, seeing as we're talking about our own opinions, I think I know what i'm thinking quite well.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not sure what that has got to do with this monarchy now? Victoria and Edward are long dead and have no chance of reigning the coming years?
He was probably thinking along the lines of Santayana's "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". But with your searing wit it full flight, it soared right over your head!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

Canadians became more enamoured with the monarchy in 2012 | Canada Politics - Yahoo! News Canada
Quote:
According to a new Forum Research poll conducted on behalf of the National Post, only 36 per cent of Canadians are in favour of cutting ties with Buckingham Palace upon the death of Queen Elizabeth. That number is down 7 points from January
What's also interesting in the Forum poll is what's happening in traditionally anti-Royal Quebec — in January, 67 per cent of Quebecers were in favour of cutting ties; today that number sits at just 58 per cent.
Queen Elizabeth is extremely popular in Canada, the last poll has her popularity around 90 percent. Diana was also very popular in Canada and Charles' marriage to Camilla was seen as a blow to monarchists but the latest numbers show there isn't any real danger to the monarchy and even in Quebec, support for Charles and Camilla is on the way up.
All in all, very positive numbers for the future of the Maple Throne in Canada.

I should add in English Canada, support for retaining the monarchy after Queen Elizabeth is around 77 percent.

Tags
future of the monarchy