The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Aristocracy

I think the Monarchy will move along, like it always does, and that Queen Elizabeth II will be well remembered by her people. I also think that at a future time some historian pundit will remark that both Queen Elizabeths reigned remarkably well and remarkably similarly over periods of remarkably similar social and political change.

It is always so - when a good president leaves a company, when the m/patriarch of a family dies, when a political leader retires ... people wonder if the things they held up will stay up. I say this: part of their greatness remains behind as glue.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Nobility

I am sure there were comprehensions when HM had to take over from her father; can a young woman handle it and so on. But I think the monarchy will be just fine, when Charles takes over. He can never be his mother though, and some people might expect him to do things the way she did. I just hope he doesn't die before he has a chance to do the job he has waited for his whole life

Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I hope that Canada becomes a free and sovereign dominion of its own. The best time for this would probably be when the Queen and Prince Charles die of natural causes.
In the meantime, I feel that as one of the richest families in the world, they should pay for their royal visits out of their own pockets; airfare (Canadian Forces), hotel, food, security and the extra police costs, especially in a recession.
People who claim to be true supporters of the royal family can send cash, cheque or money order to Buckingham Palace on top of mandatory taxes.
Source

I wonder how popular this opinion is
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
Source

I wonder how popular this opinion is

Sounds like a rude person actually - you don't invite someone to your home and then say to them - pay for the cost of your visit to my place please - which is what this person is advocating.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sounds like a rude person actually - you don't invite someone to your home and then say to them - pay for the cost of your visit to my place please - which is what this person is advocating.
True, the royals official visists to Canada are always at the invitation of the government. The same can be said about state visits to Canada by other foreign leaders. The writer also fails to acknowledge that Canada is a fully independent nation.
Republicans always make the arguement that monarchy is expensive but fail to acknowledge that republics don't come cheap either. Presidents, and their family, still require official residences, security, the expense of entertaining and travel etc, and then their are the pensions for former presidents. Even in constitutional monarchies people and the press never seem to take a close look at the costs of maintaining the official residences of the PM and other officials who have official residences at their disposal. In Canada the PM, Leader of the Opposition and Speaker of the House of Commons all have official residences. In the UK the list would include several cabinet ministers who have rather grand residences at their disposal, not only in London but country estates as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
True, the royals official visists to Canada are always at the invitation of the government. The same can be said about state visits to Canada by other foreign leaders. The writer also fails to acknowledge that Canada is a fully independent nation.
Republicans always make the arguement that monarchy is expensive but fail to acknowledge that republics don't come cheap either. Presidents, and their family, still require official residences, security, the expense of entertaining and travel etc, and then their are the pensions for former presidents. Even in constitutional monarchies people and the press never seem to take a close look at the costs of maintaining the official residences of the PM and other officials who have official residences at their disposal. In Canada the PM, Leader of the Opposition and Speaker of the House of Commons all have official residences. In the UK the list would include several cabinet ministers who have rather grand residences at their disposal, not only in London but country estates as well.
But if Elizabeth II taking seriously her role as Queen of Canada then she isn't a visiting foreign dignitary but the Canadian sovereign and head of state.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberivs View Post
But if Elizabeth II taking seriously her role as Queen of Canada then she isn't a visiting foreign dignitary but the Canadian sovereign and head of state.
As Queen Elizabeth is head of Canada, do you expect the British to pay for another country's head of state expenses when she is in her own country(that is Canada )??

With this reasoning the Canadians should pay for HM's visits to, let's say Leeds or Liverpool or anywhere in Britain!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberivs View Post
And as the Canadian head of state her expenses in that role are paid for by Canadians.
What I was pointing out was that any foreign dignitary visiting Canada at the invitation of the Canadian government would have their visit paid for bt the Canadian government. People who tend to complain about the costs of royals visits never seem to raise the same complaints about the cost of a visit by the President of the US, the President of Israel, the President of Brazil or the Emperor of Japan. Do they imagine that those visits are paid for by the visitors?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
To all you that are familiar with the Brittish rules regarding titles - will not Camilla become Queen when Charles ascends the throne whether she choose to use the title or not?
Just like right she is the Princess of Wales dispite the fact she uses the Duchess of Cornwall. She will be Queen one day whether some like it or not.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I think the months between the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the coronation are doing to be fill of constitutional legal wranglings. I expect that Charles' will not be coronated in any religious fashion and that will serve his 'defender of the faiths' credo. just like his legal team will come up with a way to have Camilla crown Queen without her becoming Queen.
He will also narrow down the family. I expect the first in the firing line will be the Kents, Glouchester, Wessexs and Princess Alexander. It will simply be explained that they are not longer necessary and will be shortly dismissed. It depends on his own family whether he will do the same to Princess Anne and Andrew and his children. If William and Harry is married - they will also not be needed. So the royal family will simply be - the current Wales family with spouses.
I expect the family to be media savvy. Otherwise saying they will live out of the hands of the press. This is not to say that this will be good as I expect the Wales to have more problems then they have already faced in the future.

Andrew and Anne could possibly go on to jobs in the UN. It might work well. Anne could do her Save the Children full time. I expect that Beatrice and Eugenie will became fully American probably marry there and raise their family there. Edward and Sophie could possibly do something similiar and the possiblities are endless for Louise.
I only feel sorry for the elder members of the royal family. They are too old to start something new. Maybe Charles will let them continue doing engagements till their deaths.
I also expect the royal households to be narrow down. I believe that Sandringham and the scotish castle will be giving to back to the Government. Kensington Palace will possibly became the new American embassy.

I expect Charles and maybe William to reign (if you could call it that ) will not last long. Scotland will move away. As will Australia, New Zealand and Canada and after that they will no longer be the figurehead of the Commonwealth. I expect the monarchy to be dissolved within a decade of the Queen's death. The reign of Prince Charles and William will be in final death knell.
Wow this is unbelievable. To each their own.?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I would say its a mix of disappointment and the fact that he is completely boring. Just my opinion of course!
I find Charles completely the opposite of boring
Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
Wow this is unbelievable. To each their own.?
It was perhaps one of the weirdest posts I've ever read on these forums.

Kensington Palace the New American Embassy? Now that is what I call wishfull thinking!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

Kensington Palace the New American Embassy? Now that is what I call wishfull thinking!

That was a rumour some years ago actually but The Queen rejected the idea then. Queen rejects US request to use Kensington Palace as embassy - Telegraph

Who knows what a future monarch might do though?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, the Queen certainly had/has some sense. And do observe that the request came from American officials, and not from within Britain. Again, wishful thinking it would have appeared.

And surely her son shall share her resolve and view the palace as a purely English centrepoint of historic national significance.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Aristocracy

Very strange indeed. Could not believe it when I read it so i reread it. Everyone has a idea how things should go I guess.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Well, the Queen certainly had/has some sense. And do observe that the request came from American officials, and not from within Britain. Again, wishful thinking it would have appeared.

And surely her son shall share her resolve and view the palace as a purely English centrepoint of historic national significance.
As much as Charles is a traditionalist and with his love of architecture, there's not a snowball's chance in my oven that he'd ever think of relinquishing Kensington Palace to any foreign nation. William has quite a history of his life there and will have in years to come also so I can't see him giving it up either. IF for some reason it was relinquished as a residence and offices of the Monarch and family, it most likely would become a British national historic landmark.

I would see the Tower of London becoming a McDonald's first.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Rediculous,as if they can pull everything...they think they can,but really...
to have a third world country infest that glorious Palace is just hilarious!!

The sheer arrogance on the thought alone....

But to get back to the topic...There will still be a Monarchy after Aunt Lillibeth and after Charles and after William...No worries there at all.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

But to get back to the topic...There will still be a Monarchy after Aunt Lillibeth and after Charles and after William...No worries there at all.
Since when did the USA become a third world country?
And as for the existence of the monarchy after Elizabeth, that's debatable. There are 'worries'. If the monarchy wants to survive, they might want to do some adapting.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think a lot depends on the timing of her death, and the popularity of the heir, who ever that might be at the time of her death. For example, should William out live Charles, and is still enjoying the white hot popularity that he and Catherine have now, then that's one scenario. If it's 75 year old Charles with a 20% popularity rating, that's another.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

Perhaps that idea (KP as the embassy) was in the nature of a joke?
Or possibly there were rumors of the RF selling it, so someone decided to chance it? I don't see any arrogance about it!

As for the future of the monarchy, I see it enduring for practical reasons; does anyone truly want the Head of State to be a politician in a business suit?

Tags
future of the monarchy